Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Walking Dead | Season 8 | Episode 5 | The Big Scary U [AMC] [SPOILERS]

• 19-11-2017 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭

The Walking Dead - Season 8

Episode 5 - "The Big Scary U"

Airdate - November 19th on AMC at 9/8c | November 20th on FOX UK at 9PM

A close look at Negan and the lives of the Saviors during the conflict through a familiar set of eyes

* This is a slightly extended 73 minute episode, including commercials

Promo

Sneak Peek

How did you rate this episode? 59 votes

0%
    1%
    Rosie Rant 1 vote
    6%
    ArmaniJeanssricerotreade1ebbsy 4 votes
    18%
    Washoutmachiavellianmestorkerwillowthewispirish_stevo815Cantona's Collarsalchemist33downesyRichie71sabhailD3V!L 11 votes
    25%
    SimiGBXNUTZZCollie Dskipper_GA New earthnok2008terryduff12Casey78readyletsgoAlonso77[Deleted User]Bret HartNoel82jrkb 15 votes
    18%
    big sykeTerrorFirmerWibbsDuffcharlietheminxxfoozzybear61Foreign SportscoolisincrustybladuffysfarmOkon 11 votes
    11%
    Darth MelkorfranklyonMonifeRoger HassenforderAgent CoulsonMac BKeplar240B 7 votes
    8%
    HippoZero-CoolmojesiusEncrypted PigeonGwynplaine 5 votes
    6%
    geeceegoose06promethiusforumuser 4 votes
    1%
    Liamalone 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

no comments yet? i must be the only one watching this anymore....
    i thought it was an interesting enough episode in that there were no rubbish gunfights and it allowed a bit of character development. i thought neegan and fr gabriel took an interesting turn and it will be interesting to see where this goes. the worse part is the former leader of the hilltop - what a crap acter.
    also it looked as if there are not many soldiers/armed people left with the saviors unless they have another couple of outposts that we dont know about........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm still watching it :). It's my Monday evening TV entertainment after the Mrs goes to bed.
    TBH though, overall, this season has been really silly and has taken one too many leaves out of the A-Team book. But I'll persevere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I think this speaks for itself.

https://tenor.com/view/swinging-dick-gif-4899391

As for the episode I don't know what to think anymore, That Daryl and Rick thing was just stupid and completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I enjoyed that more than anything else this season , The saviors is much more interesting than any of the other places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Where are the rubbish tip people and the tribe of lezbots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

First decent episode in a long while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Lots of positive reviews;
    The Walking Dead Just Delivered Its Best Episode in Ages

If there’s a reason we’ve all kept watching The Walking Dead after its last two lackluster seasons, I’d hazard a guess that last night’s episode is why. “The Big Scary U” was a reminder that the show can be legitimately excellent TV thanks to its first truly thoughtful and compelling look at Negan—and the reason why he calls his people the Saviors.
    The Walking Dead Villain Watch season 8, episode 5: The Big Scary U
    The show’s strongest week in months finally contains Negan

If there was a moment fans have been waiting for this season, last night’s episode was it. The Walking Dead brought Negan back, and put him in a spotlight that he actually earned for once. Not only did we see many different sides to him, but we got our first morsel of backstory, something the character has desperately needed since his introduction roughly 18 months ago.

Also, a standout moment...the helicopter!

5a12959f39727cdb008b4598-1136-852.jpg

The first time Rick has seen one since season 1. Lots of theories, the main ones being;

1. Rick is hallucinating.

2. It belongs to the Saviors. (Simon made a reference to a "flyer" in Sunday's episode.)

3. It has something to do with the show's spin-off, "Fear the Walking Dead.

4. It's from a story arc we haven't seen in the comics yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭geecee

for those that are confused about the above helicopter post (like I was!)
    The running time is S03E05 is 51 minutes... So some of the sources have the final 4 minutes chopped off.... So make sure you watch the full version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

geecee wrote: »
    for those that are confused about the above helicopter post (like I was!)
    The running time is S03E05 is 51 minutes... So some of the sources have the final 4 minutes chopped off.... So make sure you watch the full version!

That's weird because all episodes are 45 minutes long.....

listermint wrote: »
    That's weird because all episodes are 45 minutes long.....

Ahem...:pac:
    NUTZZ wrote: »
    The Walking Dead - Season 8

Episode 5 - "The Big Scary U"

Airdate - November 19th on AMC at 9/8c | November 20th on FOX UK at 9PM

* This is a slightly extended 73 minute episode, including commercials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well tickle my balls and call me Suzie an actual interesting episode!
    The risk and daryl scene was stupid though and wtf?? I didn't see any helicopter..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

bear1 wrote: »
    Well tickle my balls and call me Suzie an actual interesting episode!
    The risk and daryl scene was stupid though and wtf?? I didn't see any helicopter..

You must be missing the end so. What was up with gab near the end?

Lots of positive reviews;

Also, a standout moment...the helicopter!

5a12959f39727cdb008b4598-1136-852.jpg

The first time Rick has seen one since season 1. Lots of theories, the main ones being;

1. Rick is hallucinating.

2. It belongs to the Saviors. (Simon made a reference to a "flyer" in Sunday's episode.)

3. It has something to do with the show's spin-off, "Fear the Walking Dead.

4. It's from a story arc we haven't seen in the comics yet.

There is a helicopter floating around the latest season of fear the walking dead

Reggie. wrote: »

The last scene for me is when negan and Gabriel walk in, gives a speech and then it ends.
    Had to check YouTube but that just has the helicopter scene and negan telling the nerdy bastard to find out what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Reggie. wrote:

He was sick from the zombie guts. Negan alludes to getting ill from it while they were in the cabin. Negan got a shower and a sambo, while Gabe was chucked into the wardrobe for the night and left to sit in the zombie waste.

I'd say he had an almighty dose of the scutters.

The last scene for me is when negan and Gabriel walk in, gives a speech and then it ends.
    Had to check YouTube but that just has the helicopter scene and negan telling the nerdy bastard to find out what happened

The priest gets brought to the closet that daryl was kept in. Rick also walks towards a compound which could be the dump people that double crossed him before (this is where he sees the helicopter as he is walking down the road) . The nerdy bastard visits the priest in the closet but it seems he is having a kind of panic attack in there and tells the nerd that the hilltops doctor has to be rescued at all costs and immediately

Pete Moss wrote: »
    He was sick from the zombie guts. Negan alludes to getting ill from it while they were in the cabin. Negan got a shower and a sambo, while Gabe was chucked into the wardrobe for the night and left to sit in the zombie waste.

I'd say he had an almighty dose of the scutters.

Panic attack maybe? Claustrophobic?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Reggie. wrote:
    Panic attack maybe? Claustrophobic?

Good thinking, but he was sick from the zombie guts. It's why it was mentioned earlier in the episode and, without giving too much away, ties somewhat into the comic storyline.

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Good thinking, but he was sick from the zombie guts. It's why it was mentioned earlier in the episode and, without giving too much away, ties somewhat into the comic storyline.

It will be strange if that's the case as the the spin off show they are covered every 5 mins in the stuff sometimes for days and no one has been sick yet.

Just watched again the helicopter scene, it looks military?

• Advertisement

Just watched again the helicopter scene, it looks military?

Always love the way they use hueys as the military helicopters even tho blackhawks are the backbone of the US military's heli fleet

Always love the way they use hueys as the military helicopters even tho blackhawks are the backbone of the US military's heli fleet

Maybe they don't show the actual military version due to cost and it would be too apparent?
    Still, all in all a good episode which makes me annoyed that they had this talent before but decided to just **** around with utter drivel.
    I hope next week's episode doesn't go back to normal.

The scene in question, for anyone who missed it;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

The scene in question, for anyone who missed it;

Just watched it. Was actually a good episode. Been about a season and a half since it's interested me. I still watch each week thought.

So that helicopter..... People online saying it could be from ftwd, something to do with the crossover. I don't think so. I think the crossover is gonna be with negan and his first wife.....

The helicopter, I hope, is from a military base or something. The show needs a serious shake up, something like that for a couple episodes could do it, with a few twists on the base.

So that helicopter..... People online saying it could be from ftwd, something to do with the crossover. I don't think so. I think the crossover is gonna be with negan and his first wife.....

The helicopter, I hope, is from a military base or something. The show needs a serious shake up, something like that for a couple episodes could do it, with a few twists on the base.

I agree, I feel it's potentially far too big a story to be the planned cross-over, and also I think too soon in production as well.

One sentiment that summed up the helicopter scene for me perfectly was;

"In a moment with such high stakes and everything Rick has built on the line, a helicopter flies over to remind him and the audience how small the feud with Negan might actually be. The sense of mystery and world building was instantly renewed within The Walking Dead, during one of its best episodes of Season 8, nonetheless."

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Where are the rubbish tip people and the tribe of lezbots?

Jadis and the 'rubbish tip people'
    return in next weeks episode.

Just watched it. Was actually a good episode. Been about a season and a half since it's interested me. I still watch each week thought.

The crossover will be interesting as the timeline in fear the walking dead is a few months into the outbreak which is too far for negans wife but not far enough to catch up with TWD timeline. How far is TWD from the outbreak? 2 or 3 years?

What I can't understand us why there is no sign of any military of any kind or even the navy. Surely the navy would be safe enough out on a floating flotilla off the coast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Best episode for quite some time. Some backstory for Negan was welcome and long overdue.

I hope it continues like this.

The crossover will be interesting as the timeline in fear the walking dead is a few months into the outbreak which is too far for negans wife but not far enough to catch up with TWD timeline. How far is TWD from the outbreak? 2 or 3 years?

TWD is roughly only about 20 months from the outbreak, as hard as Judith and Carl make that to believe. Maggie is currently 2 months pregnant, confirmed by Josh McDermitt. People find the timeline hard to believe when you consider the amount of real life time that has passed, but to put it in perspective, all of season seven took place over the course of just 19 days

It's heavenly rumoured that when the cross-over does happen, it will possibly be a flash back with one of the main TWD characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,327 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I personally don't think the introduction of the helicopter has anything to do with a crossover story. It's fair to assume that some military and civilian aircraft just like ground vehicles would be at the survivors disposal, remember that the Governor had a tank at his disposal. Rick and the team also found lots of grounded military aircraft outside the CDC towards the end of season 1 too. For me this helicopter could just be another group or something the Saviors acquired on their travels.

From what I've read about the crossover with FTWD it's going to be based in Houston, Texas which would suggest that it involved Abraham and his then alive wife who originally came from there. Remember that FTWD is set about 4/5 years behind TWD so any crossover most could involve characters before they met up with Rick and the other core group.

Good episode btw, facetime with Negan gave us a better in depth into his persona which was lacking up to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

bazz26 wrote: »
    I personally don't think the introduction of the helicopter has anything to do with a crossover story. It's fair to assume that some military and civilian aircraft just like ground vehicles would be at the survivors disposal, remember that the Governor had a tank at his disposal. Rick and the team also found lots of grounded military aircraft outside the CDC towards the end of season 1 too. For me this helicopter could just be another group or something the Saviors acquired on their travels.

From what I've read about the crossover with FTWD it's going to be based in Houston, Texas which would suggest that it involved Abraham and his then alive wife who originally came from there. Remember that FTWD is set about 4/5 years behind TWD so any crossover most could involve characters before they met up with Rick and the other core group.

Good episode btw, facetime with Negan gave us a better in depth into his persona which was lacking up to now.
    No, it's not. The timeline of the show is around 2 years. As FTWD is set immediately after the crisis starts it is, at most, 2 years behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The show was really crying out for something different to stir things up and potentially the helicopter has given it that opportunity.
    I’m really hoping it is military, or some proper organization, and not belonging to Negan.

Maybe the writers are reading this thread, didn't we all beg for something like a plane to fly overhead last week? :D
    My crossover theory, remember in season 1 when Rick gets to Atlanta he sees the reflection of a helicopter on one of the sky scrapers?
    I think this could be the tie in.
    Not sure how far Atlanta is from Texas but that could be a good one..
    I hope though it doesn't become a permanent crossover cause I think ftwd would turn into the bore that is twd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,327 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    No, it's not. The timeline of the show is around 2 years. As FTWD is set immediately after the crisis starts it is, at most, 2 years behind.

I guess Carl and Judith are fast growers then. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Best ep so far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The trash heap people hardly have the helicopter? I see at the start of the episode the woman who plays their leader was mentioned in the credits.
    The law of averages states that amongst all the groups surely someone can fly an aircraft.

IMO this was the best episode of the current series. An insight into Negan and the 2 different mindsets of Daryl and Rick turning into a fist fight as Daryl wanted to be a vengeful conqueror while Rick wanted to be a liberator.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

Exactly, FTWD was only 2 months from the outbreak at the end of season 2. We are only at 2-3 months now at the end of season 3.

It was mentioned by producers during the second half of season 2 in FTWD that we were approaching roughly the same time as Rick was waking from his coma in TWD, which was day 59 after the outbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

im fairly sure a faction that shows up in fdw mentions heading towards the main show area at some stage and they have choppers and all and trade routes and all sorts of stuff, so it would be cool if it turned out to be them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Are we really to believe that Rick was in a coma for near enough 59 days, completely unattended with no fluids, medical attention or food? He'd have been dead from dehydration in a week!

Also I think TWD timeline will forever be guesswork for most people, and I think the producers mess around with it to suit the story tbh. As I have said on many occasions, Judith should really be the yardstick, so to speak. She would have been born roughly one year after the outbreak, as Lori wasn't pregnant for the first couple of months of their timeline. She's now a sturdy toddler, she looks to be at least two years old if not more. I dunno. *throws hands in the air*.

Anyway, back to the episode - I enjoyed this one a bit more. I though Gabriel handled his encounter with Negan quite well, although of course we all wanted him to just shoot him when he got the gun!!

I had a feeling a Rickyl fight was on the cards from last weeks episode, but of course we know the guys still wouldn't hesitate to rescue each other if captured or in a dangerous situation. I'm guessing they'll be back to being 'brothers' soon. Tbh a disagreement was inevitable at some stage.

It was interesting to see a little more of the Saviours and how they live. I had forgotten that they had 'workers' in the Sanctuary who aren't part of the fighting elite. I wonder will this underclass end up siding with Rick when a number of them are inevitably sacrificed by the Saviours in order to escape, as was suggested as a tactic in the episode?

It looks like we'll see Jadis in the next episode. I just can't with this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

bazz26 wrote: »
    I guess Carl and Judith are fast growers then. :D
    They should have recast Judith each season to be honest. Can't really do that with Carl, but in the comics, until something come up, he hadn't grown that much like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

That was much better. I think that was the first episode since his introduction that Negan came across like a human being as opposed to the cartoon-like figure he has been.

I've only scanned the reviews and one of them mentioned something which I agree with. Why did we have to see Negan's meeting at the start, which led us up to the scene where Rick's gang attacked them in episode 1? Or at least why did it go on for so long? We knew what happened with Gregory, who btw is still painful to watch. Dwight is a great character though, I hope he gets more screen time.

It's amazing how a single shot of a helicopter flying overhead can change people's whole outlook of the show! And I'm not having a dig, my eyes widened too. Very interesting. And surely it can't be just Rick who would have seen it?

Not sure about the Rick and Daryl stuff. There was a sense in the last couple of episodes that something was brewing alright but it was still a bit unexpected to see them brawling. It felt a bit forced. But overall a big improvement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

That was much better. I think that was the first episode since his introduction that Negan came across like a human being as opposed to the cartoon-like figure he has been.

I've only scanned the reviews and one of them mentioned something which I agree with. Why did we have to see Negan's meeting at the start, which led us up to the scene where Rick's gang attacked them in episode 1? Or at least why did it go on for so long? We knew what happened with Gregory, who btw is still painful to watch. Dwight is a great character though, I hope he gets more screen time.

It's amazing how a single shot of a helicopter flying overhead can change people's whole outlook of the show! And I'm not having a dig, my eyes widened too. Very interesting. And surely it can't be just Rick who would have seen it?

Not sure about the Rick and Daryl stuff. There was a sense in the last couple of episodes that something was brewing alright but it was still a bit unexpected to see them brawling. It felt a bit forced. But overall a big improvement.
    My guess is that they wanted to show the tension between Simon and Negan over how disposable the workers should be. Could come into play more as the season progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

good episode....rick and daryl was a bit wasted but possibly setting scene for later episodes.

saviors are getting interesting , nice to see a bit of exploration there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I thought the rubbish tip people died, find them rather strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Wibbs wrote: »
    Best ep so far.

Negan was great...the helicopter gave me suspense I haven't felt in ages.
    It's made me mad to see the next episode for the first time in a year or 2.
    Small things but imo made a massive difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Really not so bad an episode. The last one was good, and this one was reasonably solid as well. Both were vastly better than the first three episodes which were a farce. And as far as I'm concerned it very much shows that JDR is very capable of playing a good Negan - and that Negan is a great character - just ham-stringed by the money grabbing screws in charge of the show who want to wring it out like a wet napkin. And I agree with the above - that helicopter really lit a fire. Please god don't let the writers squander it!

edit - and please god not the bin people as we know them. That image of the "warrior" with the umbrella casually hoping off the back of the truck in the last season actually haunts my dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There was a helicopter...

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

There was a helicopter...

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yep

Just watched the episode, so happy to see something like that.

I will be thrilled again I'm sure in season 12 when we see a flash of a heli again :D

Really enjoyed that episode, more so then any in a long time. I will actually tune in at premiere time next week now when I have been happy to just watch at some point during the week

Other then the forced conflict with Rick and Daryl which felt stupid it was great!

The guts are making the priest ill, which is fine. It was mentioned in the trailer but how come they didn't make them ill in season 1?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

At the end, was daryll saying that they were gonna get rid of rick in the post credits scene?

• Advertisement
Advertisement