Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 5T - reviews, specs and discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I'm sure it's free, just don't know why it wasn't included in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I wonder if OP5T's bought now would have that problem fixed or would they also need to be sent back?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I wonder if OP5T's bought now would have that problem fixed or would they also need to be sent back?

I think anything for the next few weeks (depending on what their stock turn around is like) will still most likely need to be sent back. These devices would have been built weeks or months ago.

I dont expect much luck, but I am going to try play hardball with them and threaten them with consumer law.

The clearly advertised the fantastic HD screen and all the great things it could do, but made no indication there was any limitations attached. You would have a strong case I would think as Netflix is not some barely known service etc, they should have called it out on their website as something that wasnt currently supported. This would of course led to lower sales. We were misled and miss-sold these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Ionised

Perhaps I am a lone voice here but is not having Netflix in HD such a dealbreaker and worthy of a cry for 'compensation' ?

As far as I am aware this issue is not new and has been present through the previous OnePlus devices.

I am very happy with my 5T and with 4k Netflix on my LG TV.

• Advertisement

Ionised wrote: »
    Perhaps I am a lone voice here but is not having Netflix in HD such a dealbreaker and worthy of a cry for 'compensation' ?

As far as I am aware this issue is not new and has been present through the previous OnePlus devices.

I am very happy with my 5T and with 4k Netflix on my LG TV.

Yes. I watch most of my shows on my phone and want to do it legally. You can really notice it watching something like Altered Carbon.

I am not looking for compensation, I am happy to accept a replacement device. I think its entirely unacceptable that they expect their customers to send their device back for probably up to 2 weeks.

It drives me even more demented when they thank anyone who complains "for their support and understanding".

As I said on twitter, without response of course, no one supports or understands their half baked attempt at resolving this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Wanton wrote:
    I dont expect much luck, but I am going to try play hardball with them and threaten them with consumer law.

I agree with you and I want to do the same mainly because their solution is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Could they not just release a program for Mac & Windows so we can do it ourselves? I'm sure all their "Authorised" PC is doing is running a script to install and enable HD playback.

DanC90 wrote: »
    Could they not just release a program for Mac & Windows so we can do it ourselves? I'm sure all their "Authorised" PC is doing is running a script to install and enable HD playback.

They issue there would be any extra info/tools that are provided to the outside world might then be reverse engineered and potentially used to circumvent the DRM controls entirely.

New update in the wild.
    Just a couple of bug fixes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Bullet1001

My bet they pay a cost per install so they are banking on very few people bothering sending back their device for the update. I wish I'd just bought a pixel 2 xl..

I hate to break it to you, but a Pixel 2 might not be much better. Amazon support only a few Android phones in HD (https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201460880)
    and NetFlix, while much better, only appears to support the original Pixel! (see https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23939#netflix-in-hd3). According to a post I read elsewhere, this daft situation is not just OnePlus' fault, but a more general problem with phone makers and content providers too.

Like most people, I would have assumed that HD streaming was a given, but apparently, this is far from the case on Android phones. Luckily, I don't use these services, so not affected, but I can see how it could be a bummer for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I am in the process of returning mine for the Netflix HD fix - I'd better get the same undamaged phone back! Luckily I haven't sold my 3t yet and it still has my account on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Does anyone know how to get the phone to recognise the SIM 2 phone number? I can't seem to input it manually either.

See pic for what I mean:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NFsWZYIFinWQ3Kr53

I have just installed the pixel cam app and I have to say its a big improvement in photos.
    Slow mo doesn't work on it, and if you turn off hdr the app will crash.
    When setting it up the screen will be black.

You have to go into settings and turn off hdr on front camera and restart the app. (also in settings set hdr+ to very high)

If you want to use slow mode just use the oneplus camera.

Unrooted
    Look for this apk....

GoogleCamera-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V7beta-test-6_1 (Arnova8G2, 2018-03-08, changelog)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭micks_address

deco nate wrote: »
    I have just installed the pixel cam app and I have to say its a big improvement in photos.
    Slow mo doesn't work on it, and if you turn off hdr the app will crash.
    When setting it up the screen will be black.

You have to go into settings and turn off hdr on front camera and restart the app. (also in settings set hdr+ to very high)

If you want to use slow mode just use the oneplus camera.

Unrooted
    Look for this apk....

GoogleCamera-Pixel2Mod-Arnova8G2-V7beta-test-6_1 (Arnova8G2, 2018-03-08, changelog)

Any chance of link to apk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anybody else having issues with WhatsApp Web? Just frequent disconnects. It always reconnects after a few minutes but it's very annoying having to unlock the phone for messages to send when you want them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Are you on a work network? I used to have that issue in my last job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Are you on a work network? I used to have that issue in my last job

No it happens at home.

Strangely enough it actually doesn't happen at work. Works fine in work when my phone is on mobile data.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I am in the process of returning mine for the Netflix HD fix - I'd better get the same undamaged phone back! Luckily I haven't sold my 3t yet and it still has my account on it.

Got it back yesterday. Undamaged and still with skin on and cheapo aliexpress tempered glass screen protector intact. Update successfully applied too.

2zguosz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Cant say i noticed that Netflix wasn't in HD on the phone!

Got it back yesterday. Undamaged and still with skin on and cheapo aliexpress tempered glass screen protector intact. Update successfully applied too.

2zguosz.jpg

How long from postage till you had back in your hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Do you get any free covers in the box with this?

max life wrote: »
    Do you get any free covers in the box with this?

Yes clear tpu cover in box

Yes clear tpu cover in box

how long from collection to return?

thanks

Wanton wrote: »

thanks

Don't know.. I thought you asking if phone comes with cover

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Seeing lots of rumours of what the OnePlus 6 is going to look like:

r15.0.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/19/17140310/oneplus-6-specs-release-date-look-notch-oppo-r15-dream-mirror

I think I'm glad I went with the 5T, the notch is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't mind the notch. It's the current trend atm. If it will stay though is another thing.

Wanton wrote: »

thanks

I'll check later but I think it was 7 days L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

If they use it for notification icons on either side of the notch it wouldn't be too bad, I reckon. Depends how it looks in use.

Advertisement