Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

1434445464749»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Would his colleagues or visitors to his office be safe from his "flamboyant personality" though? He doesn't appear to have learned anything from this experience.
    Probably safe enough in an open plan office but I wouldnt take a fig roll off him at break time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

He doesn't appear to have learned anything from this experience.

Ah,I'd say he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

smurgen wrote: »
    No one is waiting on his mediocre work.he has zero artistic merit.let him become an officer worker so we can forget about him.

I never liked his style and always found him irritating but I don't think he or anyone else ever considered him to have artistic merit. 99% of celebrities have artistic merit nor do they claim to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

I don’t get why people are commenting about his talent or lack thereof.

I have accepted that there’s people on television who I enjoy watching and those who I don’t - even the people I really can’t stand, I understand that life isn’t fair and sometimes talented people get passed over for less or untalented people.

However, this is nothing related to the behaviour Al has been accused of and his subsequent reaction to these accusations. Anyone who focuses on whether they like him or not seems to be basically saying if he was more to their taste, they would welcome him back on television. Personally speaking, this seems a problematic position.

It does seem to me that because the accusations were from males, a certain part of the public are less likely to judge this as ‘serious’ - I’ve seen a reaction of ‘why didn’t the guys just throw him a few digs to sort him out?’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, people really need to separate how good of a presenter/comedian he is from his actions here. I mean, if he was actually funny/talented you'd be welcoming him back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

He refuses to separate his act from his actions himself.

His "apology" suggested that touching up people was part of a flamboyant stage persona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He refuses to separate his act from his actions himself.

His "apology" suggested that touching up people was part of a flamboyant stage persona.

I’d say he himself mistook being what he terms flamboyant for he himself having a personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say he himself mistook being what he terms flamboyant for he himself having a personality.

It’s almost as if he saw a few “Carry on” movies and mistook them for documentaries on how to behave in life

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

humberklog wrote: »
    A TransPorter, so to speak?

I spat my tea out and destroyed my new polo shirt thanks for that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

...He doesn't appear to have learned anything from this experience.

there was an article posted before here stating that he has never apologised to the people he targeted.

This reminded me of the time he said he was accused of sexual harassment in school. He claimed that his accusers ended up apologising to him! You'd have to question his version of events in hindsight.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/al-porter-accused-secondary-school-11591931

Judging by this article, he probably thinks he's the one owed an apology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Legend_DIT wrote: »
    It does seem to me that because the accusations were from males, a certain part of the public are less likely to judge this as ‘serious’ - I’ve seen a reaction of ‘why didn’t the guys just throw him a few digs to sort him out?’

I'm not one to advocate physical violence but perhaps a few hard digs from the people he groped might've done him the world of good. I'm sure quite a few of them wish they had given him a slap but when you're sexually assaulted like this, you're too busy trying to figure out "WTF just happened"? to even get to that stage. He is now in the trouble he's in because his behaviour was allowed to go unchecked for years.

Arguably, his case isn't being helped by him being a gay man whose "comedy" routines were full of smut and innuendo anyway. It falls into all the clichés that most gay men wish would go away. The camp predator who can't keep his hands to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I'm bloody sick and tired of people using supposed mental health issues as an excuse for their bad behavior. Frankly i don't believe him about his suicide attempt, he's just using the old mental illness card to gain sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I'm bloody sick and tired of people using supposed mental health issues as an excuse for their bad behavior. Frankly i don't believe him about his suicide attempt, he's just using the old mental illness card to gain sympathy.

Completely agree about mental health being used as an excuse. 18.5% of the Irish population suffer from mental health issues https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-has-one-of-the-highest-rates-of-mental-health-illness-in-europe-report-finds-1.3707073 but the correlation between that and people who commit crimes doesn't stack up. Also when it is claimed disingenuously it makes real cases seem less important. Of course people commit acts where mental health is a root cause and those people deserve appropriate care. But someone who puts responsibility of their actions on a flimsy profession of an illness they never mentioned before is crass. Similar to career criminals who blame their 300 convictions on a broken home instead of the fact they are thieves.

But if someone says they had attempted suicide, I wouldn't dismiss it. If it turned out to be untrue I would consider it despicable but on the off chance that it was true I could never forgive myself if my dismissal caused a reoccurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I see the latest post on his Twitter is a retweet of tiger woods victory in the masters.

I wonder does Al see himself as the “tiger woods of Dublin comedy”?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I see the latest post on his Twitter is a retweet of tiger woods victory in the masters.

The Comeback Kid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Hopefully he will be back on the telly soon great comedian.
    Unfairly treated People reputation can be destroyed even though not charge with any criminal offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think the question about you being a troll on the do you enjoy being single thread has unequivocally been answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'm not one to advocate physical violence but perhaps a few hard digs from the people he groped might've done him the world of good. I'm sure quite a few of them wish they had given him a slap but when you're sexually assaulted like this, you're too busy trying to figure out "WTF just happened"? to even get to that stage. He is now in the trouble he's in because his behaviour was allowed to go unchecked for years.

Arguably, his case isn't being helped by him being a gay man whose "comedy" routines were full of smut and innuendo anyway. It falls into all the clichés that most gay men wish would go away. The camp predator who can't keep his hands to himself.

Yeah...that 'why didn't they fight back' mentality doesn't work, no matter the victim's gender.

They probably knew Al, they may very well have been laughed at, and thus it's another way folks bottle stuff up. But another thing is...he could very easily spin it against them.
    Like, he's openly gay, and could easily spin it as 'Al Porter victim of homophobic attack'...then talk about his depression, and how he became isolated due to the attack. Or he could claim it was jealousy due to his high profile.

Suddenly those comics he groped aren't invited to comedy clubs, and lose high profile gigs. Cos Al spun it in his favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Maybe he can do a few library readings for the kids with Glitter Hole.

I’ll just leave this here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=109933350&postcount=36

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Folks, I'm closing this for the time being until I can clarify if this can be left open pending a possible court case.

Thanks in advance and I'll hopefully be able to update you all shortly.

Buford T. Justice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement