Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

david75 wrote: »
    He or his manager seem to have invested in twitter defence. Endless amounts of obviously bots / fake accounts defending him on there.

Who is/was his management?

You can't seriously be implying someone who works in the media takes coke?!?

Whatever next.

that's the point I'm making, saying Porter had coke etc means Fook all really, ok it paints a seedy picture of him but It means feck all, everyone in entertainment seem to function only when they're on it, blah blah blah self asteem, body image issues, I wasn't hugged as a child...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Wowbagger wrote: »
    Was a member here many moons ago. Mentioned in a post that Jimmy Saville looked like a nonce! :)

he's still on the prowl. Was over in alt/indie recently singing the praises of Shed Seven!

If he wants to make a comeback under a new name, I'd suggest Alec Guinness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Porter has denied everything.
    Has he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bit unfair, all we know so far is that Porter was sending lewd texts to a 15 year old boy. Porter has denied everything and has yet to be convicted of anything so he cannot be called "a nonce" as you say

Hold on, are the screenshots of his text messages that are doing the rounds to a 15 year old boy!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

what's the jist of these messages? I haven't seen them or seen anything about them other than here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I might get absolutely slaughtered for this but I think the acceptance of gay lifestyle by the mass majority of Irish people (and rightly so) has given a very small minority of gay men the idea that now that they are accepted they can do what they like,
    Iv seen countless incidents in recent years in and out of the work place where i'm left thinking if that was a man to a women they'd be in serious trouble, again I know its a small minority and I'm not gay bashing iv no issue what so ever with people sexuality
    Al Porter has been doing this in plain sight and getting away with it up to this point just shows there is certainly an issue at hand , I think some straight men don't know how to react if they are subjected to these situations and think its probably best to laugh it off from fear of not knowing how to cope with it ,

Adamocovic wrote: »
    what's the jist of these messages? I haven't seen them or seen anything about them other than here.
    One sending pic of his privates to a guy that clearly has no intrest in him and tell's hm so in early texts ,
    Another doing the rounds is that he grab an young Irish band member by the privates and tried to kiss him in a RTE studio , They guy laughed it off , then as the interview went on Al was outside the window making blowjob gestures at him, He later got the guys phone number and continued to text him in appropriate stuff , even saying he got the bands song on the RTE play list and he owned him naked pics in return, texting him this kinds of pictures of himself  stuff every time the song was played and asking for return pictures or he wouldn't;t play the band anymore,
    These are what is the rumours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

One sending pic of his privates to a guy that clearly has no intrest in him and tell's hm so in early texts ,
    Another doing the rounds is that he grab an young Irish band member by the privates and tried to kiss him in a RTE studio , They guy laughed it off , then as the interview went on Al was outside the window making blowjob gestures at him, He later got the guys phone number and continued to text him in appropriate stuff , even saying he got the bands song on the RTE play list and he owned him naked pics in return, texting him this kinds of pictures of himself  stuff every time the song was played and asking for return pictures or he wouldn't;t play the band anymore,

You mean Today FM not RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I might get absolutely slaughtered for this but I think the acceptance of gay lifestyle by the mass majority of Irish people (and rightly so) has given a very small minority of gay men the idea that now that they are accepted they can do what they like,
    Iv seen countless incidents in recent years in and out of the work place where i'm left thinking if that was a man to a women they'd be in serious trouble, again I know its a small minority and I'm not gay bashing iv no issue what so ever with people sexuality
    Al Porter has been doing this in plain sight and getting away with it up to this point just shows there is certainly an issue at hand , I think some straight men don't know how to react if they are subjected to these situations and think its probably best to laugh it off from fear of not knowing how to cope with it ,

A friend of mine grabbed a girl by the arse in a pub one night. She rightly proceeded to redden his ear for about 10 mins after til he apologised.

He didnt do it because acceptance of his sexuality made him think he could get away with it. He did it because he was acting the prick and thought he could get away with it. Ive no doubt its the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

You'll have to give examples and show how it differs from straight male behaviour.

A friend of mine grabbed a girl by the arse in a pub one night. She rightly proceeded to redden his ear for about 10 mins after til he apologised.

He didnt do it because acceptance of his sexuality made him think he could get away with it. He did it because he was acting the prick and thought he could get away with it. Ive no doubt its the same here.
    You just said yourself "thought he could get away with it "
     I think this plays a huge part with AL Porter even from his "apology " he used being "flamboyant and outrageous persona " as an excuse, He went down the gay lad having the bants road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Al Porter appears to be a classic example of someone who's behaviour is not challenged because he was/is "jolly and fun" as well as being gay. It's amazing how much more you can get away with if you do it/say it with a smile and a laugh. I wouldn't be shocked if he turned out to be a right spoilt-brat/bully in private.

cloudatlas wrote: »

You'll have to give examples and show how it differs from straight male behaviour.

Your missing my point It doesn't differ at all its un acceptable for both, I'm saying I have personally seen it happen on more frequent occasion's in recent years with gay men making comments to straight guys  ,
    Doesn't mean one is worse than the other, and again its a minority

You mean Today FM not RTE.
    Sorry Today FM my mistake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

You’re effectively saying all gay lads are like this. Or somehow our official acknowledgement of gay people in our society (at Last) is responsible.

It is absolutely not the case. The guy doing all this just happens to be gay and a minor celebrity in Ireland. Regular Women deal with this **** all the time off lads and we’re not blaming all straight lads for it.

Porter has done a huge disservice to the gay community with all this. Tarring us all with that brush. He’s clearly got a sexual disfunction, he has mid level celebrity and takes a lot of coke going by any of his tv appearances and that’s a cocktail for a serious ego and that leads him to use that to push himself on lads just cos ‘ who he is’ in his own mind enables him to think he’s allowed do that.

That is in no way the norm for anyone gay or straight. It’s just not on saying it’s gay peoples fault or our acceptance of gay people. He’s a total outlier exception he is in no way the rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

One sending pic of his privates to a guy that clearly has no intrest in him.

He shouldn't have responded to the messages after initially telling him he wasn't interested.

You’re effectively saying all gay lads are like this. Or somehow our official acknowledgement of gay people in our society (at Last) is responsible.  

It is absolutely not the case. The guy doing all this just happens to be gay and a minor celebrity in Ireland. Regular Women deal with this **** all the time off lads and we’re not blaming all straight lads for it.

Porter has done a huge disservice to the gay community with all this. Tarring us all with that brush. He’s clearly got a sexual disfunction, he has mid level celebrity and takes a lot of coke going by any of his tv appearances and that’s a cocktail for a serious ego and that leads him to use that to push himself on lads just cos ‘ who he is’ in his own mind enables him to think he’s allowed do that.

That is in no way the norm for anyone gay or straight. It’s just not on saying it’s gay peoples fault or our acceptance of gay people. He’s a total outlier exception he is in no way the rule.
    Where did I say all gay lads, where do you get that from ?
    There no way I think that all gay lads are like this , there not at all ,

• Advertisement

Regular Women deal with this **** all the time off lads and we’re not blaming all straight lads for it.

Ah, yeah, all men are getting the blame. Where have you been?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/metoo-i-was-six-the-first-time-a-man-made-me-feel-uncomfortable-1.3260390

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798931

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Where did I say all gay lads, where do you get that from ?
    There no way I think that all gay lads are like this , there not at all ,

Sorry I was meant to quote a post above yours my apologies.

Effects wrote: »
    One sending pic of his privates to a guy that clearly has no intrest in him.

He shouldn't have responded to the messages after initially telling him he wasn't interested.
    Why not ? are yous ome how saying its his fault he got sent a picture of  someone's privates out of the blue ?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Don't know if this has been posted already but some of the stuff he says here kind of indicates that he might have had an inkling something was brewing, it's from 8th of October.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/comedian-al-porter-reveals-thoughts-11272422

“No, I don’t get on with other comedians. I don’t know. I often wonder if I have a persecution complex or whether it’s in my head, but I do think there are a lot of comedians who don’t like me.

I wonder why Al?

“I have heard rumours of backchat, and that is coming from all sorts of different people.

“I am one of those people who feels this could just all go away in a minute, so I am not
    interested in getting into a mortgage that I can afford this year and next year, and then what happens?”

whilst working the red carpet a few years ago, I saw a camper than camp correspondent ask if he could feel scarlet johanssens bra/tit and then proceeded
    to do it anyway. you can see she's shocked but laughs etc, I'm sure you can google it on youtube.

Had this been a straight guy?????#metoo !!!

I just find that strange and often some gay lads are very intrusive in this way.

Why not ? are yous ome how saying its his fault he got sent a picture of  someone's privates out of the blue ?

Not at all blaming him. I just wouldn't have entertained him, made comments about how big his dick was or asked what kind of dick pics he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I think this plays a huge part with AL Porter even from his "apology " he used being "flamboyant and outrageous persona " as an excuse, He went down the gay lad having the bants road

My point was, plenty of people do stuff like that who arent gay. They think they can get away with it for many reasons; that the recipient might actually be a willing participant, that theyre good looking enough and doing the recipient a favour, that theyre powerful enough to do it, and many others.

Al Porter may have been thinking all or any of these things, but I think its wrong to say societys attitudes to gay people gave rise to it. I have gay friends and family, none of whom participate in this kind of behaviour.

rusty cole wrote: »

whilst working the red carpet a few years ago, I saw a camper than camp correspondent ask if he could feel scarlet johanssens bra/tit and then proceeded
    to do it anyway. you can see she's shocked but laughs etc, I'm sure you can google it on youtube.

Had this been a straight guy?????#metoo  !!!

I just find that strange and often some gay lads are very intrusive in this way.
    Obviously this is a very small minority that behave like this but I think they get away with it as people don't really know how to react to it, that was the point I was originally making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You will be slaughtered but your absolutely spot on.
    There are dickheads out there of every gender and sexual persuasion but the general “feeling” at the moment is that only the straight white Christian male ones can be admonished in any way.

My point was, plenty of people do stuff like that who arent gay. They think they can get away with it for many reasons; that the recipient might actually be a willing participant, that theyre good looking enough and doing the recipient a favour, that theyre powerful enough to do it, and many others.

Al Porter may have been thinking all or any of these things, but I think its wrong to say societys attitudes to gay people gave rise to it. I have gay friends and family, none of whom participate in this kind of behaviour.
    I said a small minority , iv seen it with my own 2 eyes in the work place,
    It's natural that once gay life style was accepted into our country and rightly so , that the gay community would have the same issues as the straight community where you have a small minority that are idiots ,
    The fact that its no longer a hidden lifestyle it mean that also there issue's will also be more visible in the general public , there the same issues that we have in the straight community , neither is right and nether is worse than the other ,

splinter65 wrote: »

There are dickheads out there of every gender and sexual persuasion but the general “feeling” at the moment is that only the straight white Christian male ones can be admonished in any way.
    that's my point but the PC brigade couldn't possible see the sense, God forbid we can all have the same issues

• Advertisement

johanssen spoke of the Weinstein crack etc and yet no #metoo for that same space invading/groping live on TV, strange that.....I wonder why???

in saying that, theres' too gay lads on goggle box and sure they're sound out!!:D

this rotten apple tis spoiling it for everyone, when can we get back to the studio 54 days again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

tinpib wrote: »
    Apparently the Secret RTE Producer on Twitter is going to tell all about Al working on Electric Picnic last year. @rtesecretpro

Just had a look at that there. Not that it diminishes any of the Al porter stuff but from skimming the account only one tweet stood out as being about the lad arrested in Leeds (a short one "everyone is shocked " type). Seems a bit hypocritical to be so quiet on it, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Had this been a straight guy?????#metoo !!!

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/10/flashback-scarlett-johansonn-gets-groped-reporter-red-carpet-video/

Isaac Mizrahi (the type so parodied by Peter Serafinowicz on the O News! segments) Being gay is presumed to give licence as they are not getting a hard on in the mind of this fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

splinter65 wrote: »

Some persecution complex you have going on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

johanssen spoke of the Weinstein crack etc and yet no #metoo for that same space invading/groping live on TV, strange that.....I wonder why???

Maybe she felt that incident wasn't serious enough to warrant it. I mean, plenty of people were giving out when they deemed other women's #metoo stories not serious enough compared to others', maybe she just didn't think it was worth bringing up compared to other stories.

Because the intentions of both men are completely different. How can you not see that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Has the Irish band member been named?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'll try, in my experience, extravagant and excessive flirtation is much more acceptable / expected from some "flamboyant" gay men as Al might put it. They are obviously a minority but they are a loud and annoying minority. Porter's statement goes along with this.... don't judge my actions, I'm just outrageously gay ya'know.

I have personal examples of it as a straight guy who socialised a lot with gay housemates fado fado, mentioned briefly in this thread. There's an issue if you've an issue with it. You can very quickly become the problem if you have a problem.

Because the intentions of both men are completely different. How can you not see that?

of course I can see that, that you cannot see, that I can see that is not worth depating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Just had a look at that there. Not that it diminishes any of the Al porter stuff but from skimming the account only one tweet stood out as being about the lad arrested in Leeds (a short one "everyone is shocked " type). Seems a bit hypocritical to be so quiet on it, no?

Do people think that account is run by an actual current or past RTE producer?

It’s clear from the tweets they know nothing. They are asking for DMs from people that do know something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So if he got up on her with good intentions it would okay?

Some mental gymnastics you're doing there

PARlance wrote: »
    I'll try, in my experience, extravagant and excessive flirtation is much more acceptable / expected from some "flamboyant" gay men as Al might put it. They are obviously a minority but they are a loud and annoying minority. Porter's statement goes along with this.... don't judge my actions, I'm just outrageously gay ya'know.

I have personal examples of it as a straight guy who socialised a lot with gay housemates fado fado, mentioned briefly in this thread. There's an issue if you've an issue with it. You can very quickly become the problem if you have a problem.

In your opinion they're "loud and annoying", other people including myself like flamboyant people. World would be a very grey place if everyone was the same.

Is there no room anymore for eccentricity?

I'm not talking about what Al Porter did now but in general.

johnire wrote: »
    I think they said his name was Roan the youngest member of a band from Tullamore that where on the Louise Duffy show

Leads me to think the band its Chasing Abbey , a trio one of which is called Ro ?

Leads me to think the band its Chasing Abbey , a trio one of which is called Ro ?

Does it really matter which Z celebrity it was? Bugs me that people are so obsessed with this kind of detail. :mad:

so weinstien steals her purse and the other guy does the same but then gives it back afterwards, because his intentions are good.

doesn't take away from the fact, putting you hands on someone like that is unacceptable. also using your position to manipulate them into allowing you
    to do, so is also not acceptable. if she slapped his hand, she's seen as cold and not game for a laugh, and he knew that, and exploited it for a "red carpets most talked about" segment in my opinion.

Look what I can get away with lads, all you straight lads would be hung for same!! that's what I find strange that's all, not getting into a war and derailing the thread over it, it's just odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

that's the point I'm making, saying Porter had coke etc means Fook all really, ok it paints a seedy picture of him but It means feck all, everyone in entertainment seem to function only when they're on it, blah blah blah self asteem, body image issues, I wasn't hugged as a child...

Gerry Ryan was the biggest coke head going but these days people have him practically canonised.

Bambi wrote: »
    So if he got up on her with good intentions it would okay?

Some mental gymnastics you're doing there

I'm confused by your response. Are you trying to say that a consensual relationship and sexual assault are the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

pilly wrote: »
    Some persecution complex you have going on there?

Well pilly as I only fill 2 of those criteria I don’t see how I could have a persecution complex about being male and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

johnire wrote: »
    I think they said his name was Roan the youngest member of a band from Tullamore that where on the Louise Duffy show

Well if you google some of the obvious words associated with the band and it's not hard to see who it could be. Is there that many bands from Tullamore getting loads of Today FM play and Louis Duffy praising them?

It's easy to see why the band in question wouldn't come out about this as they wouldn't want their name to be forever associated with Al Porter's shenanigans and have to talk about it all the time, especially given they are still a new band.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement