Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend Recorded Conversation in School

Options
  • 18-11-2017 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I was going through a rough time. And to make it even worse my siblings accused me of crashing a car even though I wasn't the one driving it. When I got on the bus my siblings kept humiliating me calling me a "retard". My sister also took a photo of the crashed car and put it up on Snapchat. When I got into school, I threw all my books in my locker and went to my grandparent's house.

That night my friend Nick messaged me asking if I was okay and I replied back to him. He told me that my siblings said I crashed the car and it was all my fault. I told him that it was all lies and he stated that he "didn't want to comment on it" but yet still wanted to hear my side of the story. I then muted the conversation because if he didn't want to get involved then there was no point in me telling my side of the story.

Next day I went to school and my other friend Sheila asked me how was I feeling. I said I was okay and that Nick was the only one who messaged me last night. I then told her what happened to the car and told her that Nick wanted to see if I was okay. While having this conversation with my friend Sheila, my best friend at the time, Eve, was recording our conversation. She told me to "cop on" and told me that I was "bitching". She then sent it to every one of my friends ( I assume ) and even sent it to me.

The recording was very distorted, you can't hear full sentences and you can hear other students shouting and screaming. I do admit that I was swearing in the recording but I was only swearing because I was so angry with the car incident. Eve then lied and said that I was "bitching" about Nick when I never said anything bad about him. She poisoned everyone against me and I have very few friends now.

I'm now wondering if this is illegal? She recorded my conversation with Sheila without our knowledge and without our permission. The conversation was innocent and I said nothing wrong, there was no reason to record me whatsoever. And she also wasn't present in the conversation ( she sat a far from us ) and is now bullying me with the recording. I'm 18 soon and I'm just sick of this drama and people sending me stupid messages on Facebook about it. I have no intention of going to the guards but just want to know so I can at least say it her so she can stop bullying me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

If the convo was in a public place, or sheila gave eve permission to record it, it's not illegal.
    Not sure why your "friends" are so interested. Sounds like something that's none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OwieSmurf

Tenigate wrote: »
    If the convo was in a public place, or sheila gave eve permission to record it, it's not illegal.
    Not sure why your "friends" are so interested. Sounds like something that's none of their business.

We had the conversation in school, but it was a private conversation between the both of us and only the both of us. It wasn't like we were in the middle of the room talking aloud. Sheila also never gave Eve permission to record. I've looked up to see if it is illegal and it states that if the person "covertly" records you without a party's permission ( a.k.a mine or Sheila's ) or isn't involved / present in the conversation then it is illegal.

My guidance counsellor says it's against school policy and my principle says that if I want to go to the guards I can but I think what he means by that is the messages I'm getting from bullies on social media. I don't think he understands the recording problem.

Any other advice? Thanks for the message by the way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

18 soon.6th year?
    Step way back.I'd cut off social media for a while.Stop answering messages.Don't get involved in conversations about whatever this incident is.
    Assuming you are in LC, in 8 months time you'll never have to see these people again.
    I do not miss school.

Advertisement