Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange characters on screen when typing with keyboard on Macbook Pro

Options
  • 18-11-2017 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on how to fix this issue ,

Suddenly the characters coming up on the screen when typing are all weird. Like the letter l makes ~Á or some other odd nonsense symbol.

I hooked up an external keyboard and that types fine .So a hardware problem then I guess?

I fiddled with keyboard settings, language is set correctly etc .

Its a macbook pro .

Nothing was spilled on it to my knowledge .

Any Ideas ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One of the option keys are probably stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I removed both option keys ,

didn't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

There's a feature to show accent characters when you multiple type a key iirc. I get it occasionally when thinking while typing.

Actually if anyone here could do me a big favor ....

could someone with a macbook pro hold the option key and type out a few characters and then tell me what the corresponding keys are so that I can at least completely rule out a stuck option key issue ,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

qwertyuiop
    asdfghjkl
    zxcvbnm

maps to the following characters when the option key is pressed:

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπ
    åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬
    Ω≈ç√∫˜µ

• Advertisement

Cheers Mike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Any luck with this? Was it the option key?

Hi it was the option key .

i removed it myself and cleaned the area and put the key back together (for both option keys ) but it made no difference so for a while I thought it wasn't.

took it into an apple store and the technician looked at it and said it was the option key but that it couldn't be unstuck and the specific macbook was too old so parts were unavailable . He gave me a free external keyboard , that works fine , bit of an annoyance to carry around but itll keep the laptop in service a bit longer .

Thanks for all help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Which MBP is it ? Can you post "About This Mac" ?

Ken

Advertisement