Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oneplus 5T - reviews, specs and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭micks_address

alwald wrote: »
    How much an immaculate second hand 5T will fetch in say 7 months time (just before the release of the 6T)? a well maintained phone without a single scratch.

I bought the 5 last summer for 480 pretty much brand new.. Had been used for few days 128gb. I added a skin and screen protector and RhinoShield bumper and sold lot for 450 when 5t came out.. Bought 5t for 550 128gb added karbon bumper case so cost be about 120 to change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

5T 128GB edition seems to be sold out, so between that and the complete absence of stock in the US I'd be expecting the 6 to drop soon enough. Oneplus also had a promo clip for the 6 on Facebook today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hate to say this but: Think i'm about done with Oneplus.

That notch may be a step too far for me... Next they will get rid of the headphone jack and call that 'progress' too while still saying it's the 'Elite phone for the tech heads' or something 'Flagship Killer' sounding bull-crap (Without actually saying the words Flagship Killer) But then again, if all higher end spec phones go this way too I/we may not have a choice anymore as who's left?. now that most if not all phones come from the land that loves to copy crapple..... NOW that really bums me out. :o PLEASE Nokia, DONT go there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm glad I got the OP5T a few weeks ago. There's no way I'd get a phone with a notch on the screen. They look ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

god's toy wrote: »
    Hate to say this but: Think i'm about done with Oneplus.

That notch may be a step too far for me... Next they will get rid of the headphone jack and call that 'progress' too while still saying it's the 'Elite phone for the tech heads' or something 'Flagship Killer' sounding bull-crap (Without actually saying the words Flagship Killer) But then again, if all higher end spec phones go this way too I/we may not have a choice anymore as who's left?. now that most if not all phones come from the land that loves to copy crapple..... NOW that really bums me out. :o PLEASE Nokia, DONT go there!

It's not surprising that the OP6 has the notch. It's the trend at the moment. Copying the IPhone X. The OnePlus 5 copied a lot from the IPhone 7 plus design at the time. The 5T took the Samsung S8 long screen trend. It's entirely predictable tbh. I wouldn't think they will get rid of the headphone jack, at least not until Samsung does. Then they will follow through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Wait for the 6t,it will be gone by then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Reviews of phones with notches that I've seen (well, the new Huweai at least) has an option to make the notch invisible. This shuts down the pixels either side of the notch, making it all look like a 'normal' black bar on top.

I don't think the notch would be a big intrusion for any phone with this option -at least it's not an "automatic no". Let's see how it looks before judging, is what I say.

That said, in the feedback OnePlus received from their customer surveys on 5s and 5Ts, I find it difficult to believe anybody asked them to add a notch. :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

That said, in the feedback OnePlus received from their customer surveys on 5s and 5Ts, I find it difficult to believe anybody asked them to add a notch.

They inherited the notch from OPPO....same display would be used apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Can't wait to get the 6. Then get mad a few weeks later when they announce the T.

After a lot of people moaning about the notch, oneplus have confirmed a software update after the release of the 6...
    Dont think the notch fad will last long myself.

deco nate wrote:
    After a lot of people moaning about the notch, oneplus have confirmed a software update after the release of the 6... Dont think the notch fad will last long myself.

Ther is an app already on xda/play store which can get rid of notch by populating rest of screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Chillah

Ordered my oneplus 5t on the official site, standard delivery estimated arrival was the same day as paid delivery so just went with standard, more then a day later and its still "processing order". Anyone have difficulties getting it delivered and how long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Can anyone recommend an armband suitable for the 5T (for use while running etc.).

I've done a quick search on Amazon and most of those claiming to be suitable for the 5T get very mixed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Could anyone tell me why boards keeps my screen awake after I leave my phone down.
    I't doesn't seem to happen on any other website.
    I use the boards full website.
    I've woken up a few mornings with the screen still on and battery having drained by about 60%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That's strange. I just tried mine and the screen went blank after 2 minutes as expected.

blade1 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me why boards keeps my screen awake after I leave my phone down.
    I't doesn't seem to happen on any other website.
    I use the boards full website.
    I've woken up a few mornings with the screen still on and battery having drained by about 60%.

What browser are you using? I had a issue recently with Opera keeping the screen on. I fixed it by doing the following. Press and hold the app icon -> Click App Info -> Scroll to 'Advanced' -> Uncheck the 'Draw over other apps' setting.

This setting allows the behaviour you mention. It is possible on other browsers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What browser are you using? I had a issue recently with Opera keeping the screen on. I fixed it by doing the following. Press and hold the app icon -> Click App Info -> Scroll to 'Advanced' -> Uncheck the 'Draw over other apps' setting.

This setting allows the behaviour you mention. It is possible on other browsers too.

Thanks that might have done it Alan.
    It's Google Chrome but for some reason it's slightly different to the the way you explained.
    When I got to draw over apps,a list of apps came up and I then had to uncheck them one by one.
    Screen has gone to sleep there 4 times in a row so fingers crossed.
    Will I need any of the apps I unchecked?
    Not sure how important drawing over apps is.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Thanks that might have done it Alan.
    It's Google Chrome but for some reason it's slightly different to the the way you explained.
    When I got to draw over apps,a list of apps came up and I then had to uncheck them one by one.
    Screen has gone to sleep there 4 times in a row so fingers crossed.
    Will I need any of the apps I unchecked?
    Not sure how important drawing over apps is.

I would leave android system 'apps' with that permission on if there were any in your list. As for its use case, one would be an app that applies a filter to your screen (such as a night time filter which turns the screen slightly yellow). Most applications should not need this permission, and I am not sure why browsers would have it.

After disabling this option on Opera i have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭micks_address

If anyone is interested in a mint 128gb 5t with karbon case I'll be posting mine on adverts in next couple of days

OS update out now. Oxygen 5.1.0

I just updated and came to post the same. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Any difference spotted yet?

Navigation gestures r awesome....love it...no need of on screen navigation buttons now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Navigation gestures r awesome....love it...no need of on screen navigation buttons now !!

I kind of like them, I like the visual effect of not having the nav bar and the gestures work well but I find it much slower than using the nav bar, I love using a double tap of the recent apps button to jump between my last used apps and a long press of the home button for Google Assistant and I just couldn't replicate that ease of use without the nav bar so I've reverted back to using the nav bar.
    I'm sure there's plenty who will like it though and I'd suggest at least trying it out.

Any difference spotted yet?

Not much in the way of differences, however it could be just me as I cant find the option for the full screen gestures people are talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Not much in the way of differences, however it could be just me as I cant find the option for the full screen gestures people are talking about!

It's in Settings > Buttons > Navigation bar & gesture > Hide navigation bar

Fairly easy to use, complete rip off of the iPhone X though!

• Advertisement

DanC90 wrote:
    I kind of like them, I like the visual effect of not having the nav bar and the gestures work well but I find it much slower than using the nav bar, I love using a double tap of the recent apps button to jump between my last used apps and a long press of the home button for Google Assistant and I just couldn't replicate that ease of use without the nav bar so I've reverted back to using the nav bar. I'm sure there's plenty who will like it though and I'd suggest at least trying it out.

Use fingerprint swipe app...i use it for old double tap menu to switch between apps...

Advertisement