Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 5T - reviews, specs and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I am unable to connect to my works open WIFI connection with my 5T.

When i select the hotspot it says Connecting and then says Disabled.
    My OnePlus One also had the same issue.

My laptop and other peoples phones can connect without any issues.

Its only my works Wifi. Home wifi and other hotspots work fine.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I got one of these cases and it's quality:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Oneplus-5T-Case-Ultra-Thin-TPU-Leather-Soft-Back-Phone-One-Plus-Non-Slip-Covers/112671601960?hash=item1a3bc03528:m:m0Cn6jhcMNvlsy0bWIAsrOg

Very sturdy, and thicker than the provided clear gel case provided with the phone. Impressive quality for the price. The volume switch on the side is more easily accessible than it was on the Oneplus gel case.

The battery life is insane on this lads. I've never really had a device that would last me two days, but here I am, day two with 18% left and 6 hours 20 minutes of screen on time. With an hour of playing GTA III yesterday too. There's probably another hour at least left in it before it dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The battery life is insane on this lads. I've never really had a device that would last me two days, but here I am, day two with 18% left and 6 hours 20 minutes of screen on time. With an hour of playing GTA III yesterday too. There's probably another hour at least left in it before it dies.

I got it for misses and she loves it, first android after 8 years with iphones. Battery life in it is actually mind blowing, she couldn't get over it. Her iphone 6s was pretty much landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Considering pulling the trigger on this. How is the camera performance in low light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭jamesd

Catmologen wrote: »
    Considering pulling the trigger on this. How is the camera performance in low light?

I think it's poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jamesd wrote: »
    I think it's poor.

I have to kind of agree. I have P9 and it has not the best camera, but I though my pictures look pretty damn good compared to misses 5t. I actually expected it to be way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I have to agree with the above, I'm coming from an iphone 6+ which I used for the last 3 years with 0 issues on camera quality. On this however I'm reluctant to snap many photos.

However I have heard that the Google Camera has some form of unofficial port that people are having great success with so might be worth looking into that before you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Camera is the only downside on this phone.

I have it and I love everything about it apart from the Camera.

The software by OnePlus on its camera is sub par but that being said i'm quite happy with the overall performance

I'm loving the camera on my 5T. But keep in mind I was coming from a Smart Ultra 6, which is a 2.5 year old cheap phone so the camera was never great.

The last three photos uploaded to my instagram are all from the 5T. Shot in RAW with a little messing around to make them pop. But the jpgs it took were very similar:

https://www.instagram.com/alanstrainor/

EDIT: All editing was done on the phone, so I wasn't cheating that much!

I also find the night photos to be rather good too, definitely not overly noisy in the dark. That second lens coming into play on the back.

The camera is probably not the best out there at the moment. There are plenty of threads with people complaining about it, so there must be some truth there. But as a bit of a photographer myself, I'm thoroughly enjoying the images I can get from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luckyeye

Where's the best place to pick one of these up? Directly from the Oneplus website?

Also, should I wait now for the 5t to be updated to Oreo (expected in the next month)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

luckyeye wrote: »
    Where's the best place to pick one of these up? Directly from the Oneplus website?

Also, should I wait now for the 5t to be updated to Oreo (expected in the next month)?

Yes it's best to buy directly from One Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭micks_address

luckyeye wrote: »

I bought mine from adverts.. Seller in swords.. No point waiting for oreo as you will get the update no matter when you buy. One plus website no longer accepts credit cards so you'll have to use PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Hi Folks,

Thinking of ordering one of these direct, but not held one in my hand. Is the returns policy as easy as their sites suggest if I decide I dont like the feel of it?

They are offering discounted express delivery, says I should have it by the 30th, is this normally accurate?

Thanks

The Samsung S8 is pretty close in size:

https://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-5t-vs-samsung-galaxy-s8-815278/

Your best bet is to go to a shop and hold the S8, and keep in mind that the 5T is marginally larger in width and height. But there's really not much in it.

I wouldn't want to have to deal with the hassle of sending the 5T back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Dash Power Adapter that comes in the box with the 5T... is it the UK or EU version.
    The image on the website shows the EU version :confused:

The Dash Power Adapter that comes in the box with the 5T... is it the UK or EU version.
    The image on the website shows the EU version :confused:

When your ordering you can change, but the default appears to be 3 prong UK/Ireland adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Wanton wrote: »
    When your ordering you can change, but the default appears to be 3 prong UK/Ireland adapter.

Thanks Wanton

Thanks Wanton

Sorry, I should add that was when I was specing the "OnePlus 5T Big Bold Boss Bundle"

But the fact it defaults to an "ie" page and euro pricing and the bundle defaults to a UK plug I would would assume they all default to this.

My 5T came with a UK plug. Just ordered it, didn't do any messing.

• Advertisement

My 5T came with a UK plug. Just ordered it, didn't do any messing.

What are the delivery times like? Site states I should have it by 30th if I order today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Hi Folks,

Thinking of ordering one of these direct, but not held one in my hand. Is the returns policy as easy as their sites suggest if I decide I dont like the feel of it?

They are offering discounted express delivery, says I should have it by the 30th, is this normally accurate?

Thanks

I ordered a 2 Oneplus 3's before and had to send one back and the process was very straight forward. I hadn't even opened the package, but I assume that wouldn't be a problem.

I've always found Oneplus support to be very good and helpful. I'm due to get my OP5t back tomorrow after sending it off to get the screen repaired and they were great through the whole process.

Well thats my Oneplus 5t ordered! :|

HAHA, that moment of instant buyers remorse... HAHAHA....

Well thats my Oneplus 5t ordered! :|

HAHA, that moment of instant buyers remorse... HAHAHA....

Don't be daft. It's one of the best devices out there, and for that price you can't complain. Enjoy it. It's fantastic. Still loving everything about mine.

Next thing I am wondering is will it ship with Oreo?

Next thing I am wondering is will it ship with Oreo?

Nope. Not released yet. Only the beta build is out.

Don't be daft. It's one of the best devices out there, and for that price you can't complain. Enjoy it. It's fantastic. Still loving everything about mine.

So my device is due for delivery today, but I found out over the weekend that the 5T doesnt have the required DRM for HD Netflix???? During all the reading up and video reviews I watched I never heard or seen it mentioned once :(

I will run some tests today once I receive it, but thats a big one for me :(

So my device is due for delivery today, but I found out over the weekend that the 5T doesnt have the required DRM for HD Netflix???? During all the reading up and video reviews I watched I never heard or seen it mentioned once :(

I will run some tests today once I receive it, but thats a big one for me :(

One plus have promised it's coming.. Do you watch a lot of content on your phone? The sd versus HD isn't as obvious on a small screen and actually saves battery. That being said its complete pants. If you use the phone to stream to chromecast then you get HD and 4k

One plus have promised it's coming.. Do you watch a lot of content on your phone? The sd versus HD isn't as obvious on a small screen and actually saves battery. That being said its complete pants. If you use the phone to stream to chromecast then you get HD and 4k

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/10/oneplus-5-5t-cant-play-netflix-hd-feature-will-added-point/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I was looking at buying this phone (after landing myself between the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2), but this seems to be a more reliable phone overall. OK, the camera isn't great, and I deep down would love a Pixel 2 XL, but that is certainly not happening.

You can buy the phone from overseas, such as China, Hong Kong, or the variety of websites, and they claim to have insurance, and they are fairly cheap in comparison. You know the type.
    Or, you can buy from OnePlus, officially. They offer a so-called two year warranty, but they're far more expensive.

The OnePlus website states that warranty only works in the country that it was bought in, so if I bought from Gearbest, eGlobal, on AliExpress, or similar, this means that my warranty only works in these places- leaving me in the lurch, right?
    I have looked up EU consumer law, and some Irish warranty laws, but I don't really have a leg to stand on if I am trying to get Irish/EU warranty on a product that has come in via grey markets and, er, might not get picked up by customs.

Anyone got information on this?

I've shopped for cheap phones before via China, but the warranty is negligible for the prices (<€150), but this is a device that is hardly cheap as chips.

I'd appreciate some advice and help before I go off and end up spending €560 for a phone and accessories that could be purchased cheaper elsewhere.

Advertisement