Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Fiji match thread

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

It's difficult to not read when you keep quoting.

Funnily enough, I find quoting the other way around is the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It's difficult to not read when you keep quoting.

Eh Carte Blanche ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Eh Carte Blanche ?

One pic of Hayes every day please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Not really surprised with Farrell preformance yesterday from what I've seen of him all year. He's capped now and people like Marty Moore can see coming home means you're straight in with a chance. I'd have loved to see Farrell play outside olding, that combination could have worked. Don't think Farrell suits many other of the Irish options. He won't get picked at 6 nations time if ringrose or Payne is back. All he needs to do now his put his head down get going at munster like he was in France and then see come summer tour where he's at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Anybody that's watched Munster this season will realise that Farrell is not international standard. At least his performance last night will shut up those calling for his inclusion and he we didn't risk him in a bigger game.

MikeSD wrote: »
    Anybody that's watched Munster this season will realise that Farrell is not international standard. At least his performance last night will shut up those calling for his inclusion and he we didn't risk him in a bigger game.

Hahaha....
    Thanks for that, who needs Al Porter!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Hahaha....
    Thanks for that, who needs Al Porter!?

Apologies Don. Didn't realise this was a country club.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Not sure why Farrell is drawing so much ire, he had an ok game yesterday, certainly better than others, had a lovely wrap around with Carbery in the first half where Carbery pinned Fiji down in the corner. He’s 6”4 and 17st, carries the ball in 2 hands with decent footwork and can pass the ball, still only 24 so I can see why Schmidt is interested in him. My only gripe with him would be that he doesnt carry the ball aggressively enough. He’s made a lot of errors this season but I’d expect him to iron them out of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

... lads. It was his debut, ffs. He may not have been great, but let's keep a bit of perspective here.

It was only McCloskey's second game too though, which is who I was judging him against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Aki plays one game and is now the first name on the team sheet for the rest of his career. Farrell plays one game an should never be seen again. It might be worth giving players just a smidgin more time to prove themselves!

On here? God no. McCloskey played 40 mins against England in Twickenham (solid enough nothing great but nothing awful) and there were posters saying he shouldn't be near an ireland team again!!

Maybe give a few of the new lads a break and let them find their feet. If they're being picked by JS for an irish squad and making the team it's fair to say that they must be useful enough on a rugby pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

So one match is the yardstick on here now for a 24 year old on his first cap in a new backline, gas

leakyboots wrote: »
    So one match is the yardstick on here now for a 24 year old on his first cap in a new backline, gas

You can't blame them...took them a long time after Joe did to realise that Felix Jones is God

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I thought him and McCloskey were a much of muchness, bit too similar in style. Farrell showed lovely hands a couple of times, couple of half breaks, made his tackles from what I can remember. I'd have to watch the match back again (which I have zero intention of doing :) )

To my mind, Carberry never got the backline firing, most his highlight reel was individual brilliance. Then again the back five in the pack weren't exactly giving us great ball. It was just a scrappy day at the office all round.

Either way, I wouldn't be going so far as to say CF doesn't belong at this level or shouldn't be allowed pull on the jersey again - there's the makings of a serious player in there, give him time

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea McCloskey and Farrell is not a great duo IMO, too much bosh not enough guile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Farrell won't make the Six Nations squad ahead of any of Ringrose, Henshaw, Aki, McCloskey and Payne. Now that Carbery's out too, Scannell and Hanrahan as possible 10/12s are now suddenly much more viable options too.

After that, we'll see what he can do for Munster in the latter stages of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Think moving Porter to 3 has massively slowed his growth, the change has even caused him to gain bodyweight and lose his mobility which is now effecting his workrate and carrying game on the pitch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Think moving Porter to 3 has massively slowed his growth, the change has even caused him to gain bodyweight and lose his mobility which is now effecting his workrate and carrying game on the pitch

Porter is lighter now than when he was at under-20 level.

his work rate and carrying game is less effective now due to the greater demand placed on him in the scrum and him playing at the top level of the game.

I wonder will Chris Farrell be the new Felix Jones /Dave Kearney /Fergus McFadden that schmidt will continue to pick much to our bemusement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭LostArt

God I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder will Chris Farrell be the new Felix Jones /Dave Kearney /Fergus McFadden that schmidt will continue to pick much to our bemusement

I think Schmidt sees Farrell as 5th choice centre (behind Ringrose, Henshaw Aki McCloskey)

Personally I would see him as 6th choice and put Scannell ahead of him too.

Either way Joe decided to rest the starting centres for Fiji so the 5th choice featured. I don't see him threatening the squad too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Lots of poor performances there on Saturday. I was very disappointed with Marmion and Murphy, Marmion's poor decision making and/or delivery didn't help the backs shine. I thought Farrell and McCloskey are too similar and of the two I thought McCloskey had a better game. It was big ask for Carbery to come into an International Game to play outhalf when playing the majority of his game at FB but he did well, started very well but faded a bit in the 2nd half, I hope his injury is not as serious as it first looked.

Keatley and Healy did very well on coming off the bench and were probably the difference between winning and losing.

I think Schmidt sees Farrell as 5th choice centre (behind Ringrose, Henshaw Aki McCloskey)

Personally I would see him as 6th choice and put Scannell ahead of him too.

Either way Joe decided to rest the starting centres for Fiji so the 5th choice featured. I don't see him threatening the squad too much.

He seems to be an outside centre though so himself and Scannell I'm not sure are in direct competition for a place.

I certainly think Scannell is a very good player, was surprised he wasn't in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That would be awesome. Some people's heads would explode as they try to explain why "uncle Joe" :rolleyes: is picking a player who has no ties to Leinster and who a lot of people think is quite average. It would be funny to watch the goal posts get moved all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He seems to be an outside centre though so himself and Scannell I'm not sure are in direct competition for a place.

I certainly think Scannell is a very good player, was surprised he wasn't in the squad.

My counter argument would be that a lot of the centres ahead of Scannell and Farrell can play at both 12 or 13. If you can fit four centres in a world cup squad they are competing for a place because Aki, McCloskey and Henshae can play 12 or 13 depending on the needs of the team.

• Advertisement

Looks like Farrell will be a fixture in the Irish setup, played quite a bit on the wing also under Buernard Jackman...so that kind of versatility is prized by Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's possibly harsh to judge Farrell on Saturday, it's hard to shine when the overall team performance is a bit shaky.

That said, I haven't seen anything of him at Munster that really marks him out as an international calibre player either.

The remaining European games will tell us a lot more about him I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Looks like Farrell will be a fixture in the Irish setup, played quite a bit on the wing also under Buernard Jackman...so that kind of versatility is prized by Joe

If it's harsh to judge him on one game, it's also rather generous to say the above. As others have said, he hasn't exactly stood out for Munster either yet. In the recent inter pro it was a Farrell who stood out in midfield and made the winning break, and it wasn't the Munster one. His form would want to seriously improve for Munster before he'll be considered a fixture in the Irish squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's possibly harsh to judge Farrell on Saturday, it's hard to shine when the overall team performance is a bit shaky.

That said, I haven't seen anything of him at Munster that really marks him out as an international calibre player either.

The remaining European games will tell us a lot more about him I hope.

I think he might be more suited to 12 than 13.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I think he might be more suited to 12 than 13.

He's never actually played a game there so not sure how anyone could say that without doing an Al Porter like reach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's never actually played a game there so not sure how anyone could say that without doing an Al Porter like reach

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Well he didnt show much at 13 with McCloskey inside him. Not that many of the team did in fairness.
    A big ball carrier who can truck it up like big stu is always going to draw in a few defenders leaving space for somebody outside. Probably wont see him in green until this time next year anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Buer wrote: »
    Snipped
    You should get banned for that. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Even as a Munster fan, I'm not really sure what Farrell did this season to merit the cap.

That's not a slight on him, it's just he hasn't shone YET in the Munster side. I wonder if Schmidt had a hand in him coming back, ear-marked him as one he wanted in the Irish setup?

He didn't have a great game, nor did many of our outside backs; the quality of the ball wouldn't have helped. Hopefully he'll get more shots at it, but I don't think he's anywhere near the 6N squad at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

from the start the irish selection were on a hiding to nothing, a bunch of guys with no experience or little rugby time.
    And the pressure to perform was huge, so much so I believe it affected our performance in the second half as the the players feared making mistakes so played zero risk rugby.
    We did well to win in the end considering the inexperience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

who_me wrote: »
    Even as a Munster fan, I'm not really sure what Farrell did this season to merit the cap.

That's not a slight on him, it's just he hasn't shone YET in the Munster side. I wonder if Schmidt had a hand in him coming back, ear-marked him as one he wanted in the Irish setup?

He didn't have a great game, nor did many of our outside backs; the quality of the ball wouldn't have helped. Hopefully he'll get more shots at it, but I don't think he's anywhere near the 6N squad at the moment.
    He didn't get a huge amount of ball. ESPN say 17 times, one third of which he passed. Beat a couple of defenders and made a handful of tackles. It may not have been the kind of game that played to his strengths. He didn't stink the place up though and for a first cap, that would be the baseline I suppose.

Advertisement