Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It depends whether they want a loud camp guy who's harmless or one who's allegedly a bit handsy.

I think he's about as funny as herpes but someone must have found him amusing. It'll be interesting to see how his comeback goes. He doesn't appear to have been charged with anything so technically he's an innocent man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

From being a bit handsy?

See below for info on Outpatient vs Inpatient Sex Addition Rehab Programs

https://www.rehabs.com/addiction/sex-rehabs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think had he been a straight man all the me too feminist crowd would be absolutely disgusted by him but as he’s gay there doesn’t seem to be the same outrage - hopefully there is consistency in how ppl treat him

Wouldn't it have been better if he just went through with it instead of running to the media with this story? As someone said, he's angling to get on the late late for the misery segment

He’ll probably say he was under influence of drink or drugs, wasn’t his true self etc, and got treatment and is rehabilitated.

He’ll probably say he was under influence of drink or drugs, wasn’t his true self etc, and got treatment as is rehabilitated.

The allegations stretch from his school years to recent times. Was he drunk or drugged on each occasion? I’d say very very doubtful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

his act is shit but he has to have a path to redemption

He might be entitled to move on from the past, but he's not entitled to revive his media career, which was always based on his cheap sexual innuendo.

He can go work elsewhere and build a normal life for himself. If he keeps out of the media he'll be forgotten about and able to achieve all the redemption he wants.

I think it would be fairly insulting for RTE and co. to try to market him as a reformed character who has been through hell and back. It would just be a way of indirectly capitalizing on his past behaviour as far as Im concerned.

The suicide stuff is nonsense. Sure he was previously on the anxiety and depression bandwagon too with Bressie and co. A terrible victim altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He’ll probably say he was under influence of drink or drugs, wasn’t his true self etc, and got treatment and is rehabilitated.

No, the old drink and painkillers combo only gets you off with acts of public lewdness, like **** on an airplane or trying to force your way into a colleague’s hotel room naked.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Some say he was in danger of becoming another jimmy savile but thankfully the allegations came to light early in his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    See below for info on Outpatient vs Inpatient Sex Addition Rehab Programs

https://www.rehabs.com/addiction/sex-rehabs/
    That's great

Some say he was in danger of becoming another jimmy savile but thankfully the allegations came to light early in his career

I'm going to call b0llox to that

• Advertisement

I'm going to call b0llox to that

Sorry do you know what the allegations were? The hospital one? Clearly parallels there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

The allegations stretch from his school years to recent times. Was he drunk or drugged on each occasion? I’d say very very doubtful.

yeah, I've heard some fairly serious allegations from his school years from people who were around him. I grew up in the same area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

fryup wrote: »
    i think he's great

he's our Joe Lysett
    Totally disagree, Joe lycett is clever and hilarious Porter was always just a series of crude dated innuendo gags.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Peter Dudley

Porter's a freak.

Sorry do you know what the allegations were? The hospital one? Clearly parallels there

I'd be more interested in charges or settlements to be honest

I'd be more interested in charges or settlements to be honest

I would also. Could well happen

Potter's a freak.

I don't like Harry Potter either.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Peter Dudley

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I don't like Harry Potter either.

Haha ****ing autocorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

The saddest part is the guy has absolutely no remorse if he’s got his PR people putting out all these stories floating the idea of a comeback.

If he had any remorse he’d stay out of the spotlight, his only gay in the village shtick had gotten very old very quickly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Im beginning to feel a small bit sorry for the unfunny annoying fcuker.

Everyone makes mistakes, and deserves a second chance. Maybe he can rebuild a career for himself in the panto/crap theatre scene, where people excercise a choice to see him.

Just dont put the unfunny, one trick pony on mainstream entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I think had he been a straight man all the me too feminist crowd would be absolutely disgusted by him but as he’s gay there doesn’t seem to be the same outrage - hopefully there is consistency in how ppl treat him

There may be a bit of truth in that (in that it might apply to a small section of that crowd) but I imagine the reverse is true: people up in arms about Al Porter but would scoff at the allegations made by the 'me too feminist crowd'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Potter's a freak.

You sound like Malfoy trying to sound tough in front of crabbe and goyle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

He's back in the papers today telling us how he contemplated suicide,so he must be about to launch a comeback,hell be on the late late show soon for the misery segment

Ah the tried and true rehabilitation attempt in the public eye, Bertie Ahern has nearly completed his, interesting to see how this creeps attempt goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Wouldn't it have been better if he just went through with it instead of running to the media with this story? As someone said, he's angling to get on the late late for the misery segment

https://twitter.com/thealporter/status/1114966695008002049?s=12

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

If you're reading this Al, did you send love and positivity to your victims?

Ah the tried and true rehabilitation attempt in the public eye, Bertie Ahern has nearly completed his, interesting to see how this creeps attempt goes.

Somehow I can’t imagine Tubridy giving him an easy ride ride on LLS (did I say ride, what an unfortunate term!)...I could imagine him doing a Peter Casey on it. Porter/Kavanagh wouldn’t come out good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's a big love fest for him in the comments section over on Twitter, I get that he was depressed and that's not something to be taken lightly but he brought all of the attention he received in the media on himself.

If he wasn't going around feeling lads up he would have had nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thing is, I don't think he can make a comeback. His type of humour won't go down well at all after doing what he did. He can't make the usual sexual innuendo jokes any more. If he was an actor in fair City or some shít he might get away with it. But not when his entire person revolves around sexual innuendo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The old suicide card. It's a disgusting tactic. It basically boils down to, if you don't stop being mean to me I will kill myself, and it will all be your fault, even though I am the one who is in the wrong.

It's a tactic designed to shut down any criticism and to stifle debate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Cóp the f**k on and take responsibility for your actions, Al.

You're a grown adult but tbh I think you're more so just a narcissist so I doubt you'll ever get a grip.

In this age of social justice and social media, I hope your attempts to come back are shot down with just as much uproar, especially from your victims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

If he's making up his suicidal thoughts to gain sympathy from the public then he's the lowest form of scum. Only he can tell us if that is true or not.

I'm not defending his actions, but he actually didn't even speak to the papers about this. He tweeted a reply to someone to say something like he had been down a dark path and had seen the light and then the papers reported this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Has he or will he be charged with anything?
    He's not funny and should never have been on mainstream TV just not good enough. Old biddies and auld fellas seemed to live his camp style. Reminded them of the carry on films. As regards feeling depressed and suicidal maybe he wouldn't feel like that if he didn't try to touch people up but worse still he wouldn't feel like that if he hadn't been found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

He might be entitled to move on from the past, but he's not entitled to revive his media career, which was always based on his cheap sexual innuendo.

He can go work elsewhere and build a normal life for himself. If he keeps out of the media he'll be forgotten about and able to achieve all the redemption he wants.

I think it would be fairly insulting for RTE and co. to try to market him as a reformed character who has been through hell and back. It would just be a way of indirectly capitalizing on his past behaviour as far as Im concerned.

The suicide stuff is nonsense. Sure he was previously on the anxiety and depression bandwagon too with Bressie and co. A terrible victim altogether.

When you're talking about a subject such a suicide, who are you to say whether the person actually experienced suicidal thoughts or not? or dealt with anxiety or depression? You seem to be incredibly non sympathetic and assume that everyone is jumping on a bandwagon. I agree, some are. It's not 'nonsense'. This is the exact reason people keep quiet about the topic. Please read 'Me and My Mate Jeffrey' and then I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hopefully when or if he makes a comeback he'll leave out the constant dick jokes, dick jokes purely for the sake of saying dick or Mickey followed by an exaggerated laugh. So tedious and tiresome.

That’s it really. His “comedy” made missus brown seem highbrow and that’s some feat in itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Jesus, his twitter are just the ravings of a total narcissist. if i was in his position, I would have deleted my twitter a long time ago, he must have no shame. Its weird how he keeps posting stuff about his "career" so often on twitter, does he not realize his career ended a long time ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

If he was a straight man, there'd be many other men defending him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

And that would obviously be wrong.

The same way it is obviously wrong for anyone to defend him just because he is gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

What are you basing that on???????? I can't think of any examples off hand that suggest such a bias?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Jesus, his twitter are just the ravings of a total narcissist. if i was in his position, I would have deleted my twitter a long time ago, he must have no shame. Its weird how he keeps posting stuff about his "career" so often on twitter, does he not realize his career ended a long time ago?

and who's to say he won't make a comeback???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

If he is guilty, he should be tried and be convicted. However, until such a time, this trial by social media crap is not helpful for anyone.

• Advertisement

That's great

Only in Ireland do we not really take compulsive stuff like this seriously.

Dante7 wrote: »
    And that would obviously be wrong.

The same way it is obviously wrong for anyone to defend him just because he is gay.

Damn straight.

fryup wrote: »
    i think he's great

he's our Joe Lysett
    gmisk wrote: »
    Totally disagree, Joe lycett is clever and hilarious Porter was always just a series of crude dated innuendo gags.

and Lysett is any different???? c'mon all gay comedians do crude innuendo jokes....Norton, Carr, Lucas, Clary etc etc

What are you basing that on???????? I can't think of any examples off hand that suggest such a bias?

Have you never heard of some men defending rapists and extremely rapey behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I <3 U, Al!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's just mental looking at a perpetrator trying so desperately to morph into a victim.

Have you never heard of some men defending rapists and extremely rapey behaviour?

I am asking for examples of "defending them" .

I am asking for like for like examples.

rape? whats with this talk of rape? he didn't rape anyone as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Al should have done a Jeff Bezos on this. If he had admitted to everything at the start and said he was genuinely sorry and would be taking steps to avoid doing it again, it'd all have been over by now. His mealy-mouthed non apology did him and his reputation no good whatsoever. I'm not sure he has learned anything from this.

Dante7 wrote: »
    The old suicide card. It's a disgusting tactic. It basically boils down to, if you don't stop being mean to me I will kill myself, and it will all be your fault, even though I am the one who is in the wrong.

It's a tactic designed to shut down any criticism and to stifle debate.

He is watching you, Dante, watch your back, pun intended.................

https://twitter.com/TheAlPorter/status/1114992755602853888

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement