Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar cravings

Options
  • 19-11-2017 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    Im sober 31 days today and so far so good, I'm feeling very positive.
    My social life has taken a complete dive, which I expected and I'm at bit of a loss as to how to cope with the boredom. The dark evenings aren't helping.
    BUT, my biggest problem is I'm eating my bodyweight in sugar. I can't get enough of the stuff and I'm piling on the weight.
    Has anyone any tips on how to overcome this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lady Mac

Derjo wrote: »
    Hi
    Im sober 31 days today and so far so good, I'm feeling very positive.
    My social life has taken a complete dive, which I expected and I'm at bit of a loss as to how to cope with the boredom. The dark evenings aren't helping.
    BUT, my biggest problem is I'm eating my bodyweight in sugar. I can't get enough of the stuff and I'm piling on the weight.
    Has anyone any tips on how to overcome this?
    Thanks

Hi Derjo,

I'm 2.5 years in and still struggle with this but I've come to accept that sometimes, when things get particularly tough or I'm bored to the point where I'm considering why I'm sober, it's better to just eat the bloody sugar and try to counterbalance it with a workout the next day. In my experience the cravings also slowed down after a few months and my interest in being physically active increased.

Now this is not necessarily the right advice. I'm sure others would say that you need to get to the bottom of what you're eating over (as in are you eating to deal with an emotional problem) but in my experience life is just a bit blah sometimes and sugar can be the way through.

Either way don't beat yourself up at this stage as it's amazing to have so many sober days and that might need to be your focus right now.

Good luck

B

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Derjo

Thanks for the reply B,
    I made myself hop onto the treadmill last night, it nearly killed me but I wasn't hungry afterwards. Hopefully that will help

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭biketard

Hi Derjo, firstly good for you. Secondly, it's completely normal for your body to be looking for something to replace the drinks with. The trick, of course, is to find a replacement that isn't bad for you, ha.

A few months back I curbed my daily beers and of course found myself craving something to replace them with. I've ended up substituting them with tea (decaf, otherwise I can't get to sleep). As for snacks, I've been eating a lot of things like (unsalted) nuts and raisins. Even nuts have a fairly high fat content, but I'm not going to feel bad about eating them given how much worse it could be.

I've also been doing a lot more sports (good from both a health and a social perspective).

Anyway, best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Garrett81

There is a organic sugar called xylitol you can get in a health shop or Holland and Barrett. It’s brilliant and actually tastes like sugar, way better than all them sweetners. I won’t drink a cup of tea without it, I’m using it over a year, the weight fell off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Garrett81 wrote: »
    There is a organic sugar called xylitol you can get in a health shop or Holland and Barrett. It’s brilliant and actually tastes like sugar, way better than all them sweetners. I won’t drink a cup of tea without it, I’m using it over a year, the weight fell off me!

Be careful of xylitol though, if you have a dog.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_xylitol_toxicity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As said it's totally normal and it's early days so although it's not healthy in the long run it seemed to help my OH get through the first few months. I'd rather see him with a bar of chocolate than a can any day. With him anyway the sugar cravings calmed down a lot, he was mad for it fir 4-5 months. He's now kinda hooked on Lucozade he'd go through one or two bottles a day and I think that's why he's not eating as much chocolate. In general he eats healthy though but enjoys his food a lot more than he did. It's great to see but only just today he said he needs to cut down on the Lucozade and wants to switch to mi wadi obviously none of these drinks are great but I do think over time it eases off and it will with you too. Right now I wouldn't be too hard on yourself but maybe start as you mean to go on, everyone needs to treat themselves. Give it time, slowly switch to even something like seedless grapes. They taste more sugary than some sweets but it's a natural sugar. OH brother gave up drinking for a whole (sadly went back to it but who knows over time) and he was the sane eating biscuits, chocolate and doughnuts till it came out of his ears.

Advertisement