Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me work my rear bike light!

Options
  • 18-11-2017 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Picked up a second hand bike recently. It has a light on the back, Basta Ray Steady dyanmo powered. I've attached an image.

It doesn't light up when I'm cycling. Is it supposed to be connected to something? First time dealing with a Dynamo light so I am a 100% noob.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... Is it supposed to be connected to something?...
    Have you a hub dynamo and have you wired the light to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Have you a hub dynamo and have you wired the light to it?

It's not connected to anything. Actually on further inspection it looks like there's a section missing. I think it must have been nicked.

I think I'll just have to get a new one. Sorry to waste everybody's time I'm going to delete this thread now and commit Hara kiri.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There's some great battery powered lights on the market now, some mentioned on boards threads, you're probably better off with a set. Safe cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    There's some great battery powered lights on the market now, some mentioned on boards threads, you're probably better off with a set. Safe cycling
    I just got a complete hub dynamo wheel, front and rear lights for €144 from bike24.com.

Fit and forget, permanent, effective lighting and no more batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I just got a complete hub dynamo wheel, front and rear lights for €144 from bike24.com.

€144 could be more than the bike is worth for all we know.
    You can get led lights with long lasting rechargeable battery for €20 - €30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I'm moving to USB charged lights recently. Find them great. Next stop a couple of head torches.

How do ppl find these generally (not concerned with specific brands)?

tuxy wrote: »
    €144 could be more than the bike is worth for all we know.
    You can get led lights with long lasting rechargeable battery for €20 - €30

Not up to my standards you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

I'm moving to USB charged lights recently. Find them great. Next stop a couple of head torches.

How do ppl find these generally (not concerned with specific brands)?

A good front light with flashing modes coupled with a flashing light on top of helmet have made a noticeable improvement for me. Motorists no longer pull across me so far. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have 3 different front and rear lights. My commute is half dark country lanes and the flashing mode would drive me nuts there, but I set one to flash in the other parts - or daylight this time of year. Mine are all USB and varying quality, but the best front one I have is a Cateye Volt 400 which gives me enough light. One day I will get around to getting a dynamo and fixed lights but I haven't done it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

cdaly_ wrote: »

Out of curiosity, what parts did you choose?

• Advertisement

Wheel is a 26" Mavic XM 319 rim on a Shimano DH-3D32 disc dynamo hub.
    Rear light is a Busch + Müller Toplight View Brake Plus which includes standlight and a brake light (brightens up when it sees the dynamo slowing down).
    Front light is a Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ Avy N. 40 lux is bright enough to be easily seen even in the rain and to light your way on a dark road.

This setup is for a city commuter. My audax/touring setup has a more powerful Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo Premium T Senso Plus 80 lux front light which makes oncoming cars see me as a motorbike and lights up roads for night-time descending.

Advertisement