Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Adams finally retires

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

small fry stuff. we'd all be at that if we were imprisoned because irish.

he's no coward. he was not in the ira so will not admit to something that wasn't true.

fake news. most sf supporters do not condone terrorism and are not thugs. we do condone self-defence, which was what the ira campaign was. however, we also recognise that elements of the ira did do wrong in the form of killing civilians, and we condemn it.

The IRA murdered women and children in the UK and NI in self defense? Thats a first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

timthumbni wrote: »
    Saved by the hated dastardly British army actually. That maybe needs mentioning.

Also threw useful idiots like sands to their grave (per Richard o,rawe) as it helped the cause. Many years later dopey Irish Americans would be buying tickets to a fundraising banquet (and I’m not taking the piss here) in honour of jimmy sands and the others (who knows their names)

If I was part of the hunger strikers families I would be majorly peeved. (And some of them are)

The British allowed the assination go ahead (with their colluding bubbies the uda)...but don't let facts get in your way :D:D

Good to see yous are worried about hunger strikers though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

flazio wrote: »
    There is no doubt he knows things about the underground republican movement that he will take to his grave. It's Sinn Feins attitudes to law and order that worry me the most should they ever get into power.

sinn feinn only have one attitude to law and order, that it is vital for the good of the country. they believe in law and order.
    flazio wrote: »
    In other news as I asked in the politics forum, do we expect Gerry to run as a candidate for the next President of Ireland?
    I mean there's a TV series revolving around a town with a portal to an underworld so Stranger Things have happened.

it would be great if he did run. he would make a fantastic president.
    Saved by the hated dastardly British army actually. That maybe needs mentioning.

Also threw useful idiots like sands to their grave (per Richard o,rawe) as it helped the cause. Many years later dopey Irish Americans would be buying tickets to a fundraising banquet (and I’m not taking the piss here) in honour of jimmy sands and the others (who knows their names)

If I was part of the hunger strikers families I would be majorly peeved. (And some of them are)

it was the british government who sent those brave men to their deaths for being irish and for standing up against the northern irish sectarian statelet.
    MadYaker wrote: »
    The IRA murdered women and children in the UK and NI in self defense? Thats a first.

i already covered that in the post you replied to. re-read it again.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

:D:D

Good to see yous are worried about hunger strikers though :)

Rest assured I’m not. Some of their families are though. And their cynical manipulation by gerry and sf. A fecking banquet for hunger strikers ff. Ye coundnt make it up... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

he's no coward. he was not in the ira so will not admit to something that wasn't true.

Gerry Adams is absolutely not a coward. He showed immense bravery throughout the Troubles and he is lucky to be alive today.

But he was a member of the IRA. There is no doubt in my mind on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

it would be great if he did run. he would make a fantastic president.

it was the british government who sent those “brave men”

And they say comedy is dead.. ;-)

Rest assured I’m not. Some of their families are though. And their cynical manipulation by gerry and sf. A fecking banquet for hunger strikers ff. Ye coundnt make it up... lol

Sure look it....let them off...they have every reason to complain tbf :)

I do feel it's wrong to cash in on their memory and in many cases gloss over the other young lads (and girls) what laid down.their lives for ireland on active service as politically difficult....either remember all our patriot dead or none

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Good Riddence as far I’m concerned.

The dogs on the street know who and what Gerry Adams truly is and to try and ignore or play down the things he was responsible for is at best woefully naive.

but he says that he wasn't. so as i believe in innocent until proven guilty i have to take that as fact until it's proven otherwise in a court of law.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

A tyrant is gone. A good day for Ulster and the island as a whole.

• Advertisement

Paisley is long dead lad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

but he says that he wasn't. so as i believe in innocent until proven guilty i have to take that as fact until it's proven otherwise in a court of law.

So did the "Nutting Squads" believe in "innocent until proven guilty" ?

Oh well if he says it then it must be true :rolleyes:

Come On - you can’t seriously be that blind to the truth.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    your deluded mate Adams is a criminal not a brave and respected hero

his main ingredient is the ability to manipulate the weak and stupid for his own ends

he's not a criminal. if you have evidence of him commiting crimes then by all means report it to the gardai. he is brave and is respected world wide for his strength. you don't have to like it but it is true.

He's a coward , if he had any balls at all , he'd admit to being in the IRA and acknowledge what he truly was not bask in unadulterated crap from people who think he's a hero.
    He is a coward but he probably does it either because he is a huge liar (which he is) or also that he is a mass murderer and responsible for ordering of the death of Jean Mcconville who got shot in the head and thrown into a pit leaving a family of 10 children behind. A real warrior indeed.

Oh well if he says it then it must be true rolleyes.png

Come On - you can’t seriously be that blind to the truth.

it's not the truth until it's proven to be the truth. until it's proven to be the truth, then it's speculation or a belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Outgoing Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams has said he "won't miss the Dáil" when he stands down as TD for Louth in the next general election.
    Speaking on RTE's The Week In Politics, he said: "I won't miss it at all at all. I think it's a small cosy little club. I think it has all of the worst aspects of the old British system."

He sounds like Fuaranach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Good Riddence as far I’m concerned.

The dogs on the street know who and what Gerry Adams truly is and to try and ignore or play down the things he was responsible for is at best woefully naive.

Those street dogs seem to hold sway with a lot on here. I think I'd prefer the judgement of the humans thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

He is a coward but he probably does it either because he is a huge liar (which he is) or also that he is a mass murderer and responsible for ordering of the death of Jean Mcconville who got shot in the head and thrown into a pit leaving a family of 10 children behind. A real warrior indeed.
    wasn't she a RUC informer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

oceanman wrote: »

So what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Are you allowed make a claim like this without proof?

You have an odd interpretation of the word coward. A coward will sit idly by and let others take action. He stood up the British when many others didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm shocked and saddened by this news.

Mainly because I assume this means a lot more Mary Lou on the horizon.

You have an odd interpretation of the word coward. A coward will sit idly by and let others take action. He stood up the British when many others didn't.

If he any guts at all , he'd acknowledge he was in the IRA.

So what?

well if she was an informant then she shouldn't have been and instead thought of her children.
    going telling tales wasn't going to end well, she knew what could would and unfortunately, did happen.
    in saying that i believe she didn't need to be killed, there was another way, no good came from killing her.
    but if one wanted to go telling tales to the RUCBAloyalists it wasn't going to end well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

well she shouldn't have been going telling tales.
    she knew what could would and did happen.
    in saying that i believe she didn't need to be killed, there was another way, no good came from killing her.
    but if one wanted to go telling tales to the RUCBA it wasn't going to end well for you.

You made my point. It still didn't mean she should have been murdered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Fuaranach wrote: »

As somebody who vividly remembers the attacks on Adams and Hume and the Peace Process from Independent Newspapers, Kevin Myers, John Bruton and Michael McDowell in the early 1990s. I'm absolutely delighted that he outlasted all the Sticky and Sunday Independent crowd, and even lived to see "Sir" Anthony O'Reilly's bankruptcy. Moreover, I'm proud that with the help of Fianna Fáil, John Hume, Irish-America and Bill Clinton he was allowed to help end conflict in Ireland and thus consign all those opponents to the wrong side of history.

Lovely to see the underdog win

There's currently a group of underdogs in the middle east struggling against despotic regimes. They wage non-conventional warfare because circumstances have forced them to. Despite a media ban and attempts at being at first ignored, or more recently killed, they are still fighting the fight, and have liberated many towns which they now police and provide civic services in. Their critics call them extremists and terrorists, but omelettes don't get made without breaking eggs. They've had a number of splits, but they're pretty good at keeping dissidents in line. However, they don't have the luxury of large numbers of backers in the US, and as such, the regime forces have recently managed to take back Deir ez-Zor.

They could do with your help Furanach. They actively look for people who are unwilling to listen to the lies spread by poppy wearing imperialists and their cronies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

small fry stuff. we'd all be at that if we were imprisoned because irish.

That's as may be......but you're contention he committed no crimes has been proven to be factually wrong. And clearly Gerry sees it as more than bring small fry stuff, or else why would he bother appealing it after over four decades?

You made my point. It still didn't mean she should have been murdered.

i agree. no good came from it. it wasn't needed. there had to have been another way.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    That's as may be......but you're contention he committed no crimes has been proven to be factually wrong. And clearly Gerry sees it as more than bring small fry stuff, or else why would he bother appealing it after over four decades?

it's only a crime if he was guilty. he wasn't guilty, so was therefore entitled to escape from prison, where he was held for being irish.

How is having a mother of 10 shot and buried standing up to the "British". It's a narrative some militant Republicans like to use but when faced with the facts it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. What was possibly honorable about it or soldier inspiring? Call it what it is, cold blooded murder, similar to the horrific murders Lenny Murphy carried out.

How is having a mother of 10 shot and buried standing up to the "British". It's a narrative some militant Republicans like to use but when faced with the facts it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. What was possibly honorable about it or soldier inspiring? Call it what it is, cold blooded murder, similar to the horrific murders Lenny Murphy carried out.
    I think you are missing a few chapters in your history (of Gerry Adams) book there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

i agree. no good came from it. it wasn't needed. there had to have been another way.

it's only a crime if he was guilty. he wasn't guilty, so was therefore entitled to escape from prison, where he was held for being irish.

So why go back to those self same courts for vindication?

Bit of a strange move for a "good republican" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

He did well to make it to a ripe age considering times he lived through, the 80's was a less media focused era with less international concern for lawless governments.
    British forces had itchy trigger fingers, and were a good deal bolder on the world stage.

If he's alive its not the result of the British govts fear of international condemnation, but because he had luck and brains and wasn't an easy target for Londons various machinations.

I consider him to have won in the end. He helped set the north on a path while living out his life fully.

Now he can sit back and watch the ill conceived gerrymandered micro-state of N.Ireland move further down the road to its inevitable fate.

A fate which he certainly hastened, hope he's around to see whatever resolution is finally agreed.

I think you are missing a few chapters in your history book there.
    A post which makes absolutely no sense. The thread is about Gerry Adams retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Watching a few old documentaries the last few days about the North,love or hate the man,he's had some life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Seriously when is

killing children
    kidnapping horses
    smuggling diesel
    hiding child abusers
    killing members of an garda
    knee capping teenagers

"Standing up to the british?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Thats naive. He can never ever admit it now but we all know. Who would blame him for joining anyway.

oceanman wrote: »

I think that’s been shown to be untrue - but even if it was nothing justifies the horrible things the IRA have done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Considering his length of service in the Dail his pension would be considerably lower than the the average industrial wage. Sometimes a little research is a benefit.

MPs pension? The irony.... if he gets that....

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

he's not a coward. why would he admit to being in the ira when he wasn't, that would be just stupid. would you admit to something that wasn't true? of course you wouldn't.

Ah here. EVERYBODY knows he was in the IRA.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People would have so much more respect for him if he'd just admit it.

• Advertisement

MPs pension? The irony.... if he gets that....

the least compensation he should be paid.

I know if I was living in the 6 I'd be claiming every penny I could.

Add me to the GB taxpayers subvention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

Hopefully the authoritarianism system will end with Gerry leaving .

greencap wrote: »
    the least compensation he should be paid.

I know if I was living in the 6 I'd be claiming every penny I could.

Add me to the GB taxpayers subvention.

For a job he never did? From a parliament he never sat in? Hilarious

Terry Pratchet

nope wrong, they suspect he was in the IRA. big difference

no point in him admitting to something that wasn't true, that would just make him a liar.

it can be compensation for having to live under sectarian rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Keep an eye on Eoin O'Broin.

But he is probably far too articulate and calm. Oh and he is not anointed either, forgot that.

I have no time for SF, but if O'Broin doesn't get a look in anytime soon either as Leader, or Deputy Leader I can happily say that SF only wants puppets. And anointed ones.

Anyway Gerry Adams will be in the background forever, as long as he is capable, pulling the strings. I have no proof of that, but instinct is a good measure sometimes.

For what he had to endure from Londons colonial aspirations and their orange sectarian experiment.

How many lives did Londons bigoted little game of quest screw up.

Its not like they didn't have previous examples to reflect on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I'm shocked and saddened by this news.

Mainly because I assume this means a lot more Mary Lou on the horizon.

Pearse Doherty will be on a lot more too. Oh the joy!

Wouldn't celebrate just yet. Think this may be a publicity stunt. The people on this island will be safer when he finally goes.
    Keep an eye on Eoin O'Broin.

He is a clever fellow but he isn't top tier SF material yet. Not bitter enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He will only retire when he is lowered into the ground

nope wrong, they suspect he was in the IRA. big difference

no point in him admitting to something that wasn't true, that would just make him a liar.

it can be compensation for having to live under sectarian rule.

Isn't it a wonder Gerry never sued anyone at all for saying he was in the IRA .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

On the plus side...he's taking Martin Ferris with him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement