Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway - Luck or confidence?

Options
  • 19-11-2017 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello Galway,
    My name is Georgios and I am 31 years old. Originally from Greece, I have been living and working in Los Angeles for the last 6 years. This coming May, I made the decision to move to Ireland. Land in Dublin, stay there for 2 days and then I have made arrangements to stay 40 days in Galway.
    The reason I chose Galway is because, living in LA, I realized the city life is not for me. I prefer less amenities and places in exchange for better quality of life, less traffic, all seasons and all the pros and cons that come with the rain.
    Being a hospitality professional (Guest Relations Manager) in Los Angeles, I will try and get a job first in hotels and if I cannot, then I 'll go to my second skill which is bar tending and baristing (I know that's not a word... but you get the point lol). If that does not work, I will start applying for work in Dublin, as it is expected to have more choices over there. I am determined to make it work and I am only positive about this big move.
    Which brings the question.. besides planning, will I need luck starting a new life there or just confidence? 
    Let me know what you think... feel free to ask, judge, support and motivate or not.. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Live in the city centre or the traffic will drive you mental. You'll be welcomed, enjoy your stay!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

geanmage13 wrote: »
    Which brings the question.. besides planning, will I need luck starting a new life there or just confidence? 
    Let me know what you think... feel free to ask, judge, support and motivate or not.. :-)

Is it just you or will family/partner be coming with you?

Galway is a lovely city but as previous poster mentioned, traffic can be a pain if you are outside the side or far out in suburbs.

You will need no more luck or confidence that you need in LA or Greece, or anywhere else for that matter.

You will get wet! It rains. A lot. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 geanmage13

Thank you so much for the input guys!
    It is just me! Easier to deal with difficult situations when you have no dependents. I have booked my HomeStay in Knocknacarra as of now. Something cheap and not so far to get me started till I get a job and I am able to afford to live closer to the center.
    Growing up in Greece, I have dealt already with all the negatives that I might encounter in Ireland as mentioned in other posts. Bureaucracy, bad health system, bad traffic (Downtown Athens, Greece-> 45min for 5 miles), limited options etc.
    Also, living in LA, voted worst traffic in the world, bad air quality, being dry with no seasons and anonymity that hides all bad habits/acts/behaviours, I think I will be able to deal with Ireland and what comes with it.
    As for the rain... that is exactly why it is so GREEN and beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I have lived 10 years in Ireland. Moved from the UK. I'm never going back there or anywhere else.

I didn't like the first few months here. Didn't like my job or where I was living (Co Monaghan). Moved to Dublin, new and better job, loved Dublin.

Now living in the Midlands. It's grown on me. Made friends, I like my cottage and the simple life. I am 63.

I love the friendly people and the easy going way of life. I got used to the weather, if you can do the same then Ireland will be good for you, if you give it time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

You,ll be grand lad.
    Get a bicycle and some rain gear

• Advertisement

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I have lived 10 years in Ireland. Moved from the UK. I'm never going back there or anywhere else.

I didn't like the first few months here. Didn't like my job or where I was living (Co Monaghan). Moved to Dublin, new and better job, loved Dublin.

Now living  in the Midlands. It's grown on me. Made friends, I like my cottage and the simple life. I am 63.

I love the friendly people and the easy going way of life. I got used to the weather, if you can do the same then Ireland will be good for you, if you give it time...

Getting there without knowing anyone or having a job, I will definitely have more than enough time. Even after that, quality of life, as you mentioned, is great and for me that is a necessity that outweighs rain. :-)
    You,ll be grand lad.
    Get a bicycle and some rain gear
    Honestly, that is exactly what I am thinking. Thank you for the encouragement..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hotel jobs always seem in good stock here so given you've experience I think you'll be fine in terms of work.

Hotel jobs always seem in good stock here so given you've experience I think you'll be fine in terms of work.

I am so relieved to hear that. I was hoping for that and that is why I am coming end of May, before the summer officially starts.

Thank you again.. that's was great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'd say have some groundwork done before you come.
    Send your CV to some recruitment agencies in Galway and have meetings set up for May.
    Email companies directly that you would like to work for.
    Galways hospitality industry comes alive in the summer so you should have no issue finding a job for the first few months anyhow any had after that you should have money saved to have options.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Send your CV to some recruitment agencies in Galway and have meetings set up for May.
    Galways hospitality industry comes alive in the summer so you should have no issue finding a job for the first few months anyhow any had after that you should have money saved to have options.

The busiest week of the year in Galway is Race Week (end July/start of August) and the two weeks before that are Arts Festival which fills hotels too. Even if you don’t find suitable work immediately you’d be able to get some kind of work during those weeks I’m sure.
    I agree with the poster who said make enquiries before you come.
    Galway is a very welcoming city for people from outside Ireland (like me!) Very international feel, I’ve been here 13 years and never had a problem getting work or fitting in anywhere.
    If you are living in Knocknacarra there are regular buses to city, and cycle lanes alone main roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Welcome, The country is a grand country, Galway is a cracker of a city and full of culture.

If your willing to work, theres work out there.

You'll grow to love it.

I definitely plan on sending out my CV and hit the ground running. I will start applying in April, about a month before I get to Galway. I am not sure however how the recruitment agencies work and if they allow you to select the type of work. Although, to be honest, as soon as i get there, I will try and get anything just to keep me going :-)

The busiest week of the year in Galway is Race Week (end July/start of August) and the two weeks before that are Arts Festival which fills hotels too. Even if you don’t find suitable work immediately you’d be able to get some kind of work during those weeks I’m sure.
    I agree with the poster who said make enquiries before you come.
    Galway is a very welcoming city for people from outside Ireland (like me!) Very international feel, I’ve been here 13 years and never had a problem getting work or fitting in anywhere.
    If you are living in Knocknacarra there are regular buses to city, and cycle lanes alone main roads.
    I am glad everything worked out great for you... As you mentioned, it appears I will be coming to Galway at the right time before all the fun starts. Hopefully, I will be able to be part of that fun and will be already working :-)

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Welcome, The country is a grand country, Galway is a cracker of a city and full of culture.

If your willing to work, theres work out there.

You'll grow to love it.

Thank you so much! I have no doubt that I will love it and also have no doubt that if there's will, there is a way! That's also the motto of hotel guests that have unreasonable requests hahaha

I'd just like to point out that you look to have a great (and realistic) attitude, which I hope will help you find work immediately.

Galway is a very fun little city, and the fact that you work in the hospitality sector should allow for you to meet new people quite easily.

The major cons of Galway have been listed (weather, and traffic) but there are also all the other cons you would experience in most places around the world, such as some rude people, some anti-social behavior, etc. but these are experienced on a small scale in Galway.

You seem to have accommodation sorted for when you arrive. See what you think of Knocknacarra. I love it there. Depending on your working hours, you might never experience any major traffic issues.

Anyway, all the best with the move, you seem determined to make it work, which is the biggest part of the battle

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

40 days seems like a good start, it will give you long enough to decide if you like it here. Getting a HomeStay seems like a good idea as you get to meet Irish people immediately and I'm sure they will help you get everything else sorted.
    Welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I definitely plan on sending out my CV and hit the ground running. I will start applying in April, about a month before I get to Galway. I am not sure however how the recruitment agencies work and if they allow you to select the type of work. Although, to be honest, as soon as i get there, I will try and get anything just to keep me going :-)

Don't be surprised if you get very few responses before you actually arrive in the country: most people get dozens if not hundreds of enquiries from people who plan on coming here, and so are cynical about who will actually arrive.

However you should find work easily once you arrive: a foreigner with excellent English who's used to dealing with Americans will be well regarded in many Galway hospitality jobs.

And ... I gotta make a plug for the public transport :)www.GalwayTransport.info

I'd just like to point out that you look to have a great (and realistic) attitude, which I hope will help you find work immediately.

Galway is a very fun little city, and the fact that you work in the hospitality sector should allow for you to meet new people quite easily.

The major cons of Galway have been listed (weather, and traffic) but there are also all the other cons you would experience in most places around the world, such as some rude people, some anti-social behavior, etc. but these are experienced on a small scale in Galway.

You seem to have accommodation sorted for when you arrive. See what you think of Knocknacarra. I love it there. Depending on your working hours, you might never experience any major traffic issues.

Anyway, all the best with the move, you seem determined to make it work, which is the biggest part of the battle
    Thank you for your kind words. Being realistic will help anticipate the issues, being positive will help overcome them. I am also sure no matter how much planning I do, I will definitely have some unforeseen hardships. And it's fine really.. It's all part of the experience!!!

biko wrote: »
    40 days seems like a good start, it will give you long enough to decide if you like it here. Getting a HomeStay seems like a good idea as you get to meet Irish people immediately and I'm sure they will help you get everything else sorted.
    Welcome :)
    Not only I can decide If I like it there, which I have no doubt I will, hopefully it will be enough time to find a job as well which is my main concern at the moment. As for the HomeStay, nothing better than visiting a country and staying with locals to get the full experience. As soon as I get my own place, which realistically cannot happen soon, I plan on doing the same as well so I can help others as well...

Don't be surprised if you get very few responses before you actually arrive in the country:   most people get dozens if not hundreds of enquiries from people who plan on coming here, and so are cynical about who will actually arrive.

However you should find work easily once you arrive:   a foreigner with excellent English who's used to dealing with Americans will be well regarded in many Galway hospitality jobs.

And ... I gotta make a plug for the public transport   :)     www.GalwayTransport.info
    I have to admit that is something I would never think of and thank you for pointing that out. It totally makes sense to be skeptical about it. And I guess I would be too. Not everyone is as crazy (or fed up) as me, leave their well paying job, their family and everything else behind and follow their dream. 
    I have been wanting to visit Ireland for the most part of my life.. whether it's the people, the beautiful scenery, the accessibility to the rest of the Europe or the beer (of course) I have always felt a strong attraction to Ireland. 
    Regarding the public transport, I have heard mixed things.. I will definitely look into it. I cannot avoid looking like a foreigner but I can avoid looking stupid hahahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The hardest thing will be finding somewhere to live. If possible get references from previous landlords or whoever you were paying rent too. Alot of landlords or property management companies will look for these.

MadYaker wrote: »
    The hardest thing will be finding somewhere to live. If possible get references from previous landlords or whoever you were paying rent too. Alot of landlords or property management companies will look for these.
    I coyld dedinitely get a couple although I have been reading it doesn't really matter since I'm coming from a totally different country and mentality.
    Since I have my first 40 days with a host family, worst case scenario, after that,I can use the same concept for about the same money... 40 days go for about 750-1200 in or around Galway with the only difference being that's it's not YOUR space.

Coming in from a different country though, I just need a bed to sleep in and a job and the rest is of less importance. 😊 I'm trying to be realistic as to what my priorities are.. although as you mentioned, when the time comes, I will definitely have an issue as I have not read a single good experience from apartment hunting hahaha

Advertisement