Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

rusty cole wrote: »
    so weinstien steals her purse and the other guy does the same but then gives it back afterwards, because his intentions are good.
    It's not the same thing.
    Doesn't take away from the fact, putting you hands on someone like that is unacceptable.

It depends on whether she feels it's unacceptable or not. Same way as it's her decision as to whether she's being threatened or not. It's not your place to decide that for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I might get absolutely slaughtered for this but I think the acceptance of gay lifestyle by the mass majority of Irish people (and rightly so) has given a very small minority of gay men the idea that now that they are accepted they can do what they like,
    Iv seen countless incidents in recent years in and out of the work place where i'm left thinking if that was a man to a women they'd be in serious trouble, again I know its a small minority and I'm not gay bashing iv no issue what so ever with people sexuality
    Al Porter has been doing this in plain sight and getting away with it up to this point just shows there is certainly an issue at hand , I think some straight men don't know how to react if they are subjected to these situations and think its probably best to laugh it off from fear of not knowing how to cope with it ,

Pretty sure I'd know what I'd do, and it would be sparking him clean out.

I think that has become a real highlighted issue this year from either this, the Hollywood scandals, the football abuse cases. That whatever about the incidents themselves which arn't on, it's also the confused and unsure reactions of the victims and individuals, based on the profile and importance (potentially to their careers etc) of the person perpetrating.

I know I'd floor someone who did that in those circumstances, but I can understand someone being in a cutthroat world like sport, media or entertainment putting up with it, in fear of their career maybe hitting a bump with the person in question exerting that pressure.

That's the real seedy part for me, the belief the perpetrator can exert this sort of behaviour because they think they are a big deal or hold the keys to some peoples careers or lifes.

I actually didn't know Al Porter before this scandal, granted there was discussions and rumours in a group of friends I have, but I didn't exactly tune in cause I wasn't overly interested in the individual. But since its come out, seeing the "defence" by I don't know, fans? is actually hilarious.

I used to break my hole laughing at those ads on TV that got shown through UK channels about basically outlining how rape or non consent is not ok, and just be like "who the **** needs to be told this" and it actually transpires, it's a serious amount of people : /

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Effects wrote: »
    I'm confused by your response. Are you trying to say that a consensual relationship and sexual assault are the same thing?

You're confused alright

I'm saying men shouldn't go around grabbing womens breasts without a by-your-leave regardless of what team they seem to play for, or if they change sides at half time or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

pilly wrote: »
    In your opinion they're "loud and annoying", other people including myself like flamboyant people. World would be a very grey place if everyone was the same.

Is there no room anymore for eccentricity?

I'm not talking about what Al Porter did now but in general.

That's some tangent, I welcome eccentricity. I just don't let people use it as an excuse to act like a pr1ck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

TheDoc wrote: »

I used to break my hole laughing at those ads on TV that got shown through UK channels about basically outlining how rape or non consent is not ok, and just be like "who the **** needs to be told this" and it actually transpires, it's a serious amount of people : /

Do you think the problem is these predatory dickheads just didn't get the memo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

that's my point but the PC brigade couldn't possible see the sense, God forbid we can all have the same issues
    What's the "PC Brigade" got to do with this?

Al Porter is gay man and he's getting destroyed for this.

Straight men are getting destroyed for it.

Assholes who think they have the right touch people up, are getting called out and destroyed. Where is the PC brigade aspect to this?

So, what's exactly your point?

If your point is that this seems to be something that has become more commonplace from gay people, then you're probably right. Because 20 years ago an asshole who felt up another man was more likely to find himself thrown in the canal.
    And because those who were assaulted by someone of the same sex were even more afraid to come forward, lest they be outed as gay too.

Gay equality didn't cause sexual assault to become more likely, it just shines a light into the shadows where it's been hiding all along.

I heard a few lads in work talking about those txts on break.
    Jasus he sounds like a pair of arm bands and a dildo short of
    throwing a Barrymore pool party.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bambi wrote: »
    Do you think the problem is these predatory dickheads just didn't get the memo?

Yeah I guess I'm a bit more, from seeing the defenders of Porter from pictures people are sharing on Twitter and Facebook, that they simply don't seem to comprahend why its wrong and what the issue is.

I'm actually not ****ting you, I saw a screenshot someone took of a thread where one man is like posting logic and about how this is a problem and being shot down by loads of people, with one person outlining how " sure most people would only love getting that attention from a celebrity"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I heard a few lads in work talking about those txts on break.
    Jasus he sounds like a pair of arm bands and a dildo short of
    throwing a Barrymore pool party.:D

Best post of the thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can someone tell me the relevance of the band member in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

hard to believe in a week this guy has gone from loveable camp presenter, to a bit handsy, to a full on sex pest, to touching up people on hospital beds in psychiatric wards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

seamus wrote: »
    that's my point but the PC brigade couldn't possible see the sense, God forbid we can all have the same issues
    What's the "PC Brigade" got to do with this?

Al Porter is gay man and he's getting destroyed for this.

Straight men are getting destroyed for it.

Assholes who think they have the right touch people up, are getting called out and destroyed. Where is the PC brigade aspect to this?

So, what's exactly your point?

If your point is that this seems to be something that has become more commonplace from gay people, then you're probably right. Because 20 years ago an asshole who felt up another man was more likely to find himself thrown in the canal.
    And because those who were assaulted by someone of the same sex were even more afraid to come forward, lest they be outed as gay too.

Gay equality didn't cause sexual assault to become more likely, it just shines a light into the shadows where it's been hiding all along.
    That's what I exactly what I said ,I agree with you ,
    Its not more likely its more likely to be seen ,
    My PC remark was over someone trying to make out that I had a problem with gay men when I said nothing of the sort,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Can someone tell me the relevance of the band member in this?

The relevance to him, if this is all true, Al was using his position on the radio to try and get dirty pics in return for more airtime and plays for the band on the station. By not sending anything he was threatening to take them off the playlist altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kyng Shaggy Strap

showpony1 wrote: »
    hard to believe in a week this guy has gone from loveable camp presenter, to a bit handsy, to a full on sex pest, to touching up people on hospital beds in psychiatric wards...

Loveable is a bit of a stretch now

Loveable is a bit of a stretch now

Ah the oul ones love that sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What's are these texts people are on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Short Message Service (SMS) is a text messaging service component of most telephone, World Wide Web, and mobile device systems. It uses standardized communication protocols to enable mobile devices to exchange short text messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Short Message Service (SMS) is a text messaging service component of most telephone, World Wide Web, and mobile device systems. It uses standardized communication protocols to enable mobile devices to exchange short text messages.

It'll never catch on

just harmless flirting about smashing lads back doors in!

showpony1 wrote: »

In a year or so he'll quite likely be making a career out of telling folks about the anxiety etc etc .......... all the negative press made him depressed etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

It's looking increasingly like we had a young Jimmy Saville in the making here. The similarities are really beginning to emerge and I believe TV3 were in priliminary discussions to do a reboot of the "Jim'll fix it" show with Al taking Jimmy's role. The targeting of vunerable patients in a psychiatric hostpital, the abuse of power in the radio station, the gurning, mincing pose to camera. One shudders to think what would have happened had these brave individuals not come forward about his dispicable actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Ballstein wrote: »
    It's looking increasingly like we had a young Jimmy Saville in the making here. The similarities are really beginning to emerge and I believe TV3 were in priliminary discussions to do a reboot of the "Jim'll fix it" show with Al taking Jimmy's role. The targeting of vunerable patients in a psychiatric hostpital, the abuse of power in the radio station, the gurning, mincing pose to camera. One shudders to think what would have happened had these brave individuals not come forward about his dispicable actions.

Yes this disgusting devient behaviour is a step too far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fcukin hell, "al will fix it"? Jeez thankfully this guy has been found out before that got made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Do you have a link to backup your claim that TV3 were looking to reboot "Jim'll fix it"?

TBH I think you're making it up as I do not believe for one second that any broadcaster would even consider producing anything so closely linked to Jimmy Saville.

He's a 24 year old horn dog that rose too far to quickly and needed a slap to cop onto himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

PARlance wrote: »
    That's some tangent, I welcome eccentricity. I just don't let people use it as an excuse to act like a pr1ck.

Eh, your issue is you being uncomfortable with gay men being flamboyant or camp, they shouldn't have to change their behaviour to accommodate you. Porter may tried to have justified his behaviour as being part of his camp personality however it's a crappy justification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Eh, your issue is you being uncomfortable with gay men being flamboyant or camp, they shouldn't have to change their behaviour to accommodate you. Porter may tried to have justified his behaviour as being part of his camp personality however it's a crappy justification.

Agree. It's a terrible attempt to justify extremely serious allegations.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

And where did you stumble upon this piece of information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

whilst working the red carpet a few years ago, I saw a camper than camp correspondent ask if he could feel scarlet johanssens bra/tit and then proceeded
    to do it anyway. you can see she's shocked but laughs etc, I'm sure you can google it on youtube.

Had this been a straight guy?????#metoo !!!

I just find that strange and often some gay lads are very intrusive in this way.

I've had a gay guy grab my boobs, I suppose I'd see it in the same way as a straight woman grabbing my boobs, I'd be a bit taken aback but I wouldn't be overly annoyed, I suppose because there's no sexual element to it. I do think that as a woman I get away with more if I do grope a man, a lot of my posts are smutty but if I were a male poster I think I would have been called up on it, or possibly called up on some of my posts anyway, but by being female I am let off the hook. Having said all of that though, by and large, the people who have groped me the most have been straight men, now I am not saying that all straight men do this, they are in the minority, but to clarify that I don't think that gay lads are the biggest culprits, well they haven't been in my experience anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

And where did you stumble upon this piece of information?

It could have been TG4 he said, it was at EP and I was very drunk. I was chatting to him and he was saying he wanted to fix it for me to milk a cow blind folded.

It could have been TG4 he said, it was at EP and I was very drunk. I was chatting to him and he was saying he wanted to fix it for me to milk a cow blind folded.

Jaysus you invested heavily in that punchline

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Jaysus you invested heavily in that punchline

That's a punchline? I thought the cat had run across his keyboard.

I've had a gay guy grab my boobs, I suppose I'd see it in the same way as a straight woman grabbing my boobs, I'd be a bit taken aback but I wouldn't be overly annoyed, I suppose because there's no sexual element to it. I do think that as a woman I get away with more if I do grope a man, a lot of my posts are smutty but if I were a male poster I think I would have been called up on it, or possibly called up on some of my posts anyway, but by being female I am let off the hook. Having said all of that though, by and large, the people who have groped me the most have been straight men, now I am not saying that all straight men do this, they are in the minority, but to clarify that I don't think that gay lads are the biggest culprits, well they haven't been in my experience anyway.

That's kinda the problem in a nutshell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

A gay guy grabbbing his pals boobs messin is not the same thing as being pushed up against a wall by someone you don’t know or barely know and your crotch grabbed. And the guy doing it thinking he can either or both cos he’s a celebrity and he’s ‘only having the banter(if you object) / will take full advantage if you don’t.
    One is just a gay guy with his girl mates. The other is al porter.

ok so two total strange men grab your boobs, guys you never knew or had any relationship with, the difference is one is gay and the other is straight!! you wouldn't be offended by the gay guy cos there's no sexual element to it?
    but you'd #metoo the f*ck outa the straight guy???.

• Advertisement

ok so two total strange men grab your boobs, guys you never knew or had any relationship with, the difference is one is gay and the other is straight!! you wouldn't be offended by the gay guy cos there's no sexual element to it?
    but you'd #metoo the f*ck outa the straight guy???.

Nope, I'd be more annoyed about the straight guy and I'd tell him to get off and that would be the end of it. No #metoo or sexual assault claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Do you have a link to backup your claim that TV3 were looking to reboot "Jim'll fix it"?

TBH I think you're making it up as I do not believe for one second that any broadcaster would even consider producing anything so closely linked to Jimmy Saville.

Think you missed the joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Perhaps the reason is that there are far more straight guys

Perhaps the reason is that there are far more straight guys

I was responding to someone that said that gay men are often intrusive in this way.

Brego888 wrote: »
    Think you missed the joke

Think you misunderstand what a joke is.

First and foremost they are supposed to be funny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Think you misunderstand what a joke is.

First and foremost they are supposed to be funny...

It wasn't my joke. But it certainly went over your head.

Nope, I'd be more annoyed about the straight guy and I'd tell him to get off and that would be the end of it. No #metoo or sexual assault claims.

We're all on a bit of a learning curve here so I'm finding this interesting. You could by law have both done for assault. Let's say two people had a body part grabbed one didn't care and the other pursued through the legal system. Two very different outcomes and that's where we are today.... Throw a celebrity into the mix and you have the twitter career ending route.

Brego888 wrote: »
    It wasn't my joke. But it certainly went over your head.

You're implying it was identifiable as a joke.

I disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You're implying it was identifiable as a joke.

I disagree.

Ah!
    The cow was blind-folded...

Ah!
    The cow was blind-folded...

Trace back Roger instead of lazily joining in at the end! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

The **** are you two ****eing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Trace back Roger instead of lazily joining in at the end! :rolleyes:

Saucy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Something tells me he's going to become a Channel 4 star after all of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,168 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Something tells me he's going to become a Channel 4 star after all of this.

Yep - when Louis Theroux makes a documentary about him...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement