Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Malcolm Young

• 18-11-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭✭

'Today it is with deep heartfelt sadness that AC/DC has to announce the passing of Malcolm Young.
    Malcolm, along with Angus, was the founder and creator of AC/DC.
    With enormous dedication and commitment he was the driving force behind the band.
    As a guitarist, songwriter and visionary he was a perfectionist and a unique man.
    He always stuck to his guns and did and said exactly what he wanted.
    He took great pride in all that he endeavored.
    His loyalty to the fans was unsurpassed.
    As his brother it is hard to express in words what he has meant to me during my life, the bond we had was unique and very special.
    He leaves behind an enormous legacy that will live on forever.
    Malcolm, job well done.'

RIP to a true legend, sadly saw ACDC in 2015 and he had left the band by then.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Fúck it, I know he hasn't been well for the last few years. It's been a tough few weeks for Angus. Their other brother died a few weeks ago as well. Vey sad I never got to see them live. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

I once naively said to someone that he did very little for that band and was quickly put down and directed to his songwriting.

Dik Mik from Hawkwind died yesterday too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a shock obviously but sad esp given the last few years of his life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Awww noooo......R.I.P Mal:(

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Sad news. One of my favourite guitarists. RIP.

Angus gets a lot of the plaudits, and rightly so at times, but Malcolm's rhythm playing was phenomenal. Just listen to Thunderstruck. The lead intro is iconic, but to me, as soon as Malcolm's rhythm kicks in the song comes alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

When I first got into the band it was all about Angus, but the more I listened the more I appreciated what Malcolm was doing behind it in the background, I liked that he was happy enough to hammer away on his guitar in the shadows and let Angus have all the attention.

Saw him in Punchestown in 2009 and despite the fact that horrible disease had taken hold his playing was still sharp as a tack, listening to an interview with Angus a few years ago it's incredible he decided to keep going through it, they had their money made at that point, the majority of people would have just called it a day.

Love his playing on this song, just a masterclass in subtlety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ah no, we all knew it was coming but it's probably the first 'celebrity' death that I've actually cared about. AC/DC were a hughe part of my teenage years. Like many I suspect I took up guitar because of Angus, but quickly came to appreciate Mal's work. For me the opening chords of jailbreak or it's a long way to the top sum him up - big deep ballsy power chords and straight up rock and roll - zero bull****. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sad sad news. I’m 51 and an AC/DC fan since around 78.
    Was lucky enough to see them live with Malcom three times - 1982(I think) in the RDS on the For Those About To Rock tour. 1984 in Donnington headlining the Monsters Of Rock bill(what a line up that was) and 2009 in Punchestown.
    Such a brilliant band live, Malcom always taking a back seat in the live setting but his rock solid rhythm guitar playing was the heartbeat of the sound and of course his songwriting made a huge contribution to what AC/DC is.

It was inevitable that he would die prematurely once it was confirmed he had dementia but it’s still a little shocking for me to read.

Only 64 too, too young imo. Dementia is a horrible disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

RIP to an absolute legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Rip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was lucky enough to have seen him back in 2009. At that time, nobody knew about his worsening mental condition, and he played/sang to the same standard he always had. What's incredible is that on one of Malcolm's last public appearances in 2012, when he was with family visiting the Outer Hebrides, he was still talking about a new album, that they were working on it, and when he thought it would be coming out, stating that the gap between Stiff Upper Lip and Black Ice had been 'too long'. I'm pretty convinced that he kept on going until the day that he simply couldn't, anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

Very said news, RIP and hope his family get through this time ok. Followed them since 79 and have been a big part of my musical life. I don't lay guitar, but 60% learned to play mal's part on Hells Bells 2 years ago as its just the best. Gone to make sure I start again tomorrow and get so i can play it. If it the only song i ever learn I'll be satisfied I have learned one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Always thought dementia only effects your mind and memory not your whole body and organs ???

Sad way to go for such an intelligent person

It slowly destroys your brain which eventually has an effect on the rest of your body as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ride on, Mal....RIP (Rock In Peace)

MadYaker wrote: »
    It slowly destroys your brain which eventually has an effect on the rest of your body as well.

We don't really know what Malcolm died of in the end. I'm sure the dementia didn't help, but he'd been having other health problems sometime before 2014 including needing to have a pacemaker put in, and an operation to remove a tumor. I just hope that, however he went, he didn't feel too much pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

so sad
    the king of rhythm guitar
    a complete one off
    RIP Mal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

A true great he was. So many different generations of people love AC/DC. It's sad that we are going to see all our favourite bands and musicians pass away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

does his son Ross have a skeletal issue or sometimg ???. from the footage of the funeral service he seems to be walking a bit odd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    does his son Ross have a skeletal issue or sometimg ???. from the footage of the funeral service he seems to be walking a bit odd

Yeah, he has some sort of mild cognitive/physical impairment as far as I know. What its exact name is, I have no idea.

Advertisement