Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving an old PC with Linux

Options
  • 18-11-2017 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so a friend has old PC, Dell Dimension 1100. It hasn't been used in years but she was wondering could it be rescued for her kid? He will just use for browsing etc....

I had a look at it and it wun Windows Home Edition XP, has Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz proc but the main issue.....256GB RAM

It runs like a pig with XP. So I was thinking of putting Linux. Just wondering would the current versions of Linux work? Or what would be the best version to use on low spec?

Would like browser and maybe a word processor......

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, so a friend has old PC, Dell Dimension 1100. It hasn't been used in years but she was wondering could it be rescued for her kid? He will just use for browsing etc....

I had a look at it and it wun Windows Home Edition XP, has Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz proc but the main issue.....256GB RAM

It runs like a pig with XP. So I was thinking of putting Linux. Just wondering would the current versions of Linux work? Or what would be the best version to use on low spec?

Would like browser and maybe a word processor......

Thanks

You need to find a distro release that is aimed specifically at such low end hardware.

Maybe Antix or even Puppy would do it.
    Probably others out there also.

In addition given the age of the PC it possibly needs a 32 bit OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Could try adding more RAM. Max it can take is 2GB. Cex are selling 1GB modules for €4 https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SMEMBDH9

It would make overall operation a lot better on any OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I was thinking you could use it as a hardware firewall, dns caching server, or router but the lack of RAM would make it difficult to do much with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You'll need at least 1GB RAM for it to be any use really, but either Lubuntu or Zorin Lite would run fine on that for basic tasks.

http://lubuntu.net/
    https://zorinos.com/download/lite/

fxotoole wrote: »
    I was thinking you could use it as a hardware firewall, dns caching server, or router but the lack of RAM would make it difficult to do much with it

Not sure why the OP would do that when they clearly stated they wanted it for browsing and word processing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sure. I'd avoid the likes of Puppy Linux for your situation.Check out Lubuntu or Zorin Lite, links above.

You would need to download the ISO, burn it to a USB/CD and boot from that. You can use the likes of Rufus in Windows to burn ISOs to USB:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OP, I'd be surprised if your Dell can boot from USB. Check in BIOS for options. Use https://www.cdburnerxp.se/ to burn CD from ISO

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I put LXLE distro on some old computers. but they had 2GB of ram in them
    You can upgrade the RAM easily and cheaply on that PC to 2 GB
    LXLE is based on Lubuntu which is an Ubuntu OS using the LXDE desktop environment. It is designed to be a drop-in and go OS, primarily for aging computers. Its intention is to be able to install it on any computer and be relatively done after install. At times removing unwanted programs or features is easier than configuring for a day. Our distro follows the same LTS schedule as Ubuntu. In short, LXLE is an eclectic respin of Lubuntu with its own user suppor

http://www.lxle.net/

256 mB is very low these days even if distros install the apps like webrowsers will hog up the memory pretty quickly.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Could try adding more RAM. Max it can take is 2GB. Cex are selling 1GB modules for €4 https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SMEMBDH9

It would make overall operation a lot better on any OS.

Thanks, have decided memory is the best option. I checked on Dell website and it is listed as Dimension 1100/B110. Got the manual and found the info below. Is the memory you linked correct?

back in the day I used to work on support desk for all of this stuff :p Now I can't remember how to format a bloody hard drive :mad:

Type
    333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM
    NOTE:
    DDR333 and DDR400 memory
    runs at 266MHz when
    configured with Celero
    n 400MHz FSB processors
    NOTE:
    DDR333 memory runs at 320M
    Hz when configured with
    Pentium 4 800MHz FSB processors

• Advertisement

Thanks, have decided memory is the best option. I checked on Dell website and it is listed as Dimension 1100/B110. Got the manual and found the info below. Is the memory you linked correct?

back in the day I used to work on support desk for all of this stuff :p Now I can't remember how to format a bloody hard drive :mad:

Type
    333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM
    NOTE:
    DDR333 and DDR400 memory
    runs at 266MHz when
    configured with Celero
    n 400MHz FSB processors
    NOTE:
    DDR333 memory runs at 320M
    Hz when configured with
    Pentium 4 800MHz FSB processors

According to Crucial http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/dimension-1100# that's the correct spec.

What spec Ram/CPU is currently installed?

FanadMan wrote: »
    According to Crucial http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/dimension-1100# that's the correct spec.

What spec Ram/CPU is currently installed?

Haven't opened yet....just says in System Props

Dell Dimension DE051

Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz proc

2.79Ghz, 256MB of RAM

Haven't opened yet....just says in System Props

Dell Dimension DE051

Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz proc

2.79Ghz, 256GB of RAM

The RAM I listed earlier should work fine for that system. Installing 2x 1GB modules should help it quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

You need to find a distro release that is aimed specifically at such low end hardware.

Maybe Antix or even Puppy would do it.
    Probably others out there also.

In addition given the age of the PC it possibly needs a 32 bit OS.

+1 antiX.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

thanks, memory ordered. Once it arrives will look at next steps

I guess any of the versions of Linux will run standard Firefox browser?

Also it can run freebie versions of word processor?

Never really used Linux so no idea :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

thanks, memory ordered. Once it arrives will look at next steps

I guess any of the versions of Linux will run standard Firefox browser?

Also it can run freebie versions of word processor?

Never really used Linux so no idea :-)

I use Libre Office. Can read and save as docx format.

me_irl wrote: »
    I use Libre Office. Can read and save as docx format.

Yes, LibreOffice is excellent. It has Writer, Calc, etc. I use it daily.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Thanks

:eek:

ZENER wrote: »
    :eek:

hahaha......I work with servers and it is how many TB's do you want to put in them :p

God I find it hard to remember when I was working with desktops and saying 256MB was loads :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Am I the only one who is seeing 256GB? That is 256 GIGABYTES?!

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is seeing 256GB? That is 256 GIGABYTES?!

Sorry it was typo, 256MB I meant

Ok memory delivered yesterday. Installed and desktop is actually flying along now

Thanks for the tip on website, never used them before but perfect

Now the question, will I just leave Windows XP on it or should I reload to Linux? It is for a young lad who has only used Windows, also Word is installed on it which I didn't notice before. So should I leave as is or bite the bullet.

Ok memory delivered yesterday. Installed and desktop is actually flying along now

Thanks for the tip on website, never used them before but perfect

Now the question, will I just leave Windows XP on it or should I reload to Linux? It is for a young lad who has only used Windows, also Word is installed on it which I didn't notice before. So should I leave as is or bite the bullet.

Bite the bullet. XP is dead. Give GNU/Linux a go.

Worztron wrote: »

Thanks, as I use it more I am thinking that might be the route. Firefox killed the processor so I found browser Lunascape which I am using on it. Works ok but really from what I can read majortyof light weight browser are Linux options

Thanks, as I use it more I am thinking that might be the route. Firefox killed the processor so I found browser Lunascape which I am using on it. Works ok but really from what I can read majortyof light weight browser are Linux options

Midori web browser is light on resources and it's open-source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The most "natural" progression would be to use Peppermint OS.

https://peppermintos.com/

I am biased since I've been using it for so long as my daily driver.

Midori web browser is light on resources and it's open-source.

Tried it but after install when I opened I kept getting errors about missing files....it seemed to work but didnt like the errors

Last question, any issues with Youtube running on Linux?

Last question, any issues with Youtube running on Linux?

Hi Shefwedfan.

None.

• Advertisement

Ok, so had a look around and I think the best option is Lubuntu.....based on doing a few google searchs.

The requirements are low and I would guess most app's will be supported on it

Advertisement