Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

Just out of interest has anyone here had any personal dealings with him? Do the stories seem to ring true?

I saw him in a fairly trendy city centre bar a while back. I just remember he was at the bar wearing a sort of arthur Daley camel (?) overcoat and I thought it was a fairly old fashioned looking coat for a guy in his mid 20s to wear. That's the sum total of my interaction with him lol

Had a friend who was in the same course in Trinity as him, my friend said he was openly gay and an outrageous flirt and very handsy, but would laugh it off with an, "it's ok, I'm gay darling, and laugh. Allegedly of course as I wasn't there.
    I'm not surprised with these allegations personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I saw him once in the international. He's definitely a pro. There were proper funny comedians there that night but Porter obviously has years of Billy Barry experience and had control of the whole room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Ballstein wrote: »
    By that logic all the women who are coming out saying that Weinstein abused them are spiteful? By that logic all the victims of child abuse are driven by spite. Is spite only the motive when sexual assault is carried out by a young male homosexual comedian on fellow adult males? Because when people report abuse by priests or old white men who fit the narrative they are called brave and heroic.

Yeah but all of those things are totally different to some idiot trying to grab at another fully grown man's crotch. Well in my opinion they are anyway, I don't think I'd be bothered that much if it happened me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Who's Al Porter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Who's Al Porter?

The Blind Date on TV3 host

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Strazdas wrote: »
    The Blind Date on TV3 host

i think he/she means who cares who al porter is

Conor84 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of Al Porter but in the current climate if somebody makes an allegation like this it seems it is presumed to be true. That's not right as a person's career and reputation can be destroyed by one person with an agenda. That whole Louis Walsh allegation was found to be entirely false. At least in that case the person making it was jailed.

But in this case because there are a number of people making similar allegations it does tend to be more credible but nothing has yet been proved or admitted.

What's been alleged though is a criminal offence and they are prosecuted so I wonder if the victims have reported them to Gardai. Last year there was a high profile case where Alan Fitzsimons (OTT boyband and Voice of Ireland) was convicted of groping a work colleagues genitals at a Party and he lost his job over it also. So these things are taken seriously enough.

Yes, we're definitely heading into 'sexual assault' territory with these allegations. Imagine if a man was accused of putting his hands down a woman's underwear and groping her : nearly everyone would assume that was a criminal matter, not just a mildly inappropriate incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Who's Al Porter?

He’s a jazz singer from Louisiana.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

Yeah but all of those things are totally different to some idiot trying to grab at another fully grown man's crotch. Well in my opinion they are anyway, I don't think I'd be bothered that much if it happened me.

The fella who ran the Gate theatre got flayed cause he TOLD a woman she looked well. Trump is still being hounded because he TALKED ABOUT grabbing a woman by the pussy. Porter went into the jacks and stuck his hand down a fellas pants grabbing his junk, yet he’s “only messing” sure “he’s great craic”.
    The problem with setting off a mob to lynch someone is that sometimes the mob lynch people who you don’t want lynched. Old white men like Hook can’t even say a word that doesn’t fit the current narrative without the mob demanding his removal, yet one of the most respected newspapers in the world run a front page headline with 4 independent allegations and all of a sudden certain people are saying there’s no proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

By that logic all the women who are coming out saying that Weinstein abused them are spiteful? By that logic all the victims of child abuse are driven by spite. Is spite only the motive when sexual assault is carried out by a young male homosexual comedian on fellow adult males? Because when people report abuse by priests or old white men who fit the narrative they are called brave and heroic.

I see you in a purple robe for some reason. Give over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

The fella who ran the Gate theatre got flayed cause he TOLD a woman she looked well.

He hit, screamed at and bullied staff as well as making sexually lewd comments but yeah let's pretend he just told someone she looked well. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

He hit, screamed at and bullied staff as well as making sexually lewd comments but yeah let's pretend he just told someone she looked well. FFS.

Well its better than getting your sex stick squeezed by some lad isn't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The fella who ran the Gate theatre got flayed cause he TOLD a woman she looked well. Trump is still being hounded because he TALKED ABOUT grabbing a woman by the pussy. Porter went into the jacks and stuck his hand down a fellas pants grabbing his junk, yet he’s “only messing” sure “he’s great craic”.
    The problem with setting off a mob to lynch someone is that sometimes the mob lynch people who you don’t want lynched. Old white men like Hook can’t even say a word that doesn’t fit the current narrative without the mob demanding his removal, yet one of the most respected newspapers in the world run a front page headline with 4 independent allegations and all of a sudden certain people are saying there’s no proof.

But there is nothing proven. But that's not what I'm on about. I'm sure it would be traumatic to have a man suddenly and unwanted, with the deftness and swiftness of a ninja, insert his hand into your jocks.

My unsophisticated brain is wondering why it wasn't sorted out 'sur le champ'. Yer man was 19, a small time comedian on a small scene, the others in their late 20s.

In the cases you mentioned in a previous post the alleged assaulter held position of considerable power over the victim, which they abused. I don't see that dynamic in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I'm all for equality and I have no time for Al Porter but I think there is a difference between Hollywood heavyweight Harvey Weinstein groping vulnerable young female actresses and Dublin lightweight Al Porter being overly frisky with (I'm assuming) able bodied heterosexual men.

He should be told to cop fair enough, but id say this is the end of his career, and I for one am not ok with that, although it will mean I won't have to change stations when he comes on every afternoon

Why not report it after it happens if you are that way inclined? Instead of jumping on the #metoo bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mankelland

Isn't that the problem though? That as an "able bodied heterosexual young man" you ought to be "hard" and "tough" and that sexual assault can't apply to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The fella who ran the Gate theatre got flayed cause he TOLD a woman she looked well. Trump is still being hounded because he TALKED ABOUT grabbing a woman by the pussy.

Colgan hit a woman on the buttocks so hard he left a mark, in public, and was touching others, not to mention all the bullying. Trump has a dozen or so allegations of physical abuse against him.
    Read up before you rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Didn't porter stick his crotch in a fellas face on blind date?

Mankelland wrote: »
    Isn't that the problem though? That as an "able bodied heterosexual young man" you ought to be "hard" and "tough" and that sexual assault can't apply to you?

Well if you get "hard" if Al Porter drops the hand on you, chances are you aren't a heterosexual man :D

Joking aside, you don't have to be that tough to tell him to **** off, and if he persists then take it further, either by physical force or call the guards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

But there is nothing proven. But that's not what I'm on about. I'm sure it would be traumatic to have a man suddenly and unwanted, with the deftness and swiftness of a ninja, insert his hand into your jocks.

My unsophisticated brain is wondering why it wasn't sorted out 'sur le champ'. Yer man was 19, a small time comedian on a small scene, the others in their late 20s.

In the cases you mentioned in a previous post the alleged assaulter held position of considerable power over the victim, which they abused. I don't see that dynamic in this instance.

Can you point me in the direction of the court conviction of Harvey Weinstein? If the fella in the toilets happened to be a 6’2” hard bastard who Porter grabbed and said fella knocked the bollocks out of Porter, what do you think a judge would say? Porter would play the innocent card and the victim would be labelled a homophonic thug.

People glossing over that this is deeply unpleasant behaviour (if proven to be true). It's not just mildly inappropriate, if someone grabs hold of your genitals, that is a sexual assault. Also, straight men would often be embarrassed and not sure what to do after such an incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I wouldnt have suspected him of that, honestly. Sickening to think he's capable of it.

Still, he's an RTE luvvie, so people will be only too happy to see him fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Wonder if his panto is in jeopardy?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Noveight wrote: »
    Celebrities who've managed to keep their sexual scandals under wraps must be shítting bricks these days.

Id say most of them barely remember most of these sexual assaults
    Very much doubt kevin spacey remembered doing that tbh. Say he did things like that a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

- Repeat of his show got pulled earlier tonight from tv - game over for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mankelland wrote: »

Yeh exactly . Just because a man has a better chance of fighting a person assaulting them than a woman does doesn't mean the pervert should be treated any differently for a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Oh yes it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Ohhhhhh nooooooo it's not...

Oh yes it is....

Great minds think alike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Snowfire wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh nooooooo it's not...

But these are all still allegations. AFAIK there had been even no criminal complaint made.
    We were all up in arms when Bruno Langley lost his Coronation Street role before any conviction let alone charges were made.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

given what happened to George Hook recently for saying something, if there is any truth in this fck him, throw him to the wolves

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Oh yes it is....

This is no ordinary panto...... Its a gaaaaay panto...

Sorry, ill get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

rustynutz wrote: »
    This is no ordinary panto...... Its a gaaaaay panto...

Sorry, ill get my coat

He’s behind you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Kyng Shaggy Strap

AlfaZen wrote: »
    He’s behind you!!

no that's his career

AlfaZen wrote: »
    He’s behind you!!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

WOW. I didn't know Pammy was friends with Julian Assange. What will they think of next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rackstar wrote: »
    Didn't porter stick his crotch in a fellas face on blind date?

I thought that ott campness is his shtick

Any comment from him yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Berserker wrote: »
    This story may end up in the courts here whilst the others won't?

Sorry but that is BS, Pat Hickeys case will be heard in Brazil but comments were closed for all his articles,
    The Journal are really obvious to whom they close comments.

To the people that are crying "innocent until proven guilty
    Trump, Spacey, Harvey, etc haven't been proven guilty or has there been video evidence of their crimes, so why is it ok to go social media judge and jury on them but not Porter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Spacey admitted it and Weinstein was caught on audio tape and has pretty much admitted it, you mad yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I saw him once in the international. He's definitely a pro. There were proper funny comedians there that night but Porter obviously has years of Billy Barry experience and had control of the whole room.

Had he got them by the balls?

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    Spacey admitted it and Weinstein was caught on audio tape and has pretty much admitted it, you mad yoke.

Just because Porter hasn't admitted that makes him innocent.
    Four individuals have the same story regarding what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Just because Porter hasn't admitted that makes him innocent.
    Four individuals have the same story regarding what happened

Cool. I don't have an opinion on whether he did it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Don't know how to feel about this.

It obviously seems like points scored in the eternal online culture wars and it's interesting how violence isn't considered an appropriate response by some posters who I am sure would have no problems with the idea of a dude who stuck his hands into a woman's pants having catching a fist* or are happy enough with jail sentences for "aggressive staring"

But this doesn't seem to have the same power dynamic thing seen in other recent abuse cases particularly since they relate to a few years back when he must have been properly young, it is just different to those cases IMO particularly if no charges or statements made previously.

*Terry crews statement is pretty pertinent about why this response may not be a good idea for the victim but it doesn't change the ethics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I believe his accusers. Why else would they say he's done this to them. His accusers don't seem like they want to make a quick buck off this but to make others aware that this is the sort of behaviour that Al Porter is capable of. I never went out of my way to watch Al Porter or listen to him on radio but there's no smoke without fire as the saying goes. The fact that he's been obviously instructed to go on any kind of leave speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

KKkitty wrote: »
    I believe his accusers. Why else would they say he's done this to them.

unfortunately people have made accusations of such a nature before, which have turned out to be false. reasons are unknown. i don't know whether the allegations against al porter are true or not, and we will find out in time, but people do make allegations that turn out to be false from time to time, for reasons unknown.
    His accusers don't seem like they want to make a quick buck off this but to make others aware that this is the sort of behaviour that Al Porter is capable of.

that could very well be true, we don't know, we will in time know whether it's true or false. however, a number of people who have made allegations which later turned out to be false, have been very convincing.
    I never went out of my way to watch Al Porter or listen to him on radio but there's no smoke without fire as the saying goes.

there's no smoke without fire is not really a valid statement in relation to allegations, as sometimes there very much is smoke without fire. whether this particular case is one of those cases, i don't know.
    The fact that he's been obviously instructed to go on any kind of leave speaks volumes.

not reallly. it is standard procedure these days for people who have had allegations made against them to be taken off air while the allegations are investigated.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Him sending a sexual message to a member of a band that was on his show through Facebook is a big reason why he is on leave from today fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

unfortunately people have made accusations of such a nature before, which have turned out to be false. reasons are unknown. i don't know whether the allegations against al porter are true or not, and we will find out in time, but people do make allegations that turn out to be false from time to time, for reasons unknown.

that could very well be true, we don't know, we will in time know whether it's true or false. however, a number of people who have made allegations which later turned out to be false, have been very convincing.

there's no smoke without fire is not really a valid statement in relation to allegations, as sometimes there very much is smoke without fire. whether this particular case is one of those cases, i don't know.

not reallly. it is standard procedure these days for people who have had allegations made against them to be taken off air while the allegations are investigated.

It’s standard procedure for people who have been accused and who intend to contest the allegations to issue a statement in which they refute these frankly vile allegations and sometimes even instruct their legal advisors re defamation.
    No such statement has been issued.
    Even in a criminal court of law much can be inferred from this silence.
    He isn’t even alleging that his Facebook account was hacked to send the offensive message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If Al Porter has nothing to hide why is his social media presence dead in the water? If you were accused of something like him would you be on everything possible to say the truth? He's been inappropriate in his behaviour. Call a spade a spade FFS.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Even in a criminal court of law much can be inferred from this silence.

No it can't.

You're thinking of silence in the context of questioning by Gardai. No one has to respond to media speculation or Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If Al Porter has nothing to hide why is his social media presence dead in the water? If you were accused of something like him would you be on everything possible to say the truth? He's been inappropriate in his behaviour. Call a spade a spade FFS.

Would it make a difference considering you were straight up 'inclined to believe the accusers'.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement