Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

Edgware wrote: »

Gaybo used love having the top British celebrity, Jimmy Saville, on the Late Late.
    Of course Rolf Harris was on another night and got very emotional singing Two little boys

I remember that night, was young and gullible. My parents remarked how genuine a soul Rolf must be, a good man for sure, and does your heart good seeing the humanity in him. He was apparently reacting to previous guest on who was detailing the devastation of bombing and death in Northern Ireland. Rolf’s breakdown appeared extremely genuine at the time, he excused himself saying that he was very affected by the tragedy in the North. I was quite devastated to learn of Harris’ appalling predatory behaviour. It turned my understanding of humanity upside down. Either it was a total put-on opportunist act to portray himself as white as the driven snow, or else there is s dichotomy in his thinking: being genuinely sad at terrorist atrocities and death and st the same time telling himself a bit of sex with children was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gaybo used love having the top British celebrity, Jimmy Saville, on the Late Late.
    Of course Rolf Harris was on another night and got very emotional singing Two little boys

And yet he wouldn't shake Gerry Adams' hand. And outright attacked him on his show... doesn't look great in retrospect.

No fan of Gerry's, mind, but Gay Byrne had some very blighted moments-including the Annie Murphy travesty of an interview.
    (I didn't see it then, I think I saw it on one of those retrospective shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I remember that night, was young and gullible. My parents remarked how genuine a soul Rolf must be, a good man for sure, and does your heart good seeing the humanity in him. He was apparently reacting to previous guest on who was detailing the devastation of bombing and death in Northern Ireland. Rolf’s breakdown appeared extremely genuine at the time, he excused himself saying that he was very affected by the tragedy in the North. I was quite devastated to learn of Harris’ appalling predatory behaviour. It turned my understanding of humanity upside down. Either it was a total put-on opportunist act to portray himself as white as the driven snow, or else there is s dichotomy in his thinking: being genuinely sad at terrorist atrocities and death and st the same time telling himself a bit of sex with children was ok.
    My parents thought Rolf Harris was amazing. They saw through saville though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Rolf hurt. My mother loved him as a child. I liked him as a child too, I was an arty kid and loved a book he brought out about bettering your drawing skills. That was the accusation (and subsequent conviction) that made me question humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Imagine the pressure the courtroom artist was under during the Rolf Harris trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

joeguevara wrote: »
    Imagine the pressure the courtroom artist was under during the Rolf Harris trial.

It was Mary Fitzgerald,she just had to make and do!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

And yet he wouldn't shake Gerry Adams' hand. And outright attacked him on his show... doesn't look great in retrospect.

No fan of Gerry's, mind, but Gay Byrne had some very blighted moments-including the Annie Murphy travesty of an interview.
    (I didn't see it then, I think I saw it on one of those retrospective shows).
    Gaybo was probably thinking of his Communion money that the Provos took from his post office account.
    For a man that so many think is great he has shown himself to be a bit of a fool, allowing himself to be ripped off twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Gaybo was probably thinking of his Commuion money that the Provos took from his post office account.
    For a man that so many think is great he has shown himself to be a bit of a fool, allowing himself to be ripped off twice.

I never liked Gay Byrne.

I thought he just a sneering condescending **** behind the whole 'Uncle Gaybo' facade.

He was certainly no fan of Ireland or Irishness and a typical Jackeen West Brit lover in the Terry Wogan and Bob Geldof category. They grew up hating Irish independence as it disrupted their parent's nice middle class up bringing and would have preferred to be licking Elizabeth Windsor's ass and full of self loathing.

I never liked Gay Byrne.

I thought he just a sneering condescending **** behind the whole 'Uncle Gaybo' facade.

He was certainly no fan of Ireland or Irishness and a typical Jackeen West Brit lover in the Terry Wogan and Bob Geldof category. They grew up hating Irish independence as it disrupted their parent's nice middle class up bringing and would have preferred to be licking Elizabeth Windsor's ass and full of self loathing.

I always thought of him as a patronising **** especially when interacting with the Dublin working class or people from the country with strong regional accents.
    He loved sucking up to Wogan and the B.B.C. shower. If he had stayed in Britain he would have been found out and end up doing afternoon shows like Supermarket Sweep for Anglia or Granada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Dont compare him to Joe dolan. Joe dolan was a legend.

I remember being in the Swiss Cottage in Santry many years ago, and Joe Dolan came in drunk, and tried to feel up every girl in the place, his entourage though it was hilarious but left quickly when it became obvious they were going to get a hiding. I didn't know at the time he was gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

well if he was gay..why was he feeling up girls?

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Part of his flamboyant persona??? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I never liked Gay Byrne.

All that "Irish independence" stuff is absolute malarkey. Listen to yourself, you sound unhinged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

blade1 wrote: »
    Part of his flamboyant persona??? :eek:

You mean the white suit wasn't enough?

It's alright lads, he's after been locked up!
    Still playing the 'I'm innocent' card though:pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057970684

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think Joe liked a bit of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I remember being in the Swiss Cottage in Santry many years ago, and Joe Dolan came in drunk, and tried to feel up every girl in the place, his entourage though it was hilarious but left quickly when it became obvious they were going to get a hiding. I didn't know at the time he was gay.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He was only gay at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

I think Joe liked a bit of both.

We’ll have to take your word on that..

I'd say if we were to compare Porter with anyone it would akin to Brock Turner, that Toerag in the states who did similar to a young woman who was unconscious.
    There was no penetration using the penis but there was digital penetration into her vagina.

Still went to prison-a very light sentence notwithstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say if we were to compare Porter with anyone it would akin to Brock Turner, that Toerag in the states who did similar to a young woman who was unconscious.
    There was no penetration using the penis but there was digital penetration into her vagina.

Still went to prison-a very light sentence notwithstanding.

I absolutely hate Al Porter and I'd be delighted if I never had to see or hear from him again but in the interests of fairness, Al cannot be compared to anybody who has been convicted of a sex crime because he hasn't been convicted of a sex crime - any sort of sex crime.

Did he do dodgy stuff, I don't know. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I can't say. But until such a time as he is convicted in a court of law, I won't be comparing him to sex offenders elsewhere.

He's still a talentless d1ckhead though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭mistersifter

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Did he do dodgy stuff, I don't know. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

He did. He admits it, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RTÉ fell for him hook line and sinker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Dante7 wrote: »
    There was an article in The Times today stating that he hasn't apologised to any of the men he allegedly groped.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/al-porter-has-not-said-sorry-to-us-groping-accusers-claim-m929vzqsc

Just WOW because it’s same sex some people turn a blind eye to it. As a nation we should be out raged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Just WOW because it’s same sex some people turn a blind eye to it. As a nation we should be out raged

:confused:

Are you suggesting that the media and public have ignored this? I haven't a clue what the tone of your post is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ding ding! Round 4...

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/al-porter-lost-everything-shouldnt-14277229

Get some mate/vacuous wagon to write a sympathetic article and blame 'cancel culture'??!

Is that a thing? First ive heard of it...

• Advertisement

Ah, the old flying monkeys are coming out now. If you pardon the pun..

retalivity wrote: »
    Ding ding! Round 4...

Get some mate/vacuous wagon to write a sympathetic article and blame 'cancel culture'??!

Yep-Cancel culture is when folks say stuff like 'Oh, this person did this-he/she's cancelled'. It literally translates to 'they don't matter anymore'...

Means absolutely nothing-it's just folks on twitter screaming into the void...
    JK Rowling has been 'cancelled' for a while now-hasn't affected her pocket or her income at all.

So I did some research...and of COURSE she's following Al on twitter. And reposted her article...to an astonishing 'six' likes. None from Al.

(Also-humble brag, I'm a nobody-and even I have more twitter followers than her :P ).

Porter hasn't lost anything-he's got a production company that's still raking in money for him-even if he's not on stage, he's still getting money from other productions.
    IT's not as if he didn't get anything from that Panto.

The guy is making more money than many of us are, and yet he's supposedly lost 'everything'...

Rubbish

RTÉ fell for him hook line and sinker

Well they are noted for their ability to spot talent.
    Just watch Marty and Bernard Road trip

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ding ding! Round 4...

Only a thing in her head R.

And he didn't admit responsibility for anything as she thinks. I would bet the farm the same writer would no way in hell put out a piece like that if he had been caught and admitted to sexually assaulting women. He'd be slapped in the #metoo naughty cage never to return.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well they are noted for their ability to spot talent.
    Just watch Marty and Bernard Road trip

Well, even they didn't invest money in him...

On the other hand, TV3 (now VM!) lost a lot of money on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ding ding! Round 4...

I am pretty sure that woman is just Al Porter in drag....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

gmisk wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that woman is just Al Porter in drag....

A TransPorter, so to speak?

"Cancel culture" :rolleyes:

What a terrible society we are for not wanting to make celebrities out of people who repeatedly commit sexual assault, who only stop because theyre caught and then fail to even apologize.

Why did we not realize that Al Porter is entitled by birth to a cushy number on RTE? Thanks for letting us know Marguerite!

Of course we should just forget that he tried to shove his finger up some poor unsuspecting f*cker's hole. Quick! Get him get back to his cheap gay sex innuendo and Blind Date gig ASAP. Maybe someone could even arrange a cameo on Mrs Brown or something? Just to make up for lost time.

....Trying to blame the general disgust towards Porter on the permanently offended snowflakes is pretty far off the mark.

What culture is she on about anyway? There are plenty of examples of people saying and doing controversial **** while advancing their careers. Did she miss the part where Donald Trump grabbed a load of women by the p*ssy and then became POTUS!?

The writer of that article works or worked for Pieta House. A friend of Al Porter/Kavanagh by the sounds of it.

humberklog wrote: »
    A TransPorter, so to speak?

giphy.gif
    The writer of that article works or worked for Pieta House. A friend of Al Porter/Kavanagh by the sounds of it.

Follows him on twitter too.

Wonder if she'll come out and defend those two actresses, both of colour, who were fired for tweets they made in the past?
    One was fired from Emmerdale (just yesterday, tweets made 5 years ago where she used the 'N' word) and another was fired from a production of The Colour Purple for tweets where she got all homophobic and stuff, again, five years ago.
    Oh, and those tweets (by both women) were made when they were both in their teens. Oh, and they're still younger than Al... But you know what they difference is?

They accepted what they said was wrong, have owned up to it, and taken their punishments with dignity, even if it's cost em permanent work.

But yer man's 26, sure he hasn't a lick of sense-sure he's barely out of pre-school.

Ah feck it-we'll get him a present, fer being such a good chap. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wonder if she'll come out and defend those two actresses, both of colour, who were fired for tweets they made in the past?
    One was fired from Emmerdale (just yesterday, tweets made 5 years ago where she used the 'N' word) and another was fired from a production of The Colour Purple for tweets where she got all homophobic and stuff, again, five years ago.
    Oh, and those tweets (by both women) were made when they were both in their teens. Oh, and they're still younger than Al... But you know what they difference is?

They accepted what they said was wrong, have owned up to it
    , and taken their punishments with dignity, even if it's cost em permanent work.

But yer man's 26, sure he hasn't a lick of sense-sure he's barely out of pre-school.

Ah feck it-we'll get him a present, fer being such a good chap. :rolleyes:
    I agree with the point you are making entirely, but I dont think that young actress who was fired from the colour purple has issued an apology of any sort.
    https://twitter.com/seyiomooba?lang=en
    Her father btw Adegboyega Omooba has an MBE despite being a very anti LGBT pastor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ding ding! Round 4...

Massive weird picture of the writer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

The taxi driver who is in the news at the moment has pleaded guilty to sexual offences that would seem to be in the same range as the offences that All Porter has been accused of. Very different reaction between the two cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The taxi driver who is in the news at the moment has pleaded guilty to sexual offences that would seem to be in the same range as the offences that All Porter has been accused of. Very different reaction between the two cases.

Because one case is a conviction. The other is just allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If it was just the taxi drivers flamboyant lifestyle then he's grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Phoebas wrote: »
    Because one case is a conviction. The other is just allegations.

No conviction as of yet. The taxi driver has pleaded guilty, bit not yet convicted. Al has also admitted his wrongdoing to a certain extent. I'm just pointing out the very different reactions to very similar offences. I'm inclined to agree that the taxi driver offence is worse, as women in that position are much more vulnerable.

gmisk wrote: »
    I agree with the point you are making entirely, but I dont think that young actress who was fired from the colour purple has issued an apology of any sort.
    https://twitter.com/seyiomooba?lang=en
    Her father btw Adegboyega Omooba has an MBE despite being a very anti LGBT pastor.

Ah, that is very strange.

It seems very odd she'd take on a part in a play that was very lgbt friendly, I mean, her part is that of a gay/ bisexual woman. It's pretty ridiculous to be homophobic and accept that part in a play.

I suppose I was more about how these women said words that were hurtful. And while words hurt, actions (such as sexual assault) hurt far more.

Yet Al is the 'victim' here. And that so many in his inner circle can't see that he's completely unrepentant in his actions... I mean, he's been doing this for over 10 + years, by his own admission. That's less a 'trying to get better' and more 'already too far gone'.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

he's supposed to be a great ride

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

Surely that's inflation when you're dealing with an orifice designed for excretion yet being used for perforation any league of Ireland player would be leo messi level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

No one is stopping him having a second chance but you don't go straight back in where you left off. If he wanted he could start his stand up back up and see if he sells tickets. If he has a big enough audience then he can do some bits for a tv show or independent radio. If that works then he can work his way up.

The article is pointless and shows why some celebrities just expect a living. In some ways it would be similar to Michael Barrymore just to expect to be given a prime time tv show. A lot of people thought he would have a second chance after his appearance in celebrity big brother where he did show his talent. But people who have dropped out of the limelight, especially in spurious circumstances have to work there way up again. The public decide if they deserve it. Some will immediately switch over or turn off because of what they did but if they are talented enough history shows that people will forget.

However, the public are fickle and rarely a celebrity will return. John Leslie and Angus Dayton are good examples. It seems easier in the US to come back with Robert Downey Junior and Winona Ryder coming to mind.

joeguevara wrote: »
    No one is stopping him having a second chance but you don't go straight back in where you left off. If he wanted he could start his stand up back up and see if he sells tickets. If he has a big enough audience then he can do some bits for a tv show or independent radio. If that works then he can work his way up.

The article is pointless and shows why some celebrities just expect a living. In some ways it would be similar to Michael Barrymore just to expect to be given a prime time tv show. A lot of people thought he would have a second chance after his appearance in celebrity big brother where he did show his talent. But people who have dropped out of the limelight, especially in spurious circumstances have to work there way up again. The public decide if they deserve it. Some will immediately switch over or turn off because of what they did but if they are talented enough history shows that people will forget.

However, the public are fickle and rarely a celebrity will return. John Leslie and Angus Dayton are good examples. It seems easier in the US to come back with Robert Downey Junior and Winona Ryder coming to mind.

The problem is...he's not addressed the allegations. He's very similar to Barrymore in that sense. Barrymore tried to claim conspiracy theories, and false claims that the evidence contradicted. Couple that with the drug use, and fleeing the scene on the night in question...oh, and a dead body in his pool that was sodomised either before or after his death, and the chance of a comeback was scant. That and the victim's father refused to let his name be left out of the media.

Angus Deayton was quick to make light of his penchant for prostitutes, but he still had supporters, his audience still supported him, and many folks refused to appear on HIGNFY once he was fired.
    Couple that with him still working, and he's still making an income. (Even Hugh Grant made a recovery after being caught with a prostitute.) RDJ and Ryder had friends in high places who believed in em, and took the gamble-others were not as lucky. Even in the states.

Now...John Leslie...there's a guy who I feel pity for. Gets accused of possibly the most heinous crime outside of murder and paedophilia, and the woman who had a book to sell could have just come forward and said 'no, it wasn't him'... Instead, she sold more books (the title being the ironic 'Honest') and let spurious allegations go unchallenged.
    He was dropped, fired, and tossed aside by so many...only for the allegations to be proven false (in relation to him, not that Jonsson wasn't raped). His then girlfriend 'stood by him' until she got a few handy presenting gigs...and was fired after two sex tapes leaked starring her, Leslie, and another woman.

His career was over, all based on a false allegation that was proven false. The tapes finished him. She branched out into lads mags and the likes of Babestation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That cancel culture piece is utter claptrap

Ooooh Vicar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No one is waiting on his mediocre work.he has zero artistic merit.let him become an officer worker so we can forget about him.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »
    No one is waiting on his mediocre work.he has zero artistic merit.let him become an officer worker so we can forget about him.
    Would his colleagues or visitors to his office be safe from his "flamboyant personality" though? He doesn't appear to have learned anything from this experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement