Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for a springer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

garv123 wrote: »
    I've started giving my lab and springer pups (10 & 8 months) on a tin of sardines in tomato with their nuts after reading this thread.

A whopping 34c per tin in aldi.

Would the tomato sauce have any benefits? I thought maybe the oil one would be more beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

For the small amount of tomato or oil they're getting it's much of a muchness - just avoid ones tinned in brine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

Eddie B wrote: »
    Would the tomato sauce have any benefits? I thought maybe the oil one would be more beneficial.
    tomato sauce/puree is used to fight against lactic acid build up in the muscles of the running dogs ,,i include it at times when some hard long runs are expected...so its not a bad thing,i go for fish in oil every time,a tin of sardines or mackerel fillets 3 times a week for each dog,great for their coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

How much nuts are ya giving you’re dog’s, Ive started my dog on red mills engage and I’d been giving him roughly 250grams a day, I spoke to a redmills rep and she recommended around 400grams for this time of year, (1 tea cup=100grams)
    I’d my dog done for a check up and the vet said he was fine, I’d him back with the lad I bought him from and he said he looks a bit skinny,
    My done weighs 14kg,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Did you weigh out the portion of nuts or are you using an actual teacup? Cups are an actual measurement but deal with volume verses weight so unless the manufacture is actualy talking US Cups then the feed may be off. Pre-weigh a full portion and using a plastic bottle or jug, mark off your portion so you don't have to weigh each time. I found that we where very inconsistent with the dry feed on our other dog, so the weighing and use of a marked jug brought it all in line for both dogs.
    I'm feeding the cocker (14-15Kg) with 280g a day with a half a small block of dog pate mashed in ( I'm a big softy) and sardines twice weekly. I run her out every day and she's in good condition.

• Advertisement

Did you weigh out the portion of nuts or are you using an actual teacup? Cups are an actual measurement but deal with volume verses weight so unless the manufacture is actualy talking US Cups then the feed may be off. Pre-weigh a full portion and using a plastic bottle or jug, mark off your portion so you don't have to weigh each time. I found that we where very inconsistent with the dry feed on our other dog, so the weighing and use of a marked jug brought it all in line for both dogs.
    I'm feeding the cocker (14-15Kg) with 280g a day with a half a small block of dog pate mashed in ( I'm a big softy) and sardines twice weekly. I run her out every day and she's in good condition.

Redmills do a plastic cup with the weights on it, 400grams just seems like an awful lot, now if I’m putting an egg or tuna I adjust the amount of nuts, I’ll attach a pic of the redmills measures,
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

The feed reps will just tell you want it says on the side of the bag for the most part - feed what suits your dog, if he's a bit light add a little and if he's heavy take a bit away. Weigh out what you feed so it's consistent.

Springwell wrote: »
    The feed reps will just tell you want it says on the side of the bag for the most part - feed what suits your dog, if he's a bit light add a little and if he's heavy take a bit away. Weigh out what you feed so it's consistent.

Yeah I was gauging it myself, if I’d him out for a big run/walk I’d give him some extra or something extra like tuna or an egg,
    Don’t want to be starving him either,
    Thanks all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ive changed my springer and lab over to Nutts Worker Complete mix. Its a cereal museli mix.
    http://www.nuttsaboutpets.ie/product/worker-complete-mix/

A lot less crap in the runs since I changed over from the Gain or Feedwell, A lot easier to clean up too.

Feedwell Was absolute crap!! Certain lads on Facebook promoting it daily, Must be getting it for free with the amount of promoting they do.

garv123 wrote: »
    Ive changed my springer and lab over to Nutts Worker Complete mix. Its a cereal museli mix.
    http://www.nuttsaboutpets.ie/product/worker-complete-mix/

A lot less crap in the runs since I changed over from the Gain or Feedwell, A lot easier to clean up too.

Feedwell Was absolute crap!! Certain lads on Facebook promoting it daily, Must be getting it for free with the amount of promoting they do.

Since I started increasing the amount of nuts I give my dog, I’ve noticed his crap’s much more solid and there’s less of it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Ronn

I'd stick with the cup measures if it's supplied. But your right it seems a bit too much.

I looked at the recommended portions and guess-tamated the weight based on my dogs actual weight. I've had here weighed over a regular period and she hasn't changed so I think I've got the mark. So I can only surgest that you start off light and monitor it's weight and performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

On NETFLIX last night i found a documentary called PET FOOLED ...worth a waych by top vets that study all dog nuts and ingridients..it will open your eyes to the destruction these ready made foods do to your dogs body

Advertisement