Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling in CT1 for the first time - how to avoid paying double in tax?

• 19-11-2017 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,
    I'm currently filling in the CT1 form for the first time. Unfortunately, accountancy is not my strong suite and I have not made enough profits to justify hiring an accountant.  
    Basically, I started up a company when ran for only 5 months in 2016 and 2017.  I have done the P30 and P35 forms and now the CT1 forms.
    I've paid for taxes for both P30 and P35 forms.  But it looks like I calculated the tax for myself (as employee) which I have paid off.  And then on top of that I am also paying for tax for my P35 form.
    I am now filling in my CT1 form and yes it looks like I have still yet to pay more tax.  I can't tell which part of the forms that I am filling in that I have already paid tax as an employee for P30 and P35 and as for a company.
    Basically, as an example.  I made 2562 gross profits in 2016 only working for a couple of months and I already paid 615 in taxes.  Now for the CT1 form it is calculating I owe another 320 in taxes.
    Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

Start at the beginning you are an employee of th company your salary is taxed and that tax is paid over on a P 30.

Then at the end of the year the company does a P35, this should have no liability as the p30s should have dealt with it.

If at the end of the accounting year there is a profit after salary then that is subject to Corporation tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

as above the payroll taxes (dealt with in p30/35) are separate from corporation tax. ct is based your trading profits - gp less allowable expenses (light, heat, internet, gross salaries, legal fees, etc). there may be disallowable expenses (for ct purposes)such as depreciation that get added back to your trading profit, before calculating the ct charge.

there are reliefs available:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/investment/start-your-own-business-relief/index.aspx

Advertisement