Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance laws on changing car mid policy?

Options
  • 18-11-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm looking to finally put the mighty Micra out to pasture and I have my eyes (and heart) set on an imaculate looking, late model, EP3 Civic Type R.
    I'm with Aviva, they offer an online service for changing your policy which is usually fine but we I price the cost of changing vehicle last night they wouldn't give me a number.

My current car is 01 and the potential new car is an 05, so hoping that they don't classify it as new business and too old?
    Can they deny your policy change or are they obligated to at least quote you for the change?

I'm hoping this is some sort of under writing issue and it has to be during working hours...
    My plan for now is to call them on Monday as realistically I'd like to view/purchase this car next weekend so I'd want to start talking to the owher quite sharpish.

My details if you're wondering are a 27y/o male, full license for 4 years, full no claims and no points. Hardly seems like a 197bhp hatch back should be out of my limits. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They will insure cars up to 14 years on a new business quote so a 2005 will be fine for 2 more years. I would say for a Type R it will be over the phone you would need to get the quote.
    Aviva’s recent decision not to provide a new business quote for cars 14 years or older is based on our own claims experience for this segment. By not taking on more of this risk type, we are protecting our broader customer base and our ability to offer sustainable and competitive motor insurance premiums in Ireland.

http://www.aviva.ie/car-insurance/motor-advice/vehicle-age/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Thought Aviva didn't insure cars over 10 years old?

I've been with them the last 3 years, they've kept renewing the policy. The 10 year old rule is for new business as it wouldn't be fair to cancle policies AFAIK.

They will insure cars up to 14 years so a 2005 will be fine for 2 more years. I would say for a Type R it will be over the phone you would need to get the quote.

http://www.aviva.ie/car-insurance/motor-advice/vehicle-age/

Thanks, man. That's the age out of the way, hopefully it is just an over the phone change. I'm expecting to pay an increase of course but not getting a quote was worrying me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I always found if you ring to price a potential change, they will try and talk you out if it, with the whole "oh jaysis we wouldn't insure that made yoke" type comments.

Ring them after you have bought it and they will just have to work with you.

That said with 4 years full license/ no claims is not that much in the scheme of things, particularly when trying to insure one of the most blacklisted names of all time.

I hope it goes well for you though, they are a cool car. Post a few pics if you get it.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same, buy it and they'd have to change but I'd hate to be stuck with a car I can't insure... Again.
    Looks like it may be the way, I'll call on Monday anyway and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

CianRyan wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, buy it and they'd have to change but I'd hate to be stuck with a car I can't insure... Again.
    Looks like it may be the way, I'll call on Monday anyway and see what they say.

You gotta expect that changing from group 5 micra K12 to group 37 (lowest group 37-max 50 in type R’s) will be UWR decision & not general staff

Buying and thinking they ‘have to’ insure you could be costly.. you will need reg number, will need to confirm if Irish/UK or Jap import spec and all upgrades on same ,and possibly get chassis number before they’ll discuss €€/££

Yeah, I expected as much when they wouldn't switch online. Q
    It seems to be a an original Irish car going by the plate, seems very early. I'll get as much info on it as possible before I call though, good shout!

Advertisement