Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

pilly wrote: »
    So you're staying out of your local because of this dickhead?

I think it’s reasonable enough for a victim of sexual assault to avoid the very place where there were assaulted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He’s behind you :p

His career is now behind him.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

He has a history of depression though so that's more than likely the outcome however genuine or not

Depression is no excuse nor reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Fr_Dougal wrote:
    I think it’s reasonable enough for a victim of sexual assault to avoid the very place where there were assaulted.

I think it's more reasonable to have the perpetrator barred. Victim shouldn't have to avoid him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think it's more reasonable to have the perpetrator barred. Victim shouldn't have to avoid him.

Yes and then you'll probably get the Facebook campaign to get the anti gay bar shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

screamer wrote: »
    Depression is no excuse nor reason.

Never said it was :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Never said it was :confused:

I know and I wasn't commenting on what you wrote. I just mean that if he tries to blame it on being depressed it won't wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Here's one on Porter/the Panto that I meant to post a few weeks ago but forgot about until I was prompted by something in another thread just now. I read before this unfortunate incident caused wholly by misunderstanding regarding Porter's outrageous and flamboyant personality :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: that not only was he to "star" :rolleyes: in it, but that he also wrote it. If that is true, he'll still make a not inconsiderable sum from it, which is very wrong IMO. I haven't read the whole thread - has this element of it been broached previously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Ehhh what are you on about exactly?

If it was a link you meant to include you have forgotten to include it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

So you're staying out of your local because of this dickhead?

Yeah, Im not overly fussed tbh, all locals who know each other all their lives, very clicky, they guy is loved by everyone......sure he's only having the craic. Ill go down again if Ive friends staying. But not to pop down on my own and try to integrate, couldn't be arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

david75 wrote: »
    Ehhh what are you on about exactly?

If it was a link you meant to include you have forgotten to include it.

The text re. his personality is a quote from his "apology".

The comment on him writing the panto was based on something I read ages ago. Can't find the original article but a quick google found another with the same info.:
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/1107/918061-al-porter/

This year, as well as starring in the show, Porter has also written the panto alongside fellow stand-up comedian Karl Spain, and co-produced it.

Happy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

The text re. his personality is a quote from his "apology".

The comment on him writing the panto was based on something I read ages ago. Can't find the original article but a quick google found another with the same info.:
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/1107/918061-al-porter/

This year, as well as starring in the show, Porter has also written the panto alongside fellow stand-up comedian Karl Spain, and co-produced it.

Happy now?

Well he does kind of deserve a paycheck if he did the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Rory28 wrote: »
    Well he does kind of deserve a paycheck if he did the work.

Absolutely he does.
    I hope he’s getting professional help to deal with what I suspect is behavior connected to possible substance abuse.
    In a way he’s lucky that his antics have been nipped in the bud early doors.
    There’s still time for him to turn his life around and be a decent person and make a positive contribution to the arts world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

splinter65 wrote: »
    Absolutely he does.
    I hope he’s getting professional help to deal with what I suspect is behavior connected to possible substance abuse.
    There’s still time for him to turn his life around and be a decent person and make a positive contribution to the arts world.

Is this an excuse now? I abused the sh*t out of cocaine for a few years and never bothered anybody.

Is this an excuse now? I abused the sh*t out of cocaine for a few years and never bothered anybody.

I’m the most critical of Al Porter on this thread.
    It’s not an excuse but may explain his apparent total lack of self control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It is an excuse, and a pathetic one at that.

It is an excuse, and a pathetic one at that.

That’s true though. He obviously embraced the cocaine lifestyle despite being faced with his many transgressions committed while under the influence so yes you’re right it is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That’s true though. He obviously embraced the cocaine lifestyle despite being faced with his many transgressions committed while under the influence so yes you’re right it is pathetic.

cocaine has nothing to do with it...it's EGO....his ego went through the roof thanks to RTE and he didn't have the moral compass to navigate through his new fame and he believed his own hype

cocaine has nothing to do with it...it's EGO....his ego went through the roof thanks to RTE and he didn't have the moral compass to navigate through his new fame and he believed his own hype
    Not so much RTÉ as TV3 and Today FM technically.
    At least he’ll probably become a beacon to other rising stars of how NOT to manage your budding show business career.
    All over lights out overnight at 24 from a position where you had a career on stage in tv AND on the radio is the stuff of nightmares.
    The old adage remains.
    Don’t be a dick head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,189 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not so much RTÉ as TV3 and Today FM technically.
    At least he’ll probably become a beacon to other rising stars of how NOT to manage your budding show business career.
    All over lights out overnight at 24 from a position where you had a career on stage in tv AND on the radio is the stuff of nightmares.
    The old adage remains.
    Don’t be a dick head.

RTE gave him a xmas special that he had to write on the fly as he obviously didn't have one written! it was a horrendous cacophony of mickey jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Absolutely he does.

Maybe he could make an appointment to see you ? :rolleyes:

Personally , I'm happy hes gone off the radio......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So , he has takes coke ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

greenspurs wrote: »
    So , he has takes coke ??

That's the latest on this thread

That's the latest on this thread

This whole scandal broke on the release of tweets porter sent some guy in which, apart from some other stuff, he refers to being”coked up” in some trendy hip parlance.
    In my day we just would have said “I’m coked up to my eyeballs” but that’s old hat now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

greenspurs wrote: »
    Maybe he could make an appointment to see you ? :rolleyes:

Personally , I'm happy hes gone off the radio......

Me too. Glad I don't have to change from today fm when his awful radio show started. I'd say today fm have seen a significant bump in their listenership figures since he's been dispatched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

That's BULL**** and you know it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In my day we just would have said “I’m coked up to my eyeballs” but that’s old hat now.

Could have been a misspelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolutely he does.

When you say the arts world I hope you mean painting pictures or something because I never want to see his face or hear his voice again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Absolutely he does.

"Art"?

jooksavage wrote: »
    "Art"?

Performing arts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Performing arts

Acting the bo11ox

Acting the bo11ox

I think I felt bad for being so hard on him in the beginning, but I’m just disinterested now.

I think I felt bad for being so hard on him in the beginning, but I’m just disinterested now.

Never liked him, but now i feel like im gloating in his downfall.
    Id have preferred if there was a sudden mass epiphany and everyone realised he was sh1t3 and he just slipped into gay/panto obscurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

All quiet from Al

Quietly working in the canteen in RTÉ biding his time. He’ll be on the late late when the time is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

david75 wrote: »
    Quietly working in the canteen in RTÉ biding his time. He’ll be on the late late when the time is right.

I just hope it’s not to late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Who said he was sniffing air freshener? What? Seems such a nice chap and well grounded, I couldn't match his energy though, he'd wear me out. Nevertheless, surprised and saddened to hear he was sniffing air freshener recreationally if correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

He said he has 600 points from his leaving cert, he could study and become anything he likes with those points I suppose, at only 24yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I feel sorry for the lad.

eric hoone wrote: »
    He said he has 600 points from his leaving cert, he could study and become anything he likes with those points I suppose, at only 24yo

That would be really interesting. Imagine he went and got a law or medical degree.

And went for a job. But he didn’t get it cos of all this.

Even with no charges and just a public scandal, it’s unlikely anyone would hire you to do anything isn’t it?

No company would want that on their name.

Weird world we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

He's probably reverted back to his real name. Al Porters a stage name as if it wasn't obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He's probably reverted back to his real name. Al Porters a stage name as if it wasn't obvious.

Why would that be obvious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

eric hoone wrote: »

He said if his career failed he would become a primary teacher.............

He said if his career failed he would become a primary teacher.............

Or a swimming coach

Or a swimming coach

no, I am not intentionally taking the p^ss, that is what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Or a swimming coach
    He said that?

TheChizler wrote: »
    He said that?

0f course he didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

0f course he didn't.
    So it's just an incredibly tasteless joke then. Thought so.

Ill wear sackcloth and rub ashes on my brow as a token of my remorse.

• Advertisement

Cheap and obviously intentionally tasteless joke but nothing to get too faux outraged and upset about on a Saturday night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement