Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SRAM Red brake setup

Options
  • 18-11-2017 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Hi folks....

I find that I regularly have to adjust my SRAM red brakes; they tend to shift sideways a bit, so that one block is engaged and one is not, even when I'm not pulling the brake lever.

I can fix this by (a) loosening the cable (but this leads to more travel on the lever than I'd like), or (b) moving the whole brake assembly relative to the frame. (b) needs me to use a size 13 spanner (cone spanner is ideal) to just tweak the square-section rod that joins the brake to the frame. This can be tedious if I don't have a cone spanner about my person. Having done (b), the brakes are fine until the next time, which is usually within a couple of rides.

When I set the brakes up, they're pretty much symmetric and both blocks are free of the rims.

Does anyone else have this issue? Am I missing some crucial point? On non-sram brakes, you can just manually twist the whole brake assembly, to tweak it a mm or two...but the SRAM one is on a spring, and so just bounces back.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

This any help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCM8ngEwho

Watch to the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Eamonnator wrote: »
    This any help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiCM8ngEwho

Watch to the end!

Thanks, Eamonnator. I did watch this before posting. All I got from it was that, maybe, the length of the cable housing is critical. This seems really odd - surely a too-long cable housing simply uses more cable, but doesn't push or pull the brakes? That said, I can imagine that a too-short cable housing might not leave enough flexibility... And how am I meant to know how long is too long? The video shows them measuring to make sure it's long enough for a radical turn of the bars, but that's pretty long, and not very precise....

Advertisement