Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'd say the reason why Porter's been slow to address accusations is because he's meticulously trying to piece together his case that he will then present to the court of public opinion. A patchwork of deflection, sincerity and sympathy. Also, more crucially, he's probably waiting for the right climate to present it, i.e. when the heat's died down. He's probably got a publicist or two advising him on all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

briany wrote: »
    I'd say the reason why Porter's been slow to address accusations is because he's meticulously trying to piece together his case that he will then present to the court of public opinion. A patchwork of deflection, sincerity and sympathy. Also, more crucially, he's probably waiting for the right climate to present it, i.e. when the heat's died down. He's probably got a publicist or two advising him on all this.

but...but...but...."flamboyant and outrageous" people aren't meticulous in their actions... are you suggesting Al is a phony!

Nah, he can dress it up as he pleases, I can't see it wash with the Irish public. He was grating increasingly more on people as he was, becoming more of a cliche and running out of "the only gay in Tallaght village" material, the Irish media outlets can't afford to give him another chance considering how small the market is here and he seems to be very much unliked on the Irish comedy circuit so it;s inconceivable that he will make a career over here again. Especially the nature of the allegations. I can't think of any examples where someone rescued their career over here in the media/public eye after such a downfall in public perception, whatever the crime/misbehaviour.

And he just doesn't have the material or affability to make a career out of comedy in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I wonder if Al had any involvement in this as a way to “resurrect” himself

https://www.buzz.ie/celebs/al-porter-fake-story-313697

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You would miss him like a hole in your head....

Not funny, never was and his voice was like nails run down a black board.

PopTarts wrote: »
    I wonder if Al had any involvement in this as a way to “resurrect” himself

https://www.buzz.ie/celebs/al-porter-fake-story-313697

The cynic in me definitely thinks this is something he devised himself as a means of attracting some sympathy to, as you say, lay the foundations for resurrecting his career.
    The mental health thing has been a bandwagon for so many to hop on and, although there are some great advocates for it (even Bressie INITIALLY - before he soon became a parody of himself), so this would attract some positive PR for him. Turning himself into the victim here.

The whole way through this he has been shown to be calculating in his efforts to make a comeback, yet never directly apologetic, more focusing on him as a flawed person (the sympathy vote) than him actually committing the actions.

But that is just the cynic in me.........

I also don't doubt there are weirdos out there that would concuct this story. I imagine he has a lot of haters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No doubt angling for a LLS appearance out of it I’d say.

Whatever about his private issues he was a Pathetic comedian.

His twitter feed is just a mass of retweet by his select remaining fan boys / girls who haven't given a second thought to what he done and are plying him with the sympathy vote and urging him to make a comeback. Rory Cowan from Mrs Browns seems to be getting behind him (pardon the pun) now also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Pick a topic which people would/should never mock and which is a sure fire attention getter. Cobble together a non story from a conveniently anonymous source with the express intent of having mainstream outlets pick up on it. The manipulative bent being that anyone calling BS on Al Porter he can conflate it as them belittling suicide instead and get to play the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭PopTarts

No doubt angling for a LLS appearance out of it I’d say.

My thoughts too - he’s just so irrelevant for something like that to come so out of the blue.

He is using twitter to retweet any support for him on this.

PopTarts wrote: »
    My thoughts too - he’s just so irrelevant for something like that to come so out of the blue.

He is using twitter to retweet any support for him on this.

Ppl on the celebs who disappeared thread noticed that the gaiety panto was supposedly co written by him and Karl Spain but it was not publicised

I’d say they knew it was be bad publicity and ppl would probably not bother going if they knew al kavanagh aka porter was involved :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

If the dpp aren't going to press charges, no reason why he can't make a comeback. Perhaps he'll get Larry Gogan's slot on 2fm?

If the dpp aren't going to press charges, no reason why he can't make a comeback. Perhaps he'll get Larry Gogan's slot on 2fm?

Too much baggage with him.

Surely RTÉ would prefer to go with someone fresh without the sh1tstorm that surrounds him.

:D

Is this a joke post! You do realise legally he is entitled to do gigs, work in the media! It is the fact that due to the publicity, noone will be willing to hire him or very few will go to his gigs.

It is absolutely nothing to do with a court of law finding him guilty. He has all but admitted doing all this, he just hasn't been apologetic, sincere or accepting any wrongful misdemeanours on his behalf.

Do you honestly think that a radio station, least of all RTE would employ him? There are some idiots running the national broadcaster but there isn't a hope he would be employed as his name is now merely associated with sexual assault to 99% of listeners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

whatever about a private station taking him on I can't see RTE being stupid enough to think the public would be OK with public money paying his wages

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭benjy1000

He’s just trying to make himself relevant again.. 🙄
    He was found out but due to the fact he cost mainly tv3 a lot of lost lolly he won’t be back in public eye any time soon..

Ended up at one of his gigs once in vicar street, diarrohea of the mouth is what I’d describe it as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Well, his level of talent is suitable for RTE so perhaps. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He's yesterday's man and I can't see him ever getting another regular gig on national TV or radio. I never understood the appeal in the first place so I for one shan't miss him.

Having said that, I'm uneasy about the whole trial by twitter thing. So much for innocent until proven guilty. As things stand, there appears to be no prosecutions in the offing. He's not helping himself either though. Not only has he now got a nationwide reputation for being a bit handsy (at best), he's not owning it. If he came out fully repentant and accepted that it's no way for someone to behave and that he'll be keeping his hands to himself, he might have some sort of chance of pulling this out if he fire. Mealy mouthed apologies and stories like this one won't wash. It appears he has learned nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Seems Al Porter has been active again on social media ever since the false suicide story. It's the comments that I don't understand though.

Look at cases like Danny Masterson, rape is alleged against him and he is sacked and vilified. Yet there's a love in for Al Porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Seems Al Porter has been active again on social media ever since the false suicide story. It's the comments that I don't understand though.

Look at cases like Danny Masterson, rape is alleged against him and he is sacked and vilified. Yet there's a love in for Al Porter

Danny Masterson isn't gay so doesn't have a free pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It really comes back to that which is terrible.

Absolutely not defending Masterson here btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

There’s a reason not a single comedy club in town has invited him back. Porter’s behaviour was an open secret for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It really comes back to that which is terrible.

Absolutely not defending Masterson here btw

Or maybe it is because the US takes this stuff much more seriously these day. Ireland just hasn't caught up. I dont see any love-in for him. Has he even worked since?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What does he do for a living these days?

Not defending any alleged actions or anything but I did feel sorry for him at the time. To have a promising showbiz career shut down overnight must have been some shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He may go away and re-train in some other career because there is no way a national media outlet is going to risk giving him airtime ever again. Don't forget TV3 invested in him as the host for Blind Date and now they can't ever screen those episodes they paid to produce. He is a sunk cost in the TV & radio business now, he won't be given a second chance because anyone commissioning tv or radio programs would have a fear other stuff might come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Also Danny Masterson is accused of raping four women. Not groping someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Who??

Wha??

Can you compare cases like you are doing, no.

How does someone's sexuality come into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Or maybe it is because the US takes this stuff much more seriously these day. Ireland just hasn't caught up. I dont see any love-in for him. Has he even worked since?

He seems to be shaping up for some sort of return. He's dipping his toe in the water with some social media posts and he is getting support, even from some celebraties. I don't like trial by social media, but in certain cases you hear a lot of first and second hand stories and you can confidently know that someone is a predator. I have this opinion of Al Porter and Kevin Spacey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

imme wrote: »
    Who??

Wha??

Course it does. Or rather the gender of the victims.

If Porter was accused of groping women it would be a totally different story. But because it's men there is a mentality that they should have punched him or stopped it in some way and because they didn't they are either a) liars or b) they liked the attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

eviltwin wrote: »
    Course it does. Or rather the gender of the victims.

If Porter was accused of groping women it would be a totally different story. But because it's men there is a mentality that they should have punched him or stopped it in some way and because they didn't they are either a) liars or b) they liked the attention

Nope

Don't buy that.

All accusations have a common thread, misdeeds carried out by people in positions of power/authority.

imme wrote: »
    Who??

Wha??

People are afraid to say anything bad about Porter for fear of being labeled homophobic. He's scum and should be treated with the same contempt as anyone else who has been involved in similar cases. But we have people defending him here and on other forms of social media, why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

People are afraid to say anything bad about Porter for fear of being labeled homophobic. He's scum and should be treated with the same contempt as anyone else who has been involved in similar cases. But we have people defending him here and on other forms of social media, why is that?

People also defended MJ who is accused of raping kids, and the lads in the Belfast trial. The common thread if anything is that we treat famous people/ people we look up to differently than we would some fella down the road.

It’s like we think someone can’t be talented in one area of their lives and a complete dick in others.

There’s no fear of homophobia- I’m very pro gay rights and I think Al is a cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

As far as I'm aware, the only 'support' he has is that guy that used to be in Mrs Browns Boys-Rory whatshisface.

David McSavage had spoken out to support him-but withdrew it, after speaking to those who Porter groped and penetrated with his fingers.

But really-the allegations isn't what 'damned' Porter-what damned him was that he lost VM1 money. Left em with unaired episodes they have no idea what they'll do with.
    There's a saying in politics-'you can survive anything as long as you're not caught with a dead girl, or a live boy'. Porter was caught with a number of guys claiming he was a gropey f**kwit.
    But he 'might' have been able to sidestep that-if he hadn't lost a production company a ton of money. Money they had to spend themselves, because not funded by the TV license.

If RTE had lost the money, he might be in with a shot...cos its RTE.

As far as I'm aware, the only 'support' he has is that guy that used to be in Mrs Browns Boys-Rory whatshisface.

David McSavage had spoken out to support him-but withdrew it, after speaking to those who Porter groped and penetrated with his fingers.

But really-the allegations isn't what 'damned' Porter-what damned him was that he lost VM1 money. Left em with unaired episodes they have no idea what they'll do with.
    There's a saying in politics-'you can survive anything as long as you're not caught with a dead girl, or a live boy'. Porter was caught with a number of guys claiming he was a gropey f**kwit.
    But he 'might' have been able to sidestep that-if he hadn't lost a production company a ton of money. Money they had to spend themselves, because not funded by the TV license.

If RTE had lost the money, he might be in with a shot...cos its RTE.

So losing money for virgin media is worse, career wise, than sexual assault? Ireland 2019 folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So losing money for virgin media is worse, career wise, than sexual assault? Ireland 2019 folks.

That's just some guys opinion. The reason for all of it, losing and money and whatever, is the accusations of sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Ah come on now, money is all that matters the world over. Famous people get away with as much as they do for that exact reason, they make lots of people lots of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yep-it is, unfortunately But not just in Ireland, America too.
    And Britain.

As long as you don't cost someone anything-you're kosher. It's why R Kelly and others settled so often.

Stories in the Sunday world and the star today about Alan kavanagh aka al porter

Says he considered suicide -what about all your alleged victims ???

And oh yeah, he’s planning a comeback.

Just out of interest. Would many boardsies support his comeback attempt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

giphy-2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He's Ireland's Jussie Smollett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

He's back in the papers today telling us how he contemplated suicide,so he must be about to launch a comeback,hell be on the late late show soon for the misery segment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

If he's making up his suicidal thoughts to gain sympathy from the public then he's the lowest form of scum. Only he can tell us if that is true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Has he been rehabilitated?

Wouldn't it have been better if he just went through with it instead of running to the media with this story? As someone said, he's angling to get on the late late for the misery segment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was actually looking forward to never seeing on TV or hearing on the radio to be honest....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Has he been rehabilitated?

From being a bit handsy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i think he's great

he's our Joe Lysett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Jaysis he's a big annoying c.unt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

his act is shit but he has to have a path to redemption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sure everyone loves a loud camp gay.....don't they? or is it just the english?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement