Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

TheChizler wrote: »
    So it's just an incredibly tasteless joke then. Thought so.

get away outta that Al you big baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Cheap and obviously intentionally tasteless joke but nothing to get too faux outraged and upset about on a Saturday night

In a thread about a "comic" whose hole sthick was based on tasteless jokes.
    The irony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

eric hoone wrote: »
    He said he has 600 points from his leaving cert, he could study and become anything he likes with those points I suppose, at only 24yo

I’d believe Bertie Ahern’s Mahon Tribunal Testimony before I’d believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A bishop has appealed for people to be more understanding towards comedian Al Porter after his recent fall from grace.
    Dublin's Auxiliary Bishop Eamonn Walsh has said he would like to see less judgment in the new year when it comes to the former Today FM and TV3 presenter

Suppose the bishops would have experience with dealing with alleged sexual assault and covering up being more understanding.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lets-not-push-al-porter-over-the-edgea-person-is-not-a-commodity-says-bishop-36450666.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ill wear sackcloth and rub ashes on my brow as a token of my remorse.
    Just focus on what he did, no need to make jokes about f**en child abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Ha, remember this sham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Suppose the bishops would have experience with dealing with alleged sexual assault and covering up being more understanding.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lets-not-push-al-porter-over-the-edgea-person-is-not-a-commodity-says-bishop-36450666.html

jaysis I had missed that one. Some choice quotes from Bishop Eamonn Walsh in the article

"Let's not jump to judgment without the facts and we have to be aware that there may be judicial proceedings down the line so I wouldn't like to say anything that would interfere with that," he said.

"He's a man who has spoken out about difficulties with mental health issues and we do not want to push him over the edge and you have to think there's always people behind these things. A person is not a commodity - we all have family and friends. Everybody's so self-righteous these days."

Bishop Walsh, who's also a qualified barrister, said in any situation it's never just black or white. When asked about speaking out in a public show of support, he added: "All I did was send a message. I'm happy to stand over what I said."

In his annual message, he said at one Mass attended by Mr Porter's mother Marian - a parish secretary - that he hoped to see some positive changes in 2018. He expressed his wish that this would be the year that: "We allow justice to take its course, and not usurp it through public condemnation, humiliation and sentence without trial.

"May the darkness that was visited on our local comedian, before justice to all could be processed, be replaced with balance, proper proportion and fair play, so that he may feel free and welcome to make us laugh again."

So looks like Als mammy got the bishop to go to the national media in an effort to rehabilitate Als career "so that he may feel free and welcome to make us laugh again"

The Bishop also said
    Let's not jump to judgment without the facts and we have to be aware that there may be judicial proceedings down the line so I wouldn't like to say anything that would interfere with that

Reading between the lines my guess is that the Bishop (who is also a former barrister) knows that Al is going to be facing a court case soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jaysis I had missed that one. Some choice quotes from Bishop Eamonn Walsh in the article

So looks like Als mammy got the bishop to go to the national media in an effort to rehabilitate Als career "so that he may feel free and welcome to make us laugh again"

The Bishop also said

Reading between the lines my guess is that the Bishop (who is also a former barrister) knows that Al is going to be facing a court case soon.

Lol, He said "interfere" :pac:

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just focus on what he did, no need to make jokes about f**en child abuse.

Youre right.
    My rather ribald joke was in poor taste, and wholly at odds with your 0 multiple posts in this very thread expressing the same outrage on behalf of his victims. At least you're inconsistent, and not presenting as faux outraged.

As a token of my remorse, if i add whipping myself with knotted ropes, to the aforementioned ashes and sack cloth, would it asusge your outrage and offense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Youre right.
    My rather ribald joke was in poor taste, and wholly at odds with your 0 multiple posts in this very thread expressing the same outrage on behalf of his victims. At least you're inconsistent, and not presenting as faux outraged.

As a token of my remorse, if i add whipping myself with knotted ropes, to the aforementioned ashes and sack cloth, would it asusge your outrage and offense?

I’m outraged to the point of collapse at you blatant mocking of the practice of self flagellation as employed by so many as a means of atoning for sins of the flesh.
    How dare you!
    (or is it Wow! Just Wow! I can never remember....).

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m outraged to the point of collapse at you blatant mocking of the practice of self flagellation as employed by so many as a means of atoning for sins of the flesh.
    How dare you!
    (or is it Wow! Just Wow! I can never remember....).

Sweet mother of god, I'm after triggering another one...when will this end...

*deletes account, removes himself to a cabin in wilderness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

eric hoone wrote: »
    He said he has 600 points from his leaving cert, he could study and become anything he likes with those points I suppose, at only 24yo

you don't need points at 24 do you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭jooksavage

you don't need points at 24 do you

Maybe not but you would need the higher level grades in certain subjects for many courses that a 600 point LC would provide. Having said that the only way he'd get 600 points is by ripping off someone else's leaving cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Sweet mother of god, I'm after triggering another one...when will this end...

*deletes account, removes himself to a cabin in wilderness...

Ooh. Cabin in the wilderness is it?
    What a line to come out with, when we have all the homeless.
    Shame!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭donaghs

david75 wrote: »
    That would be really interesting. Imagine he went and got a law or medical degree.

And went for a job. But he didn’t get it cos of all this.

Even with no charges and just a public scandal, it’s unlikely anyone would hire you to do anything isn’t it?

No company would want that on their name.

Weird world we live in.

If the allegations are true, and if he got a job in a regalar workplace, nowadays there is a lot less tolerance for that sort of serial behavior (compared with the "gig economy").
    Workplace inductions, and on-going training outline what is considered harassment and how to report it, etc.

Bishop Eamonn Walsh:
    "May the darkness that was visited on our local comedian, before justice to all could be processed, be replaced with balance, proper proportion and fair play, so that he may feel free and welcome to make us laugh again."

From the Irish/Cork Examiners review of a 2017 show:
    "He begins his show with a song alongside his band before singling out a member of security, asking him, "Do I know you, I recognise the back of your head."
    The crowd erupts into laughter, all the more so because he’s showing off his backside saucily to a man in the front row.
    That same man is the butt of gay innuendoes throughout, as Porter insists he doesn’t want to be crude, but innuendo finds him."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/al-porter-makes-live-at-the-marquee-debut-with-witty-camp-comedy-793961.html
    Targeting guys in the audience in front of their wives/girlfriends with sexual innuendo seems to be a big part of his live act. Interesting life/art comparisons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Happy National Hugging Day

national-hug-day-21st-january-images-photos-sms-messages-quotes-7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Story in the Irish mirror (gawwwd ‘elp us) this morning. The gist is that Al denies all regarding the allegations about the mental hospital sexual harassment.

Colin Hayes of 2fm has weighed in to say he’ll swear an affidavit to the effect that he didn’t see al doing anything inappropriate while in his company at the hospital.

Elephant in the room is obviously what *may* have happened when this Colin Hayes guy wasn’t around Al.

Story in the Irish mirror (gawwwd ‘elp us) this morning. The gist is that Al denies all regarding the allegations about the mental hospital sexual harassment.

Colin Hayes of 2fm has weighed in to say he’ll swear an affidavit to the effect that he didn’t see al doing anything inappropriate while in his company at the hospital.

Elephant in the room is obviously what *may* have happened when this Colin Hayes guy wasn’t around Al.

:rolleyes:

1. Lol
    2. Colm Hayes (note: not Colin), but Colin may have more credibility
    3. The Irish Mirror
    4. A 10 year old with limited experience of Cluedo could poke holes in that alibi

Looks like Al has been spending his free time watching Matlock or Murder She Wrote if this is how he plans to revive his “career”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is it still the case that no one has made a formal complaint to the Garadi regarding the hospital allegation ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Is it still the case that no one has made a formal complaint to the Garadi regarding the hospital allegation ?

Under HSE guidelines the hospital should inform the GardaThey have yet to do that.

We really don't know anything about the person who made the allegation. Perhaps it's lsomeone very unwell who decided to accuse Al Porter when they got wind that he was already in bother regarding previous accusations.

We really don't know anything about the person who made the allegation. Perhaps it's lsomeone very unwell who decided to accuse Al Porter when they got wind that he was already in bother regarding previous accusations.

Or perhaps we should give more of the benefit of the doubt to the person without a history of sexual assault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Or perhaps we should give more of the benefit of the doubt to the person without a history of sexual assault?

All the accusations are all alleged though. Why hav'nt they gone to the gaurds or why hav'nt HSE followed protocol?
    I think Al's silence is deafening but i dont agree with all the trial by media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All the accusations are all alleged though. Why hav'nt they gone to the gaurds or why hav'nt HSE followed protocol?

Yes, I'd agree here. I'm no fan of Porter's but there doesn't seem to be anything happening in this alleged case or in any other one from a legal / criminal viewpoint.

Indeed but it's just something I wondered about after reading Colm Hayes statement.

He's probably staying quiet to protect the enormous windfall he's going to he awarded if this hospital thing is proven false

He's probably staying quiet to protect the enormous windfall he's going to he awarded if this hospital thing is proven false

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Strazdas wrote: »
    Yes, I'd agree here. I'm no fan of Porter's but there doesn't seem to be anything happening in this alleged case or in any other one from a legal / criminal viewpoint.

Even without these allegations going legal, his career is in tatters and likely to remain so.

• Advertisement

Use your words dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

donaghs wrote: »
    david75 wrote: »
    That would be really interesting. Imagine he went and got a law or medical degree.

And went for a job. But he didn’t get it cos of all this.

Even with no charges and just a public scandal, it’s unlikely anyone would hire you to do anything isn’t it?

No company would want that on their name.

Weird world we live in.

If the allegations are true, and if he got a job in a regalar workplace, nowadays there is a lot less tolerance for that sort of serial behavior (compared with the "gig economy").
    Workplace inductions, and on-going training outline what is considered harassment and how to report it, etc.

Bishop Eamonn Walsh:

From the Irish/Cork Examiners review of a 2017 show:
    "He begins his show with a song alongside his band before singling out a member of security, asking him, "Do I know you, I recognise the back of your head."
    The crowd erupts into laughter, all the more so because he’s showing off his backside saucily to a man in the front row.
    That same man is the butt of gay innuendoes throughout, as Porter insists he doesn’t want to be crude, but innuendo finds him."
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/al-porter-makes-live-at-the-marquee-debut-with-witty-camp-comedy-793961.html
    Targeting guys in the audience in front of their wives/girlfriends with sexual innuendo seems to be a big part of his live act. Interesting life/art comparisons.
    His mother works for the parish office in Tallaght and I feel that’s why the bishop made a statement

People should note that the hospital incident is just one of multiple allegations and apparently some of them involve verifiable evidence such as text messages and witnesses to the allegations.

People should note that the hospital incident is just one of multiple allegations and apparently some of them involve verifiable evidence such as text messages and witnesses to the allegations.

The texts that were leaked were just a lad looking for his hole were they not? Hardly "allegations"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If this is true, it should be brought to trial. This is the side of #MeToo and Trial by Social Media that I'm uneasy about. If Porter happens to be innocent of the allegations being made against him, it'd be a travesty if he loses everything. If he has done something(s) wrong, it should be brought through the correct channels and he should be treated accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Even without these allegations going legal, his career is in tatters and likely to remain so.

I really hope so.
    This guy has just about enough talent to stack shelves in Aldi, any less and he’s be the guy collecting trollies.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I really hope so.
    This guy has just about enough talent to stack shelves in Aldi, any less and he’s be the guy collecting trollies.

Hey, there's no need for a low blow like that!
    If I worked in Aldi, I'd be seething right now!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blade1 wrote: »
    Hey, there's no need for a low blow like that!
    If I worked in Aldi, I'd be seething right now!:D

I was just thinking how unfair I’d been to those guys.

And also some of the allegations involved Porter contacting persons he met through his position at Today FM, extremely inappropriate sexual messages bordering on blackmail etc. These allegations were investigated by his employer and resulted in Al leaving the station.

The texts that were leaked were just a lad looking for his hole were they not? Hardly "allegations"

Don’t know. Didn’t see the texts. Something about drug use was mentioned along with the inappropriate sexual content

Use your words dude

Was on the phone and couldn't be arsed typing a longer reply.

FYI, the reason there hasn't been any prosecutions on this case yet is the Gardai are still investigating. A case like this could take years to come to court; it's been a few months since the allegations were first aired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

_Brian wrote: »
    I really hope so.

You may not like his show/style, but that doesn't make him guilty of sexual assault.

We've spent the last 100 years taking away "judge and jury" powers from the Catholic Church; lets not now hand that power over to the media.

Let the guy have his trial. Until then he's innocent. Thats a cornerstone of modern legal systems. Convicting a man based on media reports is not something I like to see.

If this is true, it should be brought to trial. This is the side of #MeToo and Trial by Social Media that I'm uneasy about. If Porter happens to be innocent of the allegations being made against him, it'd be a travesty if he loses everything. If he has done something(s) wrong, it should be brought through the correct channels and he should be treated accordingly.

Are you suggesting each and every one of the people who have made allegations against him are making it up? He's already come out with a half-baked and half-arsed apology - he's definitely done something.

Btw, have you seen the texts?

Numerous people have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Has he been charged with anything?

Surely this has to go beyond gossip and lead to charges.

Are you suggesting each and every one of the people who have made allegations against him are making it up? He's already come out with a half-baked and half-arsed apology - he's definitely done something.

Btw, have you seen the texts?

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. Far from it. But I am uneasy about these allegations being out there in the public domain and nothing being done about them in terms of our legal system. If Porter has done what he has been accused of doing, it should go further. So far all we have to show is gossip and allegations which may or may not be true. How am I, as a random punter, to know for sure who is telling the truth?
    My concern is that someone's life (not necessarily Porter's) could be utterly destroyed by unfounded and untrue allegations.

No, I'm not suggesting that at all. Far from it. But I am uneasy about these allegations being out there in the public domain and nothing being done about them in terms of our legal system. If Porter has done what he has been accused of doing, it should go further. So far all we have to show is gossip and allegations which may or may not be true. How am I, as a random punter, to know for sure who is telling the truth?
    My concern is that someone's life (not necessarily Porter's) could be utterly destroyed by unfounded and untrue allegations.

It is/they are currently being investigated. Next step is a case to be put together. It will likely take 18+months at least before this happens given how the legal system in this country operates. For a comparative example: the man jailed last week for shall we say "interfering" with minors was discovered in 2016 (from memory, apologies if that's incorrect and I'm not in the mood nor do I have the energy to check it right now). These things take time.

I'm not sure what you're expecting? Allegations come out in November and jail or cleared before Christmas?

Did you read his apology?

He's admitted that some things happened and to more than one person, and tried to brush it off as a misunderstanding due to his "outrageous personality" (actual quote).

Thank you for explaining how our criminal system works. I'd never have figured it out by myself.

Did you read his apology?

He's admitted that some things happened and to more than one person, and tried to brush it off as a misunderstanding due to his "outrageous personality" (actual quote).

I am not defending him, despite what you think. For what it's worth I believe the allegations that he is a sleazebag. I've seen the "apology" and the various allegations.

The point I appear to have made an utter hames of making is this: we have the man hanged, drawn and quartered before any legal proceedings have begun. All this talk of texts, groping allegations etc. are out in the public domain. I hope each and every one is genuine for everyone's sake. It now looks like all you need to destroy anyone (not Porter) is a few allegations on Social Media.

Thank you for explaining how our criminal system works. I'd never have figured it out by myself.

Wow, sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Given your posts I felt you needed to have it explained to you tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement