Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 5T - reviews, specs and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Use fingerprint swipe app...i use it for old double tap menu to switch between apps...

I would but I hate getting apps to replicate something that's already built-in (except launchers), I have Nova Launcher installed so I tried using the gestures in that to replicate it but it just wasn't the same.

I think it's nice to have it as an option but for me it's not convenient enough to use for what I like to use my phone for so I'll stick to the tried and true method of the old nav bar.

If anyone is interested in a mint 128gb 5t with karbon case I'll be posting mine on adverts in next couple of days

How much and reason for selling and receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Pacifico wrote: »
    It's in Settings > Buttons > Navigation bar & gesture > Hide navigation bar

Fairly easy to use, complete rip off of the iPhone X though!

Oh thanks for that! Lol didn't think to look in the buttons section for gestures even though gestures has a own category.

Enabled and loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

god's toy wrote: »
    Oh thanks for that! Lol didn't think to look in the buttons section for gestures even though gestures has a own category.

Enabled and loving it!

I've also started using it and liking it so far.

Main think that was an issue at first was typing, kept missing the correct keys because the keyboard is lower than normal without the nav bar. Other than that it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

There's a bug in it -somewhere. Not sure how to recreate it, but it's happened to me a few times when I brought up the recent apps.. when I closed that page without selecting an app it left me with a kind of "shadow imprint" onscreen of one of the apps. I was able to use the OS fine, but I had to bring up the recent apps screen and select something before it would redraw the screen properly.

I'm using Nova (latest) so it might be that rather than the OP Launcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

There's a bug in it -somewhere. Not sure how to recreate it, but it's happened to me a few times when I brought up the recent apps.. when I closed that page without selecting an app it left me with a kind of "shadow imprint" onscreen of one of the apps. I was able to use the OS fine, but I had to bring up the recent apps screen and select something before it would redraw the screen properly.

I'm using Nova (latest) so it might be that rather than the OP Launcher.

Noticed that too. Not sure is it Nova or the gestures but it isn't bothering me too much.

One more thing -I've never used 'doubletap on homescreen' to split the screen before, but for the first time ever I wanted to do it yesterday & realised I have no easy way since the home button is gone. I suppose I could create a new gesture, but if a gesture requires thought it's pointless IMO (two-fingers to two-fingered gestures I say).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Can anyone recommend a good screen protector for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

The plastic one that comes pre-applied is surprisingly good but nothing beats the smoothness of glass under finger. I got a cheap tempered glass screen protector on aliexpress - it was awful. Official one is the only way to go - I got mine with referral points. An absolute b1tch to apply though - I ruined my first one so got a phone shop to apply another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just got the latest update this morning. Very slick, and the gestures actually work really well, it's nice to be able to remove the navigation bar on the bottom of the screen.

• Advertisement

I just got the latest update this morning. Very slick, and the gestures actually work really well, it's nice to be able to remove the navigation bar on the bottom of the screen.

I liked it for a few days, but when I found myself drunk and wanting to bring up the audio recording app in a hurry I couldn't get the list of installed apps to pop up no matter what I tried. Of course I may not have had a bother if I was sober (or I may have realised a video would be better anyway), but next morning I put the icons back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I liked it for a few days, but when I found myself drunk and wanting to bring up the audio recording app in a hurry I couldn't get the list of installed apps to pop up no matter what I tried. Of course I may not have had a bother if I was sober (or I may have realised a video would be better anyway), but next morning I put the icons back on.
    Start the Swipe up on the screen to get to the app draw, start off screen to send apps into the background... Ect, ect:)

deco nate wrote: »
    Start the Swipe up on the screen to get to the app draw, start off screen to send apps into the background... Ect, ect:)

Yeah I know. I just couldn't get it to work that night and couldn't think what else to do to get the apps up onscreen in my inebriated state. My point though is if you have to think "how do I do this again?" it's not intuitive enough. Drunk or sober, it needs to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Practice makes perfect. If you kept the gestures and used it for the week and the following weekend you were drunk you would have no problem using it as it would be second nature to you.

Practice makes perfect. If you kept the gestures and used it for the week and the following weekend you were drunk you would have no problem using it as it would be second nature to you.

Unfortunately this is untrue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really like the new gestures, however there are a few things I miss. I used to be able to double tab back to flip to last used app. Also double tap or hold home for voice search. Gestures is great but its quite limited with the number of things it can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Zascar wrote: »
    I really like the new gestures, however there are a few things I miss. I used to be able to double tab back to flip to last used app. Also double tap or hold home for voice search. Gestures is great but its quite limited with the number of things it can do.

Nova Launcher lets you replicate a lot of those gestures, ie double tap anywhere on the home screen to launch google assistant or launch an app and much much more.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detailsid=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en_IE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭blade1

@Zascar would you not just say ok Google for assistant?

Do people ACTUALLY talk to their phones? I find that very discomfiting to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And my TV.
    It's great to just say play Spotify and music comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Getting a pretty weird bug since the update. I'm not sure if its the phone or the twilight app but since the update sometimes if it's at night and I unlock my phone my home screen photo will be absolutely saturated in dark red. You can still see the photo it's just extremely in the red zone of colourings. And when this happens it's permanent until I set a new photo as my wallpaper. Anyone else get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Getting a pretty weird bug since the update. I'm not sure if its the phone or the twilight app but since the update sometimes if it's at night and I unlock my phone my home screen photo will be absolutely saturated in dark red. You can still see the photo it's just extremely in the red zone of colourings. And when this happens it's permanent until I set a new photo as my wallpaper. Anyone else get this?

Nothing here. Is that app just the same as night mode which is standard in Oreo? Or does it add other functionality? I'd probably uninstall and reinstall as a start.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

All the time. Way easier than typing a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

I don't see how it would be. It's useful when in the car. "Hey Google, Open Spotify"

I have two Amazon Echo's in my house and I talk to "Alexa" all the time - it's brilliant. I use it for simple things like setting a timer when cooking, quick reminder alarms, asking the date or time, or simple things like currency conversions and facts etc - its remarkably handy. I have it linked to my google tasks list so i add to-do's and reminders, and also my shopping list which syncs with my phone - this is really handy as my wife can just add to the list and I'll see it when in the supermarket. I can get her to read the news, play a radio station or any music via Spotify - every night when i sit down to dinner I saw "Alexa play some dinner music" and I get something I have never heard before - and I just say "Next track" if i want something different.. I also have it hooked up to smart devices so I can turn on and off the lights, operate the tv like volume, on/off and change channel, and even control the heating with Nest.

I know some may find it odd but talking to computers is becoming very mainstream - once you get used to it you would not want to be without it! Here is the full list of commands: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/amazon-echo-the-complete-list-of-alexa-commands/

OK, I have another question -do people ACTUALLY like using Spotify? *WORST* user-interface known to mankind.

(right -no need to respond to this one, it's way OT... just mentioned because Spotify and talking to yourself seem to go hand-in-hand. No offence. :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

do people ACTUALLY like using Spotify?

Only have it because it's free with my mobile plan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I find Spotify very easy to use? I love it.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I find Spotify very easy to use? I love it.

Can you "play one album"? ...I realise the term 'album' is probably not right, but the only thing I get in Spotofy is "Shuffle Play". I want a PLAY button -and I want it to play the next song after it next ...not anything that might be in a playlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Yeah you just find the album, turn off shuffle and play the first song. It will then play through the album.

I understand what you mean though. It can't shuffle through just one album. That never really bothers me though

Advertisement