Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

splinter65 wrote: »
    There are a limited number of posters active on this thread but to me it is alarming how some have argued that his act could definitely be described as mainstream entertainment and one in particular insisted that he is in effect a family entertainer, suitable for all the family.
    It’s alarming because I don’t know now if I’m being prudish and over protective or is it the case that these people are ludicrously over liberal?

There are two types of comedian... Mainstream and alternative... Al never was and never will be alternative. Micky jokes have been mainstream since day one. Look at all the pussy jokes for example in are you being served. It's just in this case behaviour went unchecked....ever hear funny Fri on Joe Duffy? Also mainstream... There you will hear slanty eyed Chink jokes and "funny accents" and casual racism... Mainstream comedy is lowest common denominator comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Your right there’s no proof.
    But he hasn’t denied the allegations at all over a week later so that’s a bit odd if the incidents never happened.

What he said was ".. upon legal advice, I cannot comment on specific allegations at the present time.."
    Thats standard advice from lawyers when there are allegations being thrown at someone. He's just following the advice from his legal team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There are two types of comedian... Mainstream and alternative... Al never was and never will be alternative. Micky jokes have been mainstream since day one. Look at all the pussy jokes for example in are you being served. It's just in this case behaviour went unchecked....ever hear funny Fri on Joe Duffy? Also mainstream... There you will hear slanty eyed Chink jokes and "funny accents" and casual racism... Mainstream comedy is lowest common denominator comedy

Your kidding yourself. If your happy to sit your child down in front of Al Porter doing the YouTube routine posted only a couple of pages back, or if you think his streaking on stage while someone else is performing including waving his hairy arse at the audience is comparable to Mrs Slocombe whining to Ms Brahms about her pussy needing a good comb then your powers of delusion are a lot better then mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Your kidding yourself. If your happy to sit your child down in front of Al Porter doing the YouTube routine posted only a couple of pages back, or if you think his streaking on stage while someone else is performing including waving his hairy arse at the audience is comparable to Mrs Slocombe whining to Ms Brahms about her pussy needing a good comb then your powers of delusion are a lot better then mine.

I think you are using the literal meaning of mainstream and the other poster is using the comedic grouping meaning of mainstream.

Mainstream comedy in no way means family friendly, ok for children comedy. It just means straight-forward joke based comedy some of which is ok for kids, some of which is extremely blue, as opposed to alternative comedy.

It’s the same word, just in different contexts

I would never subject any of my family to mainstream comedy.. You are correct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Do people think the kids will even get the jokes? That's what I don't understand about outraged adults wanting to shelter children, sexual jokes went right over my head when I was a child, kids don't notice. It's the adults who have a hissy fit about it being unsuitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does anyone know if the Hotpress interview he did a few days before the allegations broke has been published yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Hotpress interview he did a few days before the allegations broke has been published yet?

I think one of the articles that was quoting it said it came out yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Al Porter is a talentless idiot but if these allegations are true, he's just fanning the flames of homophobia that gay men = sex pests which angers me as a gay man myself.

And there are plenty of homophobes in this little country of ours who would seize on the connection between gay men as pervs/sex pests/order sastra or worse.

Absolutely. Gay people have been trying to shake off that unfair perception for years. Like Spacey, he is playing into the prejudices of homophobes.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Absolutely. Gay people have been trying to shake off that unfair perception for years. Like Spacey, he is playing into the prejudices of homophobes.

I get the impression the majority of the twitter mob are homophobes seizing an opportunity to vent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A clever Al Porter would head off to Spain for a month or three and let it all blow over (inster Al Porter blow joke here).

Nobody will bother him or take photos of him, sure he's only barely recognisable in Ireland as it is. Most people I know have said "Who's Al Porter?" I'd say 50% of the people who know of him now only know of him because of the allegations.

So ultimately... He's either known as the pretend sex pest who's now a sex pest... Or just known as the sex pest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Grayditch wrote: »
    A clever Al Porter would head off to Spain for a month or three and let it all blow over (inster Al Porter blow joke here).

Nobody will bother him or take photos of him, sure he's only barely recognisable in Ireland as it is. Most people I know have said "Who's Al Porter?" I'd say 50% of the people who know of him now only know of him because of the allegations.

So ultimately... He's either known as the pretend sex pest who's now a sex pest... Or just known as the sex pest.

Weather might be a bit hot with the suit?

Clearly an absolute monster, evil incarnate I think it's fair to say, who definitely would have gone on to be worse than Savlle, if those brave victims hadn't stopped his galloping predatory ways.

steady on now there jaysus will ye. he never raped anyone, dead bodies, children, the handicapped, the hospitalized and bed ridden etc, to the knowledge of most.... I wouldn't go putting him up as aspiring to break your jimmy saville bench mark as yet FFS!!

He's a horn dog who abused his position and allegedly assaulted people and sent nude photos and the likes..I'm sure you're kidding with the evil incarnate remarks..are they not reserved for the stalins, hindleys, hitlers, idi amins and john venables of this world no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There are a limited number of posters active on this thread but to me it is alarming how some have argued that his act could definitely be described as mainstream entertainment and one in particular insisted that he is in effect a family entertainer, suitable for all the family.
    It’s alarming because I don’t know now if I’m being prudish and over protective or is it the case that these people are ludicrously over liberal?

Who said he's a family entertainer?

Cienciano wrote: »

At least one poster has said that they would be happy to sit down with family and watch him on TV.
    So a family entertainer.
    You’ll have to go back over the thread yourself and see. I’m not singling anyone out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Watched the video from.post #1495.
    I've never seen or heard of this guy before and the idea that people paid money to see him and Rte put him on the national station on Christmas eve or any night makes me wonder where the hell people's brains are.
    Creepy and uncomfortable to watch. How anyone ever found him worth watching is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Watched the video from.post #1495.
    I've never seen or heard of this guy before and the idea that people paid money to see him and Rte put him on the national station on Christmas eve or any night makes me wonder where the hell people's brains are.
    Creepy and uncomfortable to watch. How anyone ever found him worth watching is a mystery.

He was on Live at the Apollo one night and got a good reaction from the crowd so there must have been a niche in the market for him.
    I suppose look at Jimmy Saville.
    If they let him have a career entertaining, anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

At least one poster has said that they would be happy to sit down with family and watch him on TV.
    So a family entertainer.
    You’ll have to go back over the thread yourself and see. I’m not singling anyone out.

I'm old enough to remember watching Larry Grayson on a Saturday night. Sane sort of act.

I'd not be an Al Porter fan at all but it's not like you need to put his stuff on after 11pm!

blade1 wrote: »
    He was on Live at the Apollo one night and got a good reaction from the crowd so there must have been a niche in the market for him.

Sure the English love a bit of blue, they practically invented it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

blade1 wrote: »

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »

Interesting name on the uploader...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So a family entertainer.

I didn't notice anyone saying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Interesting name on the uploader...

Also, most of the comments on YouTube before the story broke were positive.
    Then after the story all negative.
    I have no sympathy for him but there seems to be a fair bit of jumping on the bandwagon and kicking him when he is down.

That Apollo performance isn't even that bad. He has shocking bad comedic timing and ends every risky comment immediately with "EEEEEHHH", but that video isn't the worst.

He really phoned it in on RTE by the looks of it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Paully D wrote: »

Someone in the comments says he stole the Fathers Day joke from another comedian but doesn't say who. Anyone know if this is true, comics stealing jokes is a bugbear with me.

I didn't notice anyone saying that

It’s no more than 3 or 4 pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Someone in the comments says he stole the Fathers Day joke from another comedian but doesn't say who. Anyone know if this is true, comics stealing jokes is a bugbear with me.

If it's the Father's Day joke I'm thinking of I'm almost certain I've heard it before with a different location obviously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was one of the twitter accusations, that he stole others jokes.

I don't know if it's true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You going to write a stern letter to the ombudsman for Stand Up Comedians?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,168 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

We can argue about whether he is mainstream or not mainstream all day.

Can we not just agree he's just not funny?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

splinter65 wrote:
    At least one poster has said that they would be happy to sit down with family and watch him on TV. So a family entertainer. You’ll have to go back over the thread yourself and see. I’m not singling anyone out.

It's me your talking about, just haven't got the balls to say so.

I was referring to Blind Date when I said I'd be happy to watch him with the family.

As opposed to people who haven't even seen it jumping up and down saying it's filth.

As another poster says above it's simply people jumping on a bandwagon. If TV3 had a load of complaints about Blind Date it would have been pulled.

Such bull**** on this thread.

pilly wrote: »
    I was referring to Blind Date when I said I'd be happy to watch him with the family...

Are you sure they can't catch stupid through the tv screen? Is it 100% safe?

I'm not even talking about Porter, but the people who go on such a show. I can't watch it because their sheer stupidity, narcissism and banality depresses me, bit like First Dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Dude that joke has been doing the rounds for decades. "Fathers day must be confusing up in [insert estate name]" was a staple insult on our school bus in the early 90s. Brendan Grace would be rolling his eyes at stale sh** like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I'm not even talking about Porter, but the people who go on such a show. I can't watch it because their sheer stupidity, narcissism and banality depresses me, bit like First Dates.

Are you sure they can't catch stupid through the tv screen? Is it 100% safe?

I agree, original Blind Date was the same scripted crap.

My point was that it's far from filth.

pilly wrote: »
    It's me your talking about, just haven't got the balls to say so.

I was referring to Blind Date when I said I'd be happy to watch him with the family.

As opposed to people who haven't even seen it jumping up and down saying it's filth.

As another poster says above it's simply people jumping on a bandwagon. If TV3 had a load of complaints about Blind Date it would have been pulled.

Such bull**** on this thread.

So not only do I have a persecution complex I also have no balls?
    Another poster was a homophobe for not enjoying the act either.
    Don’t you think it’s you that has the persecution complex pilly?
    You’re irrationally irritated and annoyed that strangers on the internet don’t share your opinion about what’s acceptable as family entertainment.
    A bit of an over reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The truth in the matter is that he wasnt respected by broadcasters or comedians, because he was neither.

But neither of those incapabilities should detract from the accusations, which are a lot more serious than being talentless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭stephen812

Apparently TV3 has axed the final few episodes of Blind Date:

https://lovin.ie/news/tv3-has-axed-the-final-six-episodes-of-al-porters-blind-date

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

WOW! he really is finished now. Building up profile now . Really want to read the hot press article now, is it out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

Stheno wrote: »

That article does him no favours. Especially the bit at the end.

"Porter also said that because he is up-front about his sexual encounters, no newspapers would be able to find any “dirt” on him.
    He added in the Podcast: “I feel guilt is exhausting. Like honestly, for the emotions you can feel, guilt and shame are exhausting. And I also think one of the worst feelings you can ever feel in real life is getting caught out. That has to be one of the worst feelings. It’s somebody going ‘hey, I know you did this thing and you don’t want people to know and I have this thing over you’.”

“As an adult, I said nobody will ever have dirt on me because I’m just going to own it.”

Makes it sound like he thought he was somehow untouchable because he made sure everyone knew he was gay and passed his actions off as being a part of that.

• Advertisement

That Apollo performance isn't even that bad. He has shocking bad comedic timing and ends every risky comment immediately with "EEEEEHHH", but that video isn't the worst.

He really phoned it in on RTE by the looks of it.

His rte special was given to him and he had to throw it together. Says it all about rte

I gathered the victim comedians complained he was a groping joke stealer however I doubt it was a fathers day joke...

deco nate wrote: »
    WOW! he really is finished now. Building up profile now .

There's nothing in the part that's going to add to anything, did you read it?

"He told Des Bishop: “When we were in transition year, guys were like slapping each other on the ass and like f***ing grabbing each other and I was doing it too.”
    “But three guys went to my guidance counsellor’s room and he was like: 'Hey, we actually know that you weren’t and we totally don’t think that there was anything wrong here, but as a matter of course, we have to tell your parents'.”

“So I said 'please don’t ring my mother'.”
    “They rang my dad and he came and he just kind of listened and was like, ‘right, good, let’s never talk about this again’.”

Porter claimed that the three students later apologised to him for making the complaints. He said all three of the complainants have been to see his shows.
    “One of the guys turned out to be gay and said that he was really ashamed about it and was just kind of trying to deflect.”

“The other two guys said that they were just trying to get me in trouble; that I was too much of a goody two shoes and they just didn’t like it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Yes I read it,it implys a history.
    A history that Al is denying. Just like all other allegations.
    Looks like he has known for a long time this was coming.

Strong Wiff of his twitter post.

Very suspicious mentioning the papers won't find dirt on him... That's the kind of thing language experts jump on

deco nate wrote: »
    Yes I read it,it implys a history.
    A history that Al is denying. Just like all other allegations.
    Looks like he has known for a long time this was coming.

Strong Wiff of his twitter post.

Strong whiff of sensational headline with a side order of hope they don't read the detail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

Al Porter seriously needs help, hes a sexual deviant, how did his parents not spot this? maybe they were in denial

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Al Porter seriously needs help, hes a sexual deviant, how did his parents not spot this? maybe they were in denial

Generally speaking anyone with certain sexual proclivities doesn’t display them openly in front of their parents.

david75 wrote: »
    Generally speaking anyone with certain sexual proclivities doesn’t display them openly in front of their parents.

It his parents have ever seen his show, turns out he did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Nature / nurture. Maybe he didn’t lick it off a stone

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement