Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 5T - reviews, specs and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

No need for the 8GB RAM and if you dont need the storage get the 64GB version. Spend the extra 60 on cases or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

cython wrote:
    This is kind of what has me leaning towards the more expensive model, though I really don't see myself using the 128GB of storage, and I'd be concerned that I might change phone again before I notice the difference between 6GB and 8GB of memory!

I have the 5T 6GB/64GB model and it had plenty of speed and storage to last a couple of years especially if you use services like Google photos and Google Drive to offload some of your less used files.

But, given that the OP6 is only 3-4 months away if I were you I would consider waiting on that instead, especially if your planning on keeping it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭cython

DanC90 wrote: »
    I have the 5T 6GB/64GB model and it had plenty of speed and storage to last a couple of years especially if you use services like Google photos and Google Drive to offload some of your less used files.

But, given that the OP6 is only 3-4 months away if I were you I would consider waiting on that instead, especially if your planning on keeping it for a while.

Yeah, I can see that point of view too, but at this point (and in particular with Oneplus, it seems) you're only ever about 6 months away from the new model in one form or another, so there'll always be the temptation to wait! I've already had to have the mainboard on the current phone replaced under warranty, and have noted a couple of random reboots again recently (may have been a precursor to said mainboard failure), hence not sure that phone will necessarily let me wait that long, and warranty has lapsed since the replacement last year.

Then there's also the part of me that wonders if Oneplus bump the price on the 6 again in line with the 5 as compared to the 3/3T (though that was a marked bump for them!), then Oneplus 6 may be less appealing there.

cython wrote:
    Yeah, I can see that point of view too, but at this point (and in particular with Oneplus, it seems) you're only ever about 6 months away from the new model in one form or another, so there'll always be the temptation to wait! I've already had to have the mainboard on the current phone replaced under warranty, and have noted a couple of random reboots again recently (may have been a precursor to said mainboard failure), hence not sure that phone will necessarily let me wait that long, and warranty has lapsed since the replacement last year.
    cython wrote:
    Then there's also the part of me that wonders if Oneplus bump the price on the 6 again in line with the 5 as compared to the 3/3T (though that was a marked bump for them!), then Oneplus 6 may be less appealing there.

Yeah I got stung with the OnePlus 3 on that front so when the 5 came out I decided to wait and see if they'd bring out a T model again which obviously they did and I'm glad I waited. In future I'll be sticking to the T models too.

Your situation is a tough one with your own phone being on the brink of death but I really would suggest waiting on the OP6, I personally think with OnePlus's 6 month schedule of releasing phones that if you know your going to upgrade the next year then it's best to buy their phone as close to release as possible, if their latest phone has been out over 3 months then wait for the next one as you'll be buying a phone that's resale value will drop in 3 months. In the mean time you could get one of the good budget phones like the Xiaomi MiA1 or Honor 7x to tide you over until a T model release.

As far as the price increase on the next model goes I'd guess it will be around 50e more than the 5T as it's rumored to be putting the fingerprint sensor under the display which tbh I'd happily pay 50e for but I can't see them charging more than 600e for the base model OP6/T (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah I got stung with the OnePlus 3 on that front so when the 5 came out I decided to wait and see if they'd bring out a T model again which obviously they did and I'm glad I waited. In future I'll be sticking to the T models too.

Your situation is a tough one with your own phone being on the brink of death but I really would suggest waiting on the OP6, I personally think with OnePlus's 6 month schedule of releasing phones that if you know your going to upgrade the next year then it's best to buy their phone as close to release as possible, if their latest phone has been out over 3 months then wait for the next one as you'll be buying a phone that's resale value will drop in 3 months. In the mean time you could get one of the good budget phones like the Xiaomi MiA1 or Honor 7x to tide you over until a T model release.

As far as the price increase on the next model goes I'd guess it will be around 50e more than the 5T as it's rumored to be putting the fingerprint sensor under the display which tbh I'd happily pay 50e for but I can't see them charging more than 600e for the base model OP6/T (fingers crossed).

Resale value is only important if you have intentions of selling the phone in the future... Unless I'm missing something?
    Resale value is not something I have ever considered when purcasing a phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had the flu over the last week, a lot of lying in bed watching shows on my phone, and general messing about. I let the battery go down to 5% or so before charging and checked how long I had the screen on before needing a charge. 9.5 hours. :eek: holy crap that's ridiculous! Managed that twice over the last week too!

Still loving my 5T. What a great buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭user1842

I would love to buy this phone if it had a 4.8in to max 5.0in screen form factor.

I seem to be the only person that likes small to medium size easy to handle phones :(

I had to sell my Oneplus 3T as it was too damn big.

Resale value is only important if you have intentions of selling the phone in the future... Unless I'm missing something? Resale value is not something I have ever considered when purcasing a phone

As I said above that, if you know you're going to be upgrading soon enough, then I'd take into consideration the resale value of the phone as most people would often sell their current phone to part fund the new one. If you know your holding onto it for a while then it's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

As I said above that, if you know you're going to be upgrading soon enough, then I'd take into consideration the resale value of the phone as most people would often sell their current phone to part fund the new one. If you know your holding onto it for a while then it's not an issue.

Yeah sorry I get the point now that you were making

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I had the flu over the last week, a lot of lying in bed watching shows on my phone, and general messing about. I let the battery go down to 5% or so before charging and checked how long I had the screen on before needing a charge. 9.5 hours. :eek: holy crap that's ridiculous! Managed that twice over the last week too!

Still loving my 5T. What a great buy.
    My longest was 7:38 with 27 per cent left

Really is a great bit of kit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

Have this phone about a week now. Really impressed with the speed.
    Previous phone was the Smart Ultra 6 which was beginning to show it's age.

One gripe is that I don't seem to be getting the great battery life like some people.
    Current screen usage is 3:14 with 20% battery left.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Have this phone about a week now. Really impressed with the speed.
    Previous phone was the Smart Ultra 6 which was beginning to show it's age.

One gripe is that I don't seem to be getting the great battery life like some people.
    Current screen usage is 3:14 with 20% battery left.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Settings -> Battery

Look in there and read the list of apps, on my device the screen is on top with the highest percentage (currently it's at 21%), with the next item being Android System 2%. If you look and there's some application sucking a huge % of your battery then that app is the cause of your battery drain.

I'm seeing Wi-Fi at 15%, Screen at 13% and Phone idle at 10%. All the rest are in single digit percentages.

I'm seeing Wi-Fi at 15%, Screen at 13% and Phone idle at 10%. All the rest are in single digit percentages.

How long between charges? Do you have the phone running for 2 days or more without charging? The high phone idle % is often due to poor network coverage, the phone is constantly hunting for better network.

It's 2d 23h 32m since last charge.

The phone idle does make sense. I'm on Virgin mobile (3 network) which is notoriously bad in my area. Only switched to get the €5 for 5 months offer.
    I'll probably switch to vodafone once the offfer is up.

Is there anything in the Wi-Fi preferences I could change that would lower the battery % against Wi-Fi?

Thanks

The phone idle does make sense. I'm on Virgin mobile (3 network) which is notoriously bad in my area. Only switched to get the €5 for 5 months offer.

Is there anything in the Wi-Fi preferences I could change that would lower the battery % against Wi-Fi?

Thanks

When I was saying I had 9.5 hours, that was over the course of one day. Three days running is a long time, and you should expect the high numbers you see in your battery section. You could turn your WiFi off when not in use, but tbh I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with your battery life so :D

I'm definitely not complaining about 3 days plus between charges. :)

Was just hoping for more screen on time...

I'm definitely not complaining about 3 days plus between charges. :)

Was just hoping for more screen on time...

You'll just have to stare at your screen more often so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

user1842 wrote: »
    I would love to buy this phone if it had a 4.8in to max 5.0in screen form factor.

I seem to be the only person that likes small to medium size easy to handle phones :(

I had to sell my Oneplus 3T as it was too damn big.

I could never go back to a screen smaller than 5.5". All my phones since the Samsung Galaxy Note II have been 5.5".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭user1842

I could never go back to a screen smaller than 5.5". All my phones since the Samsung Galaxy Note II have been 5.5".

I know, I seem to be in total minority in wanting a small/medium sized good android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I know, I seem to be in total minority in wanting a small/medium sized good android phone.

Nope, not at all. I think my Samsung S5 was the ideal size.... but I just couldn't find the spec phone I wanted without going to this size phone, so 5T it was.

Havent regretted it yet, although it is a dust magnet and I need to get a new screen protector soon as this one is already scratched to bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Xperia ZX2 Compact will be FHD+ (2160 x 1080) screen will only measure 5 inches. plus all the stuff that's hot right now in any flagship.

... but no 3.5mm headphone jack

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Oneplus have announced they have a fix to allow HD video for Netflix etc...

One minor issue (and have found 2 sources confirming...) you need to send your device back to Oneplus...

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/important-oneplus-5t-does-not-support-hd-viewing-for-netflix-google-play-movies-etc.704333/page-23

Apparently they need to plug the device into a "authorised" PC and garuntee to have the device returned within 5 days of receipt... so thats 10 days really you wil have to be without your phone, assuming you even get your own phone back.

If they are anything like DJI and their drones, they will just send you back something random and say that it just need to be in similar condition to you own device.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wanton wrote: »
    Oneplus have announced they have a fix to allow HD video for Netflix etc...

One minor issue (and have found 2 sources confirming...) you need to send your device back to Oneplus...

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/important-oneplus-5t-does-not-support-hd-viewing-for-netflix-google-play-movies-etc.704333/page-23

Apparently they need to plug the device into a "authorised" PC and garuntee to have the device returned within 5 days of receipt... so thats 10 days really you wil have to be without your phone, assuming you even get your own phone back.

If they are anything like DJI and their drones, they will just send you back something random and say that it just need to be in similar condition to you own device.
    You need to return the device? Seems ridiculous

You need to return the device? Seems ridiculous

It's laughable really. Exactly how you expect OnePlus to solve this issue. They should never have even bothered announcing it if this was their way of giving the fix.

I did some reading on it, and there are reasons they can't do this OTA. But fook that, what a joke. Send your device off for 2 weeks at best, and hope the one you receive back is actually yours! And it will be wiped completely, so you'd have to start from scratch. God damn it OnePlus, you really are the dumbest smart phone company out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It really is laughable.

In India they have some repair stores you can bring your phone to, don't know if they are doing it over here.it really is crazy.

No way am I sending my phone back, if they used a repair service over here to update I'd pop in for the half hour an wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

It's laughable indeed, are we protected by any consumer law here? Can we claim for a compensation?
    Who on earth will send their own device to receive another used phone that could be half destroyed??!! This is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭micks_address

alwald wrote: »
    It's laughable indeed, are we protected by any consumer law here? Can we claim for a compensation?
    Who on earth will send their own device to receive another used phone that could be half destroyed??!! This is a joke.

My bet they pay a cost per install so they are banking on very few people bothering sending back their device for the update. I wish I'd just bought a pixel 2 xl..

Advertisement