Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

I recommend not engaging with "WHIP IT!" There are plenty of aspects of sexual assault such as what causes it, how it should be punished, etc., that are up for debate. The fact that touching someone's private parts against their consent is sexual assault is not up for debate and I have reported this poster on two occasions because it is simply unacceptable that someone on this forum is actually defending sexual assault; however, as far as I can tell no action has been taken so I would suggest that other posters who agree report the issue as well.

Posters have been suspended or banned for far less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Creol1 wrote: »
    I recommend not engaging with "WHIP IT!" There are plenty of aspects of sexual assault such as what causes it, how it should be punished, etc., that are up for debate. The fact that touching someone's private parts against their consent is sexual assault is not up for debate and I have reported this poster on two occasions because it is simply unacceptable that someone on this forum is actually defending sexual assault; however, as far as I can tell no action has been taken so I would suggest that other posters who agree report the issue as well.

Can you point out the posts where I have defended sexual assault?

EDIT: Several posters have disagreed with my position on this particular case. But they have debated their points and we have largely agreed to disagree. You have actually reported someone simply because they disagree with you. Hence, no action has been taken. Open your eyes and read my posts. And when you fail to find any posts where I have defended sexual assaults, then I trust you will be as quick to correct your sickening statement above as you were to fling the mud in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Bob_Marley

Creol1 wrote: »

According to the approved narrative today sexual assaults on males, and in particular homosexual assaults on males are always to be downplayed and swept under the carpet in comparison to sexual assaults on women. There's no me too or big speeches or agenda at the Oscars when it comes to sexual assaults on men. Can you imagine the outcry if a male RTE celebrity allegedly sexually assaulted a vulnerable female psychiatric patient at a psychiatric hospital while doing a celebrity mental health PR stunt ? So much for so called equality.

Bob_Marley wrote: »
    According to the approved narrative today sexual assaults on males, and in particular homosexual assaults on males are always to be downplayed and swept under the carpet in comparison to sexual assaults on women. There's no me too or big speeches or agenda at the Oscars when it comes to sexual assaults on men. Can you imagine the outcry if a male RTE celebrity allegedly sexually assaulted a vulnerable female psychiatric patient at a psychiatric hospital while doing a celebrity mental health PR stunt ?

You're right. There are no opinions. It's all a big conspiracy.
    We're allllll out to get ya, Bob...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    You're right. There are no opinions. It's all a big conspiracy.
    We're allllll out to get ya, Bob...

I suppose if you have no true points you can always resort to attacking the poster instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Did he really do a stand up routine in the George last night or is it a silly rumour

I suppose if you have no true points you can always resort to attacking the poster instead.

I'll decline, thanks... have a read of your previous post though if that's what you're into.
    Did he really do a stand up routine in the George last night or is it a silly rumour

He doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the box, it sounds like something he'd do!

I'll decline, thanks... have a read of your previous post though if that's what you're into.

So again other than attacking the poster still you still have nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Posted by The George...

https://twitter.com/TheGeorgeBar/status/981205899938291712
    Contrary to erroneous reports on social media, Al Porter was not booked to perform in the bar last night and was in attendance as a regular customer.

He appeared briefly on the stage after his name was picked randomly out of a hat in one of the games involving audience participation organised by the entertainment act that had been booked.

Our focus continues to be on ensuring that all our guests enjoy a great night out when they visit The George.

Funny. That's just what happened Ibrahim Halawa as well, he just happened to wander by accident onto the stage of a Muslim Brotherhood protest.
    These poor lads have no luck.

• Advertisement

So again other than attacking the poster still you still have nothing.

You're having a stormer, Lad... one of these days you might actually have an opinion on something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Oh no he didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

blade1 wrote: »
    Oh no he didn't!

Watch out, he’s behind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Would he not have been booed off the stage in that case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

According to the approved narrative today sexual assaults on males, and in particular homosexual assaults on males are always to be downplayed and swept under the carpet in comparison to sexual assaults on women. There's no me too or big speeches or agenda at the Oscars when it comes to sexual assaults on men. Can you imagine the outcry if a male RTE celebrity allegedly sexually assaulted a vulnerable female psychiatric patient at a psychiatric hospital while doing a celebrity mental health PR stunt ? So much for so called equality.

Well then speak up about it - who are you blaming here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Funny. That's just what happened Ibrahim Halawa as well, he just happened to wander by accident onto the stage of a Muslim Brotherhood protest.
    These poor lads have no luck.

How are these things even remotely similar?

One goes around doing stuff he shouldn't and the other is .... Oh!

Al Porter's downfall came as a direct result of people coming out and speaking about their experiences in response to the #metoo movement. I don't really feel that what he did was swept under the carpet either. Nobody wants to be associated with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Al Porter's downfall came as a direct result of people coming out and speaking about their experiences in response to the #metoo movement. I don't really feel that what he did was swept under the carpet either. Nobody wants to be associated with him.

I don't think that's necessarily true, while there hasn't been any massive outpouring of support, none of (from what I can see) of the RTE and TodayFM crowd have distanced themselves from him.

The recent front page on a rag, of his "changed ways" shows there's a bit of an open door still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well its up to men to create those me too hashtags and spur male celebrities into doing things like that. But men dont genuinely care enough about male sexual assault victims for that to happen, nobody is stopping this movement other than men, women certainly arent. Women did it because they care

razorblunt wrote: »
    I don't think that's necessarily true, while there hasn't been any massive outpouring of support, none of (from what I can see) of the RTE and TodayFM crowd have distanced themselves from him.

The recent front page on a rag, of his "changed ways" shows there's a bit of an open door still.

I seriously don't see there being an open door for him. Look at how quick the George were to distance themselves from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Assuming that the question is do I believe the above to be true?

It's an impossible question to answer. Every situation is different. In the case we're talking about, would it have been more serious if the victims were women? Yes, to me, it would have been more serious.

I'm not sure if that's more disrespectful to men or women :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I seriously don't see there being an open door for him. Look at how quick the George were to distance themselves from him.

I don't think their statement was anything like that, but more of clarifying what actually happened on the night and that anything else was just erroneous chinese whispers.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭EIREDriver

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/the-george-releases-statement-621301

Statements from The George and Al Porter's team.

EIREDriver wrote: »
    https://www.joe.ie/life-style/the-george-releases-statement-621301

Statements from The George and Al Porter's team.

Picked from the audience randomly! Ha!
    Poor Al, trying to enjoy his quiet night out and to go through being dragged up on stage!:rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

I suppose they're similar in regard to the fact that they both involve an idiot that the press seem inexplicably determined to paint as a victim of circumstance and rehabilitate their image by promoting positve stories about them, despite the fact that the general public at large just wishes they'd just "£$^*! off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

More nonsensical social media mob outrage.

Guy went for a drink with his mates, big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

In reference to Porter in the George on Monday night.

A comedian made inappropriate comments on stage as part of his act?

Jesus Christ no wonder comedy is dead. Are people that mentally fcked up these days that they cannot understand the concept of satire. How do they cope in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's not really splitting hairs though is it. A tax avoidance scheme is a million miles away from being branded a sexual predator - especially when you're known for a 'nudge nudge, wink wink' sexual innuendo brand of comedy.

You do realise I'm saying they both did the same things AFTER to try and move past it? (ie incorporating the scandal into their act) read my post.

**** me. People think I just came out and said both scandals were the same!!
    Look, I'll put it in a very easy to read way. Jimmy Carr handled it by making fun of it. Porter is trying to do the same. In 6 months another comedian will try to do the same. All I meant.

I know people on boards (and the Internet) like to twist posts so they can argue. But that's what I said. That's what I meant. That's what's in my previous posts for everyone to read.

Or does anyone else wanna twist things further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Look, I'll put it in a very easy to read way. Jimmy Carr handled it by making fun of it. Porter is trying to do the same.

I'm sure his victims don't appreciate him making a joke out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The statement from Porter’s agent in relation to his appearance at The George said: “Al categorically denies criminal wrongdoing, and he has not been charged or contacted by gardaí.

Above quote reveals that Porter intends a come back into the public eye in some form or other. I cant think of any other reason for retaining the services of an agent?

Secondly what are the Gardai doing if they have not even contacted him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Am sure you're probably right.
    But I didn't drop the hand. I didn't make the jokes the other night. So if you have an issue blame porter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Above quote reveals that Porter intends a come back into the public eye in some form or other. I cant think of any other reason for retaining the services of an agent?

Secondly what are the Gardai doing if they have not even contacted him?

A complaint needs to be made to the Gardaí. I'm assuming nobody has formally made a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

BattleCorp wrote: »
    A complaint needs to be made to the Gardaí. I'm assuming nobody has formally made a complaint.

Yeah perhaps. Not sure what happened with the guy in St.Patricks Hospital. iirc though the hospital themselves were obliged to report any allegation they became aware of.

I'm not sure if that's more disrespectful to men or women :confused:

That would be because it's disrespectful to neither, Lad (we really need a thumbs up emoji on boards... I'd put one here if there was one... sort it out, Mods!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That would be because it's disrespectful to neither, Lad (we really need a thumbs up emoji on boards... I'd put one here if there was one... sort it out, Mods!)
    Feedback thread or, better yet, maybe the help desk?:)

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well its up to men to create those me too hashtags and spur male celebrities into doing things like that. But men dont genuinely care enough about male sexual assault victims for that to happen, nobody is stopping this movement other than men, women certainly arent. Women did it because they care

Men don't care about being sexually abused, assaulted or raped ?
    Imagine this claim was made about women, there would be an explosion of mass hysterics and outrage, shrieks of sexism, yet it's perfectly ok to claim this about men.

and me too is for women only now ? why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

We're all victims of his "jokes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No sign of any charges yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

No sign of any charges yet?

If the above quote is accurate, the guards have not even contacted Al

• Advertisement

Apparently Al said he is entitled to a private life.
    So what does he do?
    He gets up on stage and makes cringeworthy inappropriate jokes to the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

blade1 wrote: »
    Apparently Al said he is entitled to a private life.
    So what does he do?
    He gets up on stage and makes cringeworthy inappropriate jokes to the public.

Seemingly a number of ppl were quite hostile to him in the crowd and also some started posting on social media negatively about it. I know as my friends partner works in the G and was there on Monday night.

Seemingly a number of ppl were quite hostile to him in the crowd and also some started posting on social media negatively about it. I know as my friends partner works in the G and was there on Monday night.

I can see why.

If the above quote is accurate, the guards have not even contacted Al

Let him on so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

In reference to Porter in the George on Monday night.

A comedian made inappropriate comments on stage as part of his act?

Jesus Christ no wonder comedy is dead. Are people that mentally fcked up these days that they cannot understand the concept of satire. How do they cope in the world.

...I don't think you know what Satire is lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Poor Al Porter...still the persecution complex and trying to make what he's accused of seem little by comparing it to the referendum.

"the timing, in the midst of a hugely significant referendum is awful,"

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/al-porter-issues-a-statement-regarding-allegations-of-misconduct-at-dublin-hospital-845178.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Nice bit of deflection by the scumbag.

It’s his word against the victims.

So he said he did nothing, if he did something the complainant would surely make a statement... So it looks he did nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was bad news friday yesterday...with the referendum and gdpr going on, was the day to get stuff out under the radar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Cynical PR move in the timing, and disgusting to even mention the referendum in it.

As for the investigation in St. Pat’s, it’s one person’s word v another’s and the outcome was always likely to be this in the abscence of any 3rd part witnesses.

Now if only this was the first and only allegation it might carry some weight.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement