Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kyng Shaggy Strap

eviltwin wrote: »
    His lack of a statement speaks volumes imo

And ‘personal time’ away from his show now -

yabadabado wrote: »
    Odd ,isnt it .
    Cant wait to hear Matt Cooper show Monday!

The way coops is going he’ll claim it’s homophobia....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The Times names him but the Indo rag has a piece about it but to scared to name him.
    But if was a WSM they would have it as the top headline

Sensationalist indo don't name him cos he's one of their own. He's done exclusive interviews, did a 10 week fitness thing and wrote about it each week, and is constantly in their various rags.

Now, if he had done above for Irish times his name would have been plastered across the entire indo group of sensationalist hysterical rags.

And remember, Today Fm and indo are owned by same person

Give him a few months/years away - he’ll come out with a book , doing the late late in the sad story spot , crying saying he Was depressed/alcohol issues /dealing with being gay and he’ll weasel his way back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I find him annoying but I don't agree with those hoping he will kill himself as a result of this, that's not right, and if he does kill himself it will be regrettable.

Your the only one bringing suicide into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The way coops is going he’ll claim it’s homophobia....

Is coops a thing now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've heard people predicting his suicide with glee, not nice at all.

Yes. You earlier in the thread. Remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Give him a few months/years away - he’ll come out with a book , doing the late late in the sad story spot , crying saying he Was depressed/alcohol issues /dealing with being gay and he’ll weasel his way back

Nah not with some of what has been alleged online. More to come out as well. In one word...
    Gealtacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

As a matter of interest, I wonder how he covered the weinstein #metoo stuff on his radio show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Blind date should be on tv3 now but instead the cube is on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Trebor176 wrote: »

“You’ve lovely hair,” says dapper-besuited Al Porter.

“Thank you,” says the bleached-blond waiter.

“Where are you from originally?” asks Porter.

“Croatia,” says the waiter.

“Lovely part of the world,” says Porter. “Are all the boys so handsome in Croatia?”

The waiter smiles and heads for the kitchen. “And that’s just some good old-fashioned flirting,” chuckles Porter, turning to me as though he’s been doing a demonstration. “I say that I’m a feminist because I make men feel how they made women feel for hundreds of years. That’s my aim as a feminist hero.”

At least we know it's his feminist leanings that lead him to be lecherous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

innocent till proven guilty.......

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Sparko wrote: »
    TV3 were due to show Blind Date at 7, showing The Cube now instead.

Noooooo!!! I was on it tonight,could have been my big break,

I'm the real victim here #metoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Christ on a unicycle, this sh*t is serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Does he really base his act on a decade he wasn't even alive in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

It finished it's run last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jaysus. I never thought a thread could make me feel SORRY for the hack Al Porter, but there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I'm no fan of the accused here at all but I am shocked to read the allegations. If true absolutely disgusting to do that to anyone and if false equally disgusting to do that to anyone. I'll reserve judgement until/ unless it's proven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Does he really base his act on a decade he wasn't even alive in?

Pretty much. Likes to throw in a few gags about the black and tans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Every Weinstein and Spacey article had comments enabled on the Journal but the Al Porter articles don't. Why is that do you think?

The journal don't allow comments on national legal cases. Ongoing international story aren't going to get liable cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Put this way. Virtually any scene in film or on telly that depicts a gay man on a night out, shows a full night club with everyone having a whale of a time.

More shifting/inappropriate grinding going on than a nurse's christmas party bumping into a stag do in Coppers.

It’s possible Al imagined he could turn any situation into a scene from FGTH video for Relax .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

so the allegation is that he tried to put his hands down a couple of guys trousers... So if this was me in that situation, I would have given him a slap and told what to do with himself, but instead this guys ran off and tweeted about it.... tells me more about those guys than Al.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It finished it's run last week

Is tonight not a repeat of the Sunday night episode?

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    It’s possible Al imagined he could turn any situation into a scene from FGTH video for Relax .

He probably turned into two tribes without realising

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

AllForIt wrote: »
    What was the joke? Did she say?

What's the difference between a White Russian and a Black Russian?
    About 6 inches and a few more smoother moves on the dance floor.

He probably turned into two tribes without realising

That could easily happen. Those 2 tunes were no1. and no.2 in the charts at one stage in 1984. Great days indeed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

If only some one could get rid of that self important egotistical obnoxious kelly wan off newstalk i could listen to it again

great to see al porter gone though f me he was obnoxious and overbearing even if the allegations are bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    so the allegation is that he tried to put his hands down a couple of guys trousers... So if this was me in that situation, I would have given him a slap and told what to do with himself, but instead this guys ran off and tweeted about it.... tells me more about those guys than Al.....

yea, what the lad(s?) did was far worse than what Porter did...
    Alan is the victim here

• Advertisement

If it was a straight guy forcing his hand into a girls knickers and grabbing and squeezing her vagina would you say the same?
    Nobody has any ****ing business grabbing anyone else’s body like that.
    Yes he should have got a good dig in the balls when he did it but it’s also in the national interest that listeners and viewers know that Al is the kinda guy that likes to grab other guys by the dick and squuuuueeeeze.

splinter65 wrote: »
    That could easily happen. Those 2 tunes were no1. and no.2 in the charts at one stage in 1984. Great days indeed.

Music peaked in 1984.

Its been downhill ever since culminating in Al Porter find fame in the "entertainment" industry.

Mod note:NO!

Buford T. Justice.

yea, what the lad(s?) did was far worse than what Porter did...
    Alan is the victim here

nothing has been proven.....Yet because people on this forum do not like him, he is guilty as sin..........I thought we lived in a world where it is innocent until proven guilty... It is getting to the stage in this world that if you seem to look at someone funnily then you will be sent to jail, the world is gone PC mad.......

Music peaked in 1984.

Its been downhill ever since culminating in Al Porter find fame in the "entertainment" industry.

My daughter shakes her head sadly and says her mam is trapped forever in 1984.
    But it’s nice here, ya know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

nothing has been proven.....Yet because people on this forum do not like him, he is guilty as sin..........I thought we lived in a world where it is innocent until proven guilty... It is getting to the stage in this world that if you seem to look at someone funnily then you will be sent to jail, the world is gone PC mad.......

The fact he is now off TV and radio speaks volumes about his guilt. Why are you trying to defend him?

Mod note:Again I will stress, currently all that has happened are allegations being made, judgements about guilt or innocence are not wanted nor needed here

If it was untrue he would have made a statement unequivocally denying all the allegations made against him, and frankly, if I were him, I’d being seeing a solicitor about a defamation claim.
    But he hadn’t said anything.
    A small announcement this evening that he has decided to take time out from his radio commitments.
    Expect a statement next week about how he is going into treatment etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

i think being aghast at having some chap shoving his hands down your keks wouldnt be considered "PCmad"

irrespective of whether they're proven or not, you suggested what the victims did was worse than what Ported did?

"So if this was me in that situation, I would have given him a slap and told what to do with himself, but instead this guys ran off and tweeted about it.... tells me more about those guys than Al...."
    Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Some idiotic comments in here. It's obvious he's guilty. More to come out as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Like most right thinking people I can't stand the guy. He's stealing a living on radio and TV.

But you'd have to question the motives of the alleged 'victims' only now revealing the details of these alleged assaults, which took place more than 4 years ago, allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note:
    Just a quick reminder, these allegations are just that, allegations, atm.

They may be proven at a later date or dismissed as false but it isn't within our power to decide which they are.

You only have to look at the allegations about Louis Walsh a few years ago which were totally false and damaging to his reputation and career.

So lets stick with ALLEGATIONS atm, shall we?

Buford.
    Trond wrote: »
    Some idiotic comments in here. It's obvious he's guilty. More to come out as well...
    As I said before, stick to allegations as NOTHING has been proven. Now please take a break from this thread.

Buford T. Justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

No, we live in a world where someone is guilty if people think they are, people want to spread lies and rumours about people and people want to believe them because the truth is usually about as exciting as a rainy Tuesday afternoon in Athlone.

That said, thank god the legal system still operates as thus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Like most right thinking people I can't stand the guy. He's stealing a living on radio and TV.

But you'd have to question the motives of the alleged 'victims' only now revealing the details of these alleged assaults, which took place more than 4 years ago, allegedly.

Well they probably didn't think that much of it, but when you see some gobsh*te who tried to grab your dick lording around the TV channels it's probably even more annoying than he is to the rest of us, so they probably feel more inclined to out him as a sex pest, or whatever the term is for nearly every famous male nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I was out one night very late in Lilies (I know) and he came in (with Ryan tubridy ) after being on the Late Late. They sat over at a table with a few people.

There was a great guy on the the piano playing and singing...great songs...summer in Dublin et all ...our group were all gathered round singing and joining in. Al came over and stood round the piano and did a couple of songs. He's quite a good singer He came across as an ok guy and was polite to everyone. We thought he looked like a waxwork(obviously stage make up for Late Late) there's no way I would have thought he was anything early twenties. This was a year or so ago.

He must have been very young then when all this went on?

He's not very funny and a bit crude so I don't get get his appeal st all.

Clearly a very troubled character. Has become a caricature of something that he probably does not even know himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Well they probably didn't think that much of it, but when you see some gobsh*te who tried to grab your dick lording around the TV channels it's probably even more annoying than he is to the rest of us, so they probably feel more inclined to out him as a sex pest, or whatever the term is for nearly every famous male nowadays.

Well yeah, that's what I'm getting at. No getting away from him being a complete twonk, but it could be seen as spiteful on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just out of interest has anyone here had any personal dealings with him? Do the stories seem to ring true?

I saw him in a fairly trendy city centre bar a while back. I just remember he was at the bar wearing a sort of arthur Daley camel (?) overcoat and I thought it was a fairly old fashioned looking coat for a guy in his mid 20s to wear. That's the sum total of my interaction with him lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm thinking you are 100% correct... His accuser is probably earning 50 quid a night in the international and watching yer man groom himself to be the next tubridy

I'm thinking you are 100% correct... His accuser is probably earning 50 quid a night in the international and watching yer man groom himself to be the next tubridy

There are 4 different accusers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Never found him funny. Am I allowed say that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

Well yeah, that's what I'm getting at. No getting away from him being a complete twonk, but it could be seen as spiteful on their part.

By that logic all the women who are coming out saying that Weinstein abused them are spiteful? By that logic all the victims of child abuse are driven by spite. Is spite only the motive when sexual assault is carried out by a young male homosexual comedian on fellow adult males? Because when people report abuse by priests or old white men who fit the narrative they are called brave and heroic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement