Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin (fup it) upgrades

Options
  • 18-11-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Everytime. Drives me mad.

After the latest balls up of a 520 head unit firmware "upgrade" over the summer which wiped and reset my device and data of course, it began prompting me on start up to allow the unit to upgrade my vector 2 pedals.
    I was reluctant to let it, cos everything was working perfectly fine. So for 3 months I've been hitting cancel, but today by accident I selected "enable".

Inevitably now of course (of course!!!) the head unit cannot find the pedals. I'm getting 4 green flashes which apparently means the pedals can't locate each other.

<sigh>

Anyone already been through this boll0x that can help a brother out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Is the firmware on the Garmin up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »
    Is the firmware on the Garmin up to date?

It should be yeah, after the child-birthing saga over the summer which started the whole mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Looks like there was another update in October

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Not directly related to the OPs problem but.....

Maybe it's just me but I find the 520 to be flaky as fcuk lately. For the last few months all sorts of gremlins seem to be inside the device.

1. Inability to read the correct elevation at the start of the ride if it starts anywhere other than home where the elevation is set.
    2. Rubbish at reading speed via GPS. It instantly moves up and down +/- 3km/h for no reason. Even worse in light tree cover.
    3. LiveTrack. This seems to start before I start a ride and can sometimes drop out mid ride for no reason.
    4. Doesn't connect to my phone sometimes (although the phone may be responsible in some instances).
    5. Incident detect. WAY too sensitive. Sharp braking will set it off - regularly.
    6. It stops recording elevation gain in anything heavier than light drizzle.
    7. Dreadful battery life - barley lasted 100km with as much power saving options turned off as I could manage. This seems to have been fixed with the latest update.

Last month it stopped detecting my GSC10. While this could be a fault with the sensor, I no longer trust the 520 enough to condemn the sensor - if that makes sense.

I have the current firmware version (12.30). I find that updates fix some problems and then lead to others. Maybe I should contact Garmin, maybe I should reset the thing back to factory settings but that's just hassle.

It wrecks my head. I got a great deal on it (used from an upstanding Boardsie) and it was as good as new. It worked perfect for about 6 months and then as each update arrived, weird shít started to happen.

It wrecks my head. I'll keep using it for now but when it's time for replacement I'd be reluctant to get another Garmin. My previous Edge 200 never gave a moments hassle and my buddy is still using it without issue.

Plastik wrote: »
    Looks like there was another update in October

Thanks man. That actually sorted it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’m still running on the same firmware that came installed on mine 2 years ago. If it ain’t broke....

I’m still running on the same firmware that came installed on mine 2 years ago. If it ain’t broke....

I know yeah, you may very snared by the connectivity. Connect the Garmin to a new or old laptop and it can't find the device, so it prompts you to upgrade the express software, which then demands a device-ware upgrade, which then forces the connected sensor upgrades. And down the rabbit hole you go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ah right but I never have reason to connect it to a computer so the problem dies not arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

fat bloke wrote: »
    I know yeah, you may very snared by the connectivity. Connect the Garmin to a new or old laptop and it can't find the device, so it prompts you to upgrade the express software ...

which in turn requires a newer version of Windows which in my case requires a new computer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

crosstownk wrote: »
    Not directly related to the OPs problem but.....

Maybe it's just me but I find the 520 to be flaky as fcuk lately. For the last few months all sorts of gremlins seem to be inside the device.

1. Inability to read the correct elevation at the start of the ride if it starts anywhere other than home where the elevation is set.
    2. Rubbish at reading speed via GPS. It instantly moves up and down +/- 3km/h for no reason. Even worse in light tree cover.
    3. LiveTrack. This seems to start before I start a ride and can sometimes drop out mid ride for no reason.
    4. Doesn't connect to my phone sometimes (although the phone may be responsible in some instances).
    5. Incident detect. WAY too sensitive. Sharp braking will set it off - regularly.
    6. It stops recording elevation gain in anything heavier than light drizzle.
    7. Dreadful battery life - barley lasted 100km with as much power saving options turned off as I could manage. This seems to have been fixed with the latest update.

Last month it stopped detecting my GSC10. While this could be a fault with the sensor, I no longer trust the 520 enough to condemn the sensor - if that makes sense.

I have the current firmware version (12.30). I find that updates fix some problems and then lead to others. Maybe I should contact Garmin, maybe I should reset the thing back to factory settings but that's just hassle.

It wrecks my head. I got a great deal on it (used from an upstanding Boardsie) and it was as good as new. It worked perfect for about 6 months and then as each update arrived, weird shít started to happen.

It wrecks my head. I'll keep using it for now but when it's time for replacement I'd be reluctant to get another Garmin. My previous Edge 200 never gave a moments hassle and my buddy is still using it without issue.

Was chatting to a club mate on the spin this morning, a self confessed gadget man and he swears by his wahoo bolt, didn't get a good look at this it myself but he seems to love it and raves about the interface and setup which is all done through the phone app. I have a 520 but find myself researching this now :-).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Luxman wrote: »
    Was chatting to a club mate on the spin this morning, a self confessed gadget man and he swears by his wahoo bolt, didn't get a good look at this it myself but he seems to love it and raves about the interface and setup which is all done through the phone app. I have a 520 but find myself researching this now :-).

Yep - A Bolt would be my preferred device if I was to purchase a replacement tomorrow. The set up via the phone app sounds like a great idea rather than the hassle of using the device itself. Some great reviews of it out there although the same can be said of the Edge 520. I'll stick with the Garmin as I've better things to spend money on at the moment.

And to add to my list above, on today's spin I was climbing a short 10% hill, the Garmin was correctly showing increases in both elevation and total ascent while at the same time showing that the gradient was 0%. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I use a 500 and 510 with no issues beyond human error. I prefer to give gadgets and such a bit of time to (a) iron out the problems and (b) get cheaper.

Have a new Mio 505 to try out too though and that does all the fancy stuff that I'll never need.

Advertisement