Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving an old PC with Linux

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok, so had a look around and I think the best option is Lubuntu.....based on doing a few google searchs.

The requirements are low and I would guess most app's will be supported on it

Lubuntu still uses LXDE AFAIK. It's very light on resource use alright. It's not the most user-friendly desktop environment (DE) for beginners to tweak a lot but still great.

I'd go with Debian+LXDE but Ubuntu-based distros are more suited to beginners.

Also when using an Ubuntu-based distro (aka distribution) -- opt for the LTS (long term support) releases as they are the most stable are supported for many years. LTS are for example 14.04, 16.04, etc. - that is released in April on even numbered years.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Another option is to convert a Chrome OS clone using the home version (Free) of CloudReady from neverware.

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

If you have an active Office 365 subscription the online apps give you access to the full suite of office programs.

I have installed it on a Dell Precision from similar era and made a nearly obsolete pc useable again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks for all the help, few issues :-) I forgot how much fun it is messing with these older PC's....

So the drive in the PC is a CDRW and all I had was DVD-R and DVD-RW
    Was just about to order a couple of CDR but then I noticed the file size. It is over 800MB.

So even if I get some CDR's I won't be able to install the OS.....

Also by the looks of Lubuntu the spec might be a bit high, I think it will kill the CPU, if you could call what is installed in this box a CPU these days :-)
    So kind of back to drawing board

Thanks for all the help, few issues :-) I forgot how much fun it is messing with these older PC's....

So the drive in the PC is a CDRW and all I had was DVD-R and DVD-RW
    Was just about to order a couple of CDR but then I noticed the file size. It is over 800MB.

So even if I get some CDR's I won't be able to install the OS.....

Also by the looks of Lubuntu the spec might be a bit high, I think it will kill the CPU, if you could call what is installed in this box a CPU these days :-)

So kind of back to drawing board

Consider antiX.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Consider antiX.

The ISO image looks to be similar size to Lubuntu? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

So I went to local shop as I started to get lazy. 60 quid they wanted off me to load Linux. Also went on and on about XP and I was going to get hacked and rob all my information:-) .......they also said I could stick on Win7 onto. I said not a hope but he said no problem.....poor thing would die a death

I decided other option would be to buy a cheap IDE DVD drive. So I see one on CeX for 10 quid. Thanks again for that website I am buying too much crap off it....

While I was at it I was thinking about pulling out the HDD and putting in SSD. But I cannot find SSD with IDE connection. I guess that is a step too far for my old banger.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The ISO image looks to be similar size to Lubuntu? Or am I missing something?

The size of the ISO is irrelevant.

+1

Is I try to burn to CDR if it is bigger than the CD it will cause an issue? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is I try to burn to CDR if it is bigger than the CD it will cause an issue? No?

If it won't fit on a CD then burn it to a DVD or USB flash stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

He said he only has a CD-RW drive, no DVD drive.
    He also said his motherboard is so old it doesnt support USB boot.

EDIT: OP i'd say just get the DVD drive for a tenner and leave it at that. If you keep buying upgrades, then you're spending too much and then you'll start getting into the financial territory where you could get an Intel Pentium G4560!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    He said he only has a CD-RW drive, no DVD drive.
    He also said his motherboard is so old it doesnt support USB boot.

EDIT: OP i'd say just get the DVD drive for a tenner and leave it at that. If you keep buying upgrades, then you're spending too much and then you'll start getting into the financial territory where you could get an Intel Pentium G4560!

Thanks, I did that yesterday. I got one for 10 with delivery. Have a few DVDRW here ready to go.

Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow and I try and get it up and running tomorrow evening.....

If I get this up and running I think I will try and get something similar for myself, maybe a little bit more grunt in CPU...but do that up....

I promise I wont annoy people with more questions on here....I have actually started to remember most of the stuff I done years ago:P

I can't believe it is so long ago but the last time I build my own PC was in 2003:eek: scary

The struggles continue.....

I keep forgetting when dealing with old PC's always have back up plan....

So I got DVRW delivered, it was laptop one instead of PC so I had to drop it back and get refund. Got myself sorted and off I went....should have remembered less haste more speed.....

So stuck on ISO. Said to myself I must do another copy. Didn't do that of course.

Booted into Lubuntu and started install. Of course wiped the drive and then just as it was about to finish it crapped out. Now left with no OS running on system, I can boot into Lubuntu off DVD but of course can't write to DVD drive

Now to try and find someone with DVDRW installed somewhere. I have laptops etc but the skinny ones which have no DVD installed.....

I will, I promise to myself get this up and running :-)

Ok so finally have Lubuntu up and running....issue is I had a look at Zorin and really liked the look of it :-)

Anyway to resolve the DVD issue I picked up a really cheap tower, going to keep that for myself to mess around with. No matter what I tried with 16.04.03 Lunbuntu it wouldn't install so I got 16.04.01 and got it up and running....running an update on it which I think from reading will bring it up to .03....

After that looking to get those few apps installed and hopefully done and dusted finally

Thanks for all the help....

Ok so finally have Lubuntu up and running....issue is I had a look at Zorin and really liked the look of it :-)

Anyway to resolve the DVD issue I picked up a really cheap tower, going to keep that for myself to mess around with. No matter what I tried with 16.04.03 Lunbuntu it wouldn't install so I got 16.04.01 and got it up and running....running an update on it which I think from reading will bring it up to .03....

After that looking to get those few apps installed and hopefully done and dusted finally

Thanks for all the help....

Kudos for sticking at it. Happy computing with GNU/Linux. :-)

Kudos for sticking at it. Happy computing with GNU/Linux. :-)

It is flying along, maybe a little hard on the CPU but 10 times better then XP....

Have LibreOffice installed....all the main app's which he should require....even took a bash at Kodi and got that up and running.....

Going to download some notes/guides and print out....then off to the student with it....I will have a tear in my eye :P

Then I start with the new box, a little bit more power in it(massive Dual core Pentium:eek:) so will see what I use on that.....maybe Xubuntu for a start..

Thanks again for the advice everyone

It is flying along, maybe a little hard on the CPU but 10 times better then XP....

Have LibreOffice installed....all the main app's which he should require....even took a bash at Kodi and got that up and running.....

Going to download some notes/guides and print out....then off to the student with it....I will have a tear in my eye :P

Then I start with the new box, a little bit more power in it(massive Dual core Pentium:eek:) so will see what I use on that.....maybe Xubuntu for a start..

Thanks again for the advice everyone

You're very welcome Shefwedfan. I'm always happy to see people give Linux a try.

You're very welcome Shefwedfan. I'm always happy to see people give Linux a try.

Thanks, I am doing a bit of messing around....I decided to try Peppermint on the test box and loved the look of the Software Manager....so I stuck it onto the system for the student, I think it will be an easier migration from Windows.....

Have it up and running and seems to run a little quicker than Lubuntu.....

Going to finish it off and then get the box I am keeping up and running with something :P....want to try and see exactly what I can do with Linux now.....

me_irl wrote: »
    The most "natural" progression would be to use Peppermint OS.

https://peppermintos.com/

I am biased since I've been using it for so long as my daily driver.

Just wondering which version of Peppermint you are running? I have installed version 8 but it seems a bit dodgy at times...

Advertisement