Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Well if the Des Bishop interview is to be believed, his father's reaction to the complaints were 'lets never speak of this again'.
    It really seems he is actually an odd young man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The hot press issue with his last interview is out. I can’t rememebr the interviewers name but he has said that porter might come to regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

david75 wrote: »
    Nature / nurture. Maybe he didn’t lick it off a stone

That's way out of order.

The hot press issue with his last interview is out. I can’t rememebr the interviewers name but he has said that porter might come to regret it.

Olaf Tyaransen I'd say, he seems to do most of their big interviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

KKkitty wrote: »
    If it's the Father's Day joke I'm thinking of I'm almost certain I've heard it before with a different location obviously.

That joke is as old as the hills. It's the equivalent of doing a knock-knock joke.

edit - just realised this post has also been done to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

http://www.hotpress.com/features/reports/EXCLUSIVE-Al-Porter-Says-That-Its-Wrong-To-Touch-Anybody-Inappropriately/21313665.html

These are some of the highlights
    Al on the dramatic spate of sex scandals, “We’re at a watershed moment culturally where what is seen as decent and acceptable behavior is going to change, but it is important that we note that this is the defining moment and, going forward, I think a lot of people are going to change their behaviour.”

On groping someone against their consent, Al categorically states, “I don’t care how provocatively a woman dresses, or how late at night she arranged to have a business meeting with you. Or whether it was in your hotel room or not. If you’re grabbing her and she doesn’t want it, you’re in the wrong.”

On the general issue of ‘groping', Al Porter says, “I would hate to tar a comedian with that brush, but it is my experience that if you are in a gay bar, if I had a euro for every time I was grabbed or pulled or somebody laid a kiss on me and I wasn’t expecting it at all. That kinda thing happens for right or wrong.”

The comedian reveals that he’s no longer able to look up to one of his own comedic heroes, Woody Allen, after he was involved in a sex scandal. Al says, “It’s just incredibly disappointing.”

On why people should be reporting allegations to the police instead of running to the media, Al says, “Trial by media isn’t a good thing. We also still have to rely on the fact that if you have been abused or assaulted you should be able to trust the Gardaí to investigate it on your behalf and for justice to prevail. The Daily Mail is not An Garda Siochana. That’s important as well.”

On the #Metoo drive, Al says, “What I would be worried about is that #metoo drags people into that group that don’t belong in it. I know that might sound like I’m defending these people but I’m not. I’m just saying equally, actually victims of abuse have to use this moment to have their voice and to try and give a sober comment on it because there is no point getting caught up in hysteria either. Trial by media isn’t a good thing.”

"I’m not trying to be apologetic for people who have behaved inappropriately in the past,” he adds, "but it’s important for people to know what was and wasn’t reciprocal, what was and wasn’t consensual.”

Al also talks about Kevin Spacey. “It’s not like I didn’t hear stories about Kevin Spacey,” he says. "I was over in London and three or four people told me stories about him, laughing, going, “Isn’t that mad?” This is before it all came out. “What is he like/what a divil” was the tone of what people were telling me.”

A huge amount of ground is covered in what is a genuinely fascinating, in depth Hot Press Interview.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Wonder who this is in reference to? Some high profile figure in Irish comedy seemingly.

https://twitter.com/niamhmarron1/status/932388064298782720

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Read tweets by another Irish comic @sorobotic ...much worse unfortunately

Read tweets by another Irish comic @sorobotic ...much worse unfortunately

Jesus, saying she was raped. Not sure if it's the same individual mentioned in the above tweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Are these comics reporting this to Gardai? I hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

exactly, why the need to broadcast it to the nation without going to the Gardai first, let justice take its course and get them behind bars if necessary and avoid it happening again. Why have your 15 minutes in the sun first? Maybe I'm getting old, but why the need for social media to be the channel to distribute this type of information, would you post on facebook that your house is on fire?

omerin wrote: »
    would you post on facebook that your house is on fire?

Sadly, youd be surprised.
    I seen someone post about their neighbours house being robbed and some asked did you call the Gardai.
    "Not yet, going do it now"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kyng Shaggy Strap

Sadly, youd be surprised.
    I seen someone post about their neighbours house being robbed and some asked did you call the Gardai.
    "Not yet, going do it now"
    Something like this

Lol house on fire - totes awks, what’s the no for 911

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Wonder who this is in reference to? Some high profile figure in Irish comedy seemingly.

https://twitter.com/niamhmarron1/status/932388064298782720

Hmmm...

Had to look her up. First hit on youtube gave me this (NSFW Language & content)

Now I know comedy is highly subjective, but if you're speaking out about this stuff (which you absolutely should if it happens to you), Maybe the first thing someone encounters about you online shouldn't be the line you "want to molest someone" in the first 30 seconds of your video.

Also maybe leave out the homophobic/racist content as well...

Something like this

Lol house on fire - totes awks, what’s the no for 911

That's the sort of stuff posted in the Dumb facebook status thread :D

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Had to look her up. First hit on youtube gave me this (NSFW Language & content)

Now I know comedy is highly subjective, but if you're speaking out about this stuff (which you absolutely should if it happens to you), Maybe the first thing someone encounters about you online shouldn't be the line you "want to molest someone" in the first 30 seconds of your video.

Also maybe leave out the homophobic/racist content as well...

The sarah silverman should never ever give her opinion on anything like this too.. ????? oh shuckes, they're just jokes!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

What would Al Porter be at with himself now?

When you think about it, this day 2 weeks ago he had it all going for him, radio show, tv show big run of panto this month and now its all gone just like that because he couldnt keep his hands to himself

At himself probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

What would Al Porter be at with himself now?

When you think about it, this day 2 weeks ago he had it all going for him, radio show, tv show big run of panto this month and now its all gone just like that because he couldnt keep his hands to himself

"Hello Tesco customer services, Al speaking, how my I direct your call?"

"Hello Tesco customer services, Al speaking, how my I direct your call?"

You know i could actually see him working in tescos Tallaght, wouldnt like to get stuck in the store room with him though!

• Advertisement

I’m not even sure I’d like him ‘handling’ my call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Phat Dick

I am worried that the poor chap might commit suicide :-(

Phat Dick wrote: »

I was thinking that, hopefully he wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

this is funnier now then it was back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Has Porter been interviewed by the cops yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was thinking that, hopefully he wont

It would be a great boost for the thread though.. Not much happening lately

It would be a great boost for the thread though.. Not much happening lately

ffs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Has Porter been interviewed by the cops yet?
    no need for that..he's been found guilty by social media.

Joking aside , if anyone was attacked they should report it otherwise its just rumour or hear say.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    ffs :rolleyes:

My intention there was to satirise the blood lust on the Internet for celebrities on the way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Will he be doing next years Christmas Panto?

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »

The prison panto maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

A talented man knocked like you knock a bowling pin. All these accusations better be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

thedeere wrote: »
    A talented man knocked like you knock a bowling pin. All these accusations better be true.

Wrong thread, this is the the al porter thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Phat Dick wrote: »

Call me a cynic but I'd say there's a far greater chance there'll be a "story" (i .e. made up) about an attempted suicide/depression etc. than anything of the sort actually happening. And the story will be broken by Barry Egan in an 8 page EXCLUSIVE in the Sindo with his usual journalistic "enthusiasm", all designed to make Porter look like the victim.

And in the same way his apology (sic.) was an affront to some in the gay community, this story will likely be offensive to those who suffer from depression.

Call me a cynic but I'd say there's a far greater chance there'll be a "story" (i .e. made up) about an attempted suicide/depression etc. than anything of the sort actually happening. And the story will be broken by Barry Egan in an 8 page EXCLUSIVE in the Sindo with his usual journalistic "enthusiasm", all designed to make Porter look like the victim.

And in the same way his apology (sic.) was an affront to some in the Fay community, this story will likely be offensive to those who suffer from depression.

Sadly I think this is exactly what will happen and people will buy it book line and sinker.

Sadly I think this is exactly what will happen and people will buy it book line and sinker.

Totally.

I can imagine the headline:
    Porter's "long and hard" road to redemption.

Getting to grips with some hard truths

He has a history of depression though so that's more than likely the outcome however genuine or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

mikeym wrote: »

Oh no he won't!

• Advertisement

His whole act us based around smut, no way he recovers unless he manages to completely change his act and start again.

More likely himself and Conor McGregor will be in the jacks of some pub doing a key each talking about what might have been. All Conors money gone on maintenance for the alleged few kids he has coming all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The prison panto maybe.

He’s behind you :p

His whole act us based around smut, no way he recovers unless he manages to completely change his act and start again.

More likely himself and Conor McGregor will be in the jacks of some pub doing a key each talking about what might have been. All Conors money gone on maintenance for the alleged few kids he has coming all over the place

He's a family entertainer according to some posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Maybe if you have a big.. sex.. family.

?

That's how today fm, late late show, blind date and the olympia portrayed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That's how today fm, late late show, blind date and the olympia portrayed him

Could hardly portray him as the token gay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He has a history of depression though so that's more than likely the outcome however genuine or not

He does indeed have a history of depression. But if he just comes out and somehow tries to justify his sexual groping on his depression then he is going to annoy an awful lot of people with depression. It wont surprise me if he does though, after all he has already used the the Im gay and flamboyant excuse in his non-apology and that has rightly got the back up of many in the gay community who abhor how he behaved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Muahahaha wrote: »
    He does indeed have a history of depression. But if he just comes out and somehow tries to justify his sexual groping on his depression then he is going to annoy an awful lot of people with depression. It wont surprise me if he does though, after all he has already used the the Im gay and flamboyant excuse in his non-apology and that has rightly got the back up of many in the gay community who abhor how he behaved.

Gay men in particular have spent 50 years and more trying to combat the notion that all gay men are predatory indiscriminate sex maniacs who would ride a cat going through a sky light.
    For Al Porter to turn around and dismiss complaints about his behavior as just normal every day flamboyant homosexual banter.
    I’ll bet they’re annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

splinter65 wrote: »
    Gay men in particular have spent 50 years and more trying to combat the notion that all gay men are predatory indiscriminate sex maniacs who would ride a cat going through a sky light.
    For Al Porter to turn around and dismiss complaints about his behavior as just normal every day flamboyant homosexual banter.
    I’ll bet they’re annoyed.

We were talking about this at home, he really has done a serious disservice to the gay community - there’ll be plenty saying “I knew it, they’re all like that”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

_Brian wrote: »
    We were talking about this at home, he really has done a serious disservice to the gay community - there’ll be plenty saying “I knew it, they’re all like that”

Most definitely not all, same as hetro guys n girls. In my experience though Ive had my ass grabbed by more gay men then straight girls, and Im a straight guy. Two of those guys knew very well I was straight, and one did it in the jacks of my new local pub (I moved to a small village) when I was at the urinal taking a p**s. Haven't been back since. Should have bitch slapped him. But I know thats just him. Anyone who says "they're all like that" is a moron, not worth worrying about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hoboo wrote: »
    Most definitely not all, same as hetro guys n girls. In my experience though Ive had my ass grabbed by more gay men then straight girls, and Im a straight guy. Two of those guys knew very well I was straight, and one did it in the jacks of my new local pub (I moved to a small village) when I was at the urinal taking a p**s. Haven't been back since. Should have bitch slapped him. But I know thats just him. Anyone who says "they're all like that" is a moron, not worth worrying about.

So you're staying out of your local because of this dickhead?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement