Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Al Porter Scandal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Well, well, well, who next ? The luvvies of the Left championed by Porter in his media columns and so called “comic” turns are strangely quiet on this issue for a change ? But then it’s not a priest or centrist politician that’s in the spotlight this time. Innocent until proven guilty by all means, but only if you’re a lefty liberal it seems. Puts Porter’s nasty vindictive put downs of Enda Kenny over the years in some perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Whether he's done something that warrants being examined closer or not is one thing. The other thing however is this culture of public witch hunt which seems to be establishing itself. And it is quite a disturbing thing.
    Lets say for a moment all he did was being rather forward in his sexual advances and no more. Which some may find disgusting some may not but hardly a crime. And in any case even if he did something that may be criminal, he is still deemed innocent until proven guilty before a court of law. Did his accusers even go the guards?
    Now twitter and the public lynch mob is effectively judge and jury and even if nothing comes out of it in terms of behaviour that warrants criminal charges, something will stick. Which is a really bad thing. It means you can effectively destroy someone on twitter and everyone jumping at him on forums like this are basically complicit. They are are part of this wilful, easy to manipulate lynch mob. People want to have a think about that.

If you've ever had the misfortune of seeing one of his shows you'd already know he's an absolute scumbag.
    He picks someone out of the crowd (male) and spends the evening threatening to rape him.
    To the amusement of 50 year old woman pissed on white wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Well, well, well, who next ? The luvvies of the Left championed by Porter in his media columns and so called “comic” turns are strangely quiet on this issue for a change ? But then it’s not a priest or centrist politician that’s in the spotlight this time.

Was pretty much echoing what you said last night and was asking why the same people who were asking for Hook to be lynched weren't doing the same for Al Porter despite his accusations being more severe.

Was answered with a shrug of the shoulders and a resounding "I dunno.... it's different i suppose" fraid not my'dears. You stand for something or you stand for nothing, and the coverage of this by most show more of the latter than the former by our eternally outraged pals. It just goes to show you can be picky when baying for that required pound of flesh and those sweet sweet fb likes and shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

Was pretty much echoing what you said last night and was asking why the same people who were asking for Hook to be lynched weren't doing the same for Al Porter despite his accusations being more severe.

Was answered with a shrug of the shoulders and a resounding "I dunno.... it's different i suppose" fraid not my'dears. You stand for something or you stand for nothing, and the coverage of this by most show more of the latter than the former by our eternally outraged pals. It just goes to show you can be picky when baying for that required pound of flesh and those sweet sweet fb likes and shares.

If Al Porter had the cultural penetration that George Hook had, it would be a different story.

George Hook, at least until recently, was transmitting his views straight into peoples homes every day. When he made the comments he did, it resonated much more through society.

The allegations against Al Porter aren't given the same attention because his media profile and impact is far, far lower.

If you've ever had the misfortune of seeing one of his shows you'd already know he's an absolute scumbag.
    He picks someone out of the crowd (male) and spends the evening threatening to rape him.

I don't know this guy I'm just about aware of his stage persona and I don't like it myself. But I wouldn't ask for tar and feathers based on that. And thats what you're doing isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

KKkitty wrote: »
    I believe his accusers.

atticus-tom.gif

I don't know this guy I'm just about aware of his stage persona and I don't like it myself. But I wouldn't ask for tar and feathers based on that. And thats what you're doing isn't it?

You sit tight so and report back during the week.
    I've seen him in action and he's a nasty bit of work.

But it doesn't matter is my point. Even if he is and all is true this public witch hunt is a terrible thing. If this becomes the norm its only matter of time until someone innocent is going to be destroyed by the mob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Hey hey hey, im a SWM, 37 AND Im pissed on white wine. What are you impying :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

tigger123 wrote: »
    If Al Porter had the cultural penetration that George Hook had, it would be a different story.

George Hook, at least until recently, was transmitting his views straight into peoples homes every day. When he made the comments he did, it resonated much more through society.

The allegations against Al Porter aren't given the same attention because his media profile and impact is far, far lower.

Porter has about 122000 listeners to his radio show and with the Blind Date show he did with TV3 I'd suggest he is just as well known as George Hook.

In fact if you asked young people on the street who GH was many of them wouldn't have a clue.

The liberal left media didn't like Hook so when they got their chance they went for blood.

I'd be interested to see will Sarah McInerney and Elaine Crowley go on TV screaming hysterically for Porters head like they did about GH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

rustynutz wrote: »
    This is no ordinary panto...... Its a gaaaaay panto...

Sorry, ill get my coat

Isn't all panto gay to an extent? All this men dressing as women and "he's behind you, ohh er" Kenneth Williams type innuendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The liberal left media didn't like Hook so when they got their chance they went for blood.

I'd be interested to see will Sarah McInerney and Elaine Crowley go on TV screaming hysterically for Porters head like they did about GH.

Porter's head is on the plate already, he's suspended, his shows gone. It took Newstalk a long time to react to Hook hence the campaigning.

Porter's victims can or possibly have reported him for assaults which is a separate avenue. I wish them success and yes they have the right to feel assaulted whether they could have punched him or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I see the singer and presenter Aled Jones has been fired for the same allegations, I dont see Porters fan boys screaming about innocent until .... about this guy. He has been named and shamed in UK press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just looking at it from the comedy career angle.

Even if he does "go to ground" and emerges a few months from now, how can he possibly go back to his "act" which was heavy on the brazen sexual innuendo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

strandroad wrote: »
    Porter's head is on the plate already, he's suspended, his shows gone. It took Newstalk a long time to react to Hook hence the campaigning.

Porter's victims can or possibly have reported him for assaults which is a separate avenue. I wish them success and yes they have the right to feel assaulted whether they could have punched him or not.

Some of the allegations involve porter contacting guests he met through his employment on the today fm show and sending them unwanted sexual messages. That is indefensible surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Because this thread has become such a clusterfcuk, for my own sake I would like to clarify my personal opinion on the questions raised.

If Porter did what is alleged then he should be subject to appropriate sanction.

I am not in any way condoning any such behaviour, by straight, gay, bi whatever people, from the left or the right or any other political orientation I've missed out.

Any poster conflating massively powerful, movie mogul billionaires who can make or break careers and possibly lives through a phone call, with an unestablished, 19 year old, 2 bit comedian is being deliberately obtuse.

All abuse is wrong. There are no excuses.

However, while I can understand why the alleged victims of a Hollywood superpower would remain silent for years, I do not quite understand why the alleged victims of a basic nobody would not immediately go to the authorities. Or social media. Or whatever.

The gender, sexuality, race, religion or toughness of either the alleged victim or alleged perpetrator are irrelevant.

Also, while i felt the Hook bandwagon was distasteful, he said what he said live to hundreds of thousands. No doubt about why he was being hounded.

I'm sure people will find ways to misinterpret what I've said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

But it doesn't matter is my point. Even if he is and all is true this public witch hunt is a terrible thing. If this becomes the norm its only matter of time until someone innocent is going to be destroyed by the mob.

I agree with you..it's frightening to think that any of us could be falsely accused of something and be judged /discussed publicly online...I think it would push a lot of people over the edge tbh.
    I can't stand Al Porter..he should never have been allowed do Blind Date..lots of us love a bit of innuendo etc on a dating show but he often took it to another level,complete sleaze and cringe and not even slightly funny...I don't find him one bit funny and hate when someone has to mock someone else to try and get a laugh from a crowd.I do feel sorry for him being publicly judged but that's how everything is done now (unfortunately imo) but I'd be very surprised if there isn't truth in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I think there's a world of difference between what GH said..and what Porter has done ...not even in the same stratosphere

I see the singer and presenter Aled Jones has been fired for the same allegations, I dont see Porters fan boys screaming about innocent until .... about this guy. He has been named and shamed in UK press

I don't know where to start with this. You're saying because it happened to someone else its ok to happen to anyone thrown in with a few silly bits about 'fan boys' and 'screaming'. For effect I imagine.

Well I suppose isn't that what they say about mobs? Their combined intelligence is that of their most stupid members. Divided by ten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wonder will anyone refuse to share the airwaves with Al Porter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

tigger123 wrote: »

Porter has about 122000 listeners to his radio show and with the Blind Date show he did with TV3 I'd suggest he is just as well known as George Hook.

In fact if you asked young people on the street who GH was many of them wouldn't have a clue.

Porter was also was a self styled political analyst in a newspaper in wide circulation here and also a regular current /social affairs commentator on tv/ radio - he used that column and his broadcasts to throw stones at just about anyone right of centre or of Christian beliefs. Not a supporter of Enda Kenny but I bet he’s got that smug grin all over his cornflakes this morning having been the butt of Porter’s vicious lefty political correctness over the years. What comes around goes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I do not quite understand why the alleged victims of a basic nobody would not immediately go to the authorities. Or social media. Or whatever.

Couple of years back I was sharing a room with a gay lad in a hostel. Three of us were in the room. Me, him and his brother (who didn't speak English). He had been flirting with me for a few days. I batted it off - I'm a straight easy going guy.

Woke up in the middle of the night with him having pulled my duvet down, had his hand on the top of my boxers and his mouth moving towards my dick...

He was a basic nobody - I punched him before his mouth reached its intended destination. I guess it was sexual assault. Or would have been had I not woken.

I cornered him, shouted at him for a few minutes. Threatened him with a beating. Then went back to bed. Got up the next day and got him kicked out of the hostel.

Didnt' bother going to the cops... why would I? What good would it have done? Court... hassle.... qusestions like "why had I not prevented it seeing as he had been flirting with me?"

I don't see myself as a victim mind.

But, here you've got young or aspiring acts in a "it's your word against his" scenario. Sure that's just a flirty gay lad "messing".... that's part of his shtick, part of his act...

I think it comes to a head when they see him talking about mental health issues, or seeing him making sexualised remarks on Blind Date or basically see a sexual bully who has harrassed them not being taken to task for his behaviour.

And they say "enough is enough" .... in the same way that kids come out after years to say "my dad raped me"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

I wonder will anyone refuse to share the airwaves with Al Porter

I will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Claiming George Hook is better known surely doesn't matter? I mean Hook never touched ANYONE. Porter has apparently grabbed others genitals. Regardless of how "well known" or how "young" Porter is. His alleged misdemeanours are far worse than anything Hook did.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Claiming George Hook is better known surely doesn't matter? I mean Hook never touched ANYONE. Porter has apparently grabbed others genitals. Regardless of how "well known" or how "young" Porter is. His alleged misdemeanours are far worse than anything Hook did.

Absolutely. But then his employers acted quickly and decisively, unlike Hook's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭munster87

Imagine the outcry if George Hook was going around grabbing genitalia like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

KKkitty wrote: »
    unfortunately people have made accusations of such a nature before, which have turned out to be false. reasons are unknown. i don't know whether the allegations against al porter are true or not, and we will find out in time, but people do make allegations that turn out to be false from time to time, for reasons unknown.

that could very well be true, we don't know, we will in time know whether it's true or false. however, a number of people who have made allegations which later turned out to be false, have been very convincing.

there's no smoke without fire is not really a valid statement in relation to allegations, as sometimes there very much is smoke without fire. whether this particular case is one of those cases, i don't know.

not reallly. it is standard procedure these days for people who have had allegations made against them to be taken off air while the allegations are investigated.

If Al Porter has nothing to hide why is his social media presence dead in the water? If you were accused of something like him would you be on everything possible to say the truth? He's been inappropriate in his behaviour. Call a spade a spade FFS.

Because maybe finally there's someone who doesn't worship at the altar of f***ing social media.

I cannot stand Porter. He's as funny as trapping your hand in a car door but I am thoroughly sick of "taking to Twitter" when anything happens from the cat farting to yoy allegedly being assaulted.

zoobizoo wrote: »

I do not quite understand why the alleged victims of a basic nobody would not immediately go to the authorities. Or social media. Or whatever.

Couple of years back I was sharing a room with a gay lad in a hostel. Three of us were in the room. Me, him and his brother (who didn't speak English). He had been flirting with me for a few days. I batted it off - I'm a straight easy going guy.

Woke up in the middle of the night with him having pulled my duvet down, had his hand on the top of my boxers and his mouth moving towards my dick...

He was a basic nobody - I punched him before his mouth reached its intended destination. I guess it was sexual assault. Or would have been had I not woken.

I cornered him, shouted at him for a few minutes. Threatened him with a beating. Then went back to bed. Got up the next day and got him kicked out of the hostel.

Didnt' bother going to the cops... why would I? What good would it have done? Court... hassle.... qusestions like "why had I not prevented it seeing as he had been flirting with me?"

But, here you've got young or aspiring acts in a "it's your word against his" scenario. Sure that's just a flirty gay lad "messing".... that's part of his shtick, part of his act...

I think it comes to a head when they see him talking about mental health issues, or seeing him making sexualised remarks on Blind Date or basically see a sexual bully who has harrassed them not being taken to task for his behaviour.

And they say "enough is enough" .... in the same way that kids come out after years to say "my dad raped me"....

Waiting decades also eliminates that pesky forensic evidence or lack thereof and muddies memories, meaning alibis2are difficult to establish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If this happened the way you say it did then of course you are a victim of sexual assault.

• Advertisement

Because maybe finally there's someone who doesn't worship at the altar of f***ing social media.

I cannot stand Porter. He's as funny as trapping your hand in a car door but I am thoroughly sick of "taking to Twitter" when anything happens from the cat farting to yoy allegedly being assaulted.

He has over 9k tweets....he's a twitterwhore if I ever saw one

If this happened the way you say it did then of course you are a victim of sexual assault.

This is the thing I don't get.

When did it become ok to tell someone they were assaulted? They don't feel they were, they don't consider themselves a victim - that's their decision/perspective not someone else's.

When did it become ok to tell someone they were assaulted? They don't feel they were, they don't consider themselves a victim - that's their decision/perspective not someone else's.

Completely untrue,

He has over 9k tweets....he's a twitterwhore if I ever saw one

Maybe being falsely accused of something has put him off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They're not comparable cases.
    Hook was accused of having an unpopular opinion.
    Porter is accused of criminal behaviour.

Completely untrue,

Strongly disagree. I had my arse grabbed on the tube.

Told him to move the arm or lose it.

I was not sexually assaulted, I am not a victim. Do not weaken my response and ability to defend myself by calling me such.

It's no one's call but mine. Same as poster in hostel above.

Phoebas wrote: »

They're not comparable cases.
    Hook was accused of having an unpopular opinion.
    Porter is accused of criminal behaviour.

And yet both tried in the twin courts of Twitter and da feelz.

I was not sexually assaulted, I am not a victim. Do not weaken my response and ability to defend myself by calling me such.

Again...your initial statement is totally untrue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's not at all comparable to paternal rape. Not in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nice change of subject there on TV3 going from the Al Porter story to asking people have they the Xmas tree up

Again...your initial statement is totally untrue

Believe what you want. I'll be over here pretending to care.

Believe what you want. I'll be over here pretending to care.

A 6yo child wouldn't know...a person of diminished intelligence wouldn't know, someone who have been systematically groomed and raped wouldn't know ..now sit in the corner and think before posting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well, getting involved in someone else's life is always a risky thing, but assuming the person was assaulted in the way the law understands it, there's a very good reason not to be complicit with someone who wants to ignore that fact just because they themselves were in a position to fight back - abusers always start with minor transgressions and move on to more serious ones if they get away with them.

That youth hostel story for example was two young men neither of whom had any power over the other.

But give that guy 10 or 15 years and a position of authority, and you have a Kevin Spacey type situation.

So it's not just about telling other people what you think, it's about preventing possible crimes in the future.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Nice change of subject there on TV3 going from the Al Porter story to asking people have they the Xmas tree up
    I note that every time it’s mentioned, the presenters read a prepared statement. Love watching them cringe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What did he do exactly?

• Advertisement

And that's exactly the attidude that makes it so difficult for men to report assaults, seek support etc. You're supposed to "just deal with it". And if you don't or can't? Where's the line?

In rape threads there is usually a lot of picking female victims apart. Interesting to see how men describe other men in this situation (see also Spacey thread wrt Anthony Rapp).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bilbot79 wrote: »
    What did he do exactly?

Mickey grabbing.

Maybe he thought he was having a bit of craic as this ott gay fella and saw this carry on as part of his schtick only for it to backfire spectacularly. At best it was misguided banter (in his mind) and at worst it was sexual harassment.
    He's not doing himself any favours by staying silent on the matter.

And that's exactly the attidude that makes it so difficult for men to report assaults, seek support etc. You're supposed to "just deal with it". And if you don't or can't? Where's the line?

In rape threads there is usually a lot of picking female victims apart. Interesting to see how men describe other men in this situation (see also Spacey thread wrt Anthony Rapp).

I am female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

And yet both tried in the twin courts of Twitter and da feelz.

Because we the public make little distinction if we're "outraged". And outrage is the default setting for social media.

Who the hell is Al Porter anyway?

I am female.

Whatever. What's being described is sexual assaults, what's your problem with admitting it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement