Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Adams finally retires

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

He's afaik only been convicted of partaking in an escape,while being interned

Be realistic here, Gerry has been the SF chief since 1983. If the British security services wanted rid of Gerry they could have done it long ago.

He could have been imprisoned, murdered, accidentally shot, car crash etc etc, perhaps a major scandal, an allegation of sexual abuse / child abuse.... These people do have the power to do these things.

They have plenty information on him, Id be pretty sure that if Gerry farts MI5 knows how it smells. They have watched his every move for years.

But Gerry has been well protected, he is a known quantity for them, they didnt want Martin and him replaced by anybody else.

You couldn't possibly be suggesting that Gerry was been protected by British powers both politically and from prosecution , could you ?

Imagine that being in the public domain.

Then again when you think about it , entirely possible.
    I wonder who would've negotiated something like that ? "Steak-knife , Danny Morrison, Gerry Kelly or maybe that poor soul who got his head blown off in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

mynamejeff wrote: »
    he is and continues to be a criminal , that is a part of the life he choose for himself and his family . He is very far from a innocent victim

my sympathy is reserved for them.

Understand now ?

I'm not putting the man on any kind of pedestal. But the closest you can come to is calling him a criminal. That label can be ascribed to pretty much everybody from a 10 year old to a pensioner.

I never, for one moment (to quote you) framed Adams as an "innocent victim", and I'm quite curious as to why you would even say such a thing.

I wrote that Adams, over the course of his life has displayed a fortitude that is probably rare in a generation. Those who cannot bring themselves to acknowledge this will lapse to things like bombings or killings or campaigns or a multitude of other things.

We all know that Gerry Adams brought Westminster to the table, the exact same way that Collins did 100 years ago. And it was all done via the barrel of a gun.

When you start criticising one man's way of fighting over those against whom he is fighting then maybe the discussion is drifting into something beyond logic.

What I will do is come back to the subject at hand. I don't know of a single politician on EARTH, in Westminster, The Kremlin, Congress, or any other house of legislation who has endured what Adams has.

Now I am almost certain that I am wrong because Castro has been looking over his shoulder for 60 years and I don't know if there are politicians who have been tortured by another sovereign government. But with all that in mind, and whatever you think about Irish Republicanism and the methods that have been employed to achieve it, I can't but look at Adams as someone very strong and very profound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

Considering his length of service in the Dail his pension would be considerably lower than the the average industrial wage. Sometimes a little research is a benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Considering his length of service in the Dail his pension would be considerably lower than the the average industrial wage. Sometimes a little research is a benefit.

Something something northern bank....bah humbug :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jawgap wrote: »
    Mugabe gone.

Gerry going.

Just yer man in North Korea now.

Did you not hear?

Mugabe is looking for another role.

2382345079_be546e0053_o.jpg?w=166&h=278&crop&ssl=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Are my ears not working correctly or did a woman speaking on the podium of the Sinn Fein gathering say Gerry Adams was the leader of the IRA?
    Anyone confirm?

Mugabe gone.

Gerry going.

Just yer man in North Korea now.

If its the world we’re talking about, don’t forget the current clown at 1600 Pennsylvania Av........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

another sad day, but it was always going to come at some stage i guess. our boy jerry gave great service to this nation. standing up against sectarianism and empirialism. thank you for your service sir.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Im reminded of one of Gerry's favorite sayings. "I dont like Protestants" Deep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

another sad day, but it was always going to come at some stage i guess. our boy jerry gave great service to this nation. standing up against sectarianism and empirialism. thank you for your service sir.

Good fcuking riddance to him.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

And indeed your traveller friends are also great at putting a new competitively priced drive down...... “Jerry” as you call him was great lad. Altogether now.... lol.

Have you been abused by your father? No problem. “Jerry” will send you a signed copy of their latest book to help you over the trauma...

Good fcuking riddance to him.

not at all. he would have made a great leader for ireland. same with our boy martin (peace be upon him)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,607 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who takes over from him, Mary Lou or Pearse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

not at all. he would have made a great leader for ireland. same with our boy martin (peace be upon him)

He wouldn't have and didn't. Ditto for Martin.

(Upper case I for Irish.. always and upper case M for Martin in future please, this maybe an internet forum, but show a bit or respect)

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He wouldn't have and didn't. Ditto for Martin.

of course they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

John_Rambo wrote:
    (Upper case I for Irish.. always and upper case M for Martin in future please, this maybe an internet forum, but show a bit or respect)

WTF has a capital letter got to do with respect?

Good riddance is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

khaldrogo wrote:

Nothing.

of course they would.

We'll never find out. One tragically died, the other never did because the people of Ireland decided he wasn't suitable.

That's democracy for you.

• Advertisement

khaldrogo wrote: »

I'd always use upper case for the I when referring to Ireland, or when typing someones name. Call me old fashioned.

You seem to use upper case for WTF. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thanks be to Allah! At last !

He's my local TD. The sooner he's gone the better, as he was useless for us.

And?

I can't wait to see his replacement work wonders for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

John_Rambo wrote:
    You seem to use upper case for WTF. Fair play.

BTW, LOL, BRB, WTF.......... abbreviations are better in capitals for the simple minded to understand.

A capital letter, or lack there of does not signify respect. Tone relays respect IMO.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    BTW, LOL, BRB, WTF.......... abbreviations are better in capitals for the simple minded to understand.

A capital letter, or lack there of does not signify respect. Tone relays respect IMO.

Cool. Keep up with the abbreviations, knock yourself out with your LOL's and IMO's. I'm going to stick with the upper case for names, countries, nations and the more important things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If you have evidence of any crimes he committed the PSNI would love to hear from you.

You see there was thing called the peace process where all and sundry got a do not check card

I wonder did he ever get his gas bottles back ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BRB?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Cool. Keep up with the abbreviations, knock yourself out with your LOL's and IMO's. I'm going to stick with the upper case for names, countries, nations and the more important things.

you do that. but this thread is about the retirement of jerry adams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Chrongen wrote: »
    I'm not putting the man on any kind of pedestal. But the closest you can come to is calling him a criminal. That label can be ascribed to pretty much everybody from a 10 year old to a pensioner.

I never, for one moment (to quote you) framed Adams as an "innocent victim", and I'm quite curious as to why you would even say such a thing.

I wrote that Adams, over the course of his life has displayed a fortitude that is probably rare in a generation. Those who cannot bring themselves to acknowledge this will lapse to things like bombings or killings or campaigns or a multitude of other things.

We all know that Gerry Adams brought Westminster to the table, the exact same way that Collins did 100 years ago. And it was all done via the barrel of a gun.

When you start criticising one man's way of fighting over those against whom he is fighting then maybe the discussion is drifting into something beyond logic.

What I will do is come back to the subject at hand. I don't know of a single politician on EARTH, in Westminster, The Kremlin, Congress, or any other house of legislation who has endured what Adams has.

Now I am almost certain that I am wrong because Castro has been looking over his shoulder for 60 years and I don't know if there are politicians who have been tortured by another sovereign government. But with all that in mind, and whatever you think about Irish Republicanism and the methods that have been employed to achieve it, I can't but look at Adams as someone very strong and very profound.

and this post ladies and gentlemen is the apex of shinner botism right there .

adoration of a criminal who helped destroy many many innocent lives

well done enjoy the average industrial wage and all that will bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

you do that. but this thread is about the retirement of jerry adams.

Why do you spell it Jerry instead of Gerry?
    Just curious.

adams wasn't responsible for any of that, that was rogue elements of the ira. such targeting of civilians was unjustifiable, but it wasn't a policy of the ira leadership to target civilians. the RUCBAloyalists who were working as 1 group did have a policy of targeting civilians however.

• Advertisement

I would like to know how you would equate "adoration of a criminal" with how I recognised and acknowledged Adams' 45 to 50 years of bravery

His courage (and tenacity AND stubborness) has been admired and held in silent awe by Whitehall, Dublin, Madrid, Washington, Barcelona, Beirut, and the centres of power that would hold people down.

It's so easy to spit on a man when you don't have his strength, and wish you did.

I, myself would have cracked the moment a gun was put to my head. Torture...I would have cracked in seconds.

So, I don't really care what you think of Adams' politics or anything else. He has an ingredient that is rare.

adams wasn't responsible for any of that, that was rogue elements of the ira. such targeting of civilians was unjustifiable, but it wasn't a policy of the ira leadership to target civilians. the RUCBAloyalists who were working as 1 group did have a policy of targeting civilians however.

sorry i dont reply to your kind eotr seen too much of your nonsense on here

Chrongen wrote: »
    I would like to know how you would equate "adoration of a criminal" with how I recognised and acknowledged Adams' 45 to 50 years of bravery

His courage (and tenacity AND stubborness) has been admired and held in silent awe by Whitehall, Dublin, Madrid, Washington, Barcelona, Beirut, and the centres of power that would hold people down.

It's so easy to spit on a man when you don't have his strength, and wish you did.

I, myself would have cracked the moment a gun was put to my head. Torture...I would have cracked in seconds.

So, I don't really care what you think of Adams' politics or anything else. He has an ingredient that is rare.

your deluded mate Adams is a criminal not a brave and respected hero

his main ingredient is the ability to manipulate the weak and stupid for his own ends

his main ingredient is the ability to manipulate the weak and stupid for his own ends

There are two types of people who are shouting and claiming to lead. They both can be accused of manipulating the weak and the stupid for their own ends.

One type sends people to take a bullet. The other type actually takes a bullet.

I'll save my disdain for those who talk and fumble in the freasy till.

he's not a criminal. if you have evidence of him commiting crimes then by all means report it to the gardai. he is brave and is respected world wide for his strength. you don't have to like it but it is true.

he's not a criminal. if you have evidence of him commiting crimes then by all means report it to the gardai. he is brave and is respected world wide for his strength. you don't have to like it but it is true.

He's a coward , if he had any balls at all , he'd admit to being in the IRA and acknowledge what he truly was not bask in unadulterated crap from people who think he's a hero.

He's a coward , if he had any balls at all , he'd admit to being in the IRA and acknowledge what he truly was not bask in unadulterated crap from people who think he's a hero.

he's not a coward. why would he admit to being in the ira when he wasn't, that would be just stupid. would you admit to something that wasn't true? of course you wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Actually, as things stand he is.
    On Christmas Eve 1973, he was one of three prisoners apprehended by warders while trying to cut their way through the perimeter fencing. In July 1974, according to Government files, he again attempted to escape by switching with a visitor at the Maze.

He was subsequently sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment for attempting to escape.

.....and if such things don't matter, or if he doesn't regard them as valid of legitimate, why launch an appeal to get them overturned?

he's not a coward. why would he admit to being in the ira when he wasn't, that would be just stupid. would you admit to something that wasn't true? of course you wouldn't.

It's worth googling the amount of ex IRA men who are saying he was a member.Now why would they say that ?
    Should be admit it now after years of denying it ,at the very least he'll be looked on as a liar in the world stage.
    He's a gormless coward , at least other men like McGuinness and Ferris acknowledged who they were instead of pretending they had no history.

• Advertisement

It's worth googling the amount of ex IRA men who are saying he was a member.Now why would they say that ?
    Should be admit it now after years of denying it ,at the very least he'll be looked on as a liar in the world stage.
    He's a gormless coward , at least other men like McGuinness and Ferris acknowledged who they were instead of pretending they had no history.

already pointed out to eotr but obviously to no benefit

his kind dont abide by facts never have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yep, the fifteen percent who vote SF....

Thugs, Thickos and terrorists / Terrorist sympathisers.

Actually, as things stand he is.

.....and if such things don't matter, or if he doesn't regard them as valid of legitimate, why launch an appeal to get them overturned?

small fry stuff. we'd all be at that if we were imprisoned because irish.

he's no coward. he was not in the ira so will not admit to something that wasn't true.
    zoobizoo wrote: »

fake news. most sf supporters do not condone terrorism and are not thugs. we do condone self-defence, which was what the ira campaign was. however, we also recognise that elements of the ira did do wrong in the form of killing civilians, and we condemn it.

Well, yes mostly.

http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-seamus-morris-resignation-3687956-Nov2017/

11 resignations mostly biased on bullying and dodgy dealings

He lead the ira and republican movement for 30 years in face of repeated assination attempts (I mean the man was literally shot up),after being tortured.....yet yous want to mouth off about him being a coward:confused:

I'm not quite sure what your criteria are for being a coward....but voluntarily incriminating oneself for the amusement/entertainment of Internet people deosnt seem rational thing to call someone a coward over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Third largest party in the state. Gas, isn't it?

• Advertisement

He lead the ira and republican movement for 30 years in face of repeated assination attempts (I mean the man was literally shot up),after being tortured.....yet yous want to mouth off about him being a coward:confused:

I'm not quite sure what your criteria are for being a coward....but voluntarily incriminating oneself for the amusement/entertainment of Internet people deosnt seem rational thing to call someone a coward over?

I think you and EOTR might want to have quiet word about whether or not he was in the IRA.

I think you and EOTR might want to have quiet word about whether or not he was in the IRA.

It takes incredible naivety to think he wasn't? ?

Only worsened by those who can't fathom why he won't incriminate himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There is no doubt he knows things about the underground republican movement that he will take to his grave. It's Sinn Feins attitudes to law and order that worry me the most should they ever get into power.

In other news as I asked in the politics forum, do we expect Gerry to run as a candidate for the next President of Ireland?
    I mean there's a TV series revolving around a town with a portal to an underworld so Stranger Things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Will he tell us where the rest of the bodies are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Saved by the hated dastardly British army actually. That maybe needs mentioning.

Also threw useful idiots like sands to their grave (per Richard o,rawe) as it helped the cause. Many years later dopey Irish Americans would be buying tickets to a fundraising banquet (and I’m not taking the piss here) in honour of jimmy sands and the others (who knows their names)

If I was part of the hunger strikers families I would be majorly peeved. (And some of them are)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement