Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think its nearly too common to be considered serious sexual assault. Its really common at clubs for that to happen to women ,most of me female friends say it happens a lot and they just kind of dont care. Women on hen parties you'll see always slapping mens bums and pinching them, they usually seem to laugh it off
    When I go to gay clubs men slap each others asses a lot too. I just take it as a bit of a laugh..maybe Im very thick skinned but it doesn't really bother me. Its not like you have to get with them..and if they persist just say **** off and they will
    Just from how common it is and the fact that it doesn't seem to a affect people that much it doesn't seem like serious sexual assault

Slapping an arse is one thing, actually putting your hands under someone's clothing to touch their genitals IS sexual assault. It can never be excused.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think its nearly too common to be considered serious sexual assault. Its really common at clubs for that to happen to women ,most of me female friends say it happens a lot and they just kind of dont care. Women on hen parties you'll see always slapping mens bums and pinching them, they usually seem to laugh it off
    When I go to gay clubs men slap each others asses a lot too. I just take it as a bit of a laugh..maybe Im very thick skinned but it doesn't really bother me. Its not like you have to get with them..and if they persist just say **** off and they will
    Just from how common it is and the fact that it doesn't seem to a affect people that much it doesn't seem like serious sexual assault

He had his hands inside the underwear - thats not a slap or a pinch on the ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Wasn't the alleged "victim" a grown man in his 30s or something? Why didn't he just tell Al to f*ck off and get on with his life instead of whining all over twitter or whatever he's doing. "Man up", as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Wasn't the alleged "victim" a grown man in his 30s or something? Why didn't he just tell Al to f*ck off and get on with his life instead of whining all over twitter or whatever he's doing. "Man up", as they say.

Would you cop on. If a woman was grabbed by the crotch it would mean jail time for sexual assault. This rubbish of men not being victims too is infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You cant be going around and putting your hand down people's trousers ffs. Am sure Porter laughed it off and said only some craic when pushed away. You know yourself.

Surprised he didn't get a punch for it.

We all know what would have happened if he did get a slap for his troubles. The media would have focused on that attack and his behavior would have been brushed off. Hope this is the beginning of the end of this character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Sparko

TV3 were due to show Blind Date at 7, showing The Cube now instead.

Would you cop on. If a woman was grabbed by the crotch it would mean jail time for sexual assault. This rubbish of men not being victims too is infuriating.

It's completely different in my opinion. I would have just Al where to go and hit him a box probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I may be basing my opinion on television/film, but would be right in saying that the gay scene is a lot more "sexually charged" than a regular pub/night environment. It just seems to me that those of that sexual orientation drink a lot more/party a lot more frequently than their counterparts, and that one night stands/clandestine hook-ups are lot more common-place. Probably an after-shoot of when homosexuality was illegal and they were treated very much as second-class citizens

So I suppose then, I am not that surprised that a nationally famous young gay man has been allegedly caught

It's completely different in my opinion. I would have just Al where to go and hit him a box probably.

Completely different in what way exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A person being grabbed by the genitalia is sexual assault. Gender doesnt come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sparko wrote: »

Excellent! Thats summat to watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

It is in some way relevant. The vulnerability of someone goes towards their victimisation. For example, a 4 year old tantrum throwing child cannot realistically assault me. If your two options are to a) be an assault victim or b) make the groper an assault victim. I’d go for b).

Sparko wrote: »

Good stuff, you can't beat a bit of Phillip S. Top fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Why the box? Many years ago as a chungfella a drunken workmate grabbed my dick, first time I batted his hand away and laughed at it to stop any embarrassment, When he tried again I grabbed his wrist, just enough to hurt him and told him not to do it again or we would have an issue. End of matter without having to give him a box and shining a bad light on myself.

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    It is in some way relevant. The vulnerability of someone goes towards their victimisation. For example, a 4 year old tantrum throwing child cannot realistically assault me. If your two options are to a) be an assault victim or b) make the groper an assault victim. I’d go for b).

And get yourself up on charges :)

Very clever

• Advertisement

I may be basing my opinion on television/film, but would be right in saying that the gay scene is a lot more "sexually charged" than a regular pub/night environment. It just seems to me that those of that sexual orientation drink a lot more/party a lot more frequently than their counterparts, and that one night stands/clandestine hook-ups are lot more common-place. Probably an after-shoot of when homosexuality was illegal and they were treated very much as second-class citizens

So I suppose then, I am not that surprised that a nationally famous young gay man has been allegedly caught

None of the incidents seem to have happened on the "gay scene" or in the proverbial gay bar, for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

What television/film do you be watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I’m sorry I can’t take this serious. Some gay lad drops the hand on me and he gets dropped. Alleging sexual assault would be the last thing I’d do.
    Grab the Cnut by the throat and make him regret it. His word against mine. No scars. Look I’m not a hard man but I would defend myself if physically touched.

Are you really such a nancy boy princess that some gay lad would have the courage to approach you? I'd deck any of the cnuts who even dared to be in the same room as me, and I'd knock em out too I promise because I spent 4 in the Joy for bottling Mary Robinson at a maternity ward. Shades were too scared to arrest me, but I went voluntarily because I was trying to get away from my children. Different mothers too.

Why the box? Many years ago as a chungfella a drunken workmate grabbed my dick, first time I batted his hand away and laughed at it to stop any embarrassment, When he tried again I grabbed his wrist, just enough to hurt him and told him not to do it again or we would have an issue. End of matter without having to give him a box and shining a bad light on myself.

This is how a capable man deals with such conflicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A rough looking broad arsed 50 plus year old sexually assaulted me in Tipp town when I was 19 .Stuck her hand down my drawers and felt my equipment.

It really upset me at the time but I got over it

• Advertisement

On second thoughts I'd prob just let him jerk me off then pretend it never happened

pjohnson wrote: »
    And get yourself up on charges :)

Very clever

So what. Don’t touch me dick.

munster87 wrote: »

I thought it was about Hells Angels....
    a601b03966d696ed7cd8c718809dfbe6.jpg

On second thoughts I'd prob just let him jerk me off then pretend it never happened

Standard office party approach then.

So what. Don’t touch me dick.

I thought evolution had removed cavemen from the gene pool.

You think self defence is cave man? The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

munster87 wrote: »

Put this way. Virtually any scene in film or on telly that depicts a gay man on a night out, shows a full night club with everyone having a whale of a time.

More shifting/inappropriate grinding going on than a nurse's christmas party bumping into a stag do in Coppers.

Put this way. Virtually any scene in film or on telly that depicts a gay man on a night out, shows a full night club with everyone having a whale of a time.

More shifting/inappropriate grinding going on than a nurse's christmas party bumping into a stag do in Coppers.

You must watch a lot of gay stuff the only scene I can think of is when Vito Spatafore was caught dancing around in a gay club in leather gear in the Sopranos

There's exaggeration and then there's the scientifically impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

368100 wrote: »
    Im not surprised.....he comes across a bit rapey with some of the lads on blind date. Maybe trying to play up to stereotype for comic effect but this puts a differentry colour on it

I often wondered what that word 'rapey' is supposed to mean. Maybe you can explain it to me since you're using it.

Tbh I find out an awful word creation. I find it baffling how people use it so lightly. Since rape is such a strong word.
    Someone either rapes or he does not, but how can someone be rapey? Or a bit rapey even.
    I have no particular love for Al Porter, but it's a sneaky accusation where the accuser when confronted about it can say 'ah I never said he raped someone'. It's a terrible word to use on anyone. It's really low imo.

People should have little bit of a think before they come out with a word like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

If the reports are true, i'm really shocked people are trying to defend him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Thats not directed at me I hope. And if we don't know if reports are true how could you be shocked then? You're effectively saying we don't know if an accusation is true but there better be only comments assuming it is. Thats a pretty awful thing to say don't you think?

You think self defence is cave man? The mind boggles.

Encountering a problem and deciding the only solution possible is PUNCH.

Thereby getting yourself fined and charged while the person who grabbed your c*ck has a great laugh at you.

Encountering a problem and deciding the only solution possible is PUNCH.

Thereby getting yourself fined and charged while the person who grabbed your c*ck has a great laugh at you.

Punch, push, deck. Lots of ways. You would actually do nothing? Ask them to stop nicely is it? So submissive.

Edit: let me emphasise that this particular problem is one of physical sexual assault. If you can defend yourself (lots cant) then you should in my view.

Every Weinstein and Spacey article had comments enabled on the Journal but the Al Porter articles don't. Why is that do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Al is taking personal time off from Today FM.May as well just pack up his stuff now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Berserker wrote: »
    Good stuff, you can't beat a bit of Phillip S. Top fella.

Until next week when something comes out about him.

[/b]

Until next week when something comes out about him.

Dont you fcuking dare

i-have-a-special-set-of-skills-i-will-find-you.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

yabadabado wrote: »
    Al is taking personal time off from Today FM.May as well just pack up his stuff now.

Expect a parting of the ways by "mutual agreement" in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well, thats his career over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭munster87

Who's the caveman. The guy punching or the guy grabbing genitalia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

NIMAN wrote: »

"Merry Christmas one and all" !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I am not a fan of Al Porter but in the current climate if somebody makes an allegation like this it seems it is presumed to be true. That's not right as a person's career and reputation can be destroyed by one person with an agenda. That whole Louis Walsh allegation was found to be entirely false. At least in that case the person making it was jailed.

But in this case because there are a number of people making similar allegations it does tend to be more credible but nothing has yet been proved or admitted.

What's been alleged though is a criminal offence and they are prosecuted so I wonder if the victims have reported them to Gardai. Last year there was a high profile case where Alan Fitzsimons (OTT boyband and Voice of Ireland) was convicted of groping a work colleagues genitals at a Party and he lost his job over it also. So these things are taken seriously enough.

NIMAN wrote: »

No loss.

Every Weinstein and Spacey article had comments enabled on the Journal but the Al Porter articles don't. Why is that do you think?

Odd ,isnt it .
    Cant wait to hear Matt Cooper show Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Celebrities who've managed to keep their sexual scandals under wraps must be shítting bricks these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He looks like small little fella, I can't understand how he didn't get his head kicked in if he was allegedly going around grabbing men's balls.

This story may end up in the courts here whilst the others won't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Conor84 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of Al Porter but in the current climate if somebody makes an allegation like this it seems it is presumed to be true. That's not right as a person's career and reputation can be destroyed by one person with an agenda. That whole Louis Walsh allegation was found to be entirely false. At least in that case the person making it was jailed.

But in this case because there are a number of people making similar allegations it does tend to be more credible but nothing has yet been proved or admitted.

What's been alleged though is a criminal offence and they are prosecuted so I wonder if the victims have reported them to Gardai. Last year there was a high profile case where Alan Fitzsimons (OTT boyband and Voice of Ireland) was convicted of groping a work colleagues genitals at a Party and he lost his job over it also. So these things are taken seriously enough.

His lack of a statement speaks volumes imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

eviltwin wrote: »
    His lack of a statement speaks volumes imo

I imagine he would be taking legal advice before saying anything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement