Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaf Advice- Is it for me?

• 18-11-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello.
    Ive been exploring the idea of changing from my diesel to an EV. I do however want some opinions/reassurance that I am making the right move.

I live rural, nearest charger is approx 30 min drive from me. There is a 44kw less than 10 mins from my workplace though.(is that the fast charge type?)

I currently drive a 1.8 diesel focus.
    My commute is 60km per day which is 300km per week.
    With other driving though (joys of living rural) I usually do 850km altogether every 9-10 days. It cost me €62 this morning to fill up a little over 45litres.
    The cost of my driving is the main factor in me deciding on EV.
    Because there is no charger currently near me, I would mostly be charging in my house.
    My budget is  €13K and would be prepared to go to the UK if getting a better deal. 
    Am I right in looking at the Tekna spec with 24kw?
    I would also need a granny cable too as Ive no home point for charging. I would look at getting this later on.

Any tips/advice/links would be very welcome please.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Your daily commute is easily doable in a 24kw.You need to factor in the limited range concerning longer drives though. We use the Leaf for all local driving but still have an ICE for day trips and holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Hello.
    Ive been exploring the idea of changing from my diesel to an EV. I do however want some opinions/reassurance that I am making the right move.

I live rural, nearest charger is approx 30 min drive from me. There is a 44kw less than 10 mins from my workplace though.(is that the fast charge type?)

I currently drive a 1.8 diesel focus.
    My commute is 60km per day which is 300km per week.
    With other driving though (joys of living rural) I usually do 850km altogether every 9-10 days. It cost me €62 this morning to fill up a little over 45litres.
    The cost of my driving is the main factor in me deciding on EV.
    Because there is no charger currently near me, I would mostly be charging in my house.
    My budget is  €13K and would be prepared to go to the UK if getting a better deal. 
    Am I right in looking at the Tekna spec with 24kw?
    I would also need a granny cable too as Ive no home point for charging. I would look at getting this later on.

Any tips/advice/links would be very welcome please.

Thank you

60km per day would be no bother in a 24kwh LEAF. I got one last week, and driving it carefully I’d get about 120km from a full charge. Driving it in a way that makes it an enjoyable drive, I’d be confident of getting 100km from a charge.

I’d recommend a proper home charger, though, as the granny cable is quite slow. If you go for a 6kw charger version of the LEAF, you should definitely budget for a 30A home charger. That would set you back in the region of €800 for a second hand unit, including fitting, or €1000 for a new one. Well worth it, though, in case you need to juice up for an hour at home before heading out again.

Granny cable will charge at about 1.5kw, so allow about 12 hours for a full charge. A 30A charger will charge a 6kw LEAF in about 4 hours. Big difference if you need a quick boost in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Leaf charges at 3.3kw or 6.6kw depending on model. Your closest CP is your house. You can charge overnight while you're sleeping. If you don't need to rely on public charge points then go for it. If you do, then think a bit more about it.

We charge the Leaf almost exclusively at home. Last year's bill was €110. It would have cost us 10x in a fuel efficient ICE.

Welcome to Boards !

Get the updated generation Leaf from late 2013, this model is identified by a separate heat and AC button on the climate control, the original leaf had only AC. The steering wheel has an ECO button and the interior is usually darker.

This updated Gen had a better battery and a more efficient heater that uses a heat pump.

Fast charging can take 40 mins to get from 18-80%.

You'll get roughly 100-110 Kms at 100 Kph from 100% charge and about 80 kms from 80%. Give or take depending on conditions, wind, wet roads and cold will effect this.

So , starting from 100% from home with 30-40 min charge depending on how cold the battery is, the colder it is the longer to charge, you could do about 200 Kms, 280 Kms with a 2nd 30-40 min charge. Sometimes you'll have to get to a charger before this simply because you get to it earlier than you need to charge.

All this depends on whether a charger is free when you get to it, if someone is charging then you have a potential up to 50 min wait before you even get to charge.

I also highly advise getting a Leaf with the optional 6.6 Kw charger, they're harder to find but it can save you needing to fast charge on many occasions, it has save me a lot of time spect at fast chargers. Arrive into town and plug into a standard non fast charger ( shown as the green points on the charge point map) and it can charge in 4 hrs max V 8 hrs for the standard charger, even 2 hrs with the 6.6 Kw charger can get you significant charge which might mean you don't have to wait at a fast charger or it can greatly cut down the time needed waiting at fast chargers.

You could also borrow an ICE for longer trips. We have the diesel for this but the Leaf is doing much more mileage in total , I am fortunate to have work charging so the Leaf meets my 142 Km commute perfectly.

For your daily needs the Leaf is perfect , but, do think carefully about longer trips and how frequent you take these trips because waiting at fast chargers on regular basis is not fun, especially if the charger is in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TomasOLurker

Many thanks for the replies.

It seems that I could very well be suited to a leaf so.

Most of my driving is well within the 100km range so for longer trips Id have to be planning and allowing time for stops to charge.

A question: My daily commute and once weekly shop is about 60kms return. Then charge on returning home to get 100% again in case I might need it. Id then have to charge the car each night so Id have enough for the next day's journey. Is this the norm for folk? sorry if that sounds silly!

• Advertisement

Many thanks for the replies.

It seems that I could very well be suited to a leaf so.

Most of my driving is well within the 100km range so for longer trips Id have to be planning and allowing time for stops to charge.

A question: My daily commute and once weekly shop is about 60kms return. Then charge on returning home to get 100% again in case I might need it. Id then have to charge the car each night so Id have enough for the next day's journey. Is this the norm for folk? sorry if that sounds silly!

The norm is to charge it as much as you need it!

Some say that charging to 100% every time might reduce the overall lifespan of the battery, so if you’re concerned about that, you can set the car up to automatically stop charging when it hits 80%. An 80% charge should handle a 60km round trip no hassle, but leaves little room for unforeseens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I know you mentioned a 13k budget and you’d easily get a good 24kwh Leaf for that kind of money. That would be sufficient for your daily commute.
    However if you could stretch a bit more and get the 30kwh SV or SVE with 6.6kw charger you would be future proofed for a looong number of years. It is definitely worth looking at it especially in Jan/Feb when you’d have the new Leaf coming out and lots of the old one will go for sale

peposhi wrote: »
    if you could stretch a bit more and get the 30kwh SV or SVE with 6.6kw charger you would be future proofed for a looong number of years.

I dont follow. Can you explain the advantages of the 30kwh please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

More range... 160-180km vs 100-120km in the 24kWh Leaf

KCross wrote: »
    More range... 160-180km vs 100-120km in the 24kWh Leaf

Thanks!!

I quick look on Autotrader UK puts them around the 16-17K area.

The BMW EV is in that ballpark for a 2014. Would that not be a better option then???

• Advertisement

If your budget goes to €17-18k, then a 30kWh version is a better proposition. But to get one around that price you’re looking at waiting until next Spring when the early 2016 UK ones come into the market. To get a 30kWh one right now you’re looking at the best part of 20k.

If you’re rigid on your 13k budget, you’d be waiting 12-18 months to get a 30kWh one for that price I’d say. Bear in mind that if you wait that long, you’ll have spent a lot in petrol/diesel in the meantime.

If you’re happy that a 100-120km range will suit your needs, you’d be better off getting a 24kWh one now, and start saving money straightaway. I had the very same decision to make recently, and with a very similar budget. I went with a 24kWh one because (a) that’s what I could afford, (b) it suits my commute and the extra range of a 30kWh one would have been no real benefit, and (c) I’ve been able to save about €200 a month in fuel straightaway.

Thanks!!

I quick look on Autotrader UK puts them around the 16-17K area.

The BMW EV is in that ballpark for a 2014. Would that not be a better option then???

The 30kWh Leaf came out in 152 (only a few), mainly 161+.

A 2014 i3 is obviously 2 years older and a much smaller battery(22kWh I think).

It depends on whats important to you really.... they are not a direct comparison.

I don't think you're budget would stretch to an I3 rex which has the petrol generator, it never drives the wheels but provides power to the electric motor. It's the best of both worlds, plenty of range for most of your day to day driving and the generator for times you need more.

One other advantage of the 30 Kwh leaf is that it charges faster from the fast chargers than the 24 Kwh. The 24 Kwh charges at 45 Kw until maybe 30% and then it rapidly drops to 30-35 Kw and keeps dropping until 80% where the 30 Kwh Leaf charges at the full 45 Kw until 80%.

I don't think you're budget would stretch to an I3 rex which has the petrol generator, it never drives the wheels but provides power to the electric motor. It's the best of both worlds, plenty of range for most of your day to day driving and the generator for times you need more.

One other advantage of the 30 Kwh leaf is that it charges faster from the fast chargers than the 24 Kwh. The 24 Kwh charges at 45 Kw until maybe 30% and then it rapidly drops to 30-35 Kw and keeps dropping until 80% where the 30 Kwh Leaf charges at the full 45 Kw until 80%.

Ah ok I thought that all bmw had that generator.

Ill focus on the 30kwh so.
    Obviously better to pick one up from the UK???

Are they VRT exempt?

Also are the Leaf batteries owned in the 30kwh?

The I3 has a 21 Kwh battery with about 18-19 usable, Leaf 24 Kwh has about 22 Kwh usable at the peak of it's capacity and the 30 Kwh has 28 usable Kwh. The updated battery in the I3 in 2016 has 33 Kwh with about 30 ? usable.

I3 also has Rex as option for all years.

Leaf has no VRT, going to the U.K has it's hassles, extra expense of travel, seeking the proper charge cards for the different charge points which is the most ridiculous system ever..... Try buy from a main dealer and make sure it's not the FLEX version which meant the battery was rented and not part of the purchase of the car. Also buying close to the port helps with an EV.

Ill focus on the 30kwh so.
    Obviously better to pick one up from the UK???

Are they VRT exempt?

Also are the Leaf batteries owned in the 30kwh?

I've the same commute as you. The 24kWh will do you fine but the 30kWh is obviously handier to have but you will have a much smaller number to choose from and more expensive so thats a personal decision for you.

All Leaf's fall under the VRT exemption rate so it will be zero VRT.

You need to be careful on the battery lease thing. If you see "flex" anywhere in the ad its a battery lease or if you see one that has a price too good to be true its almost certainly a battery lease. But you need to ask the dealer regardless as sometimes they don't advertise that its a battery lease.

If getting a Leaf try to get one with a 6.6kW charger. Most only have 3.3kW charger so they take twice as long to charge at home.... this is especially important if you finish your commute and want to do, say, another 50km that evening. That would require you to charge when you get home from work to go out again later.... having the 6.6kW charger makes that more viable.... an hour on a 6.6kW charger will add 30%+.

It's like this, can you afford to pay for the convenience of more range with the 30 kwh ? if you can then you'll greatly appreciate it when you need it along with the faster charging at fast chargers.

The 6.6 Kw charger will not add anything to the cost of a 2nd hand Leaf, whichever one you get the 6.6 Kw charger is dead handy, charge on a longer trip in town and you might not even have to wait at a fast charger for the return trip.

A lot of people did not think the 6.6 Kw charger was worth the 900 Euro's to them but it certainly was to me, who knows how many of the 3.3 Kw leaf owners regretted their decision after ? I may not have needed it much but mighty glad of it when I did and of course the ability to charge at home twice as fast would be convenient, especially for us country folk.

I highly advise you to arrange a 24-48 Hr test drive in a Leaf to see for yourself how you may or may not cope with fast charging, take it on a long trip that you normally take and also make sure you are aware whether it's the 24 or 30 Kwh version because the 24 kwh charges slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

It's like this, can you afford to pay for the convenience of more range with the 30 kwh ? if you can then you'll greatly appreciate it when you need it along with the faster charging at fast chargers.

The 6.6 Kw charger will not add anything to the cost of a 2nd hand Leaf, whichever one you get the 6.6 Kw charger is dead handy, charge on a longer trip in town and you might not even have to wait at a fast charger for the return trip.

A lot of people did not think the 6.6 Kw charger was worth the 900 Euro's to them but it certainly was to me, who knows how many of the 3.3 Kw leaf owners regretted their decision after ? I may not have needed it much but mighty glad of it when I did and of course the ability to charge at home twice as fast would be convenient, especially for us country folk.

I highly advise you to arrange a 24-48 Hr test drive in a Leaf to see for yourself how you may or may not cope with fast charging, take it on a long trip that you normally take and also make sure you are aware whether it's the 24 or 30 Kwh version because the 24 kwh charges slower.

I second that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 TheFin

Hi, would anyone have advice on the kind of price I should expect to pay for a Leaf SV 30Kw; List is €33.8k inc Metal paint & Cold PK but no 6.6 less €5k SEAI and €5k trade-in which brings price down to €23.8k. As the new 40Kw is due out in early 2018 does anyone know if dealers are giving additional discounts to get rid of 30Kw cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

TheFin wrote: »
    Hi, would anyone have advice on the kind of price I should expect to pay for a Leaf SV 30Kw; List is €33.8k inc Metal paint & Cold PK but no 6.6 less €5k SEAI and €5k trade-in which brings price down to €23.8k. As the new 40Kw is due out in early 2018 does anyone know if dealers are giving additional discounts to get rid of 30Kw cars?

This?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105645183&postcount=1860

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 TheFin

Thanks, yep the €5k trade in I referred to in my first post was the same €5k you're referring to. I was just wondering if the dealers were offering any more on top...

TheFin wrote: »
    Thanks, yep the €5k trade in I referred to in my first post was the same €5k you're referring to. I was just wondering if the dealers were offering any more on top...

I’d say you’d have to ask individual dealers about what more they can do, depending on what they have in stock.

The other thing to bear in mind is that scrappage and finance deals that are on offer for the current LEAF will not be available for the new one. (Main dealer told me this a couple of months ago, so maybe this has changed by now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I’d say you’d have to ask individual dealers about what more they can do, depending on what they have in stock.

Sound advice. Email all Nissan dealers in Ireland with a carefully worded email that you are ready to buy, have the cash ready or finance approved, know exactly what you want but your only criterion is price (and don't be picky about colour / spec is the very best price is your priority). If you have the time and the stomach for it, ring all the ones that don't reply to your email within a day or so

Then see what offers you got, play them out against each other and go in for the final push

This approach will lead to the best price you can get. I did the above, sent my email out at 9AM, and bought my EV over the phone that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Orebro

unkel wrote: »
    Sound advice. Email all Nissan dealers in Ireland with a carefully worded email that you are ready to buy, have the cash ready or finance approved, know exactly what you want but your only criterion is price (and don't be picky about colour / spec is the very best price is your priority). If you have the time and the stomach for it, ring all the ones that don't reply to your email within a day or so

Then see what offers you got, play them out against each other and go in for the final push

This approach will lead to the best price you can get. I did the above, sent my email out at 9AM, and bought my EV over the phone that evening

Ah the good ‘ole days when Ioniqs were a dime a dozen :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't be surprised if I got the cheapest non-white one in the country :p

Advertisement