Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Higher average FPS but yes, you might struggle to reach 144fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It really depends on the games. It'll limit you in some titles and not in others, though in the vast majority of games you should have a pretty good experience - worst case scenario in certain games you can maintain your current framerate while enjoying much better image quality settings. A 2nd hand 3770K would definitely be a good shout down the line, should get one for about €150-180 and it'll give you a major boost in CPU heavy titles without the pain of having to change motherboard/buy new ram etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys, the two guys i was hoping would see this post fair play lads :P

@ TerrorFirmer will my mobo take that cpu?

asus P8P67 rev 3.0

according to this it will work?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67/HelpDesk_CPU/

If i could find one for that price it might prolong my rig a bit which would be great.

Just had a quick look at benchmarks, the 2500k actually outperforms the 3770 so im guessing you mean the 3770K?

Im not expecting ultra 144fps here , just a bit of a boost would be nice until i do the card and monitor justice with new build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dcully wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at benchmarks, the 2500k actually outperforms the 3770 so im guessing you mean the 3770K?

I did say the 3770K :)

If both were at stock, the i7-3770/k dominates the i5-2500/K. But since you're clocked at 4.4Ghz, it makes the most sense to jump to a 3770K and overclock that to whatever you can squeeze out of it.

Just make sure your bios revision supports it, but yes the board itself supports it.

That would bring your framerate ceiling/minimum framerate a good amount higher in CPU heavy games.

Have to remember as well that with 144hz it's about getting the best framerate you can, rather than actually hitting 144hz.

It's doable in games like Overwatch or COD, but it won't happen in something like BF1 online, not matter what CPU you have!

Advertisement