Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a fitbit

• 19-11-2017 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Hi All

I want to buy my wife one of these, but I know absolutely nothing about them.
    She is not a runner or anything. Just walking and measure heart rate sleep etc., a basic enough one I guess....
    So can anyone recommend one?
    Is there an alternative to 'fitbit' that is better/cheaper etc?
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Xiaomi Mi Band 2.

https://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_362705.html?wid=21&utm_source=tt_de

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/xiaomi-mi-band-2

Take her out for dinner with the money you save. She'll think you're a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaVidaEsAsi

Mezcita wrote: »

Xiaomi Mi Band 2.

Take her out for dinner with the money you save. She'll think you're a legend.

I've also been thinking of a fitbit for a Christmas present. I've never even heard of xiaomi (shows how much I know about fitness!) but that is quite a bit cheaper! I'd nearly give it a go myself for that price.

Surely there have got to be some drawbacks though in comparison to a fitbit? Maybe fitbits offer more detailed metrics for serious fitness fanatics and xiaomi is for, well, the likes of myself (counting daily steps and that). I really wouldn't know though and would have to look into it. I also wonder would the Xiaomi be as durable and long-lasting.

Do you have one Mezcita? If so, how would you recommend it?

I've had a xiaomi mi and I prefer my fitbit tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

I have a Fitbit charge and love it but abandoning it for a Garmin Vivoactive shortly as I only want it for running really bit like the other features.
    Fit bit charge good for telling sleep and steps and has a good diff number of workouts can do - just not very good in terms of running data as I want more than the basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

bluewolf wrote: »
    I've had a xiaomi mi and I prefer my fitbit tbh

Can you give us reasons why? Another poster and me both want one for presents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I've also been thinking of a fitbit for a Christmas present. I've never even heard of xiaomi (shows how much I know about fitness!) but that is quite a bit cheaper! I'd nearly give it a go myself for that price.

Surely there have got to be some drawbacks though in comparison to a fitbit? Maybe fitbits offer more detailed metrics for serious fitness fanatics and xiaomi is for, well, the likes of myself (counting daily steps and that). I really wouldn't know though and would have to look into it. I also wonder would the Xiaomi be as durable and long-lasting.

Do you have one Mezcita? If so, how would you recommend it?

Got one for my brother in law and he's a fan of it. Good thread about it here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103918586

Xiaomi are a very big brand in China as they sell more phones there than Apple. Their stuff tends to be very well made relative to the price.

Edit: Gearbest are selling them cheap this Friday.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/from-2411-gearbest-black-friday-offers-xiaomi-miband-2-at-a-silly-763-xiaomi-mi-6-4g-23917-tanix-tx9-pro-tv-box-2827-see-op-for-more-2834314

clogher71 wrote: »
    Can you give us reasons why? Another poster and me both want one for presents.

I found the xiaomi hard to get tracking my sleep - i think i hadn't been successful by the time i gave up - and there was no display on it iirc. i do check the display a lot for time / calories / steps etc. i enjoy adding friends on fitbit as well and a bunch of us do daily step 'challenges' together etc. I have the very basic fitbit which i'm not even sure if they sell anymore.

So nothing major really, i wouldn't say oh never buy the xiaomi and maybe i had a cheaper version of it - just prefer fitbit

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaVidaEsAsi

Mezcita wrote: »
    Got one for my brother in law and he's a fan of it. Good thread about it here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103918586

Xiaomi are a very big brand in China as they sell more phones there than Apple. Their stuff tends to be very well made relative to the price.

Edit: Gearbest are selling them cheap this Friday.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/from-2411-gearbest-black-friday-offers-xiaomi-miband-2-at-a-silly-763-xiaomi-mi-6-4g-23917-tanix-tx9-pro-tv-box-2827-see-op-for-more-2834314
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I found the xiaomi hard to get tracking my sleep - i think i hadn't been successful by the time i gave up - and there was no display on it iirc. i do check the display a lot for time / calories / steps etc. i enjoy adding friends on fitbit as well and a bunch of us do daily step 'challenges' together etc. I have the very basic fitbit which i'm not even sure if they sell anymore.

So nothing major really, i wouldn't say oh never buy the xiaomi and maybe i had a cheaper version of it - just prefer fitbit

Thanks to you both!

I'm thinking I will go with the Xiaomi. This person i'm buying for is a bit of a novice with all this, but it's good to hear that Xiaomi are a big brand and there is some quality to the product even at the lower price. Mezcita, I noticed on the other thread you linked to - someone mentioned very good battery life as well, that's always good!

bluewolf, I will bear in mind what you said about the sleep tracking and probably do a bit of research online over the next day or two on that, but will more than likely add the Xiaomi to the Black Friday online shopping list.

Thanks for pointing out the Gearbest deal Mezcita! That's some deal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If getting the FITBIT, don't get the SURGE model as it has a habit of blistering on the strap and eventually disintegrating. Not sure of the other models, but had grief with 2 Surges. See the reviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Cocksy

Fitbit Flex 2 is a great budget fitness tracker

• Advertisement
Advertisement