Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 5T - reviews, specs and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The screen protector that comes already on the screen... is it worth leaving on?
    I don't normally use screen protectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The screen protector that comes already on the screen... is it worth leaving on?

I would have been the same as you. I actively hated screen protectors on phones, but I've left mine on. It is still in mostly good condition, but I think I will remove eventually. I will try a tempered glass screen protector when I take it off. If that doesn't work I'll go naked :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Ionised

I will try a tempered glass screen protector when I take it off. If that doesn't work I'll go naked
    I have never been a fan but the opo one is very good. Ordered when I got the phone and very impressed two months later. Not a bubble or any sign of it lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I removed mine day 1 in favour of the tempered glass. Unfortunately I didn't get on with the tempered glass -I found it left a shadow at times across the camera sensor, which affected the display brightness (too dark/ too bright) when set to automatic. I removed and replaced this cover too many times and I ended up with bubbles and dust.

After a few days I pulled it off and have been 'naked' since. It's the only way to go! The screen is durable and has no scratches (I generally keep it in my right-hand pants pocket, which I keep otherwise empty).

The sandstone case I paid around €20 for has been equally discarded. That lasted a couple of hours at most -much too slippery. I found the transparent rubber case that comes with the 5T the best option... the extra 'bumps' on each corner of the screen protected the screen well, I believe.

But I ordered one of these cases from Aliexpress and it arrived after month or so. For the price it was worth a punt and I must say I really like it. It feels class. ...Could be the suede or slight-carpet feel of it sucks up germs and dirt like no one should have near their head, but even if I only get a few weeks out of it, tis worth it. I'll have no regrets if I have to go back to the clear rubber one with the bumps (those bumps are the one thing I miss in this case tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Got the OTA update yesterday and running 8.0 on the 5T

Still bugs me that there's no true silent mode available on the phone :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Any feedback on the 8.0 update? Is it doing anything silly with the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Got the OTA update yesterday and running 8.0 on the 5T

Still bugs me that there's no true silent mode available on the phone :confused:

Its the button on the left side is it not? That slides up and down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Wanton wrote: »
    Its the button on the left side is it not? That slides up and down?

Yeah I get the alert slider, I've my phone on vibrate the majority of the time but even when it's on do not disturb it has app sounds, no vibration/no sounds no nothing afaik it can't be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Yeah I get the alert slider, I've my phone on vibrate the majority of the time but even when it's on do not disturb it has app sounds, no vibration/no sounds no nothing afaik it can't be done?
    Put on silent and tap the settings icon?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

i wonder if anyone can tell me regarding the update! is it true that the navigation bar can no longer be hidden like before? Ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Ionised

It is not true.
    Setting to hide nav bar remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Ionised wrote: »
    It is not true.
    Setting to hide nav bar remains.
    Thanks, that oneplus forum would do your head in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Skip the tempered glass protector anyway. It simply does not fit the phone... a fraction of a mm too large on one side, means it constantly lifts and lets bubbles in.

I'm having problems with WhatsApp notifications after updating to 8.

I just want it to show the whatsapp icon in the status bar when I get a message. Just like it did before.

I dont want sounds or flashing lights and definitely no a pop up/drop down at the top of the screen.

I have tried every way I can think of, both in android and what'sap.... Can't get it to just do what I had before.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Settings - apps - WhatsApp - app notifications - message notifications toggle?

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Settings - apps - WhatsApp - app notifications - message notifications toggle?

Tried all that and more. It seems like the android settings for the app interfere with WhatsApp own settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'm assuming you have already uninstalled and reinstalled the whatsapp application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Sorry I should've tried it first myself, it's not working for me either, keeps getting undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I use Nova Launcher and can't see any difference since 'upgrading', including Whatsapp notifications. Not sure what I was expecting from 8.0 to be honest, but a quick look back at the OnePlus Launcher didn't show me any difference either.

davo2001 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have already uninstalled and reinstalled the whatsapp application?

Thanks for the suggestion but I really don't fancy going through the restore process again if I can help it.

I think the gaming do not disturb mode might work for now.

• Advertisement

I had a funny issue today. I noticed my finger print reader wasn't reading accurately. I would touch it, and it would vibrate as if it had not read correctly. Then it would unlock as normal. But this happened every time. I went into settings and removed all finger prints in settings. I tried adding them again but had issues. My solution was to clear cache for all apps and reboot. Seemed to fix it. Hopefully it's not something recurrs too often.

I had a funny issue today. I noticed my finger print reader wasn't reading accurately. I would touch it, and it would vibrate as if it had not read correctly. Then it would unlock as normal. But this happened every time. I went into settings and removed all finger prints in settings. I tried adding them again but had issues. My solution was to clear cache for all apps and reboot. Seemed to fix it. Hopefully it's not something recurrs too often.
    Did you clean the cache after updating to oreo?

deco nate wrote: »
    Did you clean the cache after updating to oreo?

No I hadn't done anything since the update, do you think that could have affected it? Working just fine. Actually ran through the self-test system which allows you to test the finger print sensor and all was fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bullet1001

I use Nova Launcher and can't see any difference since 'upgrading', including Whatsapp notifications. Not sure what I was expecting from 8.0 to be honest, but a quick look back at the OnePlus Launcher didn't show me any difference either.

Same here - I can't see any difference either, except perhaps more roundy icons, but not sure about that either! I read somewhere that OnePlus doesn't really update it to true Oreo, more of a hybrid of Nougat & Oreo. Whatever it is, it seems the same to me so far!

No I hadn't done anything since the update, do you think that could have affected it? Working just fine. Actually ran through the self-test system which allows you to test the finger print sensor and all was fine too.

It may have had something to do with it, I always clear the cache after an update. Just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭cython

Looking at picking up one of these to replace a somewhat ageing LG G3, but wondering whether any of ye that have the phone already, is it worth spending the extra on the 8GB/128GB model, given the lack of an SD slot? My G3 has 16GB and an SD card (with not much on it), so definitely don't need the 128GB storage from day one, but given that I think my current phone seems to be running low on memory at times and killing apps (e.g. Spotify crashes while browsing internet), I'm left to wonder if the extra memory might future proof the 5T a bit more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

cython wrote: »
    Looking at picking up one of these to replace a somewhat ageing LG G3, but wondering whether any of ye that have the phone already, is it worth spending the extra on the 8GB/128GB model, given the lack of an SD slot? My G3 has 16GB and an SD card (with not much on it), so definitely don't need the 128GB storage from day one, but given that I think my current phone seems to be running low on memory at times and killing apps (e.g. Spotify crashes while browsing internet), I'm left to wonder if the extra memory might future proof the 5T a bit more?

I think if the cost isn't a huge factor for you then the extra storage is worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

marko93 wrote: »
    I think if the cost isn't a huge factor for you then the extra storage is worth it in the long run.

Better to have it and not need it, than want more and have no way to get it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cython wrote: »

The 8GB RAM and 128 GB storage was a no-brainer for me when I bought my 5T a few weeks ago.
    An extra €60 when you already spending €500 is not much. It'll definitely help future-proof the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭cython

Thanks for the opinions, folks. Seems the overwhelming view is to drop the extra cash.
    marko93 wrote: »
    Have a bit extra coming in this month's pay that will cover the cost of either one, so really it's a case of how much of that I want to throw at it. At the same time I don't want to put money into a spec I won't actually get the benefit out of.
    Wanton wrote: »
    Better to have it and not need it, than want more and have no way to get it IMO.
    This is kind of what has me leaning towards the more expensive model, though I really don't see myself using the 128GB of storage, and I'd be concerned that I might change phone again before I notice the difference between 6GB and 8GB of memory!
    The 8GB RAM and 128 GB storage was a no-brainer for me when I bought my 5T a few weeks ago.
    An extra €60 when you already spending €500 is not much. It'll definitely help future-proof the phone.
    Yeah, as you say, it's only a little over 10% extra (and if buying any accessories it's probably <10% of the outlay!). As I say, the only doubt I have is of actually keeping the phone until the upgraded spec becomes really necessary for me, especially since it's essentially a 2017 spec in the 5T to a large extent, and the year lagging G3 is not ageing well for me at the moment.

Advertisement