Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby wipes - the great debate!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Aldi sensitive all the way.

As a clueless dad I was unaware of the existence of cloth wipes. Will investigate

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Cloth wipes are missing from the poll.

Soft, no chemicals and very, very cheap. You don't need to be using cloth nappies to try them. You can buy nice ones or make your own by cutting up old t-shirts etc. Use with a spray bottle of water and throw them in the wash.

I'd need about 40 old t-shirts and a daily wash to have enough in my house.
    Also when you're out and about baby wipes are essential for us.

I did love water wipes and found them the wettest of all but really don't see much difference in Aldi sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

pwurple wrote: »
    Ah marketing. You have to love it.

Recommendation from a nurse. You have to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Face cloths for faces and hands, Boots fragrance free wipes for bums. We buy them by the box! We have 3 kids under 4 and use a lot of wipes which I’m starting to feel guilty about in terms of landfill. Two of mine are nappies still, would I need a lot of cloth wipes? Our washing machine is already overworked so I’m assuming I’d be running a separate wash for these. I used cloth nappies for a while but trailed off a bit when baby no. 3 arrived last winter. Was having trouble keeping up with the drying.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Roesy wrote: »
    Two of mine are nappies still, would I need a lot of cloth wipes? Are washing machine is already overworked so I’m assuming I’d be running a separate wash for these.

I have 40 for one baby. They don't take up much space in the wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Recommendation from a nurse. You have to love it.

Marketing works on Nurses too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Absolutely but I'll take their word over an unknown poster on the internet. They worked fine for my boy and that's what matters. Would other wipes have done the same job? Possibly. :)

We all use what we feel best for our kids. For some it's cotton and water for others it's water wipes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Random points....the waterwipes pack drives me crazy.When trying to change a rolling, wriggling 14 month old, you are trying to get wipes out one handed and end up getting a pile of them at once.Total waste.And they never re-seal properly.

I understand some babies have sensitive skin but I still think by almost a year there is nothing wrong with trying out some different wipes, especially if there are no signs of sensitivity to date.

They are the wettest and the biggest but still.Supervalu own brand fragrance free suit us well, pack is designed better and the wipes are a good size.I've found most other wipes to be quite small and very chemical smelling unless you specifically go sensitive and even then they are hit n miss.

Clothes or muslins with water for hand wiping, definitely.Wouldn't waste wipes on that.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go catch my 19 mth old and wrestle with her (try to change her......)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

We just use water wipes for pooey bums. Cloths for everything else. Ikea do a great pack of cloths which work brilliant. They’d be good for pooey bums too. I’m just not organised for storing and washing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Exactly. Plus, while a lot of nurses are exceptionally professional, some other nurses have recommended some weird schtuff to me over the years. Homeopathic mumbojumbo like arnica. Choking hazards like bead necklaces on babies. Reiki, aromatherapy, ‘adjusting’ the skull of a baby.

But aside from all that, a nurses recommendation of a baby wipe brand is purely personal opinion. There is no medical basis for any choice in that matter. How could it be anything other than personal opinion? :confused:

Plus, sweet baby jebus, we are talking about wiping up urine and faeces here. Whatever works. Literally. Almost anything will do the job. A handful of grass or a bunch of leaves if you are stuck.

If the packaging, smell, size, moistness, marketing speil, or whatever else makes a difference to you has fit your criteria, then taadaa, you found your wipe.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Exactly. Plus, while a lot of nurses are exceptionally professional, some other nurses have recommended some weird schtuff to me over the years. Homeopathic mumbojumbo like arnica. Choking hazards like bead necklaces on babies. Reiki, aromatherapy, ‘adjusting’ the skull of a baby.

But aside from all that, a nurses recommendation of a baby wipe brand is purely personal opinion. There is no medical basis for any choice in that matter. How could it be anything other than personal opinion? :confused:

Plus, sweet baby jebus, we are talking about wiping up urine and faeces here. Whatever works. Literally. Almost anything will do the job. A handful of grass or a bunch of leaves if you are stuck.

If the packaging, smell, size, moistness, marketing speil, or whatever else makes a difference to you has fit your criteria, then taadaa, you found your wipe.

Taadaa, water wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Waterwipes as she believes they are softer, and have no chemicals.

Well, seeing as the "wipe" part is 20% viscose/80% polyester, they're just as petro-chemical as any of the others.

And if your wife was mine, I'd be having constant arguments with her as to why we were paying for "99.9% water" in a plastic packet when we could get it for free from the tap! :D

(Fortunately, my own wife was as sceptical as me when it came to companies trying to rip-off new baby owners with outrageous claims :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

And for the love of Earth, if you must use one-use throwaway plastic-mesh squares at every nappy change, DO NOT PUT THEM DOWN THE TOILET.
    Although manufacturers (ie, sellers) often describe them as "flushable" they are not water-soluble: they get stuck in huge clumps that block sewage systems and may eventually end up in the sea.

Nowadays everyone has a washing machine: a piece of cotton fabric or towelling does the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Johnsons sensitive, bought in bulk from Amazon for first 6 months (and then until they run out), and then Aldi Mamia Sensitive wipes.
    We stock up on a few boxes of wipes from Aldi everytime the baby event is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

We used WaterWipes for the first 9/10 months and in the last 2 months have been trying alternative, cheaper brands.... Huggies, Lidl, Aldi, and Johnson. None of them come close to the quality of WaterWipes... I'm quite surprised how hard it seems to be to produce such a simple product. The Aldi Mamia ones are probably the best of the bunch and are grand for change bag or a quick hand clean. Huggies are the worst, they feel so artificial and have a stronger smell. We're back on the WaterWipes now.

Should also say that we're using wet facecloths more now for post meal face/hands clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm a WaterWipe snob, I'll admit! Have tried others, can't stand the smell of most of them, they give me a migraine! Plus WaterWipes are made in Drogheda so I like to think I'm contributing to local jobs and the local economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Bacchus wrote: »
    Should also say that we're using wet facecloths more now for post meal face/hands clean up.

We are the same, always use facecloths for hands and faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

wow, thanks for all the feedback guys!
    I think I'll avoid huggies so based on some of the comments here! :D
    We do use cotton wool and water a lot when in the home in fairness. Perhaps we should think about switching to cloth.
    The wipes are still ideal for the buggy / baby bag.
    Since we're on Lidl nappies at the moment, I'll give their branded ones a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

We use water wipes only on face and then a mix of waterwipes and Aldi sensitive new baby wipes when changing nappy. Used water wipes only for the first 3 months.

Advertisement