Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi /Smart Light Switches?

• 18-11-2017 9:16pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking into a lightswitch replacement that works with Wifi and Alexa. The bulbs in my ceiling are not available as smart bulbs so replacing the switch would be fine. Id need one that was a dual, maybe even treble.

What ones are good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Look at the SONOFF range.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks. I had a look but not sure that will do what I want. I found this which seems more like it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KBXU4RK/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2KXIYNM9D36U3&colid=1KDX0PVYRTKNS - replaces the current switch and works with Alexa etc. Any ideas if this would work or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Once you add on the hub cost for LightwaveRF it is very expensive...

I'm looking for a hubless device I have bought a couple of sonoff switches that will arrive this week. I'm going to use them for a towel rail first and see if its any good then go into the wall switches.

Zascar wrote:
    - replaces the current switch and works with Alexa etc. Any ideas if this would work or not?

I've a bag of them at home that I don't use.

It can be hard to match the lightwaverf units to your lamps. Even when you achieve the minimum wattage required.

I've a decent knowledge of the lightwaverf stuff .

They still make the best looking sockets imo.
    However the old gen is not state aware the new gen is but its a limited range and it's early days

If you have a neutral cable at a light switch the units I suggested can be used.

Fabrio kit is good for this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Stoner wrote: »
    Fabrio kit is good for this too.

Fibaro?

I currently have dimmers that look like these (think it's that model, just was way more expensive when we bought them years ago), do you reckon they'd work with the Fibaro dimmer units?

• Advertisement

Fibaro?

Correct

(think it's that model, just was way more expensive when we bought them years ago), do you reckon they'd work with the Fibaro dimmer units?

I'm not sure what fittings you are talking about.

Lightwave does not need a neutral, Fibaro has a number of options including wireless.

So you'd need to understand how your switches are hooked up, draw it out (not difficult) then ask on the Fibaro forum

They have good info on the site too. We answered some questions on it a while back the op had diagrams on it etc, worth bringing that thread back to life for some more collaborative input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

eddiem74 wrote: »

It does. Thank you.
    Electronic Switches
    These are switches such as touch sensitive switches or switches with LEDs.

They cannot be used with most Z-Wave dimmer modules as the switch connections cannot provide power to the electronic switch.

So my existing switches won't work. Pity.

Advertisement