Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic / wall insulation over old garage conversion

• 18-11-2017 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I have a 1970s bungalow where the garage at the end was converted into the kitchen and dining room..
    The insulation in general is bad, some old rockwool from years ago between the joists in original house part ,, nothing in cavity walls..and the garage converted gable is just single leaf blocks laid on their side so no cavity atall.. also the garage was a flat roof that was then extended up and pitched roof added to match the rest of the roof.

So this means above the kitchen and dining room there is a old tar and felt roof with absolutely no insulation material.. it's not actually much colder than rest of the house but assuming the tar is acting as some kind of insulation...

The house is cold so I want to insulate..but I have limited budget..
    If I had money I know I should pump the cavity walls and Probably spray foam insulate the rest of the attic... Then put external insulation on the non cavity wall parts..

What I'm wondering is if I just go and buy a heap of rolls of insulation and lay it straight on the tar roof will it work? Or would I be wasting my time? It would be a massive job to take the tar up its about 40mm thick and very hard to remove.. (had to take a.few bits up to put lights in below)

Also would I be better off pumping the walls or insulating the attic?

Basically want to know which will get me bang for buck, as I know I will have to do it all eventually but can't afford it now, want to do the biggest impact now.

if I put rolls up myself can I just roll it out on top.of what's there or will I need to cut it out and run between joists?

Thanks in advance for any help.. let me know if not clear..I understand it's a bit confusing

Advertisement