Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas present ideas

• 18-11-2017 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭

This is the second year in a row I have been having huge problems of coming up with Christmas present ideas for myself. My mother wants me to have something at least for me to open up on Christmas morning but all I want is digital games and money. I want digital games because then I will not need to rebuy the discs if they get scratched plus I will not need to put each game in the console individually. I want money so I can save up for things I might want to buy in future when I do come up with them.

You might be saying.... well what relevance has this got to do with the Nintendo forum? Well my mother wants to get me a Nintendo console for Christmas, just so there is something for me to open on Christmas morning (like I already said). She also would love if I got the SNES Classic Edition. As I cannot think of anything myself, I just went for something so basic. This thing being the 2DS XL, that's how desperate and hopeless I am of coming up with ideas. I have a Wii, I have a Wii U, I have a 2DS. I My mother preordered a SNES Classic Edition in July in Gamestop as I said in another thread.... still waiting on that. Somebody suggested that I should look in Smyths instead of Gamestop for it. Every time I look at Smyths though it's sold out.

Don't say the Switch please as I have no interest in that at all. My mother got it in August but then I told her to send it back immediately.

Any ideas on what I should get for this Christmas in terms of Nintendo consoles - or anything at this stage (bar the Switch) :(.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sounds like this year for Christmas you should get some perspective! But that's harder to wrap than a download code.

Download codes can be placed in game boxes with mocked up covers for that frenzied unwrapping experience.

SNES mini is gettable, you just need to keep checking in Smyths, or flag down Banjo's Magical SNEStical bus if you're around Celbridge / carrickmines.

Accessories? Amiibo? Game related tat (e.g. t-shirts, hylian shield bag, plushies, mugs)? Something that has nothing to do with games? Get a raspberry pi, a tube of Pringles and some wires, and build your mam a diy smart home!

Ouch! My SNESticals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Banjo wrote: »
    Sounds like this year for Christmas you should get some perspective! But that's harder to wrap than a download code.

Download codes can be placed in game boxes with mocked up covers for that frenzied unwrapping experience.

SNES mini is gettable, you just need to keep checking in Smyths, or flag down Banjo's Magical SNEStical bus if you're around Celbridge / carrickmines.

Accessories? Amiibo? Game related tat (e.g. t-shirts, hylian shield bag, plushies, mugs)? Something that has nothing to do with games? Get a raspberry pi, a tube of Pringles and some wires, and build your mam a diy smart home!

Ouch! My SNESticals!

I'm not the one who is without the perspective though, it's my mother. She frequently brags on about Christmas. I've never really cared for Christmas myself - or my birthday for that matter either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A 2DS:XL is a great upgrade to your existing handheld.
    A Famicom Classic is an easier buy than a NES Classic though essentially the same, import one.
    Maybe an actual Super Nintendo and a copy of Super Mario All-stars would be cool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How good would she be with doing this:

Tell you whats her budget is, you give her your own money to cover the rest of switch, so she can buy it, wrap it and put it under the tree.

This way, you wont get what you dont want and she will be able to put something under the tree.

How good would she be with doing this:

Tell you whats her budget is, you give her your own money to cover the rest of switch, so she can buy it, wrap it and put it under the tree.

This way, you wont get what you dont want and she will be able to put something under the tree.

Did you even read my post or my part saying no Switch please?

• Advertisement

She'd be awful. Because he doesn't want a switch!

She'd be awful. Because he doesn't want a switch!

I told her countless times I don’t want a Switch. There’s no games I like on it. I have zero interest in it so would totally be a waste of money, not because I’m ungrateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Do you have a pro controller for your Wii U? Pro controller for Wii, balance board. Could get one of those, or a special edition of a game (that you could leave untouched and look at the box).

Failing that, a Switch.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Failing that, a Switch.

:)

I think it's time to face the harsh reality. What she really needs is a new son. One that wants a Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's time to face the harsh reality. What she really needs is a new son. One that wants a Switch.

None of the maternity hospitals are accepting returns, I've checked.

• Advertisement

Do you have a pro controller for your Wii U? Pro controller for Wii, balance board. Could get one of those, or a special edition of a game (that you could leave untouched and look at the box).

Failing that, a Switch.

Yes I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes I do.

I think your initial idea of 2ds xl is a good one then, looks like an excellent step up from original 2ds, and 3ds (bar the lack of 3d), you could get one of those pesky flash carts (that aren't discussable here) and have a library of ds games to play virtually straight away on Christmas day.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm interested in the Switch, but she can't take me.

Did you even read my post or my part saying no Switch please?

My bad, but the idea still stands.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Ah sure gamestop will take "it" as a trade in. Depends on condition, age, skills. :pac:

Ah sure gamestop will take "it" as a trade in. Depends on condition, age, skills. :pac:

My son was raised to be somewhat truthful, peddling game insurance and loyalty cards would be against his morals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

There's one, but you have to be a millionaire.
    -Zs1S-.gif

I've always hated that ad. :mad:

Ok so..... we went in on the retro gaming today.

I got a N64, a SNES, an emulator so I can play NES games on the SNES, a GameBoy Color, a 2DS XL and a GameCube.

What a day that was buying all this good **** :P.

We had 1000 euro to spend and that all cost us 750.

What will you spend the remaining 250 on? I know ! Why not pay some homeless riff raff to fight to the death like smelly Poké-people! What a jolly good laugh!

What will you spend the remaining 250 on? I know ! Why not pay some homeless riff raff to fight to the death like smelly Poké-people! What a jolly good laugh!

My mother spent that on clothes :cool:.

• Advertisement

So.. is your mom hot? Cause she's loaded and heavily Nintendo focussed, and until earlier today had no clothes - she's already ticking a lot of boxes is all I'm saying...

Try to answer objectively. We are men of science!

So.. is your mom hot? Cause she's loaded and heavily Nintendo focussed, and until earlier today had no clothes - she's already ticking a lot of boxes is all I'm saying...

Try to answer objectively. We are men of science!

Love how you're trying hard to be hilarious :pac:.

Love how you're trying hard to be hilarious :pac:.

You have answered every post I've made in this thread within a minute. Who's trying to be what now? I'll take that as a yes though, and you're welcome; I know in your situation any distraction, however facile it may be, is a godsend.

Hey - for giggles, why not get a switch and give it to Sligeach? It'd be like watching a man drown in quicksand - the harder he fights, the deeper into love he'd fall...

You have answered every post I've made in this thread within a minute. Who's trying to be what now? I'll take that as a yes though, and you're welcome; I know in your situation any distraction, however facile it may be, is a godsend.

Hey - for giggles, why not get a switch and give it to Sligeach? It'd be like watching a man drown in quicksand - the harder he fights, the deeper into love he'd fall...

You do try hard to be hilarious and have much success in this regard.
    We thank you for your efforts!

You put the faeces into facetious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ok so..... we went in on the retro gaming today.

I got a N64, a SNES, an emulator so I can play NES games on the SNES, a GameBoy Color, a 2DS XL and a GameCube.

How old are you? That seems an awful lot to be spending for Christmas?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How old are you? That seems an awful lot to be spending for Christmas?

I’m 17.... age is just a number. P.S. money isn’t much of a problem for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What is the price breakdown on these cause 750 is a lot unless you bought a lot of games or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Based on what I read above, you need to tell your mother:

"Mom, you already bought me everything I wanted. There's really nothing I wish for, the Internet people had no bright ideas either. If you must give me something for Christmas, make it a surprise. But be aware that if it is a Switch, I will re-gift it to a poor colleague in school. Happy Christmas!"

ERG89 wrote: »
    What is the price breakdown on these cause 750 is a lot unless you bought a lot of games or something.

Yes I did buy a lot of games included in that price. If I didn't, I wouldn't have anything to play with :P.

• Advertisement

I’m 17.... age is just a number. P.S. money isn’t much of a problem for us.

Look, this is important. More important than how many nintendo products your smokin' mom buys you.

You are partially correct. Age *is* just a number. When you're 17. However, age becomes more than a number the higher the number gets, and at some point stops being a number and starts being an emergent property of a system of accumulated injuries and habits and bad decisions.

What I'm saying is, look after your back and always wear a johnny. Like, ALWAYS - even in the shower. It won't grow back if it falls off and all the money in the world won't buy you a new one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement