Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby wipes - the great debate!

Options
  • 18-11-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Well, it is a great debate is our house anyway!
    With our little man nearly reaching 1yr, my wife still insists on only buying Waterwipes as she believes they are softer, and have no chemicals.
    Fair enough during the first month or two, but surely all the other types are fine?
    The cost of waterwipes adds up quick, despite trying to get them in bulk.
    What does everyone else use?
    Other 'sensitive' branded ones, or Aldi / Lidl / Tesco etc... own brand?
    I reckon we're probably just using them because he's our first.... god help the second, as we probably won't care as much! :p

What baby wipes do you use? 79 votes

Waterwipes only
    1% 1 vote
    Other branded wipes
    40% 32 votes
    Own brand wipes - Aldi / Lidl / Tesco etc...
    20% 16 votes
    None! Use a mix of cotton wool / tissue etc...
    37% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

I find Lidl and Aldi wipes too harsh and the same goes for Huggies brand. Supervalu own brand are good for the price at 89c a pack but I think for 99c in Tesco you can't go wrong with Johnson's sensitive. Never tried water wipes admittedly cos they are just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

We use the aldi ones on our two and have never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

How about reusable wipes then, or maybe cotton pads and water. I found waterwipes too wet so would have to dry him before putting nappy back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I used cotton and water for first two weeks, then water wipes. Tried Tesco wipes which worked with my son at 5 months when she was 1.5 months, but she was a bit red, so left it until 3 months to try again. No reaction at 3 months so have been using Tesco sensitive since.

I remember finding simple brand wipes good for my son too. Huggies and Johnson's he had reactions to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Huggies are crap in my opinion. Tesco, supervalu, aldi, lidl all fine for my fella. Used cotton for a few weeks at first and then water wipes for about 2-3 months. Anything went after that really and none caused any issues. Except huggies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Water wipes till out of nappies imo

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    Huggies are crap in my opinion. Tesco, supervalu, aldi, lidl all fine for my fella. Used cotton for a few weeks at first and then water wipes for about 2-3 months. Anything went after that really and none caused any issues. Except huggies.

Huggies would take the paint off a car

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Waterwipes for pooey nappies here, cotton wool and water for just wees.
    The water wipes are expensive, but one does the work of 2/3 other brand ones and I only buy when they're on offer so I think we're doing ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Aldi sensitive just as good as water wipes and far cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We use anything and everything since about 2 weeks old. Except on his face. Water wipes in the Childminder’s and face clothes at home as he gets a very slight rash from regular use of baby wipes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Waterwipes the first couple months then Supervalu own brand sensitive or fragrance free.I know where she's coming from but they aren't really still necessary.We don't do Johnsom's as found they made skin red on our first,even at almost a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

shesty wrote: »
    .I know where she's coming from but they aren't really still necessary.

That depends on the child. Mine are very sensitive and even at 2 reacted to other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Used water wipes for the hospital and the first few weeks on both of my babies. Use Aldi sensitive from a few weeks onwards. Never use on face or hands though, cotton pads and water or muslin cloths as both would get irritated if used a wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Used cotton balls for around the first 6 weeks and then Huggies or Asda own-brand wipes afterwards. My son doesn't have particularly sensitive skin by baby standards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Cotton wool - water wipes - Huggies or Aldi.

Huggies are the best. Love the material compared to Aldi. Good price to. Aldi nappies are the best nappies past newborn. But that’s another thread 😜

Don’t see the posting in using water wipes after 2 months. Too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

Our little guy is 18mths + still using water wipes. Worth it as he has never had bad nappy rash. Now we do buy a pack of whatever sensitive wipes are on offer for least hands etc but water wipes definitely best for nappy changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Used Water Wipes in the hospital and at home until the pack ran out. Used Aldi and had no reaction. Used Huggies cos they came in a hamper we got. Not impressed with them, seemed like toilet tissue with fibres coming away on her.
    Been using SuperValu Fragrance Free wipes since she was 2 months old and haven't had any problems with them. Good value in the 4 pack of wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Cloth wipes are missing from the poll.

Soft, no chemicals and very, very cheap. You don't need to be using cloth nappies to try them. You can buy nice ones or make your own by cutting up old t-shirts etc. Use with a spray bottle of water and throw them in the wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wire brush and dettol also missing from the poll. A week of wire brush and dettol and anything with the word ‘wipe’ in the title will be more than acceptable!

:pac:

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cotton wool - water wipes - Huggies or Aldi.

Huggies are the best. Love the material compared to Aldi. Good price to. Aldi nappies are the best nappies past newborn. But that’s another thread 😜

Don’t see the posting in using water wipes after 2 months. Too expensive.

We used the huggies too, they seemed softest. At least out of all the many many we tried they were the only ones that didn't irritate our son's skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

endacl wrote: »
    Wire brush and dettol also missing from the poll. A week of wire brush and dettol and anything with the word ‘wipe’ in the title will be more than acceptable!

:pac:

Lol :D - but seriously, many people do use cloth wipes and they're a million times easier than you'd think if you haven't tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭shane b

We found the tesco wipes the best. Much softer than the huggies we were using. Tesco do a perfumed and non perfumed version i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I’m using water wipes, but I’ve stocked up when they’re on special, so I don’t think they’re any dearer. They were €1.67 a pack, and I think a pack lasts twice as long as any other brand I tried, so no extra expense. He’s my third baby, and I’ve used most other brands at some point.
    I’m going to switch to cheeky wipes though, I’m just working through my stash a bit. I regret the big stash, and I also regret not investing in cheeky wipes on my last baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cloth wipes here too. Landfill nightmares with the others. Never likes the smell of any of the wipes either tbh.

Waterwipes are the biggest swizz. As if fruit is required on a babies arse. I cannot understand the price of them. The producers must be rolling around on a bed of money at this stage. Just why? Fruit extract... Wtf is that even? Orange juice? Kiwi? Pineapple?

Bananas more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

pwurple wrote: »
    Cloth wipes here too. Landfill nightmares with the others. Never likes the smell of any of the wipes either tbh.

Waterwipes are the biggest swizz. As if fruit is required on a babies arse. I cannot understand the price of them. The producers must be rolling around on a bed of money at this stage. Just why? Fruit extract... Wtf is that even? Orange juice? Kiwi? Pineapple?

Bananas more like.

I doubt it's the fruit extract that has psrents buying them, I didnt even know they had it. It's hos delicate they are compared to others.

Aren't water wipes made in Drogheda. Vaguely remember seeing a factory with the sign on it on the way to Funtasia

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Water wipes only for our LG who's now 2 and almost potty trained but still using wipes for after eating etc

Not necessarily because of the additive-free etc (although that's nice)-she never has rashes or sensitive skin or anything like that. We tried all of the other brands as well because the water wipes are definitely dearer (even though I try to stock up when on offer when possible) but found that none of them cleaned the dirty nappies as well and also thought all of them (even the "fragrance free") had a chemical, unpleasant smell

Each to their own though-like everything in parenting there's no right or wrong, just what works for each baby and each family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I didnt like water wipes, use johnson's extra sensitive, i think the balm/chemicals on them help with the skin, can get them for 1 euro a pack of 56 wipes in tesco on special regularly.

Found huggies were a bit rough, feel soft but dragged on his skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Oh lordy.
    What have our Saturday nights become?! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I doubt it's the fruit extract that has psrents buying them, I didnt even know they had it. It's hos delicate they are compared to others.

Ah marketing. You have to love it.

Advertisement