Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Rory28 wrote: »
    Can I get in on this?

Me too !

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

No in fairness now, Blind Date was pretty bad in terms of the innuendo- definitely one you'd be embarrassed to watch with your granny, and no way would I put that on for kids. Fair enough you saying that you were fine with the show, but I saw plenty of stuff I wouldn't have been comfortable to watch with kids. I'm gay and I think my boyfriend is as well and we watched the first episode because on ex of one of our friends was on - that programme was really bad, and really made me dislike Al Porter before any of this started - nothing to do with his sexuality or the scandal, it was just a very bad crass unfunny show.

I think the confusion is that there are two versions of blind date - Cilla Blacks one from the 80's/90's and Al Porters one. The format is the same but the content has definitely moved on from the CB days.

Back when I was a kid watching it with VERY religious parents, it was clean gags with a bit of innuendo that parents got but that went over the children's heads. It was on earlier - around 7 or 8 or so as far as I can remember, and like Bot42 says, it was aimed at a family audience. There was never any reference to sex or sex acts or genitalia other than like I mentioned before, something so oblique it would go over the children's heads. ie. one you'd watch with your granny.

I've never watched AP's version of it but if he was talking about shagging or mickeys then it's a very different version to the 80's one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

This is being produced and marketed as what the general public want because the media want to push it and can justify it when some people think what he and other vulgar comedians do is funny. The media are a dirty lot by and large and cater for the lowest forms of entertainment. The media of course knew full well what Porter is and still his face was all over the TV and papers and his voice all over radio. Also one wonders where all these relatively small stations can get the money to pay him and others like him their inflated salaries.

Today FM is owned by Communicorp / Denis O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Too Much Porter will give you the runs

Please click here..........................

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Too Much Porter will give you the runs

Please click here..........................

Don't click there. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Neyite wrote: »
    I think the confusion is that there are two versions of blind date - Cilla Blacks one from the 80's/90's and Al Porters one. The format is the same but the content has definitely moved on from the CB days.

Back when I was a kid watching it with VERY religious parents, it was clean gags with a bit of innuendo that parents got but that went over the children's heads. It was on earlier - around 7 or 8 or so as far as I can remember, and like Bot42 says, it was aimed at a family audience. There was never any reference to sex or sex acts or genitalia other than like I mentioned before, something so oblique it would go over the children's heads. ie. one you'd watch with your granny.

I've never watched AP's version of it but if he was talking about shagging or mickeys then it's a very different version to the 80's one.

You see that's where I'm confused. There's no mention of shagging or mickeys.

At least you admit to not having ever seen it. Some are posting about the "filth" and pretending they've actually seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Al's Blind Date is offensive to me by how bad it was, it was possibly the worst programme I have ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Irish Times really should have pulled their article on him from their It's Christmas magazine. Doesn't read particularly well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

pilly wrote: »

At least you admit to not having ever seen it. Some are posting about the "filth" and pretending they've actually seen it.

I dont watch a huge amount of tv and I'd never heard of Al Porter until all this news over the last week, I looked up blind date on sky go tonight to see who he was and what all this sh*te was about and I see two minutes of an intro and he comes out with some muck anecdote about his aul one shopping where the punchline is "if yer not careful ye could end up with an unexpected item in yer baggage area" and he sticks his hole out. cue *rapturous applause and canned laughter*

jaysus wept, if he's not limited to just a one man show of incredibly thick, crass muck then I was very unlucky to see that much because it was brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

The Irish Times really should have pulled their article on him from their It's Christmas magazine. Doesn't read particularly well.

You read it so I suppose that justifies printing it

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

pilly wrote: »

Somebody upthread mentioned it, so I was responding to that. But even sticking out his arse and saying "unexpected item in the baggage area" as another poster describes it, would have been much more coarse than the CB days.

The one positive from all this is that we can say ta ra ta ra to that awful blind date remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

cisk wrote: »
    The one positive from all this is that we can say ta ra ta ra to that awful blind date remake.

One less irritating face for the Late Late Valentines special in February too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭stephen812

Just stumbled across this, makes for interesting viewing:

"I feel like I should hold something...... if only somebody had something mic shaped"

https://youtu.be/qTaJ-62HARs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    #metoo

FTFY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

I wonder has this affected Al Porter at all? what would he be doing right now? probably in bed having a good long think about what he did, or maybe he just doesnt give a hoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Some quotes from a previous interview Al Porter made before allegations have come out.

You couldn't make this stuff up.
    “I don’t care how provocatively a woman dresses, or how late at night she arranged to have a business meeting with you. Or whether it was in your hotel room or not. If you’re grabbing her and she doesn’t want it, you’re in the wrong.”

“It is my experience that if you are in a gay bar, if I had a euro for every time I was grabbed or pulled or somebody laid a kiss on me and I wasn’t expecting it at all,"
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/theatre-arts/trial-by-media-isnt-a-good-thing-al-porter-condemned-groping-in-interview-prior-to-allegations-36347401.html

He does also criticise the trial by media aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Never heard of him until last week. He sounds like an annoying w****r.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Some quotes from a previous interview Al Porter made before allegations have come out.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/theatre-arts/trial-by-media-isnt-a-good-thing-al-porter-condemned-groping-in-interview-prior-to-allegations-36347401.html

He does also criticise the trial by media aspect.

why is he talking about women when hes into men? diversion tactics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

why is he talking about women when hes into men? diversion tactics?

Well... as is said right at the very start bit of the post you quoted, these quotes from Al Porter were from before the allegations broke. Putting 2 + 2 together given the number of high profile allegations from women against men in Hollywood over the last few weeks, I'd hazard a guess he is making reference to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

"It is my experience that if you are in a gay bar, if I had a euro for every time I was grabbed or pulled or somebody laid a kiss on me and I wasn’t expecting it at all,"

The Independent left out the line after it...."That kinda thing happens, for right or wrong." .... no...no it doesnt happen for right Al.
    That type of behavior is wrong, full stop. No wonder he thought he could go around grabbing fellas in toilets and write it off as 'flamboyant behaviour'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

stephen812 wrote: »

Watched the first one and a half minutes of that and had to turn it off.....mortified!

And people in the audience are actually laughing!

That is absolutely horrific, every sentence that comes out of his mouth is dirty, did they add a laugh track to the video? that wasnt on tv was it? ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    "It is my experience that if you are in a gay bar, if I had a euro for every time I was grabbed or pulled or somebody laid a kiss on me and I wasn’t expecting it at all,"

The Independent left out the line after it...."That kinda thing happens, for right or wrong." .... no...no it doesnt happen for right Al.
    That type of behavior is wrong, full stop. No wonder he thought he could go around grabbing fellas in toilets and write it off as 'flamboyant behaviour'.

That quote made my blood boil. He’s literally trying to cover his tracks by saying all us gays are like that and do that. Total fvckin bull****. It does happen but very fvckin rarely. In fact I saw it happen one night and some lad grabbed another’s arse as he went past but didn’t yer mans boyfriend see it and suddenly there was almost a fight. So it does happen rarely but he’s talkin out of his hole. It only happens ‘every time he’s in there’ cos it’s him doing it.

david75 wrote: »
    That quote made my blood boil. He’s literally trying to cover his tracks by saying all us gays are like that and do that. Total fvckin bull****. It does happen but very fvckin rarely. In fact I saw it happen one night and some lad grabbed another’s arse as he went past but didn’t yer mans boyfriend see it and suddenly there was almost a fight. So it does happen rarely but he’s talkin out of his hole. It only happens ‘every time he’s in there’ cos it’s him doing it.

Yea if i was gay i would be extremely offended by Al Porter, he tries to make out that all gay people are effectively sex pests and pervs whereas my logical assumption is that gay people are more or less the same as the rest of us, generally decent and respectful people but some will be ott and some will be sex pests but to say its common place among the gay community or even insinuate that its ok because he is gay, well thats just plain wrong

• Advertisement

I just read that indo article on my break, he goes on to say that if his career on radio finished tomorrow, TV3 sacked him, the Panto scene dried up and his gig numbers collapsed, then he could always go back and train to pursue his first love "Teaching Drama"...well considering they vet teachers of all types now........

Turns out all of the above has come true and simultaneously wiped out any hope of working with children in any capacity now!!

One would imagine at least.

rusty cole wrote: »
    I just read that indo article on my break, he goes on to say that if his career on radio finished tomorrow, TV3 sacked him, the Panto scene dried up and his gig numbers collapsed, then he could always go back and train to pursue his first love "Teaching Drama"...well considering they vet teachers of all types now........

Turns out all of the above has come true and simultaneously wiped out any hope of working with children in any capacity now!!

One would imagine at least.

wow, was this interview conducted before he was outed as a sex pest? perhaps he knew he would be found out but neglected to think that he can never work around children again :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

wow, was this interview conducted before he was outed as a sex pest? perhaps he knew he would be found out but neglected to think that he can never work around children again :confused:

Apparently was conducted very shortly before he the allegations rose. It's something topical at the moment which he had been asked about before.

He had done a similar interview that had been released before the allegations came out, where he talked about how he hasn't ever witnessed sexual assault or the likes. This isn't confirmed but a bit of me thinks that him writing that might have been the reason for some people to finally break their silence on the things he has done.

I know this sounds a bit mad but was the gardener Gerry Daly filling in for Porter today? caught a bit of it there in the car and i could have sworn it was Gerry Daly

like everyone being interviewed now, he was asked for his take on the Weinstein thing and how it will shape the "showbiz" industry going forward.
    Like most "hiding in plain sight" Celebrity pervs, he went on about how shocked he was by it all and how he's never seen the likes in his own experience.

There's no Schadenfreude here on my behalf but you have to see the choking irony in him taking such a stance and being found out the very next week.
    Was he so arrogant, I wonder as to assume he'd cut his teeth now and the rest would write itself?

• Advertisement

like everyone being interviewed now, he was asked for his take on the Weinstein thing and how it will shape the "showbiz" industry going forward.
    Like most "hiding in plain sight" Celebrity pervs, he went on about how shocked he was by it all and how he's never seen the likes in his own experience.

There's no Schadenfreude here on my behalf but you have to see the choking irony in him taking such a stance and being found out the very next week.
    Was he so arrogant, I wonder as to assume he'd cut his teeth now and the rest would write itself?

I think, based on his subsequent statement after he was outed as a perv that he felt he would be grand because he way gay and that it was ok for gay people to do that sort of thing because arent all gay people flamboyant and it is the norm in gay nightclubs etc, thankfully it backfired on him

yeah he seems to be fanning the flames of some old stereo types that all Gay men are hanging round the jacks in the George or panti bar, waiting to be groped or grope!! Quayers and their special powers of seduction!!!:D

yeah he seems to be fanning the flames of some old stereo types that all Gay men are hanging round the jacks in the George or panti bar, waiting to be groped or grope!! Quayers and their special powers of seduction!!!:D

Yep, that seems to be his defense and it makes him even more of a disgrace

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Al Porter is a talentless idiot but if these allegations are true, he's just fanning the flames of homophobia that gay men = sex pests which angers me as a gay man myself.

And there are plenty of homophobes in this little country of ours who would seize on the connection between gay men as pervs/sex pests/pederasts or worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Al Porter is a talentless idiot but if these allegations are true, he's just fanning the flames of homophobia that gay men = sex pests which angers me as a gay man myself.

And there are plenty of homophobes in this little country of ours who would seize on the connection between gay men as pervs/sex pests/order sastra or worse.

From conversations I've had it seems he is being seen as a twat and hasn't done any damage to the progress that we have made as a nation in terms of moving forward with acceptance. Don't let him anger you or worry you in any way dude

JupiterKid wrote: »

And there are plenty of homophobes in this little country of ours who would seize on the connection between gay men as pervs/sex pests/order sastra or worse.

and Porter has played right into their hands, its actually hard to believe that a gay man in the public eye is happy to use the fact that he is gay to explain away the fact that he is a sex pest, thats like harvey weinstein saying his actions are ok because he fancies girls, what a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

and Porter has played right into their hands, its actually hard to believe that a gay man in the public eye is happy to use the fact that he is gay to explain away the fact that he is a sex pest, thats like harvey weinstein saying his actions are ok because he fancies girls, what a joke

Now commonly known as The Spacey Excuse

Now commonly known as The Spacey Excuse

Yes actually, he did the very same as Spacy and blamed it on being gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Such a bull**** move.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

"I feel like I should hold something...... if only somebody had something mic shaped"

Jesus when he forces a kiss on the lad at the end. "There's a fine line between banter and an incident"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Jesus when he forces a kiss on the lad at the end. "There's a fine line between banter an incident"

It's pure deviency. Thank god he's been stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

I read through the FB comments on his statement and I couldn't believe the amount of people defending him. Even a girl I know - who should totally know better. She said she'd met him and he was sound so it clearly wasn't true? Wtf?

People. Seriously. People just wreck my head sometimes.

Can’t believe RTÉ called that “entertainment” for Christmas viewing, or indeed anytime viewing. That is the greatest load of trash I have seen RTE associate itself with and down through the years, there’s no end of examples you could use.
    They talk about lowest common denominator where I would have placed the likes of Mrs. Browns Boys ; each to their own and all of that but is there even a label you can put on that type of humor?

EIREDriver wrote: »
    Jesus when he forces a kiss on the lad at the end. "There's a fine line between banter and an incident"

Yes that kiss was pretty much forced upon your man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Surprised RTE havent removed that from youtube. That brand of humour is definitely "in keeping" with his penchant for sexual assaulting people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Not defending Al Porter, but it’s an interesting reaction from the audience to what is basically an assault!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There are a limited number of posters active on this thread but to me it is alarming how some have argued that his act could definitely be described as mainstream entertainment and one in particular insisted that he is in effect a family entertainer, suitable for all the family.
    It’s alarming because I don’t know now if I’m being prudish and over protective or is it the case that these people are ludicrously over liberal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

People are pretty quick to assume he is guilty. I mean, he might be but there is no proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

poisonated wrote: »
    People are pretty quick to assume he is guilty. I mean, he might be but there is no proof.

Your right there’s no proof.
    But he hasn’t denied the allegations at all over a week later so that’s a bit odd if the incidents never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

splinter65 wrote: »
    Your right there’s no proof.
    But he hasn’t denied the allegations at all over a week later so that’s a bit odd if the incidents never happened.

True.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement