Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I cancel a pending transaction on my account

Options
  • 18-11-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

Just wondering can I cancel a pending transaction on my account? I think the website is dodgey. Can the bank cancel this for me? Or if I cancel my card will the payment still go through? Or if I withdraw all the money in my account will this work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hi......

When did you place the order, what website and what was their reaction when you requested a cancellation of the order, which I assume has not yet been dispatched?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bmore2017

I placed the order this evening and on the website it says order cannot be cancelled. I have tried to contact my bank to see if the pending transaction can be cancelled but I can't get through to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

And why do you now think the site is suspect but not earlier this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

what website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This is my understanding of how transactions work..anyone with any contradictory information, please correct..
    You cannot cancel a transaction once it has been authorised. That money or credit facility is held for that merchant now.
    The merchant at this point can do a reversal or when it hits the account, a refund.
    The bank at this point cannot cancel the transaction but you could attempt to enter a transaction dispute process (you will have to prove why you are disputing) once the transaction hits the account.
    Alternatively if you think it's fraud, cancel your card immediately to prevent further transactions and report this one transaction but again a fraud will have to be proven.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Bmore2017 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering can I cancel a pending transaction on my account? I think the website is dodgey. Can the bank cancel this for me? Or if I cancel my card will the payment still go through? Or if I withdraw all the money in my account will this work?

You cannot cancel a pending transaction, but you can report it as a fraudulent transaction (if you believe it to be one) and your bank might raise a charge-back on your behalf.

Advertisement