Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Someone going to the guards years later after they were allegedly 'groped' could be described as foolish.
    . Can take along time for garda to put info statements etc before they do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Someone going to the guards years later after they were allegedly 'groped' could be described as foolish.

Yeah, and even if they were,it's their own fault for leading him on.
    I hear ya Al!! :pac::pac:

I take no joy in seeing him pulled down the question I ask though is would we do something similar in the same situation. After the incident in school you think he'd have copped himself on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Alan kavanagh aka al porter.

Thank god they caught him early in his career or god knows what kind of horrors we’d be facing in years to come.

I take no joy in seeing him pulled down the question I ask though is would we do something similar in the same situation. After the incident in school you think he'd have copped himself on

What incident in school

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Alan kavanagh aka al porter.

Thank god they caught him early in his career or god knows what kind of horrors we’d be facing in years to come.

Oh yeah, he'd have made Jimmy Saville look like a saint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A former hospital patient, in his mid-20s, had accused the comedian of putting his hands on his crotch and kissing him on the mouth.

The investigation concluded that “the absence of appropriate boundaries” in Porter’s contact with the patient “did cause the complainant to feel uncomfortable”.

In a statement Porter said he was pleased with the probe’s findings.

He said: “I accept the report conclusion. That physical contact (a hand on the back and chest) during a conversation made the complainant uncomfortable.

“And later that day physical contact (a hand on his shoulder and a kiss on the cheek), my standard photo pose, for a photo he requested, made the complainant uncomfortable again. I regret that.”

Looks like an investigation found the incident in St Patricks Psychiatric Hospital was not as reported. That was the most serious allegation I think as it did portray him as someone preying on vulnerable men and he denied it. It also says others corroborated his version of events.

If someone had assaulted me or made me uncomfortable in a conversation I dont think I'd ask for a photo of the two of us together later on. I'd be doubtful a predator, as Al has been described, would go for crotch groping during a photo.

Maybe it was way overblown and if so I'd be sympathetic, It would be a lot to lose over a bit of over gesticulation and common social touching.

Common social touching ? Is that the excuse now.

Common social touching ? Is that the excuse now.

Would you consider the below sexual in nature or an assault of any variety? The complainant was a man so a chest touch wouldn't be too traumatic?
    Would it not be considered normal social touching?

"That physical contact (a hand on the back and chest) during a conversation made the complainant uncomfortable.

“And later that day physical contact (a hand on his shoulder and a kiss on the cheek)my standard photo pose, for a photo he requested, made the complainant uncomfortable again. I regret that"

• Advertisement

Would you consider the below sexual in nature or an assault of any variety? The complainant was a man so a chest touch wouldn't be too traumatic?

That’s just one of many complaints.

The 'safe space' was invaded making you worse than Jimmy Saville.

Go directly to Jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200

Generally Where's there's smoke there is fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fire? smouldering embers me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

fryup wrote: »
    fire? smouldering embers me thinks

Flaming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

But but but he's gay,isn't it ok in this day and age ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

This is only one of many allegations. Even Dave McSavage withdrew his support from Al, after speaking to those he 'allegedly' groped. (Legalese so boards doesn't get sued).

There's more accusations outside of the psych patient.

This is only one of many allegations. Even Dave McSavage withdrew his support from Al, after speaking to those he 'allegedly' groped. (Legalese so boards doesn't get sued).

There's more accusations outside of the psych patient.

Yes, I wouldn't say he's innocent of everything, he definitely has a problem with knowing how to behave appropriately. The psych patient incident did paint it all in a very predatory light though, like he was up for abusing people with in hospital with mental health issues for sexual kicks.
    I'm glad it wasn't found to be accurate.

Yes, I wouldn't say he's innocent of everything, he definitely has a problem with knowing how to behave appropriately. The psych patient incident did paint it all in a very predatory light though, like he was up for abusing people with in hospital with mental health issues for sexual kicks.
    I'm glad it wasn't found to be accurate.

He still hasn't spoken of the other stuff. So it's not all plain sailing.

the gardai would have interviewed the complainee and then anyone who may have relevant information. Then the accussed will come in and make a statement, all information will be forwarded to the dpp who will make a decision to procecute or not to procecute. "The time varies depending on the complexity of the case. Sometimes further information may be required from the Gardaí, and this can add to the length of the process. According to the DPP booklet, if the case is straightforward a decision is usually made within two weeks of receiving the completed file."

• Advertisement

the gardai would have interviewed the complainee and then anyone who may have relevant information. Then the accussed will come in and make a statement, all information will be forwarded to the dpp who will make a decision to procecute or not to procecute. "The time varies depending on the complexity of the case. Sometimes further information may be required from the Gardaí, and this can add to the length of the process. According to the DPP booklet, if the case is straightforward a decision is usually made within two weeks of receiving the completed file."

So they'll dump the file in the bin and everyone will get on with their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How come this is back up, has be been squeezing mickeys again?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So will "handy" Al be facing prosecution anytime soon or have any of the many allegations against him been proven?

almost 0 information on it anywhere on the internet, or newpapers, generally means one thing

almost 0 information on it anywhere on the internet, or newpapers, generally means one thing

It's a cover-up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's a cover-up !

You've got to hand it to him!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe it was way overblown and if so I'd be sympathetic, It would be a lot to lose over a bit of over gesticulation and common social touching.

I hope you and I never meet socially!

Effects wrote: »

..and in private?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Grayditch wrote: »
    How come this is back up, has be been squeezing mickeys again?

I thought it resurfaced about a month back after The Gaiety said they were open to a return this Xmas.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I thought it resurfaced about a month back after The Gaiety said they were open to a return this Xmas.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

• Advertisement

..and in private?

I'd be more worried about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's just a randy touchy guy, nothing to be afraid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Grabbing someone by the balls 'in fun' is pretty creepy. Add to that him being gay. Not that a 'straight' lad doing would be great laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Its in keeping with his flamboyant persona dont you know....:rolleyes:

I had heard rumours about him being bit of a creep a while back, it seems they were true.
    His career is effectively over now, no one to blame but himself.

gmisk wrote: »

Louis CK seems to be making a come back, despite the horrible things he did.
    I'm sure people will learn to forgive Al eventually.

Yeah you never know I guess, I saw he was attempting a comeback alright not, he is pretty tainted though his behaviour was horrendous.

Is it any worse than what Louis did?
    I think Al could still do some gigs abroad, like he used to, and people are less likely to remember what he did.
    He doesn't seem to have taken any responsibility for his behaviour though, which is worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's weird how Al Porter has managed to compress the complete rise and fall of a Saturday night entertainer into just a few short years.

I think Al could still do some gigs abroad, like he used to, and people are less likely to remember what he did.
    He doesn't seem to have taken any responsibility for his behaviour though, which is worrying.
    Very true I actually think that statement he put out made things worse.

From what I have read I would have thought Louis CKs actions were probably more extreme, but its clear both have impacted on peoples lives in a really horrible way.

• Advertisement

If he did go abroad, knowing his 'predilections', I imagine he'd get up to the same behaviour- the 'they don't know me here' excuse.

Just because he's left the area, doesn't change who he is.
    briany wrote: »
    It's weird how Al Porter has managed to compress the complete rise and fall of a Saturday night entertainer into just a few short years.

It's the John Leslie, Michael Barrymore story all woven into one.

Don't worry, you'll be safe from my social shoulder pats and back pats. I wouldn't be a big patter :D

Infairness I was just referring to the details of the psych hospital case. If that was just shoulder and back pats and a requested cheek kiss and photo hours after the offending back pats as is suggested by the investigation response, then I would think that that particular incident was blown out of proportion.

It doesn't mean I think the other incidents were ok if they were as reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

From reading through this thread and other platforms I get the impression that Porter would get up on anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Is mickey grabber Al back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hard to believe he is only 24, looks like he is late 30s. I was shocked when I saw his age

It also feels like he has been around a lot of years in the media. Far too long.

He'll be back at some stage. When this all dies down, he'll relaunch his TV career with a whirlwind junket of chat shows (morning, afternoon and evening), and do a feature article in the Sunday World magazine. He'll blame his behaviour on a temporary psychosis, drugs or having been abused himself. Textbook stuff, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

gmisk wrote: »

Louis CK can be funny but Al Porter is as funny as ar5e cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

There is plenty more markets in Murica that a scandalised comedian can niche themselve into, especially when they are so high profile. When you have a population of 325 million, a fair fraction of them bat sh@t crazy and lacking morals, you are always going to get an opportunity to revive your career to some extent. Obviously he won't make the money he once did but he will certainly make a career out of comedy.

Opportunities are few and far between this side of the Atlantic so there is no way a very one dimensional (that dimension being not very funny at all) "comedian" could make a decent career again after all these allegations of sexual assault.

Massive difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Louis CK did despicable stuff but is talented.Al did very little but is an untalented hack so I doubt anyone is in a hurry to give him a break.
    It's actually astonishing he ever got sorta famous to begin with.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Louis CK did despicable stuff but is talented.Al did very little but is an untalented hack so I doubt anyone is in a hurry to give him a break.

Creative talent would appear to be incidental in what it takes to make it in showbiz. The reason for his rise to fame in the first place had a lot to do with possessing confidence (even if feigned), bravado and bluster, plus knowing the right people.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Creative talent would appear to be incidental in what it takes to make it in showbiz. The reason for his rise to fame in the first place had a lot to do with possessing confidence (even if feigned), bravado and bluster, plus knowing the right people.

Porter seemed to be trying to market himself as a more unlikable Paul O'Grady, and that's what, I think, got him his gigs. Even Tv3 cast him on Blind Date because O'Grady was doing the UK version.

The common denominator for CK and Porter is that they lost someone money-CK had a movie that was scrapped after it was filmed. Cast, crew, and production crew had to be paid, a whole marketing plan had to be cancelled, and no doubt was paid in advance. CK has burned a lot of bridges too, and lost a lot of friends. He'll possibly be allowed do small gigs, but he's angered a lot of people, many of whom defended him when there were rumours abounding, that CK denied or claimed were false.

Porter has had a few defenders (Brendan O'Connor for one, Dave McSavage did too, at one point. But he's withdrawn his support of him). Porter also lost the then TV3 (Now Virgin Media One) station a lot of money. People were paid in advance, it had a large marketing campaign, money from sponsors, advertising slots sold, etc etc... his groping was awful, for sure. But let's be honest here, it wasn't the groping that lost him his career, it was that he cost folks a lot of money. The then DG of TV3 has said that they 'won't rule out' airing the unaired Blind Date episodes, but he'd be lucky if they aired in a 5am slot where even the night shift folks were watching.

Neil Prendiville 'pleasured' himself on a plane-but he didn't cost anyone money, so he didn't lose his job.
    He'll be back at some stage. When this all dies down, he'll relaunch his TV career with a whirlwind junket of chat shows (morning, afternoon and evening), and do a feature article in the Sunday World magazine. He'll blame his behaviour on a temporary psychosis, drugs or having been abused himself. Textbook stuff, really.

He could try that-but then there are accusations going back to secondary school, so that story won't fly. Also, he's already played the mental illness card, what with his appearance on Brendan O'Connor's show with his supposed depression.
    (And those in the know have already claimed that that was Porter lying again-he doesn't have any mental health issues).

Oliver Callan, for example, has said that if Porter wants to make a comeback, he needs to address the accusations. But he's been so slow in doing so, I can't imagine he'll be back anytime soon.
    Here's hoping he never returns.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement