Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcatel 6" Mobile phone for €50 (with trade in) Pre-Pay - Tesco Mobile

Options
  • 18-11-2017 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Tesco Mobile are doing the Alcatel A3 XL 6" phone for 99euro on pre-pay then after you bought it, keep your receipt and request a claim form and trade in a (working) mobile phone and you get a refund. So it makes the phone only €50!!

Its not a bad phone for the money either.

Nice 6" Screen (IPS - your not going to get AMOLED for this price)
    Mediatek 4core 1.2ghz (again your not really gonna get a snapdragon octacore)

Latest Android 7.0 Nougat installed right out of the box (that's impressive!)

The rear camera pretty decent for a budget phone (well at its best in good light - a bit of grain in low light) - its 8 or 13mp (which makes me think its really 8mp but interpolated to 13mp, I might be wrong) - but the built in alcatel camera app has manual settings but not only that, and I have never seen this before on a budget phone (even more expensive ones) you can actually slide a setting in the manual camera app to manually focus near or far objects! (along with all the usual macro etc)

The back feels very plastic (and cheap) - but a neoprene rubber aftermarket case will sort this.

Speaker nice and loud (if not a bit tinny)

Front flash , not brilliant but its there , can also download front and back flash from google play and turn the front flash into a flashing missed notification LED

Yes on the whole a good kit for a budget phone - in black only I think from Tesco mobile, however on Alcatel website I have seen this phone in White with pink on the surround (would be a hit with the ladies ... or is that sexist these days to say that :) )

Alcatel-A3-XL_Front.jpg

ALCATEL A3 XL @ TESCO MOBILE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

here is point 10 about the type of phone you have to trade in to get your €50 back. I wonder what they do with the traded in phones?

For your Trade-In Device to qualify for the Promotion, it must be a working, complete and undamaged (reasonable wear and tear accepted) Smartphone or feature phone. You must be the rightful owner and the it must be free of any contractual obligations such as leasing agreements or contracts. All accounts must be removed, your device must power on, have no water or screen damage and a working battery must be included. Your device must be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

where do you get the claim form from?

casio4 wrote: »
    where do you get the claim form from?

online from https://alcateloffers.com/ie/en/claims/aseries-tradein/get-started

• Advertisement

well I was drawn to this phone when i went to ASDA up in Enniskillen on halloween and i see it in there for £114.99 (works out to 128.81euro) admittedly though it is unlocked to any network the one in ASDA.

I was already on Tesco Mobile anyway so when i heard that it was lowered to 99euro prepay and only 50eur with trade in I thought why not. I really was expecting it to be cheap and nasty for the price but its got a lot of things going for it. - Had a couple of alcatel phones years ago and there were a pile of crap to be totally honest - maybe they have upped their game recently on these new ones.

This would be a killer if it had octacore snapdragon with AMOLED screen and 13mp real rear camera - love the size of the 6" screen (but then thats because as I am getting older me eyes are getting shot and I cannot see the text on small screens of 5" and under)

Hi

Did anyone tried to claim already ?

I purchased this phone on Monday, received today and tried to claim but I can't.

It says that 20 of November isn't in promotion period but in t&c it says:

Terms & Conditions
    Promotion Period
    The Promotion will commence at 00:01 (GMT) on 1st October 2017 and shall close at 23:59 (GMT) on 31st December 2017 (“Promotion Period”).

I tried to contact with alcatel via contact us but it always fails with some issues with form.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Hi

Did anyone tried to claim already ?

I purchased this phone on Monday, received today and tried to claim but I can't.

It says that 20 of November isn't in promotion period but in t&c it says:

Terms & Conditions
    Promotion Period
    The Promotion will commence at 00:01 (GMT) on 1st October 2017 and shall close at 23:59 (GMT) on 31st December 2017 (“Promotion Period”).

I tried to contact with alcatel via contact us but it always fails with some issues with form.

Tom

It says in the T&C's you must wait 30 days from the date of purchase to make the claim. I take it that is so you cant make a claim and bring the phone back

D'oh !

full

I'm the one who never read instruction.

Thanks

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭clairek6

Not sure if I'm reading it wrong. Can I return an alacatel pop 4 I bought in August in Tesco and get €50 cash back?

• Advertisement

clairek6 wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm reading it wrong. Can I return an alacatel pop 4 I bought in August in Tesco and get €50 cash back?

no, because the offer only is for A3 XL and other qualifying handsets purchased in November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Tesco Mobile are doing the Alcatel A3 XL 6" phone for 99euro on pre-pay then after you bought it, keep your receipt and request a claim form and trade in a (working) mobile phone and you get a refund. So it makes the phone only €50!!

Its not a bad phone for the money either.

Nice 6" Screen (IPS - your not going to get AMOLED for this price)
    Mediatek 4core 1.2ghz (again your not really gonna get a snapdragon octacore)

Latest Android 7.0 Nougat installed right out of the box (that's impressive!)

The rear camera pretty decent for a budget phone (well at its best in good light - a bit of grain in low light) - its 8 or 13mp (which makes me think its really 8mp but interpolated to 13mp, I might be wrong) - but the built in alcatel camera app has manual settings but not only that, and I have never seen this before on a budget phone (even more expensive ones) you can actually slide a setting in the manual camera app to manually focus near or far objects! (along with all the usual macro etc)

The back feels very plastic (and cheap) - but a neoprene rubber aftermarket case will sort this.

Speaker nice and loud (if not a bit tinny)

Front flash , not brilliant but its there , can also download front and back flash from google play and turn the front flash into a flashing missed notification LED

Yes on the whole a good kit for a budget phone - in black only I think from Tesco mobile, however on Alcatel website I have seen this phone in White with pink on the surround (would be a hit with the ladies ... or is that sexist these days to say that :) )

Alcatel-A3-XL_Front.jpg

ALCATEL A3 XL @ TESCO MOBILE

Got this yesterday as a replacement for my spare galaxy fame :). It's more than decent for the money. Got it for € 88, used the € 12 off Voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

looks good, had alcatel phones before and no problems. And I have an original HTC Hero still working i can trade in..bit of history that ;)

my current phone is the 20 euro special I got for 12 euro off here, Huawei y3 with 512 ram, so this will be propa luxury!

where do you get the €12 off voucher???

looks good, had alcatel phones before and no problems. And I have an original HTC Hero still working i can trade in..bit of history that ;)

my current phone is the 20 euro special I got for 12 euro off here, Huawei y3 with 512 ram, so this will be propa luxury!

where do you get the €12 off voucher???

Hero :eek: that must be a decade old now :D

I got those Vouchers in their Quarterly Club Card statement in the post, € 12 off when you spend € 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

clairek6 wrote: »

I think Andy is wrong. You may not be able to trade in your Pop 4 directly to Tesco, but if you go via the link to Alcatel above you should be good to go.

I think Andy is wrong. You may not be able to trade in your Pop 4 directly to Tesco, but if you go via the link to Alcatel above you should be good to go.

Sorry if i got it wrong, yep i just read the Tesco rulesthats how i c

Has anybody made the claim yet?

I just lodged my claim...you need to upload receipt plus you need IMEI number of the Alcatel phone and IMEI number of the Phone you are trading In.

I have been approved for a trade in, just got to post my trade in phone back to them - im getting Christmas over first . think I have 30 days to post it to them ... then i think they will just refund 50eur on my credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That link is very limited in the way it works.You answer 3 questions on that page and hit Next. By doing so, you are now redirected to to the gb site. This is where I encountered issues.

1 The Financial details accept £ denominations only.
    2 The gb site does not recognise Irish postcodes.
    3 Irish bank details are not accepted. They do not use the SEPA system, which is wrong.

My Trade-in claim has been accepted and have been sent a pre-paid Label to post the trade-in device.

Can't remember having any trouble, for Bank details it did ask IBAN and Swift code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

That link is very limited in the way it works.You answer 3 questions on that page and hit Next. By doing so, you are now redirected to to the gb site. This is where I encountered issues.

1 The Financial details accept £ denominations only.
    2 The gb site does not recognise Irish postcodes.
    3 Irish bank details are not accepted. They do not use the SEPA system, which is wrong.

There is an option to select UK or ROI also and this defaults to Local settings. You may not have noticed it on the initial screen.

My Trade-in claim has been accepted and have been sent a pre-paid Label to post the trade-in device.

Can't remember having any trouble, for Bank details it did ask IBAN and Swift code.

i dont appear to have received a pre-paid label yet ... i must chase that up, my claim has been accepted. do you have to print up the return label or do they send you one in the post? - do they sand jiffy/padded bag as well to you or do you have to get thsat yourself?

Shame, they didnt make it easier like if your refund is accepted by them then you can simply return it to the store you bought the Alcatel handset from ... in my case Tesco

i dont appear to have received a pre-paid label yet ... i must chase that up, my claim has been accepted. do you have to print up the return label or do they send you one in the post? - do they sand jiffy/padded bag as well to you or do you have to get thsat yourself?

Shame, they didnt make it easier like if your refund is accepted by them then you can simply return it to the store you bought the Alcatel handset from ... in my case Tesco

Yeah that would have been dead handy.

You'll get an email to confirm they've accepted your claim and a link from where you have to print the label...Also No Jiffy bag, we have to arrange it ourselves.

Yeah that would have been dead handy.

You'll get an email to confirm they've accepted your claim and a link from where you have to print the label...Also No Jiffy bag, we have to arrange it ourselves.

ah right thanks

Oh bloody hell what with Christmas and whatever I never did get around to posting my handset in for the trade in. It got approved etc with a claim number and everything but I just was going to print out the return label and noticed that my 45days for returning the phone is Thursday 25th Jan 2018 and Today is Tuesday 23rd Jan 2018 - so it looks like I have **** out on getting my 50euro cash back .

I phoned the number 1800 817 395 and it diverted to a rather stern Liverpudlian woman who was offish from the start and i said to her I know it was my fault but I was wondering just as a one off if they could still honour my trade in but no joy, she said they werent allowed to override the offer from Alcatel or they would all lose their jobs :rolleyes:. she said the phones go to a recycling centre in Germany, so i said well if I post it today its not going to get to Germany by Thursday.

She told me to write to Alcatel customer support instead so I am trying that , not hopeful though. Could kick myself for not posting it back sooner, but on the other hand I wish they would have made things easier and let you return your handset , once the claim has been approved, back to the place of purchase where you purchased the A3 XL (which in my case was tesco)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If you're done with the old phone and it has no real resale value(?), what's the harm in posting it today anyway and hoping for the best. Further delaying posting it will not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

post to where? You can get next day delivery in ireland pretty cheap

sweetie wrote: »
    post to where? You can get next day delivery in ireland pretty cheap

It has to be posted to Germany, which I don't think would be cheap.

Quackster wrote: »
    If you're done with the old phone and it has no real resale value(?), what's the harm in posting it today anyway and hoping for the best. Further delaying posting it will not help.

yeah thats right, thats what I have done - they can only say yay or nay .. hopefully they will honour it, that would be nice - if not its still a good phone for 99euro as opposed to 50euro

• Advertisement

It has to be posted to Germany, which I don't think would be cheap.

yes, Germany was on the label

Advertisement